FAQ: Painting Blood Angels

Try using my way, doesn't require Golden Demon skill but gives reasonable results.

1. Basecoat of Skull White spray

2. Glaze of Red Ink (improves coverage)

3. Coat of Blood Red

4. Glaze of Red Ink (highlights/lowlights)

Dead simple, but gives a deep glossy red. Doesn't take very long either.

I use a different method, but it has a nice effect, and requires very little brush use, no paint pots and you get no brush marks.

Materials:

Skull white spray paint

Blood red spray paint

Magenta (Red) ink

Chestnut ink(Brown) ink

Tank brush or big brush similar to the exact siz of a tank brush

Note: Avoid heavy spraying in a single area, if you are thinking that you are spraying to much, stop and move to the next area

Step 1 Undercoat

I recommend to spray the model like so:

Turn the model on it's stomach feet facing toward you as you spray

Use skull white spraypaint

Spray feet to head

Spray left side to right side

Spray right side to left side

Spray head to feet

Make sure you get the hard to reach areas with a quick shot opf spray paint, practice on a surface till you get a one shot with only a little paint used

Wait ten minutes or until an outer drying has occured

Stand the model up normally and make one final light sweep of any areas

Step 2 Priming

Use blood red spraypaint

Spray left side to right side

Spray right side to left side

Spray head to feet

Make sure you get the hard to reach areas with a quick shot opf spray paint, practice on a surface till you get a one shot with only a little paint used

Wait ten minutes or until an outer drying has occured

Stand the model up normally and make one final light sweep of any areas

You may want to wait awhile before you preceed, I don't think it matters, but at least wait till the model and fully dry to the point , when no paint comes off the model after being sprayed

Step 3 Ink Mixing

Obtain a pallette, I use a tile as it helps in mixing a lot better.

Blot a large amount of red ink in one area of the pallette

Blot portions of the red ink with brown ink, begin with a 70 red/ 30 brown mix

Add thin amunts of water, just add a few drops to the mix

Mix the paint together till you get a thinkness of milk/blood it will be thicker than the water, but smooth enough to coat models

make sure that the color is the consistency to blood, but not have any purple tinge to it, you want more of a hollywood movie style blood color effect

Step 4 Ink Application

Hold the spraypainted model and stand it upright as if standing tall

Begin taking medium to large amounts of mixed ink in the large brush and blooch it and smoother the miniature in the hard to reach areas

Apply medium amounts of mixed ink to all areas of the model

Find the areas where the ink is pooling and soak it with the brush and apply it elsewhere on the model where needed

The key to this inking is your fingers

If you fingers have ink on them then your coating the minature correctly

If your fingers are clean then the miniature has very little ink on it and may not have enough to obtain the blood drenched effect

Allow the model a generous amount of time to dry as the ink will take a bit and a finger taking of the wet ink will ruin that spot

When the miniature is dried it should have a dull blood drenched haxe to it and will high;light the detailks and completely upgrade the blood red spraypaint two fold

Have fun

AA

This topic was discussed at length in the Blood Angel Forum. Look HERE.

So, anybody's got pictures to go with these recipes? :wacko:

- White primer

- Two coats of thinned down Blood Red

- Two coats of Red Ink

- One coat of watered down Brown Ink (careful not to let the ink pool on the flat surfaces)

- Paint random edges with boltgun metal for a slight battleworn look

- Spray finished model with matte varnish to dull the shine

Simple but effective.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i200/10011970/icarus1.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heres what i do with my BAngel army.

bare in mind that i go for a darker aproach for my dark angels, though not to much.

1) Thinned blood red

2) Blood red to then fill and even it out

3) Heavy wash of chestnut ink

4) highlighting with blazing orange.

due to the ink the orange dosent stand out as it much usually, giving the model a darker effect but still

using highlighting to give it some depth.

as i said its a darker way of painting blood angels but gives off a good and often ominous touch.

• 1 year later...

Here's my technique if anyone cares:

Base black

Heavy drybrush Mecrite Red (keep armour joints and so black)

Touch up, making the red even and fix crevices

Nice, thinned layer of blood red should make the armour the right red

Highlight with blazing orange and then fiery orange

With the new washes, you can achieve a very very simple but okay looking red.

1. Undercoat with whatever you want (I prefer black, more skilled painters use white even when painting Black Templars...)

2. Several thinned down coats of either Mechrite Red or Red Gore. Be sure to use several coats of paint THINNED with water. Makes a more even paintjob. You should next to never use the paints as it comes out of the pot.

3. Highlight with Blood Red

4. Give the whole armor a good fresh wash with Baal Red

This has the upside of being fairly easy and involves no drybrushing (which many people don't like and make fun of)

my changes to the above

1. Undercoat with BLACK

2. Several thinned down coats of either Mechrite Red, maby 2 coats of mechrite red with a LITTLE TAD of water added make shure you dont over water it or the whole pots stuffed, You should next to never use the paints as it comes out of the pot. only put meckrite where reds going to be leaving the crevices in the armour red

3. paint blood red.

4. Give the whole armor a good fresh wash with Baal Red (havent tried this but it sounds good

mine's real simple:

Thin ALL!!! your paints

White spray basecoat

for red:

thinned coats of blood red, realy thing it very much even with a white base couple of layers and it should be good.

blackline: I now this might be a bit of truble for a begining painters i just paint thinned chaos black but some people like to use fineliners ( I guess this could be alot easier for you )

highlight: blazing orange, just the edges of the armour

mix a little golden yellow in your blazing orange and do an even finer highlight ( this can be skipped )

wash the armour with baal red, just a good big layer maybe even 2 make's it darker.

Black ( if you want to use this )

paint it chaos black

edge highlight of adeptus battle grey

metal:

chainmail

badab black wash

paint it chainmail again but leave the recesses open

purity seal:

bleached bone

wash with gryphone sephia

you'll get something like this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/2929844174_da605536c2.jpg?v=0

If I missed some stuff just ask more and people here will be happy to help

• 1 year later...

The last model I painted until recently was around 15 years ago, but this is my new technique (Paints have changed dramatically since 2nd Edition lol)

Undercoat with white, followed by Mechrite Red (Foundations are so good, wish I had them when I was a kid) . Follow this up with a later of Blood red, but don't paint over chinks in the armour or recesses as you will follow it up with a Devlan Mud wash all over. After this, depending on the result of the last few coats, you can either go over the model with another thin layer of Blood Red or follow this straight up with a thin wash of Baal Red to brighten it up.

Remember to give time for the previous wash to dry, otherwise it will mix in and the result is not pleasant.

Hope this helps some people :)

Edited by Mully

• 1 month later...
Heres what i do with my BAngel army.

bare in mind that i go for a darker aproach for my dark angels, though not to much.

1) Thinned blood red

2) Blood red to then fill and even it out

3) Heavy wash of chestnut ink

4) highlighting with blazing orange.

due to the ink the orange dosent stand out as it much usually, giving the model a darker effect but still

using highlighting to give it some depth.

as i said its a darker way of painting blood angels but gives off a good and often ominous touch.

Awesome, I have been looking for a slightly darker BA style (glossy red hurts my eyes after too long)

It is a black primer isnt it?

I don't have a camera though I will try to get a picture or two of my color scheme, but I went with a dark feel to my BA.

1. White Primer

2. Many many coats of Red Gore until it it nice and even.

3. Paint Badab black wash into the recesses (I find it pools better than regular chaos black.

4. Edge Highlight with 50/50 Blood Red/Desert Yellow

5. Wash entire model with Baal Red.

6. Re-highlight with the 50/50 Blood Red Desert Yellow.

Honestly I have models primed white and I have ones primed black and most people can't tell the difference once painted.

I prefer to highlight the Purity seals to Blood Red and then a little blazing orange to contrast the red armor.

• 5 weeks later...

I have many unassembled marines and for the past three weekends i have been working on them. I finally started painting my Blood Angels in squads. I painted my sergeant and his squad members. I began with a white base coat, next a very thinned down coat of Mechrite Red, then i painted the bolters and lined the joints with Chaos black...but then... stopped. I wasn't liking the really dark color of the mechrite red first coat. So my question to all of you experienced painters...shall i proceed to repaint the models (obviously stripping paint first) or continue with a subtle transition to Red Gore...then Blood Red...and finally the Blazing orange highlight? Keep in mind i would prefer that these models be kept somewhat dark, but i guess a light wash of ogryn flesh at the end would fix that issue.

please help me out...i want to paint these as best as possible.

thanks...

Bloodseeker

P.S. i have a fairly easy method for my yellow helmetted Assault marines. it goes like this...Sunburst yellow (thinned), Gryphonne Sepia wash, 1:1 mix of skull white and sunburst yellow for highlights.

• 8 months later...

Okey when the thread is alive i can tell you how i paint my converted honourguards that will go with Astorath.

Spray skull white.

3 Thinned coats of scav red.

50:50 Blood red and scab red thinned with water in 2 layers.

Marchurius solarorange highligt (Foundation)

Blazing orange mixed with sunburst yellow highlight.

Baal red wash.

Badab black in the recesses.

I do my BA's in a similar way to the Space Hulk masterclass, but replacing Dark Flesh for Mechrite.

- Black Prime

- Mechrite Red, thinned down, 2 layers usually for even coat.

- Heavy wash with a 50/50 mix of Devlan Mud & Baal Red.

- Basecoat of 50/50 Mechrite Red & Blood Red, thinned down, takes 2 coats...covers really nice!

Then highlight to taste!

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/IronKobra84/WIPSternguard5.jpg

This shows the models after mechrite and the wash

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/IronKobra84/WIPSternguard6.jpg

This shows the models being layered with red/mechrite mix...Can see the difference in the colour quite well!

• 1 month later...

my way.

1. white primer

2. thin down blood red

3. devlan mud wash thin layer to darken the red and and adding some extra were i want shadows

4. mixt blood red and blazing orange 2-1 thin down on the big open areas and to dull down the brownish effetc from wash

5. highlights blazing orange thin down easyer to get a smother cooler differens betwen red and orange

6. ball red was

7. second hilights blazing orange thin down but not as much as the first highlights

8. third highlights blazing orange mix with sunburst yellow 2-1

now i am quite new to 40 k and i have only painted 11 models this far B) and one moddel this way and i like how it turnd out and i am not good with highlights my hands are soo shaky so and dont get so good lines haha.