Bit of a different post today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/Imperial%20Fists/_MG_4691.jpg

I've managed to hack the combi-melta off the back, as well as his arm now. The head is fully drilled out, completely smooth. Covering the back with green-stuff was honestly a challenge, as I've never done that sort of scale of smoothing, but I think it went well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/Imperial%20Fists/_MG_4690.jpg

Soon sculpting the little Fist details will begin.

Now, the question is do I use a MkIV helmet, or use Kantor's Laurel-head and give him a MkIV? Thoughts?

And yes, a face! Engel painted a face!

It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it. It's a little brighter in person, but I couldn't alter the brightness without messing up the colour of the blue. Needs some touch-up, that'll be done later.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/Imperial%20Fists/_MG_4685.jpg

At first I didn't think your yellow method would work out, but after I saw the terminators I was like Damn, that's good!

Why thank you!

I'm certainly most satisfied with my Terminators as I think the large expanses of yellow let it really shine through, whereas it kind of gets 'muted' a little bit the contrasting areas on the tactical marines. I'll be buying Black Reach to fill out two more Tactical Squads (spread across some salvaged mini's) and popping the spare Assault Terminator bitz on them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/Imperial%20Fists/IMG_4705.jpg

Sculpting isn't nearly as fun as people make me think it is... I'm happy about it though. It looks half-decent. The shield itself will probably be quartered white and black, as an homage to Sigismund.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/Imperial%20Fists/IMG_4706.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/Imperial%20Fists/IMG_4708.jpg

Work continues on the right arm. I'm using the Terminator arm just for simplicity, but overall I think I can make it look decent, as Helbrecht is a tad larger than a normal marine. I'll be using a normal shoulder pad too, so it shouldn't look too out of place.

Wish me luck!

nice work

Thanks! :HQ:

Further sculpting of Vladimir Pugh has continued.

Almost done. Finally got the arm straight, using the standard bearer's plastic arm. Advice from the poll was justified, the power-armoured arm looks MUCH better.

Now all that remains to be decided is the position of the head.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/_MG_4761.jpg

"Charge!"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/_MG_4763.jpg

"Go that way!"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/_MG_4764.jpg

"Argggh! With me!"

Personally, I prefer the first pose now he's standing up straight, but I'm still kind of wary about it, as his eyeline doesn't follow his body movement to the same degree I'd like it too, although it's only a slight turn.

What do you guys think?

I really like how your Pugh model is coming out so far. Have you thought about a helmetless head for him? As far as the which way he should be looking...why not put in a magnet so he can turn his head during the battle? Either this or you should try looking out along his right arm. The knee is bent that way and it would lend focus to the model.

I really like how your Pugh model is coming out so far. Have you thought about a helmetless head for him? As far as the which way he should be looking...why not put in a magnet so he can turn his head during the battle? Either this or you should try looking out along his right arm. The knee is bent that way and it would lend focus to the model.

I'm not one for magnets thusfar, I'd prefer to stick it one place as things tend to disappear when they're not bolter down. :( (One exception will be when I make my Utramarines an all-in-one Land Raider at some point)

Pose 1 seems to be pretty popular (the one you suggested) so I think that's where I'm going.

As for the bare head... I hate painting faces. I was very tempted to redo my librarian with a terminator helmet but couldn't bring myself to hack apart such a ridiculously, ridiculously beautiful model.

I think the helmet should be "sunk" into his collar if you get what I mean. His head where it is right now looks like his neck has been extended. Try drilling out a bigger hole so the helmet can fit in better. Besides that, I like pose 1 better. Pose 2 looks a little too "disco night" and something about pose 3...not digging it.

I think you probably need to cut down the head a bit. Not much, just about half way up the face grill. At the mo. the head looks a bit "stuck on top", it doesn't look natural. Do you get what I mean? His neck is far too long atm.

Meta.

Edited by meta-ridley

I did experiment with the clipped head, but it actually made him seem too short.

I've compared his head height to the head height of an Assault Marine (also has a running/in motion leg) and it appears they're the same height - his right shoulder pad is a little short, compared to a normal marine pad, which is what I think gives the illusion.

You're not the first to raise this point, I myself question it when I look at the pictures, but in person it looks fine. The problem stems from the fact that Helbrecht's default shoulder pads are very big in relation to his head, as big as a terminator shoulder pad.

When I removed his right and filed down his left, it took the shoulder pads to a lower height than they were before, making the head look a bit too high from a number of angles. (The blu-tak instead of greenstuff doesn't help either)

I compared him with an assault marine on the same height (also in motion) and their heads come to the same height.

Weird explanation, I know, but trust me, it looks good in person. :cuss

Anyway, I got around to painting 5th Company Captain Lexandro D'Arquebus today (Yes, really! He's back!) today and whilst my golden yellow went really funny, I'm happy with the overall result. The pics for some reason are showing a little more 'green' than he actually is, he matches the colours of the other finished models.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/wha.jpg

It could be better, he's not the showpeice model Pugh is going to be anyway. He gets on the field and that's enough for me. :)

Wasn't sure what else to do with the gap between the wings...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/Imperial%20Fists/_MG_4774.jpg

Honestly after my golden yellow started to look green after the first highlight/drybrush coat I'm calling it an accomplishment that I didn't have to strip him and start from scratch.

And yes, he uses Kantor's rules...

[Yeah pictures are looking a bit too bright and lemony, please hold while I fix it]

Edited by Inquisitor Engel

Small update:

[iMAGE REMOVED FOR PURIFICATION - THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Only the Emperor's Light shows the truth]

I've completed the standard bearer... without the standard... typical. I just want to spent lots of time on it and make it look really pretty... His torso is the Company Champion one with the tabbard clipped and removed and the collar-guard filed down. Looks cool, I love that particular Aquila.

Also completed is a Veteran with power weapon. I used the relic blade from the Vanguard box because frankly I think it looks awesome.

LARGE POINT:

It's come to my attention that if you're not viewing this page with a browser that supports native colour profiles (in my case, aRGB) and default reads everything as sRGB, you're new viewing my photos as they actually are.

I've used Photoshop's "Save for Web" option before, but had never thought about it until noticing that when I uploaded the photo, it would look like ass compared to what I had just dumped from Aperture/Photoshop.

I opened the same page in Safari and it looked slightly over-saturated because of how my screen settings are. Check out the difference, Safari IS closer to the real life. The Firefox page looks... green-ish and washed out.

22095788143_c83e9b33c6_o.jpg

Some research brought me to the above conclusion.

Now, I give you the PROPER version that actually looks like the real models [hopefully] despite what browser or OS you're using. (I'll post a write-up on this issue at some point in the future as well!)

22728127181_a1e3f9b2fc_o.jpg

I like it much better now!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

I've been obscenely slow, just other obligations and a general lack of really, really wanting to not have to paint any yellow whatsoever for a long long time.

I still have so much to do as well.

22716937125_cdc938b8bd_o.jpg

I'm pretty meh about it. Trying to get the white on his shoulder pad nice and smooth right now (one border and one solid, just different too!) and that's about it.

In an effort to break from it, I might start revamping my Eldar or painting my Night Lords... occasionally. We'll see. Encouragement would be good.

• 1 month later...

BEHOLD!

I have returned.

22690939416_817330b5fa_o.jpg

Finished the command squad and started on a Land Raider yesterday, my first day off from both jobs (teaching and retail) in over eight weeks. I'm still not satisfied with my photography, but it will do for now.

I'll be in the UK from late June to early July, so that really kick-started my need to get at least a viable army completed. Huzzah.

Yes, I'm aware it's oversaturated, I'm still trying to figure out the photo processing I had down prior to taking my break.

AND MORE! <_<

Work on the Land Raider is almost done, I've lost one of the sprocket doo-hickeys for the door on the bottom, but am stealing one from a friend tomorrow.

The insides are pretty much done, as I don't have any plans to have the roof be removable they only need to be passable from the main door.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/Imperial%20Fists/_MG_4792.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/Imperial%20Fists/_MG_4795.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/Imperial%20Fists/_MG_4796.jpg

Ink is the most amazing thing GW has ever produced... ever.

I don't MEAN to keep spamming my own thread, but here we go. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/Imperial%20Fists/group.jpg

In person, I get the nagging impression the tactical squads are more yellow/less orange than the other units, but on further inspection... all looks good. It's small and the center is out of focus, I know, this is really JUST about the colour.

Your fists are coming along great. I am loving your attention to detail and the overall cohesiveness of your force.

One minor suggestion on the helbrecht mini though. As I gather his armour is a MKII, It would look MUCH cooler if you managed to scrounge up a MKII helmet for him.

my 0.02 imperial credits

-T14

Thanks for the kind words. Pugh/Helbrecht is on the sidelines for now, thought I've got his head in place (which is lower than in my test shots due to the obvious blu-tak vs sculpted green stuff difference) and it looks much better and in-proportion with the backpack attached. (You will see soon!)

The outside of the Land Raider is sprayed and sealed, I'll be applying the drybrush layer(s) of golden yellow sometime this weekend. This week I'm best man in my best friend's wedding (I have known him since we were 10) so I'll be busy writing a speech tonight, rehearsal and dinner.

I should have WIP pics fairly soon. I'd forgotten how much fun vehicles are to paint!

Alright guys - a trip to the UK has meant this WILL be updated. School is ending soon and I'm just administering exams for the next week, so hopefully there's some more time available! I'll hopefully be having some games against some names you'll recognize, so I need this to be, in the words of Peter Griffin "*******' sweet."

The goal: June 17. Finished, decals applied and sealed.

What's done:

HQ

• Lexandro D'Arquebus (Counts-as Pedro Kantor)
  • Command Squad (5 strong)
  • Chief Librarian Grussman

ELITES

• Assault Terminator Squad 1 (5 strong)

TROOPS

• Tactical Squad 1 (10 strong)
  • Tactical Squad 2 (10 strong)

FAST ATTACK

• Assault Squad 1 (5 strong)

And that's pretty paltry. The Land Raider should be done by Friday. Hopefully. (If you have any suggestions for Squad/Sergeant names, let me know!)

Looking at what needs to be done, it's a tad daunting. Hopefully Snake Pliskin and I get some painting time together, that man can CRANK THEM OUT (but never freaking posts pics! Badger him via PM!)

What needs to be completed:

HQ

• Chapter Master Vladimir Pugh
  • Banner for banner bearer (designs please!)

ELITES

• Techmarine Trevelyan with servitors (5 strong)
  • Terminator Squad 1 (5 strong)
  • Sternguard Squad (10 strong)

TROOPS

• Tactical Squad 3 (10 strong)
  • Tactical Squad 4 (10 strong)
  • Scout Squad (10 strong)
  • Drop Pod

FAST ATTACK

• Vanguard Squad (10 strong)

HEAVY SUPPORT

• Land Raider "His Left Fist"
  • Land Raider "His Right Fist"
  • Whirlwind "His Wrath"
  • Vindicator "His Vengeance"

I CAN DO THIS.

Alright I've finally drybrushed the Land Raider up to the level I'm happy - I had to buy a fantastic brush and clip it down to about 1/4" and just abuse the hell out of it to get it where I wanted.

22716945275_7c14405dd0_o.jpg

Anyway - I'm happy. I did all the boltgun metal bits (still working on the top vents) and the corner inking (which is a little off for my tastes, but I'm satisfied). I need to purchase a new pen for some of the details, but it'll get done.

22728141151_18c9d7f55d_o.jpg

The revised goal, due to some "extra-curriculars" is Saturday night.

I think it fits perfectly with my completed minis thusfar.

22703393562_fd7bb49a77_o.jpg

Charrrrrrge!