Index Astarts: Dark Sons

Ferrata

With the release of the new Space Marine codex and the 'flood' of new background, some DIYers found themselves shot in the foot by Games Workshop. One such DIYer was myself, with my interpetation of the Dark Sons. Games Workshop decided to give the chapter the home planet of Darkhold opposed to my Esmos Hiberia, though thankfully they placed it near to the Eye of Terror. Whilst this is by no means the worst incident, SSC had his Brazen Claws heavily broken by GW and Barrett had a chapter named the Knights of the Raven. I took this time to look over the old article and improve it. Even a hand full of months can allow you to see the mistakes you made in your first attempt. So here it is, the new and improved (and Darkholded) Dark Sons. Thanks for reading.

The Tormented Souls

The Dark Sons

Space Marine Chapter

Origins

The Dark Sons are a product of the post-Heresy Imperium still suffering from the wounds of betrayal. Whilst the reclamation and rebuilding of worlds lost still continued, the armies of the Imperium turned its gaze to the Eye of Terror, the last refuge of the traitor legions. Upon their founding, the Dark Sons were drafted into the newly formed Astartes Preases, a brotherhood of chapters dedicated to watch the dark abyss that could spew Chaos filth at a moment

Edited by Ferrata

I hadn't read this the first time, but I've read it now, and I must say, I really, really like it :HQ: You've made a marine force extremely human, while maintaining the superhuman, heroic foundations.

I found myself questioning the strength of the drug-reliance when you mentioned it's not uncommon for the Sons to look beyond kykeon... I first thought "ok, drugs etc, I get it, no need to go *too* far". They started coming across as desperate junkies in my eyes... but after further thought, and taking the entirety of their history and character into account, I think it still holds. It's a tough fight, and they're burdened by circumstances they probably hate and curse, but they're holding themselves together, upright and focus forward, for the Emperor and His people. They'll do what's necessary to maintain this, so experimentation is more a logical necessity than a sign of some sort of crumbling willpower.

You've kept Darkhold just right, the explanation gives a great imagery and finds a welcome place in their otherwise arduous, pain-wracked existence. I really like this. The eclipse tie in with the chapter badge is a nice touch too. Well done.

I also really like the inset quote by Chaplain Azeus, it's well written and says an awful lot about the chapter in just five short lines. To me it seems like you've communicated a lot about who they are, their strengths and their weaknesses, and their outlook on their purpose and lives, in a very small segment. This alone added a lot to the IA for me.

Outside of these points, I haven't really got anything to add. From what I know of fluff writing and canon (admittedly little, to be frank, but still) it all seems well executed and flows quite well. Kept me reading, which is saying something at the moment. Stuff like this keeps me enthused about working properly on my chapter when I get proper time to sit down. Congrats on the good job man.