death of Ancient Rylanor

AekoldHelbrass

May be you can remember that Ancient Rylanor went somewhere inside palace on Istvaan 3. One of the last scenes with him was when he watched bombardment from palace, and last mention of him when Lucius and Eidolon talked about massacre on Istvaan 3. But how do you think, can Ancient Rylanor survive and what will he do?

IIRC he had a crack in his carapace so the virus from the bombs got it. He detonated his powerplant after that.

It was another dreadnought, and if i am not mistaken - it was Death Guard dreadnought, while Anciend Rylanor by words of Lucius was hiding somewhere, so he was alive after virus bombs.

Originally though, Rylanor was not part of the drop force. He swapped places with Saul Tarvitz. That means the leadership thought he would be loyal to Fulgrim or they thought he would just follow the mass of his brothers into the arms of chaos. It makes me wonder whether they couldn't have gone back and retrieved Rylanor and got him to come around to their way of thinking.

Originally though, Rylanor was not part of the drop force. He swapped places with Saul Tarvitz. That means the leadership thought he would be loyal to Fulgrim or they thought he would just follow the mass of his brothers into the arms of chaos. It makes me wonder whether they couldn't have gone back and retrieved Rylanor and got him to come around to their way of thinking.

Wrong

Decades before, Rylanor had been wounded beyond the skill of the Legion's apothecaries while fighting the duplicitous eldar, and had been interred in a dreadnought war machine that he might continue to serve. Along with Lucius and Tarvitz, Rylanor was one of the senior officers being sent down to take the Choral City's palace complex.

Personally i fail to see why it matters. One dreadnought is not going to affect the grand scheme of Horus' plans. (although it would be nice to find out just to know ;) ). Still, I always just assumed him and the other Loyalists just all DIED when the Dies Irae got into the fray, then again I always did like clean endings ;) .

Wrong

Decades before, Rylanor had been wounded beyond the skill of the Legion's apothecaries while fighting the duplicitous eldar, and had been interred in a dreadnought war machine that he might continue to serve. Along with Lucius and Tarvitz, Rylanor was one of the senior officers being sent down to take the Choral City's palace complex.

Where's that quote from? This quote from the Wiki page of HH Characters tracks with my memory on this.

"He traded places for the drop into Istvaan III with Saul Tarvitz, who was supposed to go instead."

Captain Malachi Posted Today, 05:45 PM

It matters because if he survived, others may have survived as well. More importantly he was a cool character, and we want to know what happened.

You might want to consider that it is much more likely that Rylanor could have survived - Dreadnought suits are tougher than power armour, and more importantly are completely self-sufficient due to the nature of the pilot. Rylanor could be buried for a long time and just doze off until someone finds him. Any of the others, on the other hand, would have run out of food and water soon enough.

QUOTE (jubei124 @ Jan 29 2009, 11:33 AM)

Wrong

Where's that quote from? This quote from the Wiki page of HH Characters tracks with my memory on this.

"He traded places for the drop into Istvaan III with Saul Tarvitz, who was supposed to go instead."

It's from Galaxy In Flames third section of Chapter 7. (subterfuge) sorry no page number as i have a ebook version

Yes, but one of the theories is that he found an old bunker, meaning they may well have been able to survive. Besides, they're marines, they can survive pretty well, and only need to live long enough for help to arrive.

The main interest for me is not possible help or something. Can you remember captain Garro? Who almost himself warned Dorn about Horus. Rylanor is powerfull war machine with spirit of Emperor Children, may be he can play one more role in this war? In any case, now I see that I was right - his death cannot be confirmed.

Its a shame an argument here about who or what was meant to go down to the surface has taken centre stage, rather than the far more interesting proposition as to what happened during Tarvitz's conversation with Rylanor before they went to the surface?

Although I can't quote exactly, I'm sure I got the impression that Rylanor was aware what was happening within the legion, and must have at least had some idea about what was about to happen.

I found this quote, about Eidolon talking to Lucius after the latter had turned to the traitors side, and now speaking about Rylanor:

'Not like Rylanor to run from a fight' noted Eidolon

'No' agreed Lucius ' though Tarvitz did say about him guarding something'.

'Guarding what?'

'He didn't say. Rumour was he found some kind of underground hangar..'

(from p429 Fulgrim)

Although I can't find the Tarvtiz/Rylanor conversation before the dreadnought dissapears, I'm guessing that Rylanor carries with him the heritage of the legion, and the last remnant of the true Emperor's Children before they were corrupted. Whether this will get brought up in a future book remains to be seen, but its a lovely little attention to detail by McNeil, and I think a great part of the story.

I think this quote is what you were looking for

'Guide us well,’ replied Rylanor, his voice loaded with unspoken meaning. Tarvitz was suddenly certain that the dreadnought wanted Tarvitz to remain on the ship.

Personally i fail to see why it matters. One dreadnought is not going to affect the grand scheme of Horus' plans. (although it would be nice to find out just to know :P ). Still, I always just assumed him and the other Loyalists just all DIED when the Dies Irae got into the fray, then again I always did like clean endings :devil: .

Well maybe i can give an idea of why it might be important that this one dreadnought survived. Rylanor ( the Bjorn the Fell Handed of his time) lives, and successfully guards the one way off the planet that remains. Some survivors of Isstavan III (Tarvitz, Loken, others) make it back to earth to be presented to the Emperor and become the founders of the Grey Knights. I think that the Grey Knights might have an effect on the "Grand scheme" of things.

If they survived how would they leave the plant? Horus' fleet was still in system and bolstered by the traitor form the Drop Site Massacre.

If the rumor about the hanger happens to be true they did have a possible way off the planet, and also a place to avoid the bombardment when it came.(not saying anyone made it but I believe they did) And if they did make it to a hanger I would think there would be some rations of some sort there.(In ships or waiting to be loaded) Also like Captain Malachi says the Eisenstein got away with 4 combined fleets worth of ships surrounding them I can't see why they couldn't have gotten away when the traitors went to Istavann V with their fleets. I would think they would have plenty of time to make it to a safe area to jump into the warp. The point where the Eisenstein jumped seemed to be pretty close to Istavann III.(atleast they made it seem that way) Or just to hold out in the Hanger until Big Bad Dorn arived

Malachi,are you saying that you think another ship escaped along with the Eisenstein?

Not at the same time of course, but I believe it's possible that another ship could make it out of the system, quite easily in fact. A star system's a big place, once the fleet headed to Istvaan V, getting off Istvaan III would have been quite easy.

Malachi,are you saying that you think another ship escaped along with the Eisenstein?

Not at the same time of course, but I believe it's possible that another ship could make it out of the system, quite easily in fact. A star system's a big place, once the fleet headed to Istvaan V, getting off Istvaan III would have been quite easy.

I think its perfectly possible - even if none of the loyalist marines survived, it would mean very little for ancient Rylanor to wait weeks or perhaps even decades for rescue if need be, and if no other methods of escape were possible. At that point, I think perhaps the final honour and remembrance of who the legion were is more imporant than any other consideration for him, were he to survive.

As for him (or the hanger he was stuck in) being buried under rubble, I should imagine it would be almost certain that the Imperium would head to the original site of the heresy during the 'scouring'. Even if it were only with scouting parties, Gulliman would want to get some inkling of what happened there, and at which time they might well pick up some form of homing beacon of recorded message from Rylanor - although the possibility that as a survivor of the 7th legion he would just get instantly blown to pieces is a pretty strong one I guess :P

Archived