Black Templars, 2nd Crusade (Pic heavy)

MEanBOb

Well here is my Black Templars 2nd Crusade which has grown steadily since i got into the hobby 5 years ago. I've long been a lurker on this forum so here is some of my own stuff. I'm not the best painter, but I think that my work is of table top quality. I apologize for some of the pics, they seem to bring out mistakes that i do not see with my naked eye :huh:. They also seem to make my models appear to be varnished, which they are not.

Tell me what you think!

Chaplains:

gallery_40638_3097_48859.jpg

gallery_40638_3097_396936.jpg

Some Initiates:

gallery_40638_3097_640613.jpg

gallery_40638_3097_339952.jpg

Some Terminators

gallery_40638_3097_370919.jpg

gallery_40638_3097_109954.jpg

gallery_40638_3097_132477.jpg

gallery_40638_3097_294406.jpg

More to come!

Gidday. I also am a Lurker here, for a year or two now. I like your Marines. As you say, tabletop quality, but in a classic and defined fashion. The thing I like the best is you have a painted army, which is no mean feat. I have been into 40k for 19 years now, and still havent achieved a fully painted army. So props to you on having one.

If i have 1 piece of constructive critisism, its that i notice the barrels arent drilled out on your Terminator Chaplain.

There seems to be a growing trend to painting Red "scribbles", on purity seals these days. Personally, I tend to not like the classic GW White "scribbles" they do on thier models. But the Red ones, and the mixed Red/Black really stand out.

@ Marshal2 Crusaders:

Thanks. I had an extra 5 terminators from black reach, I needed some assault ones. I was lucky to have extra lighting claws from the assault termie box, so i just slapped them right on.

@ Coltaine:

19 years?! I have to say that is rediculous. But you must have a ton of models from a bunch of different armies. This army isn't completely finished yet either since I've started and sold so many others.

I did notice that the barrels were not drilled out until I was taking the picture. Go figure.

Here are some more:

assault marines:

gallery_40638_3097_200511.jpg

more initiates:

gallery_40638_3097_236565.jpg

(this is my latest model with some extra special highlighting on the armor that i have begun to implement)

gallery_40638_3097_349032.jpg

some neophytes:

gallery_40638_3097_7438.jpg

rhino:

gallery_40638_3097_280318.jpg

And yet more to come.

C&C welcome of course.

Thanks for your comments.

@ Mr. Bleak

I hope to convert the black reach dread as well. Might also use 156835 tutorial if i can get my hands on some more termies.

Some more:

Land Raider Crusader:

gallery_40638_3097_707517.jpg

Dreadnought:

gallery_40638_3097_238510.jpg

I'll get some more terminators as well as my marshal up when i finish highlighting the armor.

More C&C please.

prop's to u for acually putting the landraider together

by the way is it the paart metal one or full plastic

if it's plastic then less prais (sorry it's just one of those pain of the arse modles)

well done

Master Gladious :lol:

:lol: the sign of officalness

Yes Master Gladious, it is the old metal crusader. The sponsons were a b@#$! to put together and you have no idea how many times the multi-melta has fallen off. But building that kit was a good character building experience.

Well here be some more pics of my recently completed thunder hammer termies along with my prized marshal.

Termies w/ Thunder Hammers:

gallery_40638_3097_458708.jpg

gallery_40638_3097_381708.jpg

This is my terminator sergeant for my marshal's command squad:

gallery_40638_3097_75740.jpg

And my marshal himself, based off of a Captain Lysander:

gallery_40638_3097_19367.jpg

gallery_40638_3097_5056.jpg

gallery_40638_3097_495584.jpg

gallery_40638_3097_386067.jpg

More C&C please!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Lookin' good!

If I had to offer a criticism, it would be that the light grey painted bases are too light, imho. Since the Templars are so dark, the light grey gravel and base edge draw my eye to them instead of the actual model...

Excellent work. Its what I would call high table top standard - certainly above average, and certainly better than most of blue-shirt painted armies I see in the GW stores I have visited. I hope to attain the consistency of quality that you have acheived. You obviously have found a chapter and army that you enjoy playing with, modelling, painting and expanding. I, for one, would love to see some larger army group shots. I hope that my Guardians of the Covenant, once they are completed (is an army ever really completed?), will look this good.

You've done really well on the major areas of your army. You've even managed to paint well with white, which is quite an achievement, and is a color that gives me FITS. That aside, I have one quick suggestion. You might try using a dry-brush technique to highlight the edges of your models, like the shoulder/kneed pads, all those little arm vents and things. In case you don't know, all you need to do is get a good amount of paint on your brush, then using your paper towel or whatever you use to dry your brushes, you dry it so all the "wet" paint on the end of the brush is absorbed, leaving only a slight amount of paint on the brush. You then quickly draw the brush across the edge you want to highlight. This makes for a much more fine highlight, doesn't glare quite as much, but still gives that raised look. This also works really well if you're using one color right on top of the other. Like fortress gray on top of codex gray.

i agree that your skills are improving, one piece of cc is that i think there should be a little more depth and dethail on the shaved down crusade helmets for those few of your termies. keep up the good work.

ps i look forward to utterly owning all of your marines with inferno bolts, well if i ever getting around to playing that is haha

Thank you for all of your kind comments. I'll see if I can get my command squad done in a timely fashion and show it to you guys.

Brother Chaplain: I'll definitely give your technique a try, it will neaten up my highlights a bit.

Yea nameless....we'll play eventually. Curse inferno bolts to damnation.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's another update.

Finally painted my other crusader (plastic one). The pictures (in my opinion) don't do it justice. Grrrrr crappy camera.

Well anyways I thought I'd share it with you all. If you were wondering, the lack of white is due to the fact that I will be using this land raider exclusively for sword brethren. Sword Brethren lack white in their chapter symbol and have red crosses.

gallery_40638_3097_22617.jpg

gallery_40638_3097_44177.jpg

gallery_40638_3097_42634.jpg

gallery_40638_3097_41082.jpg

Hopefully I'll have another update in a timely fashion of some of my sword brethren (non terminator) and maybe some more initiates.

Archived