Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Phantoms Blog

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
173 replies to this topic

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Right then, for Christmas I got a few models to help me finally get this army started, even though apparently it wont ;) Ah well it's my army :evil:

Moving on, I bought a whole load of paints and got a Scout squad + sniper rifles box and a vanguard vet box. Both have been spraypainted black and I'm busy painting the Scouts right now. I'll get some pics up soon.

One question: what should I paint the soft armour for the scouts?

EDIT: PICS ARE BELOW. SCROLL DOWN TO VIEW. THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

Edited by Hubernator, 22 July 2010 - 12:41 PM.

QUOTE (StrangeGuy @ Jan 28 2010, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jonny the Space Marine)
-Don't like Vampires. If they "sparkle" though, my wife and 2 daughters just may take up 40K!

Vampires don't sparkle!!!! *ragefilledheadexplosion*

Terminatorinhell

Terminatorinhell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,370 posts
white maybe?

gallery_24779_1036_30733.jpg

The Emperor's Champion:
"Never forget, getting tackled by a charging Marine is a LOT like getting hit with a VW Beetle at 30+mph. A VW that hates you and everything you stand for..."

With a lonely whisper you hear him say, on this night you will die this way...

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Maybe some pics will help. Here's what I have done so far:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pics arent the best because of lighting, but hopefully you get the idea.

Edited by Hubernator, 28 December 2008 - 08:21 PM.

-Don't like Vampires. If they "sparkle" though, my wife and 2 daughters just may take up 40K!

mitchell93

mitchell93

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts
bleached bone or dark brown of some sort
QUOTE (The_Betrayed_Spacewolf @ Aug 13 2010, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
eldar are like well..... cartman, from south park. He hates you for being you, but if he needs your help hes your friend.

You, yes you; go read this now!

Shortsonfire79

Shortsonfire79

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,967 posts
A lighter teal. Some sort of semi-lighter color. Not super light! But lighter.
Aim: Shortsonfire79 | Yahoo: Shortsonfire79@yahoo.com | Gmail:Shortsonfire79@gmail.com | MSN:Shortsonfire79@hotmail.com
My messenger program runs all of those at once, so I'm always on. Hit me up, lets talk about 40k and life.

Black Fists 1st Company Thread
For Dorn!
The magnet master
BITZ SEARCH!!!! PLEASE HELP?? (link)

I am accepting commissions for Forgeworld building. I know many of you may love Forgeworld, but I'd just love to get my hands on something just to build it, you can keep it. :) You don't even have to pay me! Just for the product! :D

Marek Grimfang

Marek Grimfang

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,239 posts
A grey or khaki.
Greater Toronto Area, Canada.
B+C member since 2000.
Lord's Realm - R.I.P.
-Blood and Honour-

http://www.passionep...trider-logo.jpg

Terminatorinhell

Terminatorinhell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,370 posts
hmm now that I see it, Khaki.

gallery_24779_1036_30733.jpg

The Emperor's Champion:
"Never forget, getting tackled by a charging Marine is a LOT like getting hit with a VW Beetle at 30+mph. A VW that hates you and everything you stand for..."

With a lonely whisper you hear him say, on this night you will die this way...

Honda

Honda

++ HOSTICUS PLAUSTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,549 posts
Since I have so much experience with your chapter (inside joke), I would consider Codex Grey. I prefer softer contrasts and think that would go well with your teal and dark green scheme.

Cheers,
Posted Image

"All those rumors about us being intolerant and stubborn really just evolved from our history. We're actually just a fun bunch of guys who enjoy burning witches" - Anon

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
So grey or a light-ish brown. I shall get onto it right away :) I started painting the yellow on the aquilas (which is a pain when the undercoat is black :D). Note to everyone; use white as an undercoat for yellow if you don't like using up paint :P

Pics soon :)

Edited by Hubernator, 28 December 2008 - 08:25 PM.

mitchell93

mitchell93

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 613 posts
also use grey as a base for white
QUOTE (The_Betrayed_Spacewolf @ Aug 13 2010, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
eldar are like well..... cartman, from south park. He hates you for being you, but if he needs your help hes your friend.

You, yes you; go read this now!

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Yes, it's update time. Moving quite fast now that I know where I'm going (sorta). Anyhow, here's an update:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The grey was made by mixing Skull White with Chaos black, then adding touches of Calthan Brown until I thought it looked right. The dark brown is just Calthan Brown with Chaos Black.
Now, at one point I wanted to neaten up some of the green. So I made some more paint... ;) yeaaaah made a little too much... so I decided to give my vaguards a good covering of the colour as I was going to anyway; sooner rather than later, no? :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll get to work when I've completed the Scouts. C&C welcome :)

Sons of Horus

Sons of Horus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,077 posts
i get the impression of ghostly when i hear phantoms so keep the colours very light. go for light green, white, and light blue.

Kill for the living! Kill for the dead!

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Yeah... not the colour scheme I did for the IA mate. Updates on the way :)

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Update time. Started assmebly now, still have to work on the heads of all 5 Scouts :D Fun fun.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BrotherDamascus

BrotherDamascus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 413 posts
well if it isnt the Hubernator :)

IM BAAAACK!

*cough*

anyway, its great to see the phantoms again - this time in model form :tu:

liking the progress so far mate, be sure to keep it up :o

watched :)

<<Damascus>>

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
My word It's Brother D :P You've been gone a long time :P Welcome back anyways and thanks for the comments :D And yes I won't let this army down; they need to be done, I've been putting them off for too long :o

BrotherDamascus

BrotherDamascus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 413 posts
i've put off my chaos so much im forgetting i invented them and making loyalists XD

ah well, i blame all the new marine stuff :o

Drop pods for the win :D

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
:o maybe you should get your army back on track then :P that or continue producing Loyalists to fight for the Empore :D

BrotherDamascus

BrotherDamascus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 413 posts
im thinking about a name right now - i got a colourscheme and, in my head , i want to have lots of bionics for my marines: the next step is finding time to do it :/

so, hows the progress with the Phantoms now?

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Try IH successor, that'll give you good leverage with the bionics. AS for the Phantoms, they're doing great. Ia is nearly done, needs some expaning in places and a cleanup, then I can stick it in the Librarium. However, the models are taking priority at the moment.

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Update time, just a small one. Got the other 2 scouts glued together (almost)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had a spare sniper rifle that I painted and somehow ended up not using, so I've made it into an objective/marker/thingy :D

Posted Image

Still needs touching up in places, and the heads need finishing :) C&C welcome

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
No love? :) Ah well, heads are partly done, need finishing off now. So update soon.

grim0thy

grim0thy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 51 posts
I think the best thing for you to use would be some washes to kind of 'step up' to the next level of painting. From what I can see, and apologies if I'm wrong, you're using block colours - no highlights, washes etc etc. Other than that, just pay attention to how you're painting - brushes you're using consistency of paints and the like - aim to improve it to get a better finish.
These are not just genetically engineered superhuman warriors, these are M&S genetically engineered superhuman warriors.

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Wise words grim0thy. I will be using a green wash for the green parts, dont have any others for the appropriate colours however. Highlighting I keep getting wrong, so it's something I avoid :) Coating wise I do need to practise getting thinner paints, which I haven't done so far. Models do need touching up in places, which I'll get done once I've glued them all together.

Thanks for the comment :)

grim0thy

grim0thy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 51 posts
No problems matey. You don't necessarily have to use an applicable wash for every colour. I predominantly use a black wash for my marines (however bear in mind my marines are painted mostly using boltgun metal). You can always wash with a darker colour using the GW washes, (or make your own by watering down your normal colours) then going over the sections to make get rid of some of the darker staining on raised sections you're bound to come across.

About your avoidance on highlighting, you know the old adage: practice makes perfect? I think it's applicable here. :) Highlighting is something I'm working on now too, so I do feel your pain Hubernator.
These are not just genetically engineered superhuman warriors, these are M&S genetically engineered superhuman warriors.