DoW FoK and all new DoW 2: Warpstorm Over Aurelia

Blasphear

OK from a graphical perspective I'm very impressed - it's a good step-up from the original graphics of Dark Crusade. Now make me interested in getting it ^_^

EDIT: by that I mean what do I get out of it that's better than the original?

Supposedly it's true to codex as much as a videogame can be.

Although I'm currently annoying some people by pointing out that they aren't being true to codex with their vision of how to do the C:WH and C:DH armies.

@ Melissa. I thought we were following codex, just not the one you want us to do.

@ everyone else. Well, FoK changes game play a lot, Its more in depth, their are so many units to choose from. We have a Doctrine system, that lets you choose between different types of army. (Chaos marks are one) but we also have an Armoured Company and Infantry Company, for the Imperial Guard. their is talk of bringing in Eldar Craft Worlds as well (not for a while). Having new units opens (and sometimes closes) doors in the way of tactics. We have a brand new AI that will keep you on you toes. also includes some of the best maps created by the community. Pop cap has been redone, you can now have a lot more units in game. But there are so many things that make this mod great you HAVE to see it to believe it. Seriously, FoK is the only mod I play, the original DoW doesn't even come close to this mod

There is some great Gray Knights stuff at the forum currently. take a looky ;)

What about the Annihilation mod? I love that mod ;) [shadowsword and Baneblade + 4 Leman Russ = pure win ;)] There's a q: is the Shadowsword in there? And what else is in there? All the units in the codices?

Wow, this looks great.

But Melissa. Do you need to moan about WH & DH EVERY post you make?

It's part of her very being.

We need to breath, she needs to complain about WH and DH. (mostly WH)

You don't want her to wither away now do you? :mellow:

OK from a graphical perspective I'm very impressed - it's a good step-up from the original graphics of Dark Crusade. Now make me interested in getting it :mellow:

EDIT: by that I mean what do I get out of it that's better than the original?

Hi, I know I'm a new guy here and all in the forums, but I'd like to talk about the many qualities of Firestorm over Kronus as a game mod.

First of all, as has been noticed: The Eye Candy.

The team has reworked the graphics for a large amount of units. As the images of Space Marines in this thread suggest, there's a lot more detail in each model, and certain units simply look a lot better than their original DoW counterparts. Orks are truly randomized for example, (something i've always wanted since vDoW, even when I didn't know jack squat about 40k, I wonder why Relic did not implement this) Tanks, Walkers and any other vehicle I can think of look fantastic. Simply put, the game looks fantastic with respect to the old game-engine. From Commanders to basic units, everything just looks awesome.

Second of all: New Units.

Firestorm over Kronus adds a wide variety of new units to just about every race in Dark Crusade. The only exception being Necrons, due to the fact that they only had a few units to begin with, already in DoW. However, the Mod adds units such as Ork Lootas, Kommandos, Gun Wagons, Space Marine Veterans (Sternguard, Vanguard), Vindicators, Land Raider Crusaders (although not really a new unit, as we all know, just a variant. Still badass nevertheless). We also get Striking Scorpions, Eversor Assasins, More varieties of Heavy Weapon Teams, Chaos that truly divides into different marks, and such adds even more units such as Daemonettes, Plague Marines, Noise Marines, Rubric Marines, Chaos Terminators. Not to mention a wide variety of Tau units such as Tetra and Piranha skimmers, Gue've'sa Auxiliaries and so on, so forth. The list goes on. The units are all quite awesome and give tons of gameplay choices for the player, resulting in (what my opinion are) truly badass armies.

My favorite additions so far have been the two flavors of TechMarines and the Space Marine Honor Guard. One of the most epic units I have ever seen in a game, ever. Even outside of DoW.

My final point: Gameplay.

FoK does some radical changes to how DoW plays. Units are dividing according to TableTop (HQ, Elites, Fast Attack, Troops, Heavy Support) and thus makes you think more regarding your army. Dawn of War is fast paced and brutal, which is awesome, but although it requires a great deal of strategy and tactics, there are still some cheesy spams and moves that negatively affect its quality. Now, I'm not 100% into FoK's gameplay. The game seems slower paced, at least due to insane unit prices (one example: Flash Gitz with upgrades can end up costing over 1000 Requisition Points, and that's straight out of Da Boyz Hut, you haven't reinforced them yet). The fact that the max requisition per second has been limited to +250, down from DoW's +400 is also sort of awkward.

Nevertheless, Army Sizes are still huge (Mobs of 30 Orks, IG squads of 25 members), units are still hardcore, if not more hardcore (Space Marines truly feel like elite supersoldiers due to the amount of damage they can take (and cost), only going down to specialized weaponry or amazing amounts of firepower. You truly need to know your counters). Every little detail adds to the overall quality, such as the new sound effects (Chaos Predator is one of my favorite units because of this) making the game quite fun.

Do I play it all the time? Not that much. I play it quite often, often enough to know it well, but I still like to alternate for several reasons. As I've said, FoK seems slower paced. The fact that units were made smaller, and with it their movement speeds means that maps are truly large, making you rely on transports simply due to the fact that getting from one side of a map to another would take forever to do. If you're into faster paced combat but simpler, you're probably gonna stick to Original Dawn of War. But nevertheless it's still quite fun. The least you should do is give it a try.

Also, the Army Painter comes with what can only be described as a metric assload of Army Schemes. Ultramarines alone get one scheme for each company.

So the lowdown is: better graphics, more units, more based around the codex. Units cost more but some come in greater numbers. Slower paced than the original. Army Painter is more advanced.

Tempting... whens the latest coming out again?

@ Melissa. I thought we were following codex, just not the one you want us to do.

Technicly speaking the only way you could follow the codex is if you were able to choose which combination of troop shoices you started out with, or just started out with no troops to begin with. Because I'm forced to use two mandatory inquisitorial stormie troops choices, the army deviates from the codex. It has nothing to do with "my" version of the codex, my version is the current print of Codex: Witch Hunters (even though I do not play a Witch Hunters army; I play a Sisters of Battle army, which is one of the three possible armies in C:WH-- Witch Hunters, Sisters of Battle, and Witch Hunter Adversaries).

The modders, however, simply cannot claim to be true to codex with their current ideas on how they are going to do it. First off they are combining C:WH and C:DH, and then they are forcing one to use Inquisitorial stormtroopers. Nevermind some comments about not adding in Arco-Flagellants and etc.

if that is your reasoning then it would also have to be tern based and have no buildings, strategic points, or the like. We are not creating a TT game, we are creating a DoW game. We are not creating a SoB race instead we are creating a witch hunters faction. it is being murged with daemon hunters because they share some of the same units. it doesn't matter that we are murging them as the player will only be able to play as one faction anyway. If you dont want to use stormies delete them! you can play as a SoB player, just dont take any Inquisitorial units, use something else.

As for not including units I cant speak for the team but I dont believe that important units will be left out.

take a look a Some recorded FoK action! http://www.xfire.com/video/a328b/

Wow looks like you all put a lot of work into this, I am actually going to reinstall DoW just to try this out. Also, is there any chance of you implementing Chaos Legions in any way shape or form? I know that the current codex does not include legion support but hey, I can dream. In any case, gonna give this a try and see how it is, amazing work on the skins though, it almost looks like a newer engine.

Just tried it out, again good job on the models and attention to detail (the predators have pintle gunners and one came out with a dozer blade, it was great ;)). That said I am having some issues, how exactly do you raise squad cap? Oddly I had no problems the first game I played, it seemed to raise itself, then it just stopped working. And is it intentional that it won't let me reinforce past 7 or sometimes at all (even when I have more than enough requisition). I might just be missing something especially since you all tried to implement FoC, but I did enjoy the parts that worked especially as marines actually felt like marines and didn't die when a grot sneezed.

You can only reinforce units within your build zone/ near a transport. This makes it harder to fight entrenched enemies. It also mean that you have the upper hand when defending your base. So a key tactic is to capture strategic points and build on them as fast as possible, giving you a forward striking line.

I've found some issues with it and I'm currently on it right now. Tried Guardsmen and that was quite amusing. Space Marines have a few faults though. Some of the weapons have green lines on them and look incomplete:- dread multi-melta, honour guard, razorback weapons, and a few others when I find them.

Termis - Houston we has a problem. I just added a chainfist and the icon for the termis in the bar at the bottom went pink :D, as shown below:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg17/Hubernator/relic00114.jpg

As for improvements, I firmly place one on the caps. Not entirely comfortable with them. Second one - where's the biker squads? And the Shadowsword for IG? :( And those skimmers for Tau need a little boost, those things and just moving blocks.

I'll add more when I find some more errors or issues

The moving blocks thing is the reason why we dont and wont have bikes. the pathing is terrible! As for texture missing, thats only because this is a beta. the new RC will be coming out soon, It is so much better, more units with almost everything textured! cap is based on table top. only a so many troops and 3 fast attacks 3 elites. 2 hq

Ohhhh!

I'm downloading it now.

Trailer looks good, and would I be correct in assuming that you said you were giving us (Chaos!) standard bearers? If I read it write, I will now forever hail you and the team as the greatest thing to happen since the actual game ever.

I salute you. *Salutes* :)

I'll make suggestions after I play.

One more thing, were those things in the trailer I saw...THOUSAND SONS!? :D :) THANK-YOU!

The moving blocks thing is the reason why we dont and wont have bikes. the pathing is terrible! As for texture missing, thats only because this is a beta. the new RC will be coming out soon, It is so much better, more units with almost everything textured! cap is based on table top. only a so many troops and 3 fast attacks 3 elites. 2 hq

Yes I noticed that one. Okay then.

PS: Found the same "pink" issue for Chosen Marines when attatching LC's to them

Ok, I just finished downloading it and playing it...

Oh...My...TZEENTCH!

I loved it. Nothing short of that.

I've only sar far played as Chaos alligned with...Tzeentch...and it was amazing. Would've been better had my computer not been lagging to high hell. It's not the mod's fault though. It happens every time I play DC.

All-in-all, I have no suggestions as of yet. It's amazing as it is.

i would say there should be an option of instead of having 50% more (which ends up limited by the FOC anywho) there should mayhaps be a second detachment option. would make things easier. also, i've noticed the resources decay at a much faster rate than normal. One other gripe, and tis really my only major issue, please please please!!! change the techmarines voice! i want a techmarine! not a tech preist in techmarine armour! lolz. other than that, keep going with this thing! its awsome!

Archived