Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[LPC] Imperial Fists recon squad

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

Mal

Mal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,541 posts
*Edit 20/01/09*

I said I was thinking of upgrading my vow to make this a full 10 man tac squad... well heres the finished product, let me know what you think.

Posted Image

*Edit 12/01/09*

I have decided to edit this post with the new updated pics, so that people do not have to scroll throguh the whole thread to see the latest ones.

Well the Recon Squad is now complete, all 5 minis built, painted, flocked, decaled and varnished.

Let me know what you think, p.s. those 3 white bodies behind them are the start of the other 5 members of the tactical squad. (Yes im going to update my vow).

Posted Image

*Original post*

Ok this started out in life as a commision, but that ended, now its my Librarium Painting Challenge...

My aim is to complete (including decals and scroll work) an Imperial Fist Recon Squad (thats a 5 man squad, although I may increase it to 10 if I don't screw the first 5 up too bad).

The first step is to reclaim some marines I brought off of EBay... (yes they are really badly painted).

So here are the green meanies:
Posted Image

Now I have cheated a teeny tiny bit have have already started one of the marines...

Front:
Posted Image

Back:
Posted Image

Head:
Posted Image

So comments please?

Edited by Mal, 20 January 2009 - 02:23 AM.

5th Ed Stats:
Wins: 22
Losses: 2
Draws: 1

Primarch-Progenitor, to your glory and the glory of him on earth!

Terminatorinhell

Terminatorinhell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,370 posts
what do you use to strip them?

gallery_24779_1036_30733.jpg

The Emperor's Champion:
"Never forget, getting tackled by a charging Marine is a LOT like getting hit with a VW Beetle at 30+mph. A VW that hates you and everything you stand for..."

With a lonely whisper you hear him say, on this night you will die this way...

Mal

Mal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,541 posts
these guys, I just use the back of the modelling knife and a pin, they were painted really really poorly, not even any primer so the paint just flakes off... usually when stripping plastics I will take them to a friend of mine who is really good with that kind of thing....

5th Ed Stats:

Pig Of Sparta

Pig Of Sparta

++ VERRES LACONIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,595 posts
Damn that's a good looking Fist! nice clear crisp yellow there, mind if I ask how you did that? I'm gonna guess and say that you've used either Simple Green or good old Dettol to clean those up? either way the first on is looking very good, that red on the chest eagle really works well. I think that your recon squad should become a ten man squad if not an entire army :)

+++ HQ.gif The Pig's Sty - My Instagram Page HQ.gif +++

Terminatorinhell

Terminatorinhell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,370 posts
well what do you think works on really baaad primer and is resistant to simple green O.o

gallery_24779_1036_30733.jpg

The Emperor's Champion:
"Never forget, getting tackled by a charging Marine is a LOT like getting hit with a VW Beetle at 30+mph. A VW that hates you and everything you stand for..."

With a lonely whisper you hear him say, on this night you will die this way...

Captain Mick

Captain Mick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,858 posts
Marine looks really promising already good job :).

My Archived UM Topic : http://www.bolterand...howtopic=151653 (Last updated 13-08-2010)
My Archived Death Guard topic: http://www.bolterand...howtopic=208519] (Last updated 21-01-2011)

New Deathguard Topic: http://www.bolterand...ed-death-guard/ (Updated 27-06-2018)

Mal

Mal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,541 posts
Ok heres my colour palet... and its a doozy... took me a while and a lot of trial and error to get it right.

Primed white,
Second thin white undercoat added (to avoid any grey as once you apply yellow, it looks green and stands out),
Thin coat of elf flesh added,
Second thin coat of elf flesh added, with some highlighting done using skull white,
2 thin coats of sunburst yellow,
Carefully apply ogryn flesh wash,
In armour joints where ogryn flesh doesn't show well apply a thin line of chestnut ink.

It needs a pale yellow highlight to finish it off, but thats where im at..

The red is just red gore with a faint highlight of 50/50 red gore/skull white.

As to the plastics, im not sure what my friend uses, its a mix of a few different things, but it works really well... I must be sure to get the receipe from him.

as for really bad primer thats resistant to stripping, be sure to carefully score the primer, not deep enough to mark teh plastic, but you want the solution to be able to get under the primer, you'll find that it comes off a little easier, of course a little tooth brush action wont go amis either.

*edit* last paragraph

Edited by Mal, 31 December 2008 - 04:49 PM.

5th Ed Stats:

kyng72

kyng72

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 204 posts

well what do you think works on really baaad primer and is resistant to simple green O.o

I find brake fluid with an old tooth brush works great, you just have to wash them in soapy water after
Semper alacer-Always Swift
Semper fidelis- Always faithful
Semper paratus- Always ready

Mal

Mal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,541 posts
Ok guys its advice time, I need your opinions.... the next 4 marines all have those dodgy green bases seen in the first pic, the flock is attached with what seems to be polycement..... Should I even bother to try to save the bases, or just replace them?

5th Ed Stats:

WingsOfTheFalcon

WingsOfTheFalcon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,563 posts

Ok guys its advice time, I need your opinions.... the next 4 marines all have those dodgy green bases seen in the first pic, the flock is attached with what seems to be polycement..... Should I even bother to try to save the bases, or just replace them?

Replace them mate, that sounds like a nightmare to get off and what serious 40ker doesn't have millions of spares floating around anyhow?!

"For the Fratery, For Ithaka!"

SquatsMy Blog, Twitter, Coolminiornot Gallery.

Ameal2007

Ameal2007

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 131 posts
I turn most of my spares into Markers for games :(
"Of course I'll give useful information to the heretics! And by "useful information" I of course mean "A face full of holy promethium." - Taz
"Come now, do you really expect me to do coordinate substitution in my head while strapped to a centrifuge?"..."No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die!" - XKCD
"Who'd call a horse 'Hitler'?" - Bill Bailey
"At least I have Chicken" - Ancient Klingon Proverb
"...follow the Emperor in the guise of M'kee, the great rat god of old merrica, and name themselves after his most fearsome followers; the Mousekiters." - kil78

Imperial Fists - W:0 D:2 L:11

Mal

Mal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,541 posts
I still have a bag full of 'spares' from my AoBR Orks.... they are not really spares... but I have too many orksies anyway... i'll replace them...

5th Ed Stats:

Red-Dragon

Red-Dragon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 593 posts
Hey

Looking good mate,and yeah id just replace them.I had to butched my necrons to replace the bases on some of my chaos(bought a box of second hand wolves off a friend),and because there so flimsy there all now broken lol.Oh well.

I look forward to seeing more of your recon squad. :(

From

The Red Dragon
"Fear the Dragons or Face your Demise" Battlecry of the Dragon Claws

"Prepare to be Vanquished" Battlecry of The Vanquished

"

Dammit (Facepalms)

BrotherDamascus

BrotherDamascus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 413 posts
you cheated ^_^

ill let you off cause your cool :D

i'd definatly replace the bases if you got clean ones lying around - it saves time :D

its a nice looking fist though, cant wait to see the rest ;)

<<Damascus>>

Chapter Master Kanithon

Chapter Master Kanithon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 263 posts
These are really good =]

I wish my try at yellow was as good as this.

Keep it up, amazing work.

Kanithon

lord_bunny

lord_bunny

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,010 posts
A

jet washer, with sand, works sufficiently, on a lowish setting.

lovely yellows :)

Captain Malachi

Captain Malachi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,865 posts
Considering what you started with, that's some damn fine work Mal.

greatcrusade08

greatcrusade08

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,736 posts
Good job Brother...

Nice crisp yellow, thats not an easy thing to accomplish...

Mind if i borrow your camera??? ^_^

If you want some more cheapies to work with, i have about 25-30 in a pot of brake fluid at home with no future!!

GC08

Edited by greatcrusade08, 01 January 2009 - 10:07 PM.

BrotherDamascus

BrotherDamascus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 413 posts
keep it up Mal :) by the way, have you seen the name of my Champion? :huh:

Mal

Mal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,541 posts
Lol, im only doing these because I have all my marine armies built and they are left overs. Im probally going to put them up on EBay once im finished.

That camera... thats actually my phone :huh:

Yeah I just had a flick through your WiP, looking good.

Edited by Mal, 01 January 2009 - 11:24 PM.

5th Ed Stats:

Skull_Lord

Skull_Lord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 497 posts
Nice yellow

Tyrannicide

Tyrannicide

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,959 posts
Looks good, yellow is a hard color to paint over black, which it looks like you have done. I like the scratch/scar on the helmet, it looks cool with the green lenses too.

Ferrus Manus

Ferrus Manus

+LEXICANUM+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,723 posts
Very good mate. Very nice yellow - one of the best I have seen. :o

My WIP Space Marine Chapter

Mal

Mal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,541 posts

Looks good, yellow is a hard color to paint over black, which it looks like you have done. I like the scratch/scar on the helmet, it looks cool with the green lenses too.

Actually I cheated, the black was line applied after the white primer, but before the flesh undercoat. It gave me plenty of time to clean up any slips without them showing through onto the yellow.

5th Ed Stats:

Mal

Mal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,541 posts
Double post I know... but its update time!

First one finished!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

C&C Welcome.

5th Ed Stats: