Pre heresy markings

Ensis Ferrae

quick question here, i've been looking for visuals on pre-heresy era squad type markings (as in the right shoulder markings for tacs,assault marines, and devs) as my copy of insignium astartes is at home in the states.

Trying to build up an RG force, but want to use the heresy era markings, as theyre different than the current "in style" markings and they rather fit with the fluff for the company itself.

does anyone know where i might find such images?

Theres no real fluff on it outside of the pictures from the IA series. presumably they varied from legion to Legion like most organisational things so as long as you are consistent, go with whatever looks good.

Some people also like to use Rogue trader era markings.

In Rogue Trade, pg 168-169, unit markings are shown as follows:

Troops: red stripe running down the front of their helmet and face-plate.

Sergeants: same stripe, with additional black bars alternating along the stripe.

Veterans: yellow border added to the stripe.

Captains: white and black border to the red stripe.

Veteran Captains: white stripe

In addition, badges were displayed on their left should pauldron as follows:

Top: chapter insignia

Middle: rank badge (troops = none, sergeants = chervon, vet sergeants = chervon with a red diamond at the bottom, captains = something that looks like a candy wrapper with a red diamond in the middle)

Bottom: equipment badge

Equipment badges were a circle with an insignia within:

Bolter = a thick circle with a small square on top like the front profile of a bolter muzzle.

Heavy Bolter = a thick circle with a small square on top, to each side, and on the bottom.

Flamer = a ball of fire.

Beamer = starburst.

Graviton = thin concentric circles like a bulls eye.

There are two others, one is a mushroom cloud and the other is had with the figures extended; however, no names are listed and both have "classified" stamped across them.

Medics had a white shoulder pauldron with a gold caduceus, border in their chapter’s primary colour.

There was also a Field Police unit, which worn a red helmet with yellow and black diagonal stripes running down the middle of the helmet and face-plate.

And, of course, chaplains wore black and librarians wore blue.

SJ

while i have the old rogue trader, i was referring more to the squad markings as seen labeled "pre heresy" in the Raven Guard's IA article...

had a gander at that old rogue trader last night... its pretty good for a laugh, and its good to see how far the game/hobby have come since then

while i have the old rogue trader, i was referring more to the squad markings as seen labeled "pre heresy" in the Raven Guard's IA article...

There ya go:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/khromash/raveg.jpg

Archived