Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Modelling: GS runes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

Combat_Vet

Combat_Vet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 901 posts
Greets,

I've been asked for a short tutorial on how I did my runes. It's a basic procedure but here goes.

Step 1 - roll some GS into a thin tube
Posted Image

Step 2 - cut a small portion of the tube out and place it where you want the rune (shown flattened)
Posted Image

Step 3 - (Allow step 2 to dry) place another small strip of GS on an angle to your first piece
Posted Image

Step 4 - blend step 3 into step 2 at the joint and straighten all the edges
Posted Image

Step 5 - continue using small strips to add angles, blending them at the contact points
Posted Image

finished rune:
Posted Image

To do this tutorial I did the work on flat plastic sheet. The same thing can be done on curved edges too
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Continue to add small strips of GS to the mini until you are happy. Or go overboard like I did :P
Posted Image

Hope it helps someone out there.

Better days,
"A world is supported by four things......The learning of the wise, the justice of the great, 
the prayers of the righteous, and the valor of the brave" - Frank Herbert, "Dune"

Stryker25B

Stryker25B

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13 posts
Now this is an awesome idea! I never considered adding futhark runes to my marines before, I might have to give this one a go.

Nice work!

Ein

Ein

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts
I would be remiss if I did not mention these brass etchings.

Posted Image

2mm Runes from Secret Weapon. An alternative for those of us like me who fear the use of putty. :D

nurglespuss

nurglespuss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,881 posts
Or who dont have the time!! good find!!
Signature image not compliant with B&C forum rules
[img=http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/nurglespuss/CFC.jpg]

[size=4]| Imperial Fists | Snake Lords | Death Guard | Space Wolves | Dark Angels[/size][size=4] | [/size][size=4]Blood Angels[/size]
Quote: Many men say many things. Modeller First, Painter Second, Gamer third, Competitive? Never.

www.angelsofbaal.wordpress.com (my work in progress army blog)

Brother Martemis

Brother Martemis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 830 posts
cool tutorial, but i have a teensy problem, when i sculpt onto a clean surface, with the intention of putting it on armour, it sticks to the 'clean surface' how do you ger around this? cos they then get damaged as i take them off the surface to fit to the armour

Terminatorinhell

Terminatorinhell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,370 posts
rub vaseline on the clean surface, just enough so it can be easily removed but not so much that it slides.

gallery_24779_1036_30733.jpg

The Emperor's Champion:
"Never forget, getting tackled by a charging Marine is a LOT like getting hit with a VW Beetle at 30+mph. A VW that hates you and everything you stand for..."

With a lonely whisper you hear him say, on this night you will die this way...

Brother Martemis

Brother Martemis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 830 posts
aha! cheers, now, when's my next day off with the missus? don't wanna be seen buying vaseline....
she does have her uses afterall.....

lol

Terminatorinhell

Terminatorinhell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,370 posts
lol even worse is saying "Honey where is my Vaseline!" at 2 am :rolleyes:

gallery_24779_1036_30733.jpg

The Emperor's Champion:
"Never forget, getting tackled by a charging Marine is a LOT like getting hit with a VW Beetle at 30+mph. A VW that hates you and everything you stand for..."

With a lonely whisper you hear him say, on this night you will die this way...

hmk17

hmk17

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 541 posts
I use chapstick. Cheap, everywhere, and non-creeped-out looks when purchasing at your local drugstore. :P

Great guide, very well presented.

Edited by hmk17, 17 January 2010 - 11:05 AM.