House Hyperion now has a Knight Lancer!

5RPq26n.png

These boys are.... well, a little too big for me to properly take pictures of him! Still, a long and overall very enjoyable road. 

[imgur](https://i.imgur.com/VVSxdsU.png)

Took a while to get the pose down to something I liked that worked with the base I made. It's a heavy one. The arms are magnetized so can be pivoted up and down a little and maybe, just maybe, make transport easier assuming I ever take him anywhere!

AqrxkYt.png WbFaRUd.png

Pleased with the glow on both the lance and the shield. Took some work, including highlighting that wouldn't really occur IRL to bring out a natural feeling energy. 

kvmEbdg.png

Man, he tall. Only 4 more knights to go... 

The Lancer looks awesome - the extra effort on the badges looks worth it to me, very cleanly done and nice choice of color, turned out great! If there are four more knights to go, what's next? You've set a high standard for yourself. Edited by Sgt. Blank

• 1 month later...

The Lancer looks awesome - the extra effort on the badges looks worth it to me, very cleanly done and nice choice of color, turned out great! If there are four more knights to go, what's next? You've set a high standard for yourself.

I'm a slow painter. ;) 

Anyway... They may not be Knights, or even Imperial Fists, but during quarantine I thought I'd try something other than a Custodian to be a break between units. So I sent my sister (who lives in Nebraska, and I in Texas) the "design a Primaris marine" template and some printer issues later, my niece and nephew coloured in their designs. And away I went. 

nTbmNbj.png

Really went for some extreme "comic book" style highlights and shades, as well as everything started out as Contrast paints, just to keep things simple. These are actually the first Primaris I've done and while the lack of customizability in the kits disappoints me, they really are fantastically detailed kits. 

My niece, who is 4, did the purple/pink/yellow/green one, which I took a few extra liberties with to add some dimensionality to it, and my nephew, turning 7 next week did the the very purposeful one that looks like a Harlequin VW Bug was also a Transformer. Less liberties were taken, but man the different panel colours took some time! 

I know a few people were doing this at the start of quarantine, buf if you've got a kid, or close to some, I'd strongly recommend taking a break from the backlog, and just having some fun. 

Thanks! Always working on more... Sorta. Just very spread out... across several armies.

Ayyyy look, it's a CHUNKY Custodes Aquillon Terminator! I've kind of hit a flow with the quarantine painting (you know, right as it almost finishes) that I hope to ride out a bit. This guy just felt like a more fun model to do after a random Eldar. He was fun! Very easy to part-out and paint bit by bit, and put it all together in the end. 

QKAekaB.png

And all the colours match the other units! 

79IDMnE.jpg

Next up is a Night Lords Warmonger in terminator plate, Legion Vigilator (maybe for my Fists? Haven't done one of them in a while) and a conversion for 40k Night Lords as Decimus. Going to be a fun couple of weeks. 

• 3 weeks later...
Cheers Jacka!

Long weekend? Finished a Vigilator for my Imperial Fists (and a Warmonger for my Night Lords over in the other thread). 

ll57eB4.jpg

Used A LOT of different paints and techniques. Airbrush, contrast, washes, contrast over metallics, glazing. Really stoked with how it all came together.

Painting the rifle was an enjoyable time. Such amazing crisp detail on this model. Also chose a more subtle legion badge for the shoulder and combined a Fist and Templar cross for the leg.

O3dMcaw.jpg

Wonderful model. The way it parts out for part-by-part painting and then re-assembly is amazing. Fantastic model work by FW.

CsaYtTi.jpg

Had a lot of fun using Fallout Hobbies' camo stencils to do this, though I ... accidentally did it as desert camo first and had to strip and redo it.

PsHHrSm.jpg

• 1 month later...
Thanks all! Been updating my old Fists squads to 32mm bases this week, plus adding some new units here and there and making them compliant with the current codex (so, selling some of that beautiful honour guard that's no longer viable or has equivalents in either HH or 40K) as well as planning on adding some non-HW non-assault weapon spares to the tactical squads to make the viable in HH. Separated the squads into different shelves between stuff that can play HH and 40k, stuff that's HH, and stuff that's just 40K. It's a bit of a mess. 

But I also completed the squad leader of the Haeteron Guard! 

AJGmQ83.png

Base model is the FW Custodes Shield Captain. I filed away the knife to where he could hold the shield propped up underneath. Used a Tartaros Terminator power fist just like the others with some strategic cutting and decals to make it stand out. Helmet took some cutting and slicing to fit with the more decorative Shield Captain back plate, but I'm happy with how it turned out. Since I assembled it all separately, I was initially upset at having the cape blow the opposite way of the helmet plume, but looking at it all together, it balances the look of the model overall, and neither is wind-whipped enough to make it look *odd.* 

csbRIkl.png

Really getting the knack of this Contrast+Washes+Layer+Glazes thing for capes. The Warlocks the other week were a good sample and practice.

h9cpNEo.png

Felt like differentiating the shield from the other ones and used the top of a banner pole (or backpack thing?) with some sanding looks pretty solid. Very pleased with the overall look here. The real reason is I uhhh... lost the gem thing... 

Can't forget the group shot... 

YaxIz8N.png

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Bjorn! 

Alexis Polux DONE. This is my shot at getting featured on the Forge World web store on Instagram... Two-ish weeks well spent.

LYZdOQ9.png

I'm really pleased with my ability to write things with a Micron pen, but also very pleased with how consistent the yellow turned out across the entire model. Still a close but not perfect match to my 12-year old method wayyyy back on page 2! 

Y0gSIy6.png

The shield was a fun combo of metals, contrast, and washes. Really pleased with how it turned out so looking forward to replicating it on the Phalanx Warder shields.

4XBC9r8.png

This is ultimately my big shot to get featured on Forge World's product page for Polux. 
I think given the other example on there, I'm in with a shot! Like and share on Instagram if you kindly would. :wink: Just to you know, get their attention! 

In other Fist news, I've completed the proof of concept for my MKIII Phalanx Warders. Looking forward to getting to them at some point, but I've got Indomitus coming later this week. The Bladeguard did it for me. Primaris are coming. As soon as I figure out more shelf space... 
Edited by Inquisitor Engel

• 2 weeks later...

Fine work. I wish you success in earning recognition from Games Workshop.

Cheers Bjorn! No dice yet though... 

Anyway, total seesaw from the final dark years of M31 to the opening horrors of the galaxy of M42... 

I managed to resist going Primaris for an entire edition, but the Bladeguard look just works *so* well for the Imperial Fists Prussian knights sort of look. I told myself I'd finish the Lieutenant within a week of release, and I would have made it, but decided to strip and re-do the shield at the last minute yesterday. 

dvbSmtP.png

One frustration about the push-fit models (which are likely excellent) is that painting them before assembly means the micon-wide tolerances between pieces are negated. I've found myself having to scrape the paint off both the male and female ends of the fits and still push quite hard. It is... not great. I get that that's probably not the designed method of painting and assembly, and they'd definitely be easier to paint assembled than, say, tactical marines, but I did find it a bit frustrating. 

But man, this was a beautiful model. Like Polux, the yellow is still a little darker than many of the original Fists I did, but I love the ochre look, and given that's the coloru description the novels seem to be using for Fists (Gav Thorpe in particular likes it) I'm pleased with it. 

Really nice looking Fist!

I took advice from elsewhere in the Forge regarding push fit models (currently working on SM Hero’s 2).

Trimming the push fit pegs a bit both length wise and width has def helped, but the layer of paint must be frustrating.

It didn’t show in your final product though and that yellow IS a nice shade for the Fists.

• 2 months later...

I decided I didn't like the Indomitus Chaplain (I'm apparently the only one!) so I've spent the past couple of weeks doing the other Primaris Chaplain. 

oc89xnb.png

His normal head will replace the weird Justicar head! So it was win win! 

PhSvsF1.png

Shoulder pad from the IF upgrade sprue (which is VERY nice) and a nice mix of traditional paints, airbrushing, stippling and drybrushing for the leader, and contrast for some of shading and more unique colours. 

VzI0rwu.png

His name is Jonas. He's carrying the wheel. 

Those fists are lovely! If you dont mind sharing, what's your yellow recipe please? I have a plan to do a fists force next year.

Thanks!

Before you do my yellow... Ask yourself... Do you hate yourself?

The yellow is very ochre. I love it, but it is a little different to some of my Fists from 2008.

I’ve been painting my Fists for over 12 years now and this is the best way I’ve found to reproduce my old scheme now that paints have been discontinued and formulas changed.

1. GW Averland Sunset spray (I guess Citadel Air now?)
  2. 2-3 THIN spray coats (like, the thinnest possible) of Tamiya PS-19 Camel Yellow. Yes, you read that right, the one for Polycarbonates. This takes practice to get thin enough, so I recommend practising.
  3. Krylon matte varnish. This is necessary because PS-19 dries super duper slick and otherwise... Nothing sticks to it.
  4. 2-3 spray layers, including a zenithal highlight of Vallejo Game Air Gold Yellow 72.707
  5. Overall thin layer of 50/50 mix of Lahmian Medium and Agrax Earthshade all over to bring the brightness down a bit. Babysit it a little to make sure it only pools around the gaps and joints.
  6. Highlights are Vallejo Gold Yellow.
It’s a little more “orange” than my very first batch, but I love the clean and heraldic gold hue it gives off.

I’m tempted to try doing a few test models WITHOUT the Tamiya PS-19 and just going straight to Vallejo Gold Yellow, maybe an overall during then a Zenithal layer. Might try that on an Intercessor.

Thanks for this!

Ha, quite possibly. I think I'm only aiming for a relatively small force and I like the fists defensive nature. Plus I want to test myself. I may do a white scars force after!

I like the toned down colour. I've found it difficult to try and find a yellow im taken with. I will very much look forward to your next trial as it seems that using the Tamiya colour is a bit of a pain!

Thanks for this!

Ha, quite possibly. I think I'm only aiming for a relatively small force and I like the fists defensive nature. Plus I want to test myself. I may do a white scars force after!

I like the toned down colour. I've found it difficult to try and find a yellow im taken with. I will very much look forward to your next trial as it seems that using the Tamiya colour is a bit of a pain!

The shoulder pads on the Chaplain are actually Corax White > Averland Sunset > Zenithal Vallejo Gold Yellow > wash as described above. It came out OKAY and close enough for spot colour. I think Zenithal for the Vallejo is probably a little thin, so a fuller airbrush will it over the Averland Sunset is probably the ticket. Doing a Custodes at the moment but jumping in on some other Fists after. 

Thanks all! 

As is my wont between units of various armies, I did a second Custodes Aquillon Terminator! They're so beefy. 

bCbkhjJ.png 

Happy with how they're turning out. Now it's on to some MKIII 30K Phalanx Warders! Ten of them. I am... less than enthused. 

• 1 month later...

Cheers Jacka!

Long weekend? Finished a Vigilator for my Imperial Fists (and a Warmonger for my Night Lords over in the other thread). 

ll57eB4.jpg

Used A LOT of different paints and techniques. Airbrush, contrast, washes, contrast over metallics, glazing. Really stoked with how it all came together.

Painting the rifle was an enjoyable time. Such amazing crisp detail on this model. Also chose a more subtle legion badge for the shoulder and combined a Fist and Templar cross for the leg.

O3dMcaw.jpg

Wonderful model. The way it parts out for part-by-part painting and then re-assembly is amazing. Fantastic model work by FW.

Somehow I'm just seeing this - ridiculously good work here.  I haven't see many Vigilators done well, but this one definitely sets a high bar. 

Great job!