FAQ: Weighting bases

In my experience almost all Citadel miniatures are top-heavy and fall over fairly regularly with just an accidental brush with a person's hand, sleeve, whatever. For miniatures on the small round bases, I've started weighting them with US nickel coins. They fit perfectly and cost less than any other weighting material you can buy. Now my models only fall over if things get aggressive ;)

Funnily enough a friend of mine used to base all his miniatures on two pence pieces (British), it was a bit of a joke in all but considering the price of bases he thought it was rather good that he could get fifty for a pound! I usually stick a single penny on the underside if I've a model particularly adept at face planting and being somewhat smaller than the space you can place it whereever it'll counter-balance most effectively.

i do the same, have £1 coins under my assault marine bases as they're heavier and work better.

;) surely that would get expensive?, 1p's would do the same, or washers, and be cheaper

I was just thinking the same.... there are many many cheaper methods than burning £1 coins.... personally I use 1p coins... but as a legal note guys, its against the law to deface the image of the queen, so be sure to stick them with the queens head facing down ;)

In the U.S. (And apparently in the UK too...) defacing/destroying currency is illegal...

I think that gluing a penny to the bottom of a base is technically a crime, as you are defacing the penny by gluing something to it...

Just a heads up. (Don't let any policemen see your bases...)

Washers work just as well, and you can use them legally...

i do the same, have £1 coins under my assault marine bases as they're heavier and work better.

<_< surely that would get expensive?, 1p's would do the same, or washers, and be cheaper

I was just thinking the same.... there are many many cheaper methods than burning £1 coins.... personally I use 1p coins... but as a legal note guys, its against the law to deface the image of the queen, so be sure to stick them with the queens head facing down :P

I doubt anyone cares, I based all my WWII soldiers on 2p's, and glued them all to the queens head cus its a flatter surface

I'm going to feel really geeky for this but after a quick google search I found that the original act (in the UK) that dealt with defacing of currency was the Coinage Offences Act (1936), but the entire act was repealed in the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act (1981) [link].

So, defacing HM The Queen's head on coins doesn't appear to be illegal, only extremely distasteful. Like was mentioned, I doubt very much whether anything would be done for simply sticking a coin to a base, or even painting it. The village I used to live in used to spray coins (pennies) green and hide them on the fields at easter. There were bobbies galore at the event and not one batted an eyelid.

I feel a little like I might have researched that purely to muck around and not do coursework.

In the U.S. (And apparently in the UK too...) defacing/destroying currency is illegal...

I think that gluing a penny to the bottom of a base is technically a crime, as you are defacing the penny by gluing something to it...

Just a heads up. (Don't let any policemen see your bases...)

Washers work just as well, and you can use them legally...

It is not illegal to destry or deface US currency. You can burn all of the money you want. It is illegal to change the value of any US currency, as it is counterfitting.

For slotted bases I use the shot pellets from a shotgun shell.

:lol:.....a.....a Shotgun? :blink:

Yeah, just place said miniatures down range and hope for the best! You get the added bonus of 'Realistic Battle Damage'

I've always stuck to the penny or wahers myself. The advantage of the washers is that you can cut them a bit easier to allow for a slotta base.

I always used to use washers. They are cheap and heavy enough to do the job. But now that I've used Warmachine bases with te slots in them (which I covered over with mighty putty lol) I'm not sure what I should use. Hrmmm.

using actual coins is expensive, I use washers, I got a box of 100 for about 5 USD

Which makes them 5 Cents each? If you use a 1 cent coin you'd be saving 5 times that! :)

If that's not enough weight you could just glue two coins onto the base - still saving 2.5 times what you're spending.

I always used to use washers. They are cheap and heavy enough to do the job. But now that I've used Warmachine bases with te slots in them (which I covered over with mighty putty lol) I'm not sure what I should use. Hrmmm.

random bits of metal perhaps?, should have plenty of that laying around, or just cut a coin in 2

makes me wonder if doing all this adds to credit crunches and money shortages in the world :)

Archived