Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Phantoms Blog

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
173 replies to this topic

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Didn't think of doing that... might be able to get away with that <_<

As for highlighting, good luck on that. I might give it a go.

QUOTE (StrangeGuy @ Jan 28 2010, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jonny the Space Marine)
-Don't like Vampires. If they "sparkle" though, my wife and 2 daughters just may take up 40K!

Vampires don't sparkle!!!! *ragefilledheadexplosion*

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
An update is on the way folks. The scout heads are almost done, i'll finish them off tomorrow and get some pics up :)

-Don't like Vampires. If they "sparkle" though, my wife and 2 daughters just may take up 40K!

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
And here is said update. Didn't get the heads done today, should get them done this week; school decided to get to start today, even with snow ><

Posted Image

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
There's another update on the way this weekend. Got the heads glued on :) I'll have a crack at some homemade washes and maybe some highlighting. Pics soon :)

Narthecium

Narthecium

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,911 posts
Hey Hubernator,

Glad to see you getting your army off the ground! Welcome aboard!

I like how you use yellow to pick out the lenses of the goggles and the sniper rifle. It's an unusual choice, and really makes them stand out. I think so long as you don't overdue any yellow on the models (like maybe just the eyes of the vanguard, or something) you will avoid a "Sprite can" look. I had to pick my colors very carefully on my marines because the base colors are red and white, and they have blue eyes...that's right, I had to be super careful with the blue and white accents or I would end up with "U.S. Flag Marines." And I don't want my army to convey a sense of something like that when people look at it. :)

Keep up the good work!

"It is good that we have seen such terrible things. For now, death will be no great sorrow."

Simple Green is made of people! (Product Review: Simple Green)

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Thanks Narthecium :) Yes, the yellow is bright, and that's the whole point :) And I did take into account that I wont need much of it; its only on the scope, the lens and the aquilas... and the backs but that'll be on a couple of scouts :P

Narthecium

Narthecium

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,911 posts
Also, don't be scared of highlighting. It's very easy. Basically just take the edge of your brush (near the tip, but NOT the tip) and put a VERY light amount of paint onto it. Run the edge of the brush over the edge of "high points" on the model..such as the ridges on a helmet, the knuckles on a hand...it is extremely difficult to get ahold of at first but it is very easy once you pick it up.

And thankfully, you have picked a dark color which will be extremely easy to highlight! Just take a lighter version of the same color (for instance, I usually use blood red to highlight gore red or scab red) and run it over the edges. In your case, a lighter green will work or maybe an aqua. You could even highlight with a white or a light grey (such as codex grey) and have it still come out well.

If you want to get fancy, you could do codex grey highlighting and then do a light wash of thraka green over it to blend it into the armor a little better. :)

Also, might I suggest you buy an assault from black reach box to get your forces off the ground? That will provide you with a whole tac squad, a terminator squad (of five), a commander, and a dreadnought. And often times you can find an ork player to trade your ork stuff for his space marine stuff. Or failing that, you will at least have another army to paint and play against in your spare time. :)

Edited by Narthecium, 07 January 2009 - 07:45 PM.

"It is good that we have seen such terrible things. For now, death will be no great sorrow."

Simple Green is made of people! (Product Review: Simple Green)

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
That idea I like. Now, if only I had Codex Grey...

*raids bro's bedroom for his grey paint*

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Right, update time again. Almost finished the Scouts, took forever to get the ehads right but I kinda said sod it and left them :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The marker I decided to add the bipod with it to add "something"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Highlighting I've given a try, will show off the results sometime tomorrow :)

Edited by Hubernator, 08 January 2009 - 08:31 PM.

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Got some pics of the attempted highlights.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Currently basing them now, and it's not going well (cursed PVA glue <_<)

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Okay, final update on the Scouts; they're finished :D Based and all. Just need a gloss and they get a trip to the HoH (and my shelf :))

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finished the marker too :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

C&C please and thankyou

NemFX

NemFX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,407 posts
Sorry I'm a bit late finding this one, but; camo on the pants would look good. A darker gray or maybe light blue, would work. Make them look a little more scouty you know?

.. Monopoly just wasn't the same after I called down an orbital strike on Baltic Avenue.
.. There is no problem that 42 heavy bolters can't cure.

New Reno or Bust - The Enclave thread

Terranis Holds - The Kreig 68th derivatives thread

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Yes you are a tad late :P I haven't tried camo before (cos i haven't painted anything else before :lol:) so I could try that out next time.

Leonaides

Leonaides

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,650 posts
If you're after a few ideas for camo schemes/colours that might work - check the IG book - its got lots of them in (those poor little un-augmented humans need some kind of help to survive I suppose)...

How's yr bro doing with his britains force IA?

"most gamers (especially ones who frequent forums) are idiots of one form or another" Great Crusade 08
LPC 2009 LPC 2010  LPC 2011 LPC 2012 LPC 2013 ETL VII
gallery_19254_8784_1046.gifgallery_19254_8784_3201.gif gallery_19254_8784_3710.gifgallery_19254_8523_59626.jpggallery_48988_15465_15162.png

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
I would if I had it ;) Well I'll have a muck about on a spare body I have sometime soon. I also just got some spare bits for a multi melta marine (thanks to my bro) so that'll be put up on here :)

As for his IA, he hasn't been working on it lately. I won't prompt him because he's busy with his ultramarines.

Leonaides

Leonaides

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,650 posts
You could always just google RL camo patterns?

This one might be helpful Camo linky

"most gamers (especially ones who frequent forums) are idiots of one form or another" Great Crusade 08
LPC 2009 LPC 2010  LPC 2011 LPC 2012 LPC 2013 ETL VII
gallery_19254_8784_1046.gifgallery_19254_8784_3201.gif gallery_19254_8784_3710.gifgallery_19254_8523_59626.jpggallery_48988_15465_15162.png

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Cheers for the link. I'll pick one out or something and see what happens.

In the mean time, SNOW DAY :) But the snow is rubbish, so I got to work on a multi-melta I got from my bro :(

Posted Image

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Look at dis! speedy painting! :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and now, a question. To those who know what the Phantoms look like, there's that weird light turquiosy colour for trim and the feet. Now I painted something like it but I'm not entirely satisfied. What do you think?

Posted Image

Heru

Heru

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,280 posts

and now, a question. To those who know what the Phantoms look like, there's that weird light turquiosy colour for trim and the feet. Now I painted something like it but I'm not entirely satisfied. What do you think?

Posted Image

Looks like blue not teal. The kind of teal you have on the painter image is more like the old discontinued Vile Green than what you have there, I believe the closest equivalent would be Vallejo's Foul Green.

Also in regards to your yellow chest eagles, in my opinion they might have looked better in gold.

Edited by Heru Talon, 03 February 2009 - 04:44 PM.

My Chapters (Blue) & Traitors (Red):
gallery_20677_1567_12051.jpg
1st Row: Falcon Knights, Darkwatch, Silver Scorpions, Phantom Hounds, Onyx Warlords, Wicked Gods, Wolves of Horus, The Blight, The Bloodborn
2nd Row: Iron Raptors, Immortals, Imperial Monarchs, Starbreakers, The Shadow Kings, The Fallen Lords, Black Wasps, Black Oracles, Dream Eaters

Brother Gothard

Brother Gothard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,917 posts
Painting looks great. Could really be made better with a bit of the new GW Washes.
"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking and racing to come up behind you again"

Captain Mick

Captain Mick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,858 posts
Yep all looks really good, copper part of the melta-gun could use a wash of Devlan mud an at metal a wash of badab black whould do wonders already ;).

My Archived UM Topic : http://www.bolterand...howtopic=151653 (Last updated 13-08-2010)
My Archived Death Guard topic: http://www.bolterand...howtopic=208519] (Last updated 21-01-2011)

New Deathguard Topic: http://www.bolterand...ed-death-guard/ (Updated 27-06-2018)

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
@Heru: Yeah I agree, it does look a bit blue, just wasn't convinced is all. I've tried mixing the green I've been using white white and turquoise but so far no good. I'll kee trying.
Oh, and the chest eagle stays yellow ;)

@Gothard & Mick: I would, if I had them. But I don't, so those'll have to wait... or I make my own of course ;)

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,708 posts
Personally I think that the green is too dark compared to your IA image. Maybe if you lightened it the colours would look better together.

My WIP Space Marine Chapter

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
Mmmmm I'll take another look. Might add more Hawk Turquoise to the green. Thanks for the heads-up Ferrus.

Edited by Hubernator, 03 February 2009 - 06:53 PM.

Hubernator

Hubernator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,634 posts
WOOT Another Snow Day ;) So after throwing some snow around for an hour I retreated indoors and got stuck in again. So here's the latest:

Posted Image

Getting close to cutting the pieces out and gluing the model together.