Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

skarbrand or bloodthirster

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

lesdiablesrouge

lesdiablesrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts
Whats a better buy for 300 points a tooled up bloodthirster or Skarbrand.

The obvious things are skarbrand has more attacks & breath of chaos, whereas bloodthirster is more manouverable & deathstrike. Suppose this can be part countered with Skarbrands fleet, but then he can't use his bad breath.
"SUCCESS IS MEASURED IN BLOOD – YOURS OR YOUR ENEMY’S"

"Remember proud Sanguinius, young Acolytes, when you are faced with hardship. When the armor of your faith is buckled
and torn, see in your mind that magnificent hero. Think upon his deeds and be humble, for his like will never walk the galaxy again."

Captain Malachi

Captain Malachi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,865 posts
First off, paying for all the upgrades on a 'thirster is a bad idea, you only need might and blessing. Second, this isn't a list so is kind of in the wrong place. Thirdly, they aren't directly comparable, a bloodthirster gives you a nice hard monster, Skarbrand totally changes your army.

lesdiablesrouge

lesdiablesrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts
Apologies. Have only posted 1 other thing & that started in the wrong place as well - thats chaos for you !!!!!! Will endevour to change my ways, let this one rot, not get too angry and post it in the most glorious of places

"Remember proud Sanguinius, young Acolytes, when you are faced with hardship. When the armor of your faith is buckled
and torn, see in your mind that magnificent hero. Think upon his deeds and be humble, for his like will never walk the galaxy again."

Captain Malachi

Captain Malachi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,865 posts
It'll get moved to the liber malificorum soon enough, don't worry. However, the rest of your list would probably be needed to answer your question anyway, so you may as well post your list and it'll be in the right place then ;)

Edited by Captain Malachi, 21 March 2009 - 09:45 PM.

lesdiablesrouge

lesdiablesrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts
Fair do's.

I'm up against nids again with table quarter mission. Only troops can hold & contest.

HQ-

Skarbrand or Bloodthirster

Troops

5 plague bearers
5 plague bearers
5 plague bearers
3 nurglings
3 nurglings
3 nurglings

Elites

3 flamers
6 fiends
7 beasts of nurgle

Heavy Support

Soul Grinder (with phlegm)
2 daemon princes of nurgle (noxious touch, iron hide, cloud of flies, breath of chaos, mark of nurgle)

Fast Attack

10/11 flesh hounds with karanak

Should be 1750 points so will have to trim a little off. Hoping to stick all troops in 2nd wave and pray I don't get a 1 or 2.

Lynnean

Lynnean

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,545 posts
those are ... 24 scoring thingies. that's not much at 1750 pts. even a deathwing army has more scoring units ;P
but, as far as it looks, it looks good. but maybe you could use Ku'Gath instead of skarbrand. Ku'Gath is nearly impossible to destroy (i saw him mow down a nice decend deathwing army), and he's pretty in CC too. else: a GUO instead of an bloodthirster, and get some more troops could be an option too. since the most of your army is nurgle, why don't take a nurgle HQ too? it's fluffier :P
i kinda like this list though :P

ETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_An

lesdiablesrouge

lesdiablesrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts
Thats a good idea hes pretty durable and with his nurgling infestation every turn hes on board bar first turn i can get another troop choice (hold or contest) with nurgling infestation. Will dwell on this idea for my game tomorrow.

NB: Blood angels rock .... there my first army

Captain Malachi

Captain Malachi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,865 posts
Nurglings can't hold objectives, and he costs 300 points, overall he isn't that great, he's just too slow to do anything against even a slightly competent player. As for your original question, bloodthirster with might and blessing, Skarbrad needs high initiative allies, and you have precious little of that. I'd drop all the beasts for more plaguebearers (without Epidemius they'll do about the same damage for the points). Otherwise it's pretty good, I don't like single 'grinders, but hopefully the two princes and the bloodthirster should take some of the fire off it. But yeah, drop beasts, get more plaguebearers, that's about all you need to do.

And before you ask, no, beasts are not a viable option, I'm sorry but it's true, ask anyone.

Dzudzilla

Dzudzilla

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 61 posts
I'm sorry but why is that nurglings can't hold objectives? I thought it might be because of the Swarm USR but there is no mention of it anywhere in the rule's description so it must be something else..

Lynnean

Lynnean

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,545 posts

I'm sorry but why is that nurglings can't hold objectives? I thought it might be because of the Swarm USR but there is no mention of it anywhere in the rule's description so it must be something else..

i always thought they could, i don't know exactly :P

NB: Blood angels rock .... there my first army

yeah, mine too ;) and: they rock, but i keep losing with them xD

Captain Malachi

Captain Malachi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,865 posts
To be honest I can't remember where the rule is, but I have a funny feeling it was in the section on holding objectives. Can't get hold of my rulebook to check though, I'm sure they can't hold them though.

Dzudzilla

Dzudzilla

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 61 posts
Right you are sir, i looked there and found it...

Lynnean

Lynnean

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,545 posts
ok; so.. no claiming nurglings, then you should definetly have more troops.

lesdiablesrouge

lesdiablesrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts
In the end went for:

Skarbrand

5x plague bearers
5x plague bearers
5x plague bearers
5x plague bearers
5x bloodletters
5x daemonettes

6x fiends
7x beasts
3x flamers

1 nurgle daemon prince (iron hide, noxious touch, breath of chaos)
2x soul grinder with phlegm

turn 1 deepstike flamers in front of hive tyrant & 3 wraithguard & daemon prince, both hit nicely where i wanted - breath of chaos from these 2 took out all three tyrant guard & 1 wound off hive tyrant on my first turn (he went first) ........... other nice moment ....... he charged shooty fex into my immobilised soul grinder ...... i went first in combat and killed him (he had already took some wounds) ..... funnily enough he didn't charge his CC fex in it just watched his mate die............

He did manage to take out skarbrand on his 2nd turn, but only by shooting his winged hive tyrant & other big shooty fex off it in shooting faze ....... still had 1 wound so he charged them both into CC ........... (winged tyrant had taken a wound from skarbrand - chaos breath in my shooting faze) ......... skarbrand killed his tyrant but his last wound was just taken by the fex ................ then 3 of his 4 fexes died & his warrior squads hid at the back to ensure he could keep at least 1 quarter ...............

I had 3 troops holding 3 quarters in the end ............ (8 points for each quarter held - 4 points each if contested) ONY TROOPS could hold & contest in this game which made things a bit more interesting

OHHHHHHHH!!!!! The beasts mishapped onto 1 flamer who somehow surrived a turn of shooting it & disaster role all dead (at least the flamer took out a gaunt squad to make up for it before he died in CC)

LIONS_SPEAK

LIONS_SPEAK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 70 posts
what can I say brutal :)
The ONLY good Bug is a Dead Bug!!!
"Ork Nobz, well at least they live up to their name!"

"When life gives you dice, you may as well roll ones!!!!" LIONS_SPEAK

theredcorsair

theredcorsair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,213 posts

In the end went for:

Skarbrand

5x plague bearers
5x plague bearers
5x plague bearers
5x plague bearers
5x bloodletters
5x daemonettes

6x fiends
7x beasts
3x flamers

1 nurgle daemon prince (iron hide, noxious touch, breath of chaos)
2x soul grinder with phlegm

turn 1 deepstike flamers in front of hive tyrant & 3 wraithguard & daemon prince, both hit nicely where i wanted - breath of chaos from these 2 took out all three tyrant guard & 1 wound off hive tyrant on my first turn (he went first) ........... other nice moment ....... he charged shooty fex into my immobilised soul grinder ...... i went first in combat and killed him (he had already took some wounds) ..... funnily enough he didn't charge his CC fex in it just watched his mate die............

He did manage to take out skarbrand on his 2nd turn, but only by shooting his winged hive tyrant & other big shooty fex off it in shooting faze ....... still had 1 wound so he charged them both into CC ........... (winged tyrant had taken a wound from skarbrand - chaos breath in my shooting faze) ......... skarbrand killed his tyrant but his last wound was just taken by the fex ................ then 3 of his 4 fexes died & his warrior squads hid at the back to ensure he could keep at least 1 quarter ...............

I had 3 troops holding 3 quarters in the end ............ (8 points for each quarter held - 4 points each if contested) ONY TROOPS could hold & contest in this game which made things a bit more interesting

OHHHHHHHH!!!!! The beasts mishapped onto 1 flamer who somehow surrived a turn of shooting it & disaster role all dead (at least the flamer took out a gaunt squad to make up for it before he died in CC)

Got lucky there.
I'm back from the Dante's Inferno
I like that we refer to Argos' wedding as "The Great Crash"