these look really really good :rolleyes: :D but does the librarian really need to be blue :D

Yes, yes he does.

Technically, no - he could be yellow with a blue loincloth, but it's not "traditional" (then again the members of 'The Phalanx' would have a fit if they say my squad markings and rank stuff, I'm keeping it codex dammit!) but hey, I think it looks good. Were I doing Raven Guard, he'd most assuredly be black with blue and company accents.

I did him blue principally to givemyself a break from all the yellow. My red Techmarine will be thrown in there somewhere too. :

You're of course free to paint yours as you like. :)

The Land Raider is being a pain to paint and I've started to rock the Sternguard.

These were sort of a giant pain to paint. Ever. I recently bought some new brushes, a new water cup (went from ceramic to plastic) and threw out my old rag.

Either the colour I was achieving with ease was a fluke of all these parts, or I got a bad pot of Golden Yellow. The sergeant was almost green for a while but I've mostly salvaged him. I'm not THRILLED with how he turned out, but I'm not on a deadline and he's higher than table top quality (but IMHO, so are my armies. They won't win painting competitions, but they stand up to closer-than-2-feet-away scrutiny.)

Anyway, I finally got the yellow matching the test Sternguard I painted with the first Tactical squad.

Hurrah.

22728144071_a946ea4366_o.jpg

I'm actually pleased with the general cohesiveness and the decals too. Microsol is the best. Thing. Ever.

22690956046_544810bb80_o.jpg

EDIT: Looking at the pics, I need to write a script for the image editing... Bleh.

Also, it's my birthday! :biggrin:

Edited by Inquisitor Engel

Nice fists man, love your yellow. I have found it really hard to get a good looking yellow on metal figures particularly, seems to be quite different to painting plastic. Plus those SG models have all that extra detail! But I really like how they turned out, looking forward to seeing more. Keep up the excellent work!

I agree, the yellow is really nice! Good job!

One minor detail: Imperial Fists veterans don't usually wear white helmets, but a red stripe on a yellow helmet. But since my veterans also have white helmets (and look stunning with them) I'll ignore that and just enjoy the sweet minis :P

Thanks! :Elite:

The yellow on the remaining two in this batch (doing squads 5 at a time now, just to get more done and be less stressed about the amount in front of me) is a little more orange than the others, but I'll live. Part of it, I think, is because I haven't based them and they don't have that contrast. *shrug*

One minor detail: Imperial Fists veterans don't usually wear white helmets, but a red stripe on a yellow helmet. But since my veterans also have white helmets (and look stunning with them) I'll ignore that and just enjoy the sweet minis :Troops:

I also chose to ignore this because white looks way better. :lol: The red stripe thing, as far as I'm concerned, is a relic from the days of paraplegic chapter master of the 3rd founding Ultra Marines, Lord Macragge and his half-Eldar chief librarian. :FA:

I really haven't seen anything of late that actually goes through the IF Codex patterns, even the Insignium Astartes just says "Company denoted by shoulder pad trim," with nothing else, that, to me, says they're Codex.

The people over at "The Phalanx" forum would have a fit. :HS:

Wow, the productivity in this log is amazing, reminds me that I need to finish my fists :biggrin:

Haha - I wish it was amazing. Over the next month or so it grow by leaps and bounds.

22529028380_daf630b9f1_c.jpg

The heavy weapon Sternguard. Heavy flamer (actually an assault weapon! Woo!)

22703402892_59a15b1246_c.jpg

The first five. Going to pick up some more spray paint tomorrow and do the first five Vanguard, then 5 in a tac-squad, 5 in another. I'll throw in the Terminators, some vehicles and a Techmarine in there somewhere.

Reducing it to 5-per-squad at a time really helps, it doesn't seem so daunting sitting on my painting tray!

The smooth-as-a-baby's-bottom decals.

22094204624_491fa1ab7b_c.jpg

And lo, did a break from the yellow begin already...

22690962616_322fe377ee_c.jpg

I like him so far, but I have absolutely no idea what colour I should do his harness. Suggestions?

In fairness, I sprayed the first five Vanguard today and they look good. FYI - Tamiya sprays for polycarbonates go on much smoother to metal than plastic. That said, I've finally gotten back in the swing of spraying evenly, so hopefully the mess with the Sternguard won't be repeated.

First two Vanguard done... These guys have entirely too much detail and I'm reminded how much I hate painting jump packs... bleh. Colours are washed out for some reason regardless of settings. *shrug*

I'm mostly satisfied.

22529034610_02a72ecbd7_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

BEHOLD!

I've done some work (almost done with the first half of another tactical squad and finished the final Vanguard) and in the meantime have also been working on some resin-casting.

It hurt to slice up part of a $50 box set just to make some heads, but it was required. This is my first experiment is resin-casting and it didn't turn out PERFECT but it did work well enough for me to be quite pleased.

22728159691_3cc2ec13e1_c.jpg

What used to be Master of Recruits required the least conversion, though unfortunately I'm stuck with what to do with the guy with the axe's other arm (as holding the bolter that way would be... weird) I need a sheathed sword for the guy who would normally have a Thunderhammer, but I can't seem to find a decent one that I'm not already using. Suggestions?

Chapter Standard Bearer - Used the Iron Warriors head as it's closest to the one in the box, which I could not hack off and keep usable unfortunately. I'm pleased, but I'm concerned how I'm going to make an awesome enough banner.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5707/22728157691_b92a0045a4_c.jpg[/img

Chapter Champion - Two close combat weapons - The unsheathed one is made of a Space Wolf sword with half a FW brass Aquila on each side. I like it :smile: He can also stand in for Sicarius (Probably Captain of the 2nd) in a pinch - I'll probably magnetize a plasma pistol and his other sword for that purpose (or perhaps not... it would be pretty clear who he's supposed to be in that case)

22690965926_a892f40e69_c.jpg

Really nice Chapter Champion, I'd like to use the same idea for a Captain I've had planned for quite a while now, though he'll be armed with a bolt pistol instead of a second sword. It's great to actually see someone's version of a Chapter's Honor Guard, and the Fists at that! :P

Nice conversions!

How come the honor guard's helmet are in resin (i think atleast) rather than metal? have i just not read enough of the post?

-NT

Because ordering those suckers and clipping off their heads four times (I do have a spare) would be excessively expensive. :P

I bought one box, hacked off two and cast twice. Worked like a charm (for the most part). It was also way, way cheaper.

Thanks for the kind words. :) These guys are currently at the bottom of my "to paint" list unfortunately, as I have to get a good portion of the fighting force done by the 18th of June for a trip to the UK (and by extension, Warhammer World).

Like the work :)

If you still havent resolved the "other arm" issue and want to use a bolter, i would suggest having one hanging on it's strap with the arm above, restraining it from flapping about.

also, as i sit here seeing "posted today" its the 21st of may, so i hope you got the month wrong or dude, you missed it :P

Thanks!

If you still havent resolved the "other arm" issue and want to use a bolter, i would suggest having one hanging on it's strap with the arm above, restraining it from flapping about.

I actually started on this conversion last night. Need to go buy some plasticard strips for the strap though (I'm no good at smooth green stuff strap! I tried!) but I'm looking forward to it.

also, as i sit here seeing "posted today" its the 21st of may, so i hope you got the month wrong or dude, you missed it :)

Yeah I meant June. ;) Fixed now.

Ha-ha!

Sternguard finished a couple of nights ago, been a bit busy since with real life.

I'm happy with how they, as a whole, turned out. Despite being done in two batches of five, the yellow is consistent, as is the white. This was one unit I HAD to get done to lay down some massive hurt (via Drop Pod, potentially with Lysander if I can bring myself to paint one before the deadline, amongst everything else). I'm happy. :smile:

22728161491_91a539bd01_c.jpg

22716970945_ed7414fb8b_c.jpg

The metal sternguard details were much less frustrating to paint than the metal vanguard details... which is odd, considering they're the same...

Sternguard groupshot!

22095825983_423db5c491_c.jpg

Unfortunately, I've learned what a terrible, terrible pain it is to paint scouts. I've done a test with brown fatigues but given the cityfight nature of the army and bases, I'm not sure if an urban camo might be better.

Then again, I don't think that would look particularly good with the yellow... You guys be the judge!

22728166021_39a2e91595_c.jpg

The_Chaplain - Thanks, I'm really proud of the yellow. I'm honestly always worried about how it will be even, with the drybrushing, but even with minor variations, it's impossible to tell in squads.

Rafen - Do it. :wink:

I've done a test scout with something more "urban" (urban like buildings, not urban like Jay-Z) and toned down the yellow on the initial scout.

Honestly, the urban doesn't do it for me. It looks... off. Even making the fatigues camo would just look off. Toning down yellow on the gauntlets and boots definitely improved the balance of tones on the first scout.

Thoughts or opinions?

22703420352_5c42acdb39_c.jpg

Hey Inquisitor Engel!

Nice Resin heads :tu: How d'you do it? I've been trying myself with Latex forms (which work well), but the resin is usually too thick to flow right into the small neckhole...what sort of resin did you use/how d'you do it?

By the way, nice models, I do Fists as well :P For Dorn!

Edited by Ufthak

Nice Resin heads <_< How d'you do it? I've been trying myself with Latex forms (which work well), but the resin is usually too thick to flow right into the small neckhole...what sort of resin did you use/how d'you do it?

I had to try a number of mixes to get it right - there's no necks on the heads themselves, that's all green stuff, it was LITERALLY just the helmet. Keep trying at it, you'll find a mix that works for you!

No one have an opinion on the scout?