Vadskærs Marines

Vadskær

@ pattison, Firepower, Kable, Gv0zD, Arn Greybeard: Thanks all for your kind comments! I really appreciate that you enjoy my latest work - it turned out a whole lot better than I'd hoped. I actually started painting it up to a white-marble colour, but decided to go black instead, as I thought that would complement the other elements of the model better.

Cheers!

/vadskær

• 3 weeks later...

Goodmorning all (well. at least it's morning here in snowy Aarhus, Denmark)

Today I've got pictures of my newest project which I finished yesterday - an Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought from Forgeworld that the Missus bought me for our 9 year aniversay :D

It was a blast to paint! The details are super crisp. I used the arms from GW's plastic Venerable Dread, since I found that the arms you can purchase from Forgeworld doesn't have any ornate detailing on them. This I find to be odd since they would go on an otherwise very blingy dread-body. Therefore I opted for this solution, adding the close combat arm and the twin-linked lascannons.

I painted it in sub-assemblies in order to more quickly get the individual parts done. All credit goes to Winterdyne for inspiration for the red and white pattern on the banner - he did an awesome job on the same model!

The base is from Scibor - as usual.

Enjoy!

/vadskær

gallery_37571_3423_245546.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_231665.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_244388.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_46039.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_99328.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_178883.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_141132.jpg

You stand accused of that greatest of crimes: Making Ultramarines look cool. How do you plead?

Hehe actually, I think I can live with it, seeing as the tryanid is my favorite part of the model. Nicely done, as usual. :D

Oh, and the FW dread arms likely lack significant blingage to keep them compatible with all their varieties of chassis. That vaulted window chaple like bit on the Lascannon arm and the gold leaving on the barrels would look rather odd on their Space Wolf dread, for example.

Just checked into your thread again, and oh my word the Throne of Judgement and the Venerable Dreadnought are absolutely amazing. I was envious of your skill before, but now...:lol:

Seriously great and inspiring work.

(and it's snowing here in Birmingham, UK too!)

@ Firepower: Thanks for your comments mate! I agree on your point regarding the FW arms, but I still miss some form of ornamentation in their arm sculpts.

@ winterdyne: You did a fantastic job on your dread, and seeing how it ranked in GD is further credit to your skills! Yes, I'm happy with the purity seals as well - they have always been kind to me :-)

@ Legio Draconis: Oh dear, don't drop your jaw completely :-D Thanks!

@ Thanks for the praise mate - always nice to have returning visitors. Blimy it's cold here in Denmark - the wind is pushing the temperature at app. -30 Celcius!

/vadskær

Man... Now this is AWESOME! (but I always comment on your minis in the same way :tu: )

Seriously, the Dread rocks! I admire how you painted every details, even the tiniest ones. Your skills are terrific! :P

And I really like how you painted gold, I like it as it's a bit muted (not sure if that's the right word), not so bright to burn through the eyes :rolleyes: . How did you get this effect?

Man... Now this is AWESOME! (but I always comment on your minis in the same way :tu: )

Seriously, the Dread rocks! I admire how you painted every details, even the tiniest ones. Your skills are terrific! :P

And I really like how you painted gold, I like it as it's a bit muted (not sure if that's the right word), not so bright to burn through the eyes :rolleyes: . How did you get this effect?

Hey Mate,

And I always enjoy and cherish your comments :tu: Thanks!

The Dread really invites you to go detail-crazy, and this is one of the real pleasures in working with a master sculpt in resin like this.

I think the trick to my gold is to paint from a scorched brown basecoat, then mixing with shining gold and finally coating with tree to four layers of thinned gold. This gives the gold a nice, deep shine, and from there I shade with a 1:1 mix of Ogryn Flesh and Leviathan Purple wash in the recesses followed by Devlan Mud in the recesses. Afterwards, it's time for highlighting :tu:

great work! both you and Winterdyne have inspired me to work a little extra hard on my dreads (when the time comes, hopefully soon)

if you dont mind, im going to borrow your kit bash idea here using the plastic and FW dread parts :D

Fantastic work, as always! Great use of the plastic ven arms, they og perfect with the resin body! A shame you are lending your skills beyond the Unforgiven nowadays :D

A question about the pose, was this asked for? The lasers pointing up and the helmet looking sideways looks odd...

@ Ramell: Thanks for your praise - always nice with returning visitors. Stay tuned for more good stuff :)

@ araekyus: Always glad to inspire other painters - just like Winterdyne inspired me for the banner details. So go right ahead and copy my kit-bashing idea.

@ Wayward: Thanks a lot for your comment! I'm also happy with the way the plastic and resin parts fit nicely together in theme and sculpt. The Unforgiven are NOT forgotten - I'm just invigorating my painting skills with other projects ;)

The model is not a commission - and I always like to do some kind of pose with my dreads. This one has the right leg raised a bit, the torso turned to the right and the head/helmet completes this motion. The lascannons are raised in the classic relaxed gung-go style, while the left arm with the close combat hand is posed downwards. What I'd like to achieve with this pose is that the dread is in movement and something has caught it's attention to the right - hence all the posing that way. Danger isn't imminent thought, as the pose of the arms would suggest.

/vadskær

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Whoa, it's been a couple of months since I posted my latest project! Time does fly...

This time I've got a treat for you - my four spankin' new Honour Guard!

They're based on Forgeworlds Red Scorpions honour guard belonging to Chief Librarian Sevrin Loth - the Missus bought me the models for my birthday - W00T! I haven't finished the Chief Librarian yet, but he'll join these guys soon.

The models are a mix of a lot of bits. The torsos, heads, shoulder pads and some of the weapons are from the Honour Guard Kit. The power fist, power sword, sword in scabbard, mechanical leg set and mechanical arm are from FW's space marine upgrade pack, which also includes the two special pattern bolt pistols. Otherwise the legs and arms are from the Command Squad frame. The backpacks and wings are from the Sanguiniary kit while the bases are from Scibor.

In regards to painting, I had difficulty choosing the theme. First, I thought about the standard Red Scorpion colour pattern as shown in Imperial Armour, Siege of Vraks. However, I couldn't find a proper balance between the mustard yellow trimmings and the Honour Guard bling. Then, I thought I'd paint them in some tone of red and black. However, I opted for a split dark green and black scheme in order to tie them in with my Dark Angels army. For those of you interested, the decorated right kneepads are from Imperial Armour, Siege of Vraks, Angels of Absolution while the winged sword symbol on the powerfist is a Ravenwing transfer.

And, withour further rambling from my side - here they are:

C&C always very much appreciated! :-)

/vadskær

gallery_37571_3423_262066.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_106603.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_48708.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_124513.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_52951.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_12288.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_61310.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_66933.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_87881.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_29924.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_155745.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_145375.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_144624.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_25286.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_212033.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_52268.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_150357.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_40986.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_64083.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_115713.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_102197.jpg

Åh min mand, I'm out of words!

You're starting to reach a whole new level of creating minis OOZING OF AWESOMENESS!

So many different things and they're coming so well together. These guys are obviously a squad of the "Golden Scorpions", the chosen elite of your chapter...

I don't even mention the quality of the paintjob as it's a freaking standard in this topic!

Kitbashing is a vault of endless possibilities and you're adopting everything so creatively in your world of Vedskærs Marines.

I think we're arriving to the time when we (the followers of your work) have to demand a full army shot of your painted Vedskær-Angels!

...Woooooow....!!!!! :no: ....I Love The Conversion....I think that i am going to steal you some Ideas, got the same FW Model, and i was wondering if, to convert them in our Beloved DA or leave them Red Scorpions, Thumb Up Man...!!! ;)

Archived