Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Templar Titan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

paulson games

paulson games

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 610 posts
As I landed a very cheap motherload of foamboard at the local craft store I've been toying with the idea of starting a titan. I'm torn between building a warlord or going for an emperor class just for sheer absurdity. While not "practical" the warlord is certainly the more sane option for building if for nothing other than it being a smaller size. However there's a huge wow factor that comes with the emperor, and I find myself thinking if I'm aiming big why not aim for the biggest?

My one reservation about the project is the sheer size of it, I have no clue where I'll put such a monsterous model, and my thunderhawk project still sits idle as I didn't see that through all the way. I don't want to get half way into a titan only to abandon it. Part of the problem with teh thunderhawk was my obsession with having it to exact scale with the FW one, and as there's no exact plan or look for titans I may not get so ensnared and burned out over making the fine details match perfectly.

Cost isn't actually that high, the foam core I got 20 sheets for just under $20 which will be more than enough for the project, I have an ample amount of styrene left over from the thunderhawk and can pick up mor ein bulk fairly cheap. I just purchased a scribing tool and a punch set so I won't be stuck cutting individual panels of armor saving a huge amount of time vs the thunderhawk style. The only major exspense would be is I use a good amount city fight terrain, or actual GW bits for weaponry, even with city fight pieces that I think the project will be in the maximum range of $200-300 it could cost less. Cost is relatively minor, what will make or break the project is the time factor. I know it's going to take a huge amount of time, and I can't even begin to guess at actual hours it'll take.

I'd seen dreamforge's leviathan crusader/blockhead models some time ago and would have been happy buying those but sadly GW shut them down and they aren't available. A select few managed to get out before they were cancelled but they are impossible to find and nobody would part with them even if they had them. Somebody had made 3-d paper templates, but the site and links were all dead as they were the better part of 5 years old. I spent a lot of time searching the web and finally ran across a set which I'm debating about using. The designs works well for an emperor class, but will need to redesign to fit extra hull weapons onto it. I think it'd also need to be increased in size, which will take work but I'm capable of doing on photoshop.

The template would only serve as a loose framework, I want the weapons to look better and need to change up the castle a bit. I'd want to give it slightly more templarish look, or make it a mix of templar and mechanicus. I'd also have to figure out what weapon load out would work best depending on if it's a warlord or a emperor.

Anyways here's concept pics for reference:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Any thoughts? Too big of a project? Thoughts on what design changes chould be made?

Edited by paulson games, 03 April 2009 - 08:00 PM.

Marshal2 Crusaders

Marshal2 Crusaders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + ADEPTUS DOMUS +
  • 8,261 posts
It would be pretty cool to have support from a Titan Legion that has tricked out their titans to be more Castle like. I would make it sturdier than the one above as it looks like it is only card. You should re-enforce the feet with dowels to strengthen the ankles.

I have always wanted to see a Templar Titan Legion. Or at least a Forge World that supports the Templars.

paulson games

paulson games

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 610 posts
I'm pretty sure that one is made entirely of card stock that had the templates pasted to it. Any titan I build will be much sturdier as I want it to hold up for game play, it'll be made of foam core with styrene layered on top of it which makes it relaly tough and sturdy, and for good measure I'll be making an interntal skeleton from pvc pipe to help support the weight. I have enough copper water pipe laying around I could even use that rather than go buy pvc, and a copper pipe frame would take some soldering but it'd be very strong.

My thoughts for making it seem more templarish is to add al sorts of hanging braizers, chains and banners etc.

Edited by paulson games, 03 April 2009 - 08:10 PM.

jeffersonian000

jeffersonian000

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,932 posts
The titan pictured as made of resin and is no longer available as a model, however, there are templates available for building it from paper (I have both this template and a set for another titan in same line). Personnally, I'd go with building a warlord, and leave enough space on the carapace to mount 6 weapons so you can field it as an Emperor if needed (you'd also want to mount bunkers on the legs for the Emperor mod, as well).

SJ
“And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.”
- Revelations 9:9

PlasmaBomb

PlasmaBomb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 190 posts
Um... Titans aren't very fluffy for Templars.

They just aren't up close and personal :)

paulson games

paulson games

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 610 posts
Well if I built one with a giant chainsword cc weapon it may feel a bit more templar like and it'd let the templars attend church while riding their way into battle :wub:

It's a bit slow compaired to raiders and pods but they'd certainly get there in style.

A templars build (like most any marine list) in apoc needs to rely on command assets a lot in order to be effective, they don't have the range to compete with superheavies and won't make it across the board under apoc level fire unless tricks are used, and I certainly don't want to field an apoc level podding list as it's way too many models. I've run a thunderhawk which is very fluffy but mechanically it's an overpriced flying coffin.

Marshal2 Crusaders

Marshal2 Crusaders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + ADEPTUS DOMUS +
  • 8,261 posts
I have always imagined something like a Siege Titan supporting Templars.

Imagine a massive force of Templars mounted inside a cathedral atop a Warlord striding to a wall the size of a small mountain range, suddenly the ramps drop and out comes Terminators with Thunder Hammers and Chainsword waving Crusader Squads. It would be like a massive Siege Tower.

BigJon

BigJon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 411 posts
I had both of those titans on order with Dreamforge before BigBrother(GW) shut them down.
It was a sad day indeed. I like the idea of a fortress looking Titan backing up a crusade.

You can even say its a mobile Keep on a world that is used to move between communities to spread
the word and keep the peace.

BigJon
Everyone stay calm! This is not happening!

Chaplain ChonkE

Chaplain ChonkE

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,120 posts

Um... Titans aren't very fluffy for Templars.

They just aren't up close and personal :)

And that huge Chainfist/Chainsword thingy is just there for laughs and kicks? ;)

Godfrey

Godfrey

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 648 posts
I just can't see a chain sword of that size being functional. Seriously, what would it be cutting that wouldn't fit between the blades?

I'd go with a hammer style close combat weapon. Smashing, is always something I can get on board with.
Marshal Godfrey

By my ever fervent blade, and by The Emperor's will, you shall be cleansed.

My Oath Completed! Black Templars Expansion IV
My Album - Black Templars

paulson games

paulson games

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 610 posts
Stompy feet are for the up and close effect, why hello mr marine have a taste of my waffle boot ;)

The chain sword is cool but the arm slot makes best sense to hold a dstructor weapon that isn't subject to a minimum range like the carapace weapons. I do like the thought of a battle chapel being housed in the titan which becomes a massive seige machine, bust open the defenders fortifications with the big guns then pop open the assault doors and half a company comes spilling out to maul the survivors, it'd be so beautiful. :lol:

blackbabyjesus

blackbabyjesus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 550 posts

Seriously, what would it be cutting that wouldn't fit between the blades?

Other titans, cutting their faces. With a giant chain fist. In their faces.
My Red Scorpions project log and the glorious nipplewing!

Marshal2 Crusaders

Marshal2 Crusaders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + ADEPTUS DOMUS +
  • 8,261 posts
Anything could fit between those blades. There is a large space.

PlasmaBomb

PlasmaBomb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 190 posts

Seriously, what would it be cutting that wouldn't fit between the blades?

Other titans, cutting their faces. With a giant chain fist. In their faces.

That made me laugh...

paulson games

paulson games

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 610 posts
yeah I laughed at that pretty hard. :tu: It is a chainsword so it would be spinning, just because you fit between the teeth doesn't mean you are even remotely safe.

PlasmaBomb

PlasmaBomb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 190 posts
Titan powerfist anyone?

Edited by PlasmaBomb, 08 April 2009 - 09:25 PM.

Initiate of the Templar

Initiate of the Templar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 216 posts
Big Titan + Massive Chainsword + Enemy Baneblade = 0 armor saves! Im thinking Heavy 20 - rending, sound like a titan to you? ;)

Gavotte

Gavotte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 245 posts
I'd like to see a transforming titan... Gigantic cathedral to walker to... super-heavy tank?

Edited by Gavotte, 09 April 2009 - 06:26 AM.

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
- Robin Williams

Black Templars: Wins: 8 | Losses: 8 | Draws: 5
Brother Gav's Tinkershop! (Last updated:10/4/2009)

Chaplain ChonkE

Chaplain ChonkE

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,120 posts
Doesnt Chaos have little transforming Titans?

I digress though, I think Templars would love to have a few Titans :lol: Well, maybe it is just me! Just like Paulson said, what isnt cool about a Crusade of Marines in the leg bastions of a Titan spilling out amongst the enemy after the Titan crushes the wall?

Paulson has all the shiny toys! :lol:

paulson games

paulson games

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 610 posts

Paulson has all the shiny toys! <_<

Not yet I don't ;) Hence why I'm working on the titan.

(I also just got rid of my FW thunderhawk :( )

My templars collection benefitted greatly when I stopped playing ccgs and other games, it allowed me to pick up a lot of extra stuff over the last two years. Ebay and the internet is your friend for finding cheap stuff. I allow myself between $100-150 a month for gaming, and look for everyway possible to stretch that money.

I'm estimate that the total cost on the titan is going to be under $100, it's just going to take a huge amount of time to build.

The scratch build thunderhawk project (which isn't even half done) already ran way more than the completed titan will but that's because I spent a fortune on getting the bolter sponsons and missles, but if you have time to scratch build stuff right you can do big models very cheaply.

Buying specific bits and cleaning off old models bought dirt cheap will also help bolsters army ranks for not much cash, but it's all a matter of how much time and mostly paitience that you have available.

Edited by paulson games, 13 April 2009 - 02:00 AM.

Marshal2 Crusaders

Marshal2 Crusaders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + ADEPTUS DOMUS +
  • 8,261 posts
$150 bucks a month? Wow!

Edited by Von Richthofen, 14 April 2009 - 12:07 PM.
Removed tongue-in-cheek remark about drugs - not board appropriate.

paulson games

paulson games

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 610 posts
Nope, I just work full time for $10 a hour which is actully pretty bad pay. <_<