• 4 weeks later...

Once again, I must say I'm blown away by the blade transition/gradient.

Thanks! Airbrushes do wonders. :) I'm getting a much nicer Pasche TG-3F for Christmas, which will be a step up from my basic Iwata Neo. 

TBF, I think going the more complex route colourwise really paid off, I usually have very little love for Custodes, but this is tremendously satisfying to see.

Thanks! I have a Custodes Contemptor waiting in the wings I'm really excited to get to as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

The latest Sentinal Guard joins the group.

551GWF4.png

cnmTvLO.png

I've tried press-moulding some other decals onto the back fo the Solarite Gauntlets and I've just never been satisfied, so varied decals it is.

Didn't quite get him done on January 1st, but I'm off to a better start than 2018! Onward!

1n1x9CL.png

Technically the guy in the middle was a test model and isn't part of the Sentinel Guard squad, he's technically kitted out so he gets to be included to show the consistency I've managed to get out of a pot of Liberator Gold which is frankly, a miracle.

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

Another Custodes down. Finished a Custodes Vexilla for the Hetaeron Guard. 

CKb2JL2.png

The Vexilla itself is from the Solar Auxillia command kit, and securing it to the top of the normal Custodes Vexilla staff proved a bit tricky. Ended up being more secure to shorten it a tad and use his hand as a more secure anchor. Made the left-handed sword. The hand holding it is a Grey Knight Terminator Hans, the pommel is a random bit I had sitting around. Ran a pin through them all to secure them.

Of course, my reference models are Custodian Guard, but I'm super pleased with how he turned out.

KpO7hKz.png

• 3 weeks later...
I've set up a painting station at my office to relax a bit between calls and such, just to get some variety in my day. Been working on the FW Knight Pilot I've had in my backlog for a while 

Fb2Flatl.jpg

Pretty happy with how he's going. Plan to add the cog teeth and crescent moons with a micron pen tomorrow. Super stoked. After this guy comes a Knight Lancer.

Aye, he looks good. Any ideas on how you'll base him?

Just the same as my other stuff, just some rocks. Nothing fancy. 

Decided to take a cool looking pic now I'm done with him. Added a quick base to match the other armies after finishing him at work today.

NXeTB8v.png

Very dapper chap. 

00nhe4f.png

Pleased with how the freehand house logo turned out overall.

FoAu1un.png

And a very strategic Aquila cut out from the Custodes vehicle transfer sheet works nicely on his shoulder!

N8I8oIf.png

Soon — A Knight Lancer!

• 1 month later...

Progress on the lancer is slow (just finished an Eldar Void Dragon) but I have been spending some time on part of the lancer's base!

House Malinax deserves what's coming to them! 

33bKgMV.png

I ended up printing my own decal since the actual Malinax decal sheet is wayyyyyy out of print. I ended up painting over them anyway, but they serves as great bases and guides versus doing actual freehand. 

LElAbLA.png

Ryy8EFI.png

Overall, I'm really pleased with this as the starting point to the base! Already planning out the pose to have him stepping on it. Hopefully my game has upped since my last Knight and the base decoration doesn't end up looking better than the model itself!

Thanks guys! 

You do know that you can share your Eldar stuff here, too, right? :smile.:

I've been here so long, it just feels weird to branch out from the Power Armour & Imperial Allies here... :) Why I remember the debate on adding Guard units well... 

And of course, another Custodes joins now the crew. Had some fun modifying his mane to give it something a little more distinctive. The guy above is from an Ork! Just not enough variety in those helmet plumes!

cr9mPva.png

Birthday gifts have given me a bit of an IF backlog now... I think the Storm Raven deserves to finally be finished next though. First — Some Night Lords command, then another Custodes... Then it's big-bird time.

(Can't forget the comparison!) 

3ftPtJz.png

Man the colour scheme on the custodes is awesome!

Went through all the pages of the thread and you can see how much you've improved a painter over the years, very well done mate.

Thanks! That means a lot. Sometimes I feel like I've maintained an OKAY standard overall, but then there's little details I notice that are just... Patience. Given the variety of what I paint (Night Lords, Eldar, Custodes, Knights, etc.) I'm pleased with my overall progress, especially given the somewhat lengthy breaks! 

It's amazing what just patience and age will "teach" you.

And an airbrush... 

Love your style! It's very clean but somehow gritty, that is probably what I am aiming for (I still have a long way to go)

Being able to model/paint from office is wanderful, I also am experimenting this, as I am the kind of person that daydreams about what to do next instead of work. Little paint pause keeps you wonderfully focused on both activities and, at the end of the day, you work very hard and also paint a lot, easing stress.

The pilot is great, I can really feel the prideful, confident carachter!

Great and original scheme for custodes. I love gold, but those red hot blades coming from those someway blackrock warriors are a thing of beauty. Reminds me of real life vulcanoes.

Keep up!

• 2 weeks later...

Love your style! It's very clean but somehow gritty, that is probably what I am aiming for (I still have a long way to go)

Being able to model/paint from office is wanderful, I also am experimenting this, as I am the kind of person that daydreams about what to do next instead of work. Little paint pause keeps you wonderfully focused on both activities and, at the end of the day, you work very hard and also paint a lot, easing stress.

The pilot is great, I can really feel the prideful, confident carachter!

Great and original scheme for custodes. I love gold, but those red hot blades coming from those someway blackrock warriors are a thing of beauty. Reminds me of real life vulcanoes.

Keep up!

Thanks!

Sometimes I paint during conference calls because... Well, conference calls.