Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

FAQ: Weighting bases

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

SteelRat

SteelRat

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20 posts
In my experience almost all Citadel miniatures are top-heavy and fall over fairly regularly with just an accidental brush with a person's hand, sleeve, whatever. For miniatures on the small round bases, I've started weighting them with US nickel coins. They fit perfectly and cost less than any other weighting material you can buy. Now my models only fall over if things get aggressive ;)

Rogue Trooper

Rogue Trooper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 86 posts
Funnily enough a friend of mine used to base all his miniatures on two pence pieces (British), it was a bit of a joke in all but considering the price of bases he thought it was rather good that he could get fifty for a pound! I usually stick a single penny on the underside if I've a model particularly adept at face planting and being somewhat smaller than the space you can place it whereever it'll counter-balance most effectively.

Lestat

Lestat

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,268 posts
Keep all the metal tabs that you cut off miniatures - you can glue them to the underside of the base too.
Or use some small stones as terrain on a scenic base.

sgtNACHO

sgtNACHO

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 772 posts
1 word :Pennies work awesome!

Oh wait! :lol:
"Walk softly, and carry a big gun." Space Marine Force Commander, Dawn of War

92% of knights have moved on to saying "ecky ecky ecky pi’tang zoop boing" . If you're part of the 8% who still say "Ni" copy and paste this into your signature!

http://commissar.pro...amp;thread=7820

Some Blood Angel's Geneseed may not be for you, ask you doctor before prescribing to Blood Angel's Geneseed. Results may vary.

Doctor Thunder

Doctor Thunder

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,427 posts
For slotted bases I use the shot pellets from a shotgun shell. They are suprisingly heavy for their size, work really well, and are really cheap to acquire. :lol:

Edited by Doctor Thunder, 17 January 2009 - 05:20 PM.

Dirty Steve on Female Space Marines:
As far as i've heard or read, it has yet to be tried. That DOESN'T mean that it cannot be done. "Could" is a LOT different than "can" or "can't". So go ahead and make some female Space Marines! Make your own fluff! DO WHAT YOU LIKE. That's what the hobby is all about. It IS a fictional universe after all. :)

And if anyone wants to convert an all-female Space Marine army, PLEASE send me good photos. i think they'd be cool!

Shiodome

Shiodome

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 555 posts
i do the same, have £1 coins under my assault marine bases as they're heavier and work better.

Peakey

Peakey

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 171 posts

For slotted bases I use the shot pellets from a shotgun shell.

:mellow:.....a.....a Shotgun? :blink:

King Tiger

King Tiger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,308 posts

i do the same, have £1 coins under my assault marine bases as they're heavier and work better.

:) surely that would get expensive?, 1p's would do the same, or washers, and be cheaper
THE 4 MOST IMPORTANT RULES OF 40K ARE....
1: this game is NOT made for you to have fun, its made to prove a point over which player is more of an obnoxious Rules Lawyer than the other
2: Imagination is NOT allowed in 40k, using your imagination may make things interesting or make sense, GW do not want there game to make sense or be remotely interesting
3: if you don't play marines you either suck cus your not like everyone else, or your a Noob/Newb and don't deserve to play (as ruled by marine players)
4: if your not relying on the chaos theory to win all your games, your a useless player in the eyes of everyone who believe themselves superior to everyone

Mal

Mal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,541 posts

;) surely that would get expensive?, 1p's would do the same, or washers, and be cheaper

I was just thinking the same.... there are many many cheaper methods than burning £1 coins.... personally I use 1p coins... but as a legal note guys, its against the law to deface the image of the queen, so be sure to stick them with the queens head facing down ;)

5th Ed Stats:
Wins: 22
Losses: 2
Draws: 1

Primarch-Progenitor, to your glory and the glory of him on earth!

White Crusader

White Crusader

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 831 posts
I use U.S. Nickels. They fit like they were made for weighting bases.
Raise your weapons and march away, to glory, my brothers, and to a bloody day!
-Grand Exemplar Zephyrus Aruken, 4th Grand Company

Warsmith Peturabo

Warsmith Peturabo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16 posts
A lot of hardware stores do bulk deals on washers. They're rather nice and cheap to use as well.

Brother Captain Andrecus

Brother Captain Andrecus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 552 posts
In the U.S. (And apparently in the UK too...) defacing/destroying currency is illegal...

I think that gluing a penny to the bottom of a base is technically a crime, as you are defacing the penny by gluing something to it...

Just a heads up. (Don't let any policemen see your bases...)

Washers work just as well, and you can use them legally...
Sola Deus Gloria!

Suffer not the heretic to live! Suffer not the alien to post!

Read my blog!!!
QUOTE (admiral me @ Oct 19 2006, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sword Brother Jeramakus @ Oct 19 2006, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That "chainsword" looks like a pair of clippers for hedges and the like. The modern equivalent is electric and has teeth on both sides, usually...

got one! brass handle, very large loud motor, teeth up both sides. certainly livens up hedge trimming when i'm alone :P (die, heretic cat-mint!, never again shall you deny the blessed light to my pyrocanthus! oh, hello mrs wilkins. yes, i suppose it does look a little strange...)

Doctor Thunder

Doctor Thunder

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,427 posts

Dude, my buddy is a cop and he weighs his bases with nickels.

I promise you cops won't care.
Dirty Steve on Female Space Marines:
As far as i've heard or read, it has yet to be tried. That DOESN'T mean that it cannot be done. "Could" is a LOT different than "can" or "can't". So go ahead and make some female Space Marines! Make your own fluff! DO WHAT YOU LIKE. That's what the hobby is all about. It IS a fictional universe after all. :)

And if anyone wants to convert an all-female Space Marine army, PLEASE send me good photos. i think they'd be cool!

Chaplain Invictus

Chaplain Invictus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 105 posts
I know its supposed to be illegal, but then why are there coin jewelers out there that cut into coins and destroy them for jewelry?

King Tiger

King Tiger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,308 posts

<_< surely that would get expensive?, 1p's would do the same, or washers, and be cheaper

I was just thinking the same.... there are many many cheaper methods than burning £1 coins.... personally I use 1p coins... but as a legal note guys, its against the law to deface the image of the queen, so be sure to stick them with the queens head facing down :P

I doubt anyone cares, I based all my WWII soldiers on 2p's, and glued them all to the queens head cus its a flatter surface
1: this game is NOT made for you to have fun, its made to prove a point over which player is more of an obnoxious Rules Lawyer than the other
2: Imagination is NOT allowed in 40k, using your imagination may make things interesting or make sense, GW do not want there game to make sense or be remotely interesting
3: if you don't play marines you either suck cus your not like everyone else, or your a Noob/Newb and don't deserve to play (as ruled by marine players)
4: if your not relying on the chaos theory to win all your games, your a useless player in the eyes of everyone who believe themselves superior to everyone

Mal

Mal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,541 posts
you can cut, trim, solder and glue coins.... just not on the face, thats the part that is illegal, hence why I told everyone to glue the other side.

5th Ed Stats:
Wins: 22
Losses: 2
Draws: 1

Primarch-Progenitor, to your glory and the glory of him on earth!

Rogue Trooper

Rogue Trooper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 86 posts
I'm going to feel really geeky for this but after a quick google search I found that the original act (in the UK) that dealt with defacing of currency was the Coinage Offences Act (1936), but the entire act was repealed in the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act (1981) [link].

So, defacing HM The Queen's head on coins doesn't appear to be illegal, only extremely distasteful. Like was mentioned, I doubt very much whether anything would be done for simply sticking a coin to a base, or even painting it. The village I used to live in used to spray coins (pennies) green and hide them on the fields at easter. There were bobbies galore at the event and not one batted an eyelid.

I feel a little like I might have researched that purely to muck around and not do coursework.

wiplash

wiplash

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,284 posts
aswell as putting things on the bottom of the base why not ontop? if you use peices of slate or rock that fot on the base as the basing that weighs them down a bit

5th ed SW : 19/4/1 (W/D/L)
6th ed SW : 0/0/1 (W/D/L)

FOE

FOE

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 34 posts

In the U.S. (And apparently in the UK too...) defacing/destroying currency is illegal...

I think that gluing a penny to the bottom of a base is technically a crime, as you are defacing the penny by gluing something to it...

Washers work just as well, and you can use them legally...

It is not illegal to destry or deface US currency. You can burn all of the money you want. It is illegal to change the value of any US currency, as it is counterfitting.

Justin Kase

Justin Kase

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 929 posts

For slotted bases I use the shot pellets from a shotgun shell.

:lol:.....a.....a Shotgun? :blink:

Yeah, just place said miniatures down range and hope for the best! You get the added bonus of 'Realistic Battle Damage' ™

I've always stuck to the penny or wahers myself. The advantage of the washers is that you can cut them a bit easier to allow for a slotta base.

jay79

jay79

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 236 posts
I always used to use washers. They are cheap and heavy enough to do the job. But now that I've used Warmachine bases with te slots in them (which I covered over with mighty putty lol) I'm not sure what I should use. Hrmmm.

ObsidianIchor

ObsidianIchor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 197 posts
I had a problem with my metal weaponed Devastators, so I weighted them with US pennies. Slightly less weight than a nickel, works almost as well, 20% cost! :P

Armies:

Space Marines: Brotherhood of the Bloody Wing

Tyranids: Hive Fleet Glaurung
Dark Elves: The Dread Host of Highborn Kashral

Yes, my marines are red. No, they are not Blood Angels.

Griffsnog

Griffsnog

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 58 posts
using actual coins is expensive, I use washers, I got a box of 100 for about 5 USD

Rogue Trooper

Rogue Trooper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 86 posts

using actual coins is expensive, I use washers, I got a box of 100 for about 5 USD

Which makes them 5 Cents each? If you use a 1 cent coin you'd be saving 5 times that! :)

If that's not enough weight you could just glue two coins onto the base - still saving 2.5 times what you're spending.

Edited by Rogue Trooper, 23 January 2009 - 10:10 AM.

King Tiger

King Tiger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,308 posts

I always used to use washers. They are cheap and heavy enough to do the job. But now that I've used Warmachine bases with te slots in them (which I covered over with mighty putty lol) I'm not sure what I should use. Hrmmm.

random bits of metal perhaps?, should have plenty of that laying around, or just cut a coin in 2

makes me wonder if doing all this adds to credit crunches and money shortages in the world :)