Pre-Heresy Death Guard Troops?

Somerandomidiot

Hey all-

I'm working on a pre-heresy Death Guard army (before any corruption), and most likely going to be using C:CSM. The army is mostly going to be foot-slogging troops/terminators, backed up a bit of fire support (Havocs with Autocannons and possibly a Predator) and a Dreadnought (using rules for a Daemon Prince of Nurgle, without any spells- I think it'll work well). I'm pretty confident that I want to use C:CSM, primarily because whichever troops choice I take, they'll come with both bolters and CCWs, and I can't see the versatile Death Guard ever leaving home without both.

But the real question arises: for basic troops, does anyone feel it would it be "unfluffy" to use Plague Marine rules? On one hand, the Death Guard were famous for their resilience and persistance, but is T5 and Feel No Pain going too far? My other option is to just take normal Chaos Marines, or somehow meet in the middle (Mark of Nurgle?). The gamer in me is telling me to use Plague Marine rules, since I feel it'll make a much more solid army, but I'll be putting a lot of effort into this, and sacrificing fluff in what is essentially an army built on fluff isn't going to work. I'd love some opinions, either way.

If you're going to do a Preheresy army, you must leave the Plague Marine rules behind.

What you could do is give each squad sergeant the icon of Nurgle and say that it's his inspirational prescence that helps make 'em so tough. I'd understand, personally, were I playing against you.

Alternately, go play C:SM. Works OK (though you can't get the vast swarms of troops).

I'd have to agree, Plague Marines are a no no for Pre Heresy. Icon of Nurgle disguised as the Death Guard Standard or an inspiring individual is a good idea though.

Other than that it seems ok, the only thing I can see a problem with would be the Daemon Prince Dreadnaught. Might be a little confusing of your opponent. Other than that it sounds good!

Disciple

Hmm this is a tough one..

While there is nothing wrong 'per se' with proxying pre-heresy death guard with chaos marine death guard rules (hell i've seen an armoured squat-proxy army that used the rules for Nurgle marines), you have to ask yourself one important question as to whether this army is going to be in the spirit of a pre-heresy army.

Were the death guard before the heresy, and pre-corruption, substantially tougher than other marine legions, so much so that this would confer a +1 to their toughness value? In my opinion, the answer to this is no. While the Death Guard were indeed renowned for their stubborness, tenacity and resilience, a bolter shell to the head or chainsaw through the gut would still most likely be fatal, as it would to any other marine. However, after the 'blessings' of nurgle, of their endowment with eldrytch power, the Death Guard moved far beyond the resilience of a normal marine, and this is represented in their toughness of 4(5).

Speaking personally, if I were to put the substantial time and effort into modelling and painting a pre-heresy army (and it is a lot of effort, I'm currently in my 2nd hiatus), then its only fair that they be represented with an accurate ruleset on the tabletop, a representation that acknowledges the effort you have put into creating such an army.

Just my 2 frag grenades! :thanks:

Archived