FAQ: Removing Paint - Paint Stripping

Metal figurers are easier to strip, however has any paint come off the pred.? I often find I need to sit a model in simple green for a couple of days, scrub, and then repeat 2 or 3 times, or until I'm happy with it.

If there is no change at all I dont know what that could be...

Metal figurers are easier to strip, however has any paint come off the pred.? I often find I need to sit a model in simple green for a couple of days, scrub, and then repeat 2 or 3 times, or until I'm happy with it.

If there is no change at all I dont know what that could be...

No paint is coming off the Pred. It's like I coated it in concrete or something.

Here's how I stripped 1500+ points of mini's with the stuff:

Bathed them in Dettol for aprox. 24Hrs. Scrubbed with soft toothbrush, rinsing them once in a while in the same dettol container. Keep repeating until the model is 'clean'. I then tookl them to a large tub of very soapy water, and let them soak in there for a few hours. I rinsed them off under the tap, and they came out great. I never had any gooey residue on any of my models.

Don't dilute (as mentioned above) or use water with your toothbrush. You may also want to use a well ventilated area, Dettol has a very strong (hospital like)smell. It is for the most part safe to use, but wearing thin latex gloves would be good.

hope this info helps! Dettol saved my army!

I have troble making up my mind on which army to play and as a result I have become an expert in stripping minis. My advise is do not use dettol. It discolours the plastic for a start and will strip skin from your fingers too. Go to Bunnings and buy simple green. It is far and away THE best paint stripper for plastic minis bar none. Soak your minis overnight and scrub with a NEW tooth brush. If it is undercoated with something nasty you may need to repeat the process a number of times. While you are at Bunnings go to the tool section and look for a cheap engraver. I found one for 10 bucks and it had nurmerous attachments with it...one of these being a wire brush. Now providing you don't spin your wheel in the one place for too long it won't damage your mini. (it will melt it if you let it so be carefull and do a test mini first). I also use a little more pressure to remove mold lines with this attachment too. If you don't have a bunnings send me 15 bucks and I'll pick some up and post it to you.

Plastic models stripp perfectly in break fluid! I stripped a couple of old rhinos about an hour or 2 of swimming in the stuff most of the paint slips of with a finger rub! a thick spray base coat might require a little scrubbing. Also it dissolved the glue on the models not sure if it was superglue or plastic glue as i got the off eBay :) so its brill at taking of paint Nd if you leave it in long enough another chance to rebuild it :wub:

Wiser :P

Some plastic discolouration is a small price to pay (it doesn't happen all the time and it'll be painted over anyway!).

Would you rather spend $15 on Simple Green or $3 - $5 on a bottle of Dettol?

Also I should point out that Dettol strips metal minis fantastically well.

Best of luck with whatever you choose my deathworld based compatriot :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

[Edit: This appears to have been moved here. This post is in reference to my use of Dawn Power Dissolver to strip paint.]

I have now done 30 RT-era metal Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines, and can add a bit to the analysis.

1) The paint literally washes off after 24 hours in the goo. I did not need to use a toothbrush or scraper at all.

2) I have not had a single mini discolor.

3) Plastic backpacks come out just as clean, and with no damage.

4) Glue appears to get brittle. This may be a function of the fact that we're talking about 20 year old glue. I have not tried this product on plastic glued to plastic (a vehicle will be my next experiment).

5) Sealant and primer come off the same as paint.

6) I have not tested this product on any form of putty (greenstuff, etc).

7) This gunk is cost effective. As stated, I've cleaned 30 marines and counting, and only used half of a $3 bottle. The used goo is nearly black in color, but it is still working.

All in all, a nice product.

• 1 month later...
Theres a poduct called water based graffiti remover its for getting spray paint,permanent marker, off delacate surfaces like painted sufaces and plastic like laminate walls, toilet cubicals and the like, unfortunatly its only avalable thrugh the cleaning trade but its really affective and does not harm enviroment and its non toxic to youre skin. Its supplyed to schools and collages but some harweare stores might sell it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry I know this will be around the forum somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Basically I'm looking to strip down a 3000 point army of Black Templar for re-painting with models being made of metal, plastic and resin. It was suggested that I try Dettol by one of the store managers in Oxford but I tried that last night and really disliked the results. It did take the paint off but in a very rubbery/glue-y form that was a pain in the ass to actually fully remove.

What suggestions do people have for the best UK based products for this job? Otherwise do I want to import some American stufF?

I've even used Flash floor cleaning products on plastic and metal with reasonable success.

If you're stripping metal minis I hear that nail-polish remover is very effective.

I did make a topic (with tutorials) specifically about UK paint stripping but for some reason it was merged into a US thread full of posts about simple green. :lol:

personally i use ovenpride, faster than cilit bang/ fairy power spray and easier to clean off than dettol, plastics take a while but itll strip metal back to looking brand new in no time.

There's a reason the yanks rave about it though - it is actually very effective. Expensive over here, but IMO (and I've used a lot of different stuff) worth the effort of getting.

It's always the things that comes when you speak about paint stripping. If it really is as effective as people say then it's a no brainer to give it a try.

right now I am stipping tons off ebay. I've expermented with MR.MUSCLE to mixed results. Dettol kitchen spray is on deal in Sainsbury!! Get a few bottles empty into a big plastic pot with lid. Spray with mr muscle leave half hour or till it starts to dry. I seal a batch in a plastic pot or your lungs will die.

Brush hard and drop in the dettol pot.

Leave for at least a week checking and brushing This will loosen up paint and allow more moisture infiltration.

There is till going to be the odd bit in the cracks. The worse it is the longer this will take.

Metal seems to be the easiest to clean.

If anyone has any surefire tips i'd love to know.

if you want to use dettol you need to be using the standard brown gloopy crap not the surface cleaner it strips fast but the residue is a pain to get off.

cillit bang/fair power spray are the easiest to work with but take the longest.

graffiti remover is good for normal paint.. crap on primer.

OVENPRIDE is the best ive used.. it cuts through the paint fast and doesnt damage plastic.. metal you only have to show a pot of ovenpride and the paint falls off.

major things to know about it though.. its nasty stuff, seal the pot you put it in (old ice cream tub for me) and wear gloves as it is corrosive..

to strip plastic you want to leave it in overnight, rinse it with water and scrub the paint off with a firm bristled brush.. repeat process until its stripped enough for you (usually helps to get rid of the layers of normal paint to cut through primer, no matter what the stripping process)

defo shudnt be taking a week though.

IME, isopropyl alcohol works wonders for all the materials: overnight it will rip even primer.

As for metal models, nothing beats universal solvent (acetone or whatever)...nothing :P

For a cheap reusable alternative - Brake fluid!

Pop them in leave overnight and attack with stiff brisstled tooth brush - and TADAA!!!

Works on yiour hard mini's (metal) and soft (Plastic) not sure how it will react with Resin though (never owned resin mini's that i need to strip)

Depending on what they used to paint it the overnight bath should do the trick - some other paints may need slightly longer!

Oh as a tip brush clean them straight from the fluid - DO NOT RINSE before hand! - seems that the water sets the paint again....

and be aware of the splatter! lol!

have tried some of the others but either the fumes is to much or lack lustre results

Cheap nail varnish remover is your friend. Dunk the model and leave for about 1-2 hours, then brush the paint off with an old tooth brush. Use toothpicks and a pair of tweezers to get stubborn paint off. Not very good for very heavily painted models, but if it's only had one coat (even a thick one) the paint should peel off easy.

Do note that this probably isn't the best method for models you care about, since there's always a little paint left in the recesses. You might want to try it out on a model you don't care about first. Also, though infantry are fine (unless really heavily painted) bigger things are a pain in the :).

Cheap though, only £1 a bottle at Tesco.

I'd leave it overnight for Dettol. And for Christ's sake don't rinse with water! Rinse with more Dettol first so the paint blobs come off. THEN use water. :D

For a cheap reusable alternative - Brake fluid!

Pop them in leave overnight and attack with stiff brisstled tooth brush - and TADAA!!!

Works on yiour hard mini's (metal) and soft (Plastic) not sure how it will react with Resin though (never owned resin mini's that i need to strip)

Depending on what they used to paint it the overnight bath should do the trick - some other paints may need slightly longer!

Oh as a tip brush clean them straight from the fluid - DO NOT RINSE before hand! - seems that the water sets the paint again....

and be aware of the splatter! lol!

have tried some of the others but either the fumes is to much or lack lustre results

THIS!!!

i stripped some old mk1 rhinos and a mk1 landraider i bought from ebay...they swam in some brake fluid for an hour or 2 in the sun (sealed) the warm brake fluid stripped all 4 layers of paint and primer clean off! ;)

ruinned my white short tho :D

Wisey B)

Archived