Help with Eldar

Karzex

Hello all I'm a new member here at TB&C cut couldn't find help with tactics playing against a non-conformist eldar army. I unfortunately don't have an army list of mine to post as it changes every two weeks to try and find the best combination of men, but if i post my main opponent's army list maybe you could all give me some pointers. It should be noted that i only started playing 40k in September. (also so the moderators don't attack me, i do play space marines :o Salamanders to be exact) This may not be considered fair by some, asking for help, but Ive lost every game Ive ever played to him, and that adds up to something like 14 strait losses and I'm really tired of it.

Well here is his list as i remember it

HQ- farseer with all the bells and whistles like 4 saves against perils of the warp and such

Troops- 16 man guardian squad with scatter laser platform and warlock with witchblade

6 man dire avengers squad in a falcon with the powers that stop immobilization

5 man pathfinders squad

I'm not sure where the rest belong on the list but he also has

6 man howling banshee squad

6 man fire dragons or a 6 man warp spider squad depending on his mood

and a big walker (forget the name right now) with a bright lance and wraithblade

Any and all help will l be welcome as im really tired of losing. I'll check back and respond after work (11pm standard eastern time) so quick responses would be helpful but aren't necessary. Thanks again ;)

Do you take drop pods? tie up the farseer in combat as then it can't use any psychic powers, you do kjnow that the Falcon can still be immobilised but just isn't destroyed. Fire all of your heavy weapons at the Falcon use a large Sternguard squad using Hellfire rounds to take out the Wraithlord and also stay out of the line of sight of the pathfinders, dont try to outshoot them take them out in combat.

That's about it for now just remember if his units are isolated they are weak, Eldar only work well with all of their units working together.

Against any unit BUT the Banshees, and the Wraithlord, you're going to own the Eldar player in close combat.

Ignore the Falcon! Wait until it drops a unit, then kill that unit.

Avoid or tie up the Wraithlord with "expendable" units.

Play mobilized somehow and get your Marines into rapid fire range of the guardians, into flamer range with the pathfinders, and into CC with the Dire Avengers and Fire Dragons.

You need to focus on mobility and KILLING.

6 strong squads will die badly to the concentrated firepower of two basic tactical squads. They'll die even faster to "killy" units.

Pick one unit a turn and annihilate it. Once it's killed, move on to the next unit. Like a previous poster said, stay concentrated.

Don't be overly afraid of the banshees, this meaning that they don't deserve too much attention. They're still STR3 so they will need fives for the power swords to even become a factor. Against the wraithlord you have a lot of ways to take this down. Kill the Farseer (Is that how the rule works? Doesn't he have to be withing 6"?) make it take a **** load of saves (Hellfire rounds, snipers always wound on 4+ and rend on 6's (I personally use a full sniper squad in every game but whatever works for you) or some attention from an all ML dev squad will usually put the thing out of commision.

Falcons are a bit frusterating but can be dealt with. Fire dragons are ridiculously low range so an assault squad can make quick work of them...I really can't see how this would give you a problem unless you really have few models to choose from. A generalist army can actually counter this with ease. Just try to prioritize targets and kill the real threats.

Thanks for all the replies guys. :lol: I'll try the isolate and kill method when we play on sunday. I really dont have very many models to choose from, mostly because im poor, but all the suggestions are helpfull. To answer a question, no i dont use drop pods. once again thanks for the replies.

Thanks for all the replies guys. :lol: I'll try the isolate and kill method when we play on sunday. I really dont have very many models to choose from, mostly because im poor, but all the suggestions are helpfull. To answer a question, no i dont use drop pods. once again thanks for the replies.

Do you have a Dreadnaught? The Assault Cannon can tare through troops or the Wraithlord thanks to rending. It is also good in Melee as most of his units can not harm it.

Drop pod stern guard are great eldar killers. So are land speeders with typhoon missile launchers. Tac marines can rapid fire all of his units to death if you give them a flamer. If you can get to them before they get to you you can kill eldar units very easily especially when they're so small. use rhinoes to get to him quickly. if your opponent will let you you may even wnt to try proxying some drop pods.

Archived