Vadskærs Marines

Vadskær

Great marines Vadskærs, really nicley presented. I particulary like the red marines, almost the colour scheme i will have mine when i have time to paint. What is the colours/steps to getting such a rich red dark red. You mentioned they were drybrushing. Thanks

Hi Death Dealer :)

Thanks for the reply - its really appreciated ;)

I painted the Mars Pattern marines as a break from the normal DA's, but it seems they are more popular than I myself give them credit :lol:

The paint-job is quite simple and easy if you're batch painting.

Here's a recipe:

Undercoat spray Chaos Black

Do three consecutive layers of drybrush: Scab Red, Mechrite Red and Blood Red

The amount of paint you want is up to you, but since you're brushing on a very dark surface you can afford to get a bit of paint on the brush :)

Shade the recesses of the armour with Babdab Black Wash.

The gold areas are undercoated with a 1:1 mix of Scorched Brown & Shining Gold

Followed by two thin layers of Shining Gold

Highligt the gold with 1:1 mix of Shining Gold & Mithril Silver

The eyes are painted first Dark Angels green.

Then the forward half of the eye lense is painted Snot Green

The very foremost area is painted scorpion green

A white dot in the reccess for reflected light and you're done :)

The weapons follow the same pattern for the rest of the gold casting.

The metal areas are Boltgun Metal shaded with Babdab Black in the reccesses

Highligt with Mithril Silver

The shoulderpad symbols are painted freehand in whatever way fancies you.

If you need any more info please don't hesistate to ask again :)

thanks alot for the bone/white tutorial, im going to give it a go at the weekend

and again another beautiful mini!

is that freehand on the knee pad? if it is that is amazing

cheers

'evening Chris (it's 9.30 PM here in Denmark)

Great, post a couple of pictures of the results on your bone/white attempts - your're welcome to post them here in my thread if you wish so we can discuss them in context!?

Thanks for the reply - yes, the kneepad is freehand. I did the 5th company insignia in the background, and thought I needed at least one chapter symbol on him. Normally I'd paint it on the shoulderpads, but they were filled with bling already, so I painted it atop the company symbol.

Regards,

Peter

For the last post of this evening, I'd like to show you some of my ongoing works.

First up is a model from GW's Masters of the Chapter box. I decided to go with a different right hand than the one supplied by GW, mainly because the casting of the sword was no less than terrible. Instead I've put the arm and big banner from the command squad box on him, so he'll be standing with his helmet in his powerfist, and a chapter banner (with loads of funky freehand) in his right hand.

Here he's posted after I've painted him in my DA green colour. I've shaded the armour parts with washes and painted the gold areas with a basecoat of 1:1 Scorched Brown and Shining Gold. On some parts I've already layered the first of several pure Shining Gold coats.

The cloak is painted in its base colours. The next step is some blending which will really create a dynamic and cool look. This is always challenging!

gallery_37571_3423_12821.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_1405.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_15721.jpg

Next up is also some WiP pictures of my Venerable Dreadnought from Forgeworld. It is going to be fitted with a Inferno Cannon arm and a DCCW arm.

I've also included a picture of the base, which also isn't finished yet.

gallery_37571_3423_6629.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_11943.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_24548.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_35033.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_37680.jpg

Comments and critisicm are always welcome :D

/Vadskær

i will give this a go and try and get some pics!

you realy are great at painting bone. cant wait to see that dread finished!

is that a scibor base?

Hi Chris,

Great, looking forward to seeing your results!

I think the dread will turn out really great, but there's so much to do on it, that I do it in small portions so as not to loose my patience.

The base is from Micro Art Studios:

http://www.microartstudio.com/

Hi all

Cool also to see some Danish guys in here :D I appreciate all your comments. For this post I'd like to show a newly done DA terminator sergeant with stormbolter & power weapon. His base is in the works, so I've just put him om a spare one. The white DA symbol on the top also needs a small amout of re-touching but that should be all that's left.

I decided to mix my Deathwing between my standard DA scheme and some pure bone whites. To represent this one's engagement with the Deathwing, I coloured one of his shouldepads in my bonewhite scheme. I decided to give him a clean look, but on some of my future models I'll experiment more with a bit of wear and tear.

I used the arms of the DA-Veteran upgrade sprue and added Forgeworld DA shoulderpads - gotta love the detail in the resin!

Comments and critique always welcome.

Enjoy :lol:

gallery_37571_3423_40596.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_17327.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_2871.jpg

gallery_37571_3423_8069.jpg

awsome,wonderfull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's a terminator!!

Cheers Vadskær, will give it a shot some time. Hopefully mine look as good as yours.

Keep up the good work.

Hello Death Dealer,

Super - let me know how the result turns out :D I'm thinking that I perhaps should paint another five bolter-marines, so that I have a complete tactical squad in the Mars Pattern armour instead of just a non-playable combat squad.

:lol:

is that a scibor base?

Hi Chris,

I think the dread will turn out really great, but there's so much to do on it, that I do it in small portions so as not to loose my patience.

im afraid it may be over a week until i can get any pics because my dad has buggered off on holiday with the camera!

is that a scibor base?

Hi Chris,

im afraid it may be over a week until i can get any pics because my dad has buggered off on holiday with the camera!

No worries - I'm sure its worth the wait :) I also need to do some batch painting of my IG cannon fodder, so I'll probably only be able to post some more WiP on my DA Captain.

Enjoy the evening Chris

HOLY !@#$ did you REALLY paint that Aquila on his scroll that well or am I seeing things. gallery_37571_3423_37090.jpg

Hi Midas,

Yup, I sure did :P Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it. I'll try to get a better pic of the Aquila for your viewing pleasure.

Regards

Vadskær

Stunning models - really inspiring me to work on my Salamanders. It's great to see explainations of your techniques, it's really helping me to see how to acutally paint a miniature to a high standard (I've had the techniques explained to me before but have never seen how they're been achieved, I can really pick out the steps and final effect on these models).

I've a couple of questions on how you did some areas of some miniatures (you must be sick of these by now):

The bone and purple robe. This is exactly what I have been after for my Sisters of Battle, and I'm assuming the bone is similar to how you did the helmets/Deathwing, but how did you get such a nice purple colour?

The Captain/Gamesday Marine - how did you paint the faces? The detail and tone is fantastic, and faces are something I have always struggled with - and I'd sure like some pointers to try to apply to my Sisters (*whispers* and Guard).

I'd be really grateful if you'd be inclined to share. It really is stunning work and I'd hope to learn from it.

sweet emperor :) !!! there great love the free hand :wub:

Hey Dave,

Thanks a lot for the praises :) Stay tuned for more models soon - vacation is coming up and that means endless days (almost) of painting and yet more painting :P

Stunning models - really inspiring me to work on my Salamanders. It's great to see explainations of your techniques, it's really helping me to see how to acutally paint a miniature to a high standard (I've had the techniques explained to me before but have never seen how they're been achieved, I can really pick out the steps and final effect on these models).

I've a couple of questions on how you did some areas of some miniatures (you must be sick of these by now):

The bone and purple robe. This is exactly what I have been after for my Sisters of Battle, and I'm assuming the bone is similar to how you did the helmets/Deathwing, but how did you get such a nice purple colour?

The Captain/Gamesday Marine - how did you paint the faces? The detail and tone is fantastic, and faces are something I have always struggled with - and I'd sure like some pointers to try to apply to my Sisters (*whispers* and Guard).

I'd be really grateful if you'd be inclined to share. It really is stunning work and I'd hope to learn from it.

Hi Adam,

Thanks a lot for your reply! I'm very pleased that you can use my step-by-step guides to something :) I'm fightning with my Dark Angels this weekend at a friends place, so I'd like to give you a full reply when I come home again and have the time to write a proper answer.

And no, your questions are not bothersome - not at all! :P

Cheers,

Vadskær

HOLY !@#$ did you REALLY paint that Aquila on his scroll that well or am I seeing things.

Hi Midas,

I finally got around to shoot a better picture of the Aquila on my Chappy this morning before workout. Here's a better view:

gallery_37571_3423_15576.jpg

/Vadskær

Hi agaitn Adam,

Ok, so I've got a bit more time now to properly answer your Q's :) Also, I've checked out your Salamanders-blog and it's something I'm going to be following. The models look very nice :)

For the purple robe, I tried to follow a tutorial in a White Dwarf magazine - I'll dig up the relevant issue and post the recipe for you. Again, the trick was to to numerous thinned layers and washes for good effect. I didn't use blending on the cape, but this could also be employed (although it is a lot harder and time consuming I think).

The Gamesday Thunderhammer Captain was a great sculpt, and such a dynamic face really lets go to town with the expression. Here's how it's painted:

I didn't undercoat the face with Chaos Black, but instead used Tallarn Flesh (foundation coat) which I thinned quite a lot - this can easily be done with water, since the foundation coat has a very high pigmentation rate which doesn't loose its coating ability with just one or two applications.

From there I washed the whole face with two to three light washes of Ogryn Flesh - don't do one heavy wash, since you risk getting too much uncontrolled paint on the model. With a few thinned applications of paint you can really control the shading to the deepest recesses. Also, the wash dries quite quickly, so this doesn't take forever :)

Next step was a 1:1 mix of Tallarn Flesh and Dwarf Flesh, which was painted onto all but the deepest reccesses. One lightly thinned coating should do it. Afterwards, reshade the recesses (don't forget the hairline and the cheeks). From here use the mix you just applied and lightly add a bit more Dwarf flesh (keep the paint quite thin) and paint a highlight of the raised areas. Finish with a final highlight of a 4:1 mix of Dwarf Flesh and Bleached Bone (also thinned, of course).

Go back to your washes and touch up on any errors. Also, use a light application of Devlan Mud for the deepest shadows.

The eyes are painted first black, and then dotted with two dots of Skull White. I usually don't get this right the first or second time, so be prepared to redo this process a coulpe of times :) After you get the dots right, re-touch the outer and middle eye with dots of Chaos Black.

The mouth is painted Chaos Black, and a thin line of Skull White is painted top and bottom to represent the teeth. The tounge is painted first Scab Red and then Blood Red.

Tidy up any mistakes to the skin-tone made during the eye-process and you're ready for the hair.

The hair is easier. Paint it with Graveyard Earth, do one or two washes of Devlan Mud and then highlight first with Kommando Khaki and then Bleached Bone (this is most easliy done with a small drybrush).

I hope this was helpful - please don't hesistate to ask if you have anything you wish to have explained further :)

Archived