Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1500 Khorne/Undivided

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

eyescrossed

eyescrossed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,888 posts
I'd like your opinions on this list. I'll be using it against Termy heavy Marines, Eldar with 2 squads of Dire Avengers and 3 MCs, and Tyranids with a crapload of Genestealers and Gaunts, and 3 MCs.

HQ: Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour with Chainfist (bad choice, yes, but I've already glued him :D ) - 135
Chaos Lord with Mark of Khorne, Bloodfeeder and Personal Icon - 145

Elites: 5 Terminators with Icon of Chaos Glory, 1 Powerfist, 1 Chainfist, Combi-Flamer, Heavy Flamer and Champion with 2 Lightning Claws - 215
5 Possessed (don't really expect them to do anything, but they're great distractions, as they're actually too lethal to let them reach enemy lines) - 130

Troops: 10 Chaos Marines, Icon of Chaos Glory, Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun, Champion with Powerfist and Meltabombs - 230
5 Chaos Marines with Meltagun (cheap and discourage tanks getting too close) - 85
8 Khorne Berzerkers with 1 Plasma Pistol and Champion with Powerfist - 216
Rhino with Extra Armour - 50

Fast Attack: 5 Raptors, Champion with 2 Lightning Claws and Meltabombs - 145

Heavy Support: Vindicator with Daemonic Possession and Dirge Caster - 150

1501 points (don't have a cry about 1 extra point :P )

What do you think? Should I replace the Vindicator with a 3 Lascannon Predator? Because my army is severely lacking in anti-tank.

C&C welcome.

Edited by eyescrossed, 03 April 2009 - 06:32 AM.

Stolen from rodmillard on Warseer
The right to bear arms makes only slightly more sense than the right to arm bears.
Look what I did:
QUOTE (traitor_dice @ Oct 27 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*flys through the air*

"nogoodrottenspinelesswarp-dwelling traaaaaaaaiiiiiitooooooorrrr......"

*crashes to the ground unconcious*

Zhukov

Zhukov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,363 posts
Well to be honest I think its a bad list, not even semi-competative, it's not a joke list right? (no offensve):

-Bad hq choices. It almost cannot be worse
-Bad termi setup
-Possesed are bad
-That 5 man marine squad is...well bad too
-5 raptors are too few for assault
-1 vindi is not good in 1500

Really this is not a serious list right? Or is it? If yes, I almost cannot believe it (again no offense)

I'm open to messages if you want help or advice from me.

You can ask me anything.

eyescrossed

eyescrossed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,888 posts

Well to be honest I think its a bad list, not even semi-competative, it's not a joke list right? (no offensve):

-Bad hq choices. It almost cannot be worse
-Bad termi setup
-Possesed are bad
-That 5 man marine squad is...well bad too
-5 raptors are too few for assault
-1 vindi is not good in 1500

Really this is not a serious list right? Or is it? If yes, I almost cannot believe it (again no offense)

It has done me good when I played without the Vindicator.
1. The HQ choices have worked well for me - I'm not using overpowered Daemon Princes.
2. The Termies have done me great against everything they've faced - there's enough anti-tank (Powerfist and Chainfists), and a lot of anti-horde potential, and they, for want of a better term, pwn in close combat.
3. I know Possessed are seen as bad, but I don't really care - they're a distraction from the Berzerkers and Raptors, and if the enemy decides to target the Berzerkers and Raptors instead, the Possessed will mulch him.
4. What else am I meant to do with the 5 CSMs I got with the Battleforce?
5. So 5 Raptors are too few yet Space Marines field 5 man Assault squads?
6. That's why I asked if I should replace it with Predator :P

Thanks for the comment, it helped a little bit, it's just me and my friends don't build cheesy armies. Ever. I will probably make a few changes to what you said. I just really want to know what to do with the 5 CSMs.
The right to bear arms makes only slightly more sense than the right to arm bears.
Look what I did:
*flys through the air*

Zhukov

Zhukov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,363 posts
Okay, well I will add some more thoughts:

-If you dont want to field princes thats totally fine of course, but try other setups like:
Lord w/ wings, MoK and twin lightning claws; Sorcerer w/ wings, warptime and plasma pistol; Lord w/ termi armour, deamon weapons and combimelta (you should be able to model him not?).

-if you want to use possesed at least give them a rhino I say
-What else to do w/ that 5 man squad? Buy more models to add it up to 10 or convert them to plagues or whatever you like, but its not an excuse to use bad 5 man squad.
-Loyalist marine dont field 5 man assault squads and if they do then thats bad too. 7-10 man it should be (preferably 8) for assault. Or 5 man with 2 specials.
-Dont put a plasma pistol on berzerkers its too expensive for them. (I only use plasma pistols on BS5 models IF I use them at all)
-Well 1 vindi can do if you are not playing competative, but if you look at it that way the same can be said for the other choices of course, but 1 vindi is not totally suckage.

Hope this helps a bit more.

You can ask me anything.

eyescrossed

eyescrossed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,888 posts

Okay, well I will add some more thoughts:

Yay! :P

-If you dont want to field princes thats totally fine of course, but try other setups like:
Lord w/ wings, MoK and twin lightning claws; Sorcerer w/ wings, warptime and plasma pistol; Lord w/ termi armour, deamon weapons and combimelta (you should be able to model him not?).

Hmm... Those seem pretty good, actually.

-if you want to use possesed at least give them a rhino I say

Yeah, i'd do that if I could afford it >.<

-What else to do w/ that 5 man squad? Buy more models to add it up to 10 or convert them to plagues or whatever you like, but its not an excuse to use bad 5 man squad.

What about Chosen with 5 Special Weapons? Are they alright?

-Loyalist marine dont field 5 man assault squads and if they do then thats bad too. 7-10 man it should be (preferably 8) for assault. Or 5 man with 2 specials.

Hmm... I suppose I could buy the 3 pack of CSMs and give them wings. Literally.

-Dont put a plasma pistol on berzerkers its too expensive for them. (I only use plasma pistols on BS5 models IF I use them at all)

Damn, too late - I already glued it :tu:

-Well 1 vindi can do if you are not playing competative, but if you look at it that way the same can be said for the other choices of course, but 1 vindi is not totally suckage.

Yeah, but would I be better off with a Predator?

Hope this helps a bit more.

It did :P
Look what I did:
*flys through the air*

Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,152 posts
I would drop 1 of those HQ (Terminator one) and the personal Icon on the Khorne lord, there is no unit in the army that can use it so its a waste on points.

ditch the possessed.

The Meltabomb and powerfist combo is not very usefull. It might look nice but not usefull.
Ditch the Extra armour on the Rhino just keep that thing Cheap.

Cut the Plasmapistol from the Berzerker and put a meltagun on those raptors (they could use it.) Also when you play them use the Landraider as cover.

ditch the dirge caster.

This nets you 300 points.

Now a Landraider with Dozerblades could provide youre Termies a Transport and gives you some much needed Antitank For 220 points it would fit in. The remaining 75 points could be spent to improve the 5 men squad into a 6 man Plague marine unit and an extra Melta gun.

If my maths are correct this will get you at 1501 points.

Edited by Spacefrisian, 03 April 2009 - 07:33 AM.

There are no Deamons in 40k

Zhukov

Zhukov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,363 posts
Okay I'm confused, you are not THE eyescrossed are you? Have you 'stole' his account or something like that? :cuss? :P

You can ask me anything.

eyescrossed

eyescrossed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,888 posts

I would drop 1 of those HQ (Terminator one) and the personal Icon on the Khorne lord, there is no unit in the army that can use it so its a waste on points.

Uhh... Termies can use Icons to not scatter :P
Thanks for the comment, though.

Okay I'm confused, you are not THE eyescrossed are you? Have you 'stole' his account or something like that? :cuss? :P

Uhh... I'm THE eyescrossed. What, are you implying I'm a rude brat? :tu:

EDIT: Also, I'm not having anything that isn't Khorne or Undivided.

Edited by eyescrossed, 03 April 2009 - 07:38 AM.

Look what I did:
*flys through the air*

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts
Too much icing, not enough cake.

daemon*hunter

daemon*hunter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 325 posts
In regards to pp on Zerker, it isnt worth 15 pts for 1 or 2 shots per game.

Theres nothing wrong with an army list made of stuff you like, just dont always expect to win! :lol: (my army lists like that, but seems rather strong from what i hear)

eyescrossed

eyescrossed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,888 posts

Too much icing, not enough cake.

Oh really? As somebody said on B&C a few weeks or months ago, you don't need a crapload of Troops to win a game - I just keep my Troops on my objective(s) and contest to the enemy's with non-scoring units.

In regards to pp on Zerker, it isnt worth 15 pts for 1 or 2 shots per game.

And those 1 or 2 shots kill at least 1 marine, which is 16 points, so points are already made up. Although that's only if you actually get to shoot.

New, revised list:

HQ: Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour with Chainfist - 135
Chaos Lord with Mark of Khorne, Bloodfeeder and Personal Icon - 145

Elites: 5 Terminators with Icon of Chaos Glory, 1 Powerfist, 1 Chainfist, Combi-Flamer, Heavy Flamer and Champion with 2 Lightning Claws - 215
5 Possessed - 130

Troops: 10 Chaos Marines, Icon of Chaos Glory, Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun, Champion with Powerfist - 225
5 Chaos Marines - 75
8 Khorne Berzerkers with 1 Plasma Pistol and Champion with Powerfist - 216
Rhino - 35

Fast Attack: 8 Raptors, 1 Meltagun and Champion with 2 Lightning Claws- 210

Heavy Support: Predator with Heavy Bolter sponsons and Havoc Launcher - 115

1501 points

Thoughts?
Look what I did:
*flys through the air*

eyescrossed

eyescrossed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,888 posts
*Desperate bump* I could remove a few things and make the Predator a Lascannon one for more anti-tank.
Look what I did:
*flys through the air*

killmaimburn14

killmaimburn14

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9 posts
I think it looks alright. I'd personally take out 3 Raptors and the Plasma Pistol on a 'zerk to make the Predator an all Lascannon one although.
QUOTE (==Me== @ Mar 15 2009, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like everything else in the Imperium, Space Marine vehicles are powered by skulls, purity seals and screaming bald men.

eyescrossed

eyescrossed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,888 posts

I think it looks alright. I'd personally take out 3 Raptors and the Plasma Pistol on a 'zerk to make the Predator an all Lascannon one although.

Ehh... Apparently 5 Raptors isn't enough ;)
Look what I did:
*flys through the air*

meeper

meeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 306 posts
Personally I feel like the raptors dont really have a job to do. Yeah the melta gun means they can get a shot off at the occassional tank or MC but if they miss, then what? I am not saying drop them, im saying drop a man and get more special weapons for the squad or make them an all flamer or all melta squad. Personally You could add flamers to the squad and have them go horde hunting since their base attacks and aspiring champion's lighting claws would make short work of any troop squad. I would bring it down to 5 or 6 man and drop the asp champion and give them as many meltas as possible. I would rather put dual flamers or plasma guns on the CSM since they do the same job as a raptor but better since they have bolters thus making them cheaper anti infantry when you slap em in a rhino pop the top and hose down some gaunts.

Chaos isnt really an army I would trust to stand back and hold objectives unless you are playing death guard army. Their units are too expensive to be overly generalized. I would also beef up the terminator squad as many men as you could spare, drop the 5 man csm squad if you are going to keep the other CSM squad as it is, drop the plasma pistol on the zerks and add 3 more termies since that squad will be at the front lines of the figthing and thus you will want as many bodies as possible. Or make the pred into an all las pred and have him blast the crap out of the MCs and vehicles.

Zhukov

Zhukov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,363 posts
Okay I will try to help you a bit. I hope its a bit usefull for you.
I will sum up some things for you which is more or less accepted in general by the 'pros':

Raptors are taken in either:
-5 man + 2 specials, so 2x melta for a mobile anti tank unit for example. Looks a bit like the loyalists 2x attack bike.
-8 man with champion + fist/claws/sword, sometimes an icon (IoCG) and sometimes special weapons. (for example 8 man with champion w/ fist, IoCG.

Troops/possesed:
-ussually CSM are taken in squads of 10 man. Mount them in a rhino except maybe 1 objective camp squad. Always 2 special weapons, exception maybe again the objective camp squad. Dont mix assault en rapid fire special weapons so flamer/melta or 2x flamer, 2x melta or 2x plasma. If you take a champ, also take a close combat weapon. Always try to have some fists in your army. Icons worth taking are IoCG and sometimes Icon of khorne
Plague marines mostly squads of 7, berzerkers squads of 8.
To keep it easy: stay away from plasma pistols. (not often used, cover saves all over the place, overheat in not good for champions).
If you want possesed give them a rhino if possible. If footslogging, give them about 8 man (not advised).

For anti tank:
Terminators w/ combi meltas are famous. A 3 man squad only sets you back 105 points. Even today I had succes with them: they came in and destroyed a predator. After that turn the enemy still has to deal with um.
Obliterators. I say for me its the best unit in the codex, it just works almost in every force and they can deal with almost everything. The nice thing about the chaos codex is that the enemy usual focuses (they really do) on the fast assaulty stuff so your oblits should get some shots off.
Deamon prince. They are actually quite good at almost everything, and yes they destroy tanks.
2x meltagun squad with sometimes a fist and combimelta too. Quite deadly and you can take it on troops.
Those are my primarly anti tank units, at it works perfect for me. Sub optimal choices are maybe havoc squads and lasscanon predators.

Antihorde
flamers, berzerkers, plague marines, stand csm squad even. Never have problems with horde myself, if you take enough man onto the tabel you ussualy got enough anti horde. If you take lots of upgrades and toys you need some flamers and maybe a deamon prince w/ mark of nurgle and Rot too.

Hq:
You cant go wrong with a Deamon prince w/ wings, some upgrades are good too like: MoN, MoS, MoK. and power like: lash, warptime and rot. The rest is suboptimal.
Lords and sorceror arent bad either, I would always take them with wings. Dont take MoK and bloodfeeder. Just dont, its too unreliable. The rest of the deamon weapons is okay if you have a purpose for them in your army.
Sorcerer is okay too, if I use one I take wings, plasma pistol and warptime.
Termi armour isnt real bad, but it makes you rather slow. You need a retinue and/or a land raider too so I'm (and most competative players) arent a fan of termiarmour on a hq.

Okay well this is hopefully enough for now.

You can ask me anything.

eyescrossed

eyescrossed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,888 posts

Personally I feel like the raptors dont really have a job to do. Yeah the melta gun means they can get a shot off at the occassional tank or MC but if they miss, then what? I am not saying drop them, im saying drop a man and get more special weapons for the squad or make them an all flamer or all melta squad. Personally You could add flamers to the squad and have them go horde hunting since their base attacks and aspiring champion's lighting claws would make short work of any troop squad. I would bring it down to 5 or 6 man and drop the asp champion and give them as many meltas as possible. I would rather put dual flamers or plasma guns on the CSM since they do the same job as a raptor but better since they have bolters thus making them cheaper anti infantry when you slap em in a rhino pop the top and hose down some gaunts.

Chaos isnt really an army I would trust to stand back and hold objectives unless you are playing death guard army. Their units are too expensive to be overly generalized. I would also beef up the terminator squad as many men as you could spare, drop the 5 man csm squad if you are going to keep the other CSM squad as it is, drop the plasma pistol on the zerks and add 3 more termies since that squad will be at the front lines of the figthing and thus you will want as many bodies as possible. Or make the pred into an all las pred and have him blast the crap out of the MCs and vehicles.

So dual Meltas... Hmm... Sounds like a plan... Also, I'm NOT dropping the Plasma Pistol on the 'zerks, okay? I spent ages trying to work out how to put it on (silly me) and I'm not cutting it off to put a Bolt Pistol on :P
Also, I NEED to somehow use the 5 man squad. I could make 2 of them into Raptors with those wings from the Possessed, and make 3 Possessed.

Okay I will try to help you a bit. I hope its a bit usefull for you.
I will sum up some things for you which is more or less accepted in general by the 'pros':

Raptors are taken in either:
-5 man + 2 specials, so 2x melta for a mobile anti tank unit for example. Looks a bit like the loyalists 2x attack bike.
-8 man with champion + fist/claws/sword, sometimes an icon (IoCG) and sometimes special weapons. (for example 8 man with champion w/ fist, IoCG.

Hmm... I'll probably do a 7 man of the second variation.

Troops/possesed:
-ussually CSM are taken in squads of 10 man. Mount them in a rhino except maybe 1 objective camp squad. Always 2 special weapons, exception maybe again the objective camp squad. Dont mix assault en rapid fire special weapons so flamer/melta or 2x flamer, 2x melta or 2x plasma. If you take a champ, also take a close combat weapon. Always try to have some fists in your army. Icons worth taking are IoCG and sometimes Icon of khorne
Plague marines mostly squads of 7, berzerkers squads of 8.
To keep it easy: stay away from plasma pistols. (not often used, cover saves all over the place, overheat in not good for champions).
If you want possesed give them a rhino if possible. If footslogging, give them about 8 man (not advised).

Hmm... A few good points here. Why don't I footslog the possessed behind a Rhino?

For anti tank:
Terminators w/ combi meltas are famous. A 3 man squad only sets you back 105 points. Even today I had succes with them: they came in and destroyed a predator. After that turn the enemy still has to deal with um.
Obliterators. I say for me its the best unit in the codex, it just works almost in every force and they can deal with almost everything. The nice thing about the chaos codex is that the enemy usual focuses (they really do) on the fast assaulty stuff so your oblits should get some shots off.
Deamon prince. They are actually quite good at almost everything, and yes they destroy tanks.
2x meltagun squad with sometimes a fist and combimelta too. Quite deadly and you can take it on troops.
Those are my primarly anti tank units, at it works perfect for me. Sub optimal choices are maybe havoc squads and lasscanon predators.

Hmm... Okay. Looks like I have to severely modify my army :wacko:

Antihorde
flamers, berzerkers, plague marines, stand csm squad even. Never have problems with horde myself, if you take enough man onto the tabel you ussualy got enough anti horde. If you take lots of upgrades and toys you need some flamers and maybe a deamon prince w/ mark of nurgle and Rot too.

Hmm.......... I agree with this, I just don't know what so say :blush:

Hq:
You cant go wrong with a Deamon prince w/ wings, some upgrades are good too like: MoN, MoS, MoK. and power like: lash, warptime and rot. The rest is suboptimal.
Lords and sorceror arent bad either, I would always take them with wings. Dont take MoK and bloodfeeder. Just dont, its too unreliable. The rest of the deamon weapons is okay if you have a purpose for them in your army.
Sorcerer is okay too, if I use one I take wings, plasma pistol and warptime.
Termi armour isnt real bad, but it makes you rather slow. You need a retinue and/or a land raider too so I'm (and most competative players) arent a fan of termiarmour on a hq.

I really should've consulted you guys before I went off and spent all my birthday money on Chaos Space Marines <_<

Okay well this is hopefully enough for now.

Yep...
Look what I did:
*flys through the air*

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts

I really should've consulted you guys before I went off and spent all my birthday money on Chaos Space Marines

you build list then buy stuff or win tournaments to get stuff , not the other way around ., Its live and learn .

I agree with zukov here an units set ups and why is stuff bad etc .

As the 5 possessed and 5 csm go , why not take both and make one unit of 10 csm ? that at least works .

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

eyescrossed

eyescrossed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,888 posts

I really should've consulted you guys before I went off and spent all my birthday money on Chaos Space Marines

you build list then buy stuff or win tournaments to get stuff , not the other way around ., Its live and learn .

I agree with zukov here an units set ups and why is stuff bad etc .

As the 5 possessed and 5 csm go , why not take both and make one unit of 10 csm ? that at least works .

Finally! The legendary jeske consults my humble army list! ;)

Hmm... I don't quite understand what you mean by the 10 man thing - are you saying just count the Possessed as normal CSMs?
Look what I did:
*flys through the air*

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts
yeah , its not like its hard to do just mix the parts around . If people use wfb skeletons on square bases as Lesser demons , there is no problems with making possessed csm . Too most players from across the table all meqs look the same .

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

eyescrossed

eyescrossed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,888 posts

yeah , its not like its hard to do just mix the parts around . If people use wfb skeletons on square bases as Lesser demons , there is no problems with making possessed csm . Too most players from across the table all meqs look the same .

Wait, what? Sorry, I'm a bit tired (it's midnight now), are you saying that I should make a 10 man squad of CSMs mixing Possessed in them, or a 10 man Possessed squad? I think you mean the former, I'm just checking.
Look what I did:
*flys through the air*

Zhukov

Zhukov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,363 posts
Believe me he means normal csm's, and thats actually quite a nice advise. If you didnt put together the units mix the parts so you get about 10 csm with some little mutations, not enough to be possesed. This way you dont have to use 'count as', they are just csm with some little mutations.

You can ask me anything.

janekk

janekk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 33 posts

This way you dont have to use 'count as', they are just csm with some little mutations.

And in future they can be used as mighty fine models for Fabius enchanced marines (or some CC Chosen).

Edited by janekk, 05 April 2009 - 04:33 PM.

eyescrossed

eyescrossed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,888 posts
Thanks for the advice :)
I didn't realise it, but in my army list, there were originally only 2 units staying back to hold the objectives. 15 Chaos Marines. Now, it'll be 20 and a Predator, although I'm still debating whether to give it 3 Lascannons or keep it as a Dakka Pred.
Look what I did:
*flys through the air*

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts
dont take a las pred , if you want lascanons in chaos you use oblits.