FAQ: Weighting bases

I always used to use washers.

What are 'washers'?

Also, I was using 20p coins but the small 'bubble' (dentation?) in the middle of the round bases kept causing trouble and made the coins fall out :-/

just cut it out then :D

What are 'washers'?

Also, I was using 20p coins but the small 'bubble' (dedentation?) in the middle of the round bases kept causing trouble and made the coins fall out :-/

A washer is basically a disc with a hole punched in the center.

http://www.forcefieldmagnets.com/catalog/images/washer.jpg

The reason I often prefer them over the coins is due to the slotta bases. I just clip the washer on each side and place it on either side of the slot. If it is too big, I just trim a bit more off :P

I always used to use washers.

What are 'washers'?

Also, I was using 20p coins but the small 'bubble' (dedentation?) in the middle of the round bases kept causing trouble and made the coins fall out :-/

What are washers!? They're used for spacing and sometimes fastenings bolts and nuts of course. :D

Technically pennies aren't considered as currency anymore in the U.S. becasue it actually costs more than a cent to make a penney,

But all that means is that no one cares if you deface the pennies or destroy them in any way.

For slotta bases I use pennies sawed in half, they are almost the perfect size for that and work a lot better than random metal tabs.

Technically pennies aren't considered as currency anymore in the U.S.

Really? So then, if I had 100 pennies, I couldn't buy a candy bar at the corner store? Dang.

Actually, I think they're still recognized as currency, they just aren't produced anymore...

In any case, if they AREN'T recognized as currency, then they're probably the answer to the problem.

• 7 months later...
I find that solid diamond works fantastically when weighing down my Gaunts...j/k. I do notice a lot of problems with money coming up. My idea? Elmer's (white construction) glue and sand makes a fantastic, weighty 'cement'. Just get it to the right consistency, and you'll have cheap, cheap weight for your models, without all that hobnobbery with cutting Her Majesty, and defacing washers...or was that the other way round?

• 9 months later...
A friend of mine gave me small lead cubes which formed the weights for his old curtains. I flattened them slightly with a hammer to make them fit, then cemented them to the base with Milliput. Simple and effective, and lead is a dead weight.

• 4 months later...

Hello there,

I've got an intresting read here but haven't seen my own habit. I use 2 Eurocents for weighting the bases of my miniatures. The 5 cents also fits under the bases but why spend 2.5x the amount if the 2 cents work as well :tu:

For the larger bases I use the spare metal bits from different frames.

Justin Kase's idea for using washers with slotted bases is one I'm surley going to try.

As to all out here:

Sure, using currency to weight down bases seems a bit exuberant. For me it is a nice symbol. Seeing the avarage pricetag on the models they keep from falling over keeps me remembering that it's not a cheap hobby. It is however a small price to pay to keep me of the street.

Cheers,

Vandael

• 8 months later...

Bit of an old topic, but I thought it worth pointing out (the the UK users anyway) that it is only illegal to deface a coin, queens head side or not, if it is for the purposes of carrying out other illegal activities, fraud etc.

I've sawn pennies in half before to fit them to the underside of slotta bases. I did double-check the legality of this before vicing a handful of pennies together and working up a sweat with my hacksaw.

Mmmm, threadomancy ^_^

I personally use lead pellets on small bases and a combination of pennies and lead pellets on the bigger ones. My bases tend weigh as much as, or more than, the models standing on them...

Archived