Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1500pt Death Guard, Refined list.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

Latro_

Latro_

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts
Bit of a revamp of my DG army, Found out to my horror how ineffective my last list was in regards to long range anti tank.
Basic idea is one of the units goes in the LR and then their rhino is used as a backup/annoyance/mobile cover.

DP hides behind the LR
Obilterators take care of stuff at long range
Other two units of plague marines get stuck in.

Any good?
I know a few people might say drop the combi-weapons but I love them, they come in so handy!

Daemon Prince (Poxius the Rot King) 175
Wings, Mark of Nurgle, Warptime

7 Plague Marines 231
Bolters, Bolt Pistols, Frag, Krak, Blight, CCWs, 2x Plasmaguns
w/ Champion
Powerfist

Rhino 45
Twin-linked Bolters, Combi-Weapon, Lights, Smoke

7 Plague Marines 211
Bolters, Bolt Pistols, Frag, Krak, Blight, CCWs, 2x Flamers
w/ Champion
Powerfist

Rhino 45

7 Plague Marines 221
Bolters, Bolt Pistols, Frag, Krak, Blight, CCWs, 2x Meltaguns
w/ Champion
Powerfist

Rhino 45

2 Obliterators 150

2 Obliterators 150

Land Raider 230
2x Twin-Linked Lascannons, Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter
Smoke, Light, Combi-Weapon

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts

I know a few people might say drop the combi-weapons but I love them, they come in so handy!

well I dont know but rhinos should either be poping smokes or be stuned/destroyed by opponent , if rhinos dont get shot at then it means they dont block LoS , dont block charges etc So more or less they are being used sub optimal .

the thing with LR [single ones specially] for the same cost you can almost get a unit of pms with melta guns or a second DP .
Also am I seeing it right that you have 3 squads of pms with rhinos and an empty LR ? well 200+pts lascanons are not worth it even if they are twink linked. specially as when they get stuned they do nothing .

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

Latro_

Latro_

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts
I dunno I take ye point they should be mobile cover but games never work out how you think they will. I'v been saved so much by that extra punch a couple of combi plasma shots can deal out if ye in a fix.

Hmmm yea, its quite scary how now you put it like that, almost a whole PM squad!

The LR is not empty, one of the rhino PM units are going in it. Their spare rhino is gonna act as an ad-hoc taxi, cover, annoyance. The LR is there as a big thing to get at least one unit of PM into the thick of it and to provide a big distraction from the obliterators, who would be otherwise getting all the anti tank weapon attention (bad).

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts

who would be otherwise getting all the anti tank weapon attention (bad).

I dont think that a good army at 1500 has to target a single LR with all anti tank it has , and even if it does its going to be something like 4 mulit melta attack bikes or a drop pod/deep strike unit with combi meltas or meltas [sternguard/chaos termis/ironclads etc] . eldar at more then 1k pts run fire dragons . fire dragons=dead LR.

The LR is there as a big thing to get at least one unit of PM into the thick of it

and again i dont know what kind of armies you play against , but against the good lists a single units of pms goes in and ends up after one turn when facing a whole army.

I'v been saved so much by that extra punch a couple of combi plasma shots can deal out if ye in a fix.

ok first turn you go 12" and smokes .so no shoting. next turn your in rapid fire flamer range etc [probablly moving 12" again] this means when you drop your in charge range [if you moved the combis can shot but with str 4] and you should try to minimize the number of pms that die this turn . this probablly means you move 12" . so yeah if rhinos are alive on turn 3 , you can shot them once per battle , thats if your not tank shock or need to move to give cover/block charges. hmm seems kind of a limited to me.

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts
Well I don't think combi weops on rinos are worth it but if they have wked for you....
I'd trade the meltas in on 2 more plaz.
Other then that, it looks good.

Zhukov

Zhukov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,363 posts
Chillin are you making money every time someone buys plasma in a GW store?
I say keep the meltas.

Its quite simple if combis on rhinos work for you there are a couple of possibilties:
1. You havent played enough/not experienced enough
2. Your opponents arent good enough
3. 1 & 2.
Really drop them. You arent going to say that you see something 90% of the players dont, are you?

1 Land raider is not optimal. Especially not because:
1. You are not transporting assault troops in it.
2. We havent got 'Power of the machine spirit', so we cant move 6 inch and fire both lasscanons at different targets.
3. 1 is destroyed easily by competent opponents. (Like jeske said at land raiders go different anti tank in comparison to Oblits. melta at land raiders/lasscanon at Oblits for example)

If you are standing still and shooting both lasscanons, well your Plagues arent doing much good.

Conclusion: drop land raider, or take another.

I'm open to messages if you want help or advice from me.

You can ask me anything.

DemetriiTZ

DemetriiTZ

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 541 posts
Plasma is horrible in 5th. Safer, but less effective due to prolific cover saves, and 3+ invulnerable Terminators.

Melta is the way to go.

If you really, really want combi-weapons, pick up some combi-flamers or combi-meltas for your Plague Champions.

And yeah, I dunno.. Chillin really loves his blue rayguns. I have my own suspicions. ;)

Edited by DemetriiTZ, 08 April 2009 - 11:38 AM.

Latro_

Latro_

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts
Are the combi's really that thought of as crap? I know they're not something I would of ever though of spending points on in years past but I can honestly say they'v come in really handy for the relatively low pts cost in such a elite high costed army. Rhinos get imobolised, there are also times you don't want to just plow 12" forward each turn and you want to bide your time. Drive-by 6 plasma shots in the last game proved very effective.

Yea half of me is thinking of ditching the raider in favour of a possessed vindicator and another obilterator? That is what I was gonna go for before I decided on the LR.

Edited by Latro_, 08 April 2009 - 07:09 PM.

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts

Chillin are you making money every time someone buys plasma in a GW store?

:) I like the 2 shots, maybe cause I miss alot :angry:

But it's not like I don't use meltas, in a typical army I would have 2 squads of csm's w/ melta/flamer. I just like PM with plaz b/c it doesn't matter as much if they get charged after they rapid fire b/c of their T5, fnp, and blight grenades

Edited by chillin, 08 April 2009 - 09:48 PM.

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts

Drive-by 6 plasma shots in the last game proved very effective.

if someone lets you do drive by then he did something very wrong at the list creation .
I mean with the number of attack bikes/drop pods with melta in many forms[ironclads/sternguard] deep striking chaos terminators +the good old fire dragons and 5th ed being about mulit shot weapons for many armies , am having huge problems with seeing rhinos survive for a very long time . But maybe thats just me.

Latro_

Latro_

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts
Well he had alot of fists about, It was safer just to stay in there. If they blew the rhino up meh, its not likely to hurt the PM's inside and he cant assault me unless he planned it to perfection with other units. Sitting there firing out plasma shots aplenty worked rather well in that game.

anyhoo new list any better ya'll think?

nurglez

nurglez

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,701 posts
Yet another list that looks rather similar to mine.... Though i dont have the 4 oblitorators,the 3 champs (i have 2), or that spare rhino, but i do have an extra PM squad and a vindicator....

Single landraider works for me, but i only play vs chaos/nids/orks/daemons, seems to have its good days and its bad days.

I would say, play with what you play, i pefer combi weapons on my champs too, my tanks generally get shot at, meaning shaken stunned if not immobolised or destroyed.

I have to agree with DemetriiTZ about plasma, and to add, they force you to make the choice between shooting and charging, or shooting, then being shot then being charged, I fear ordanance with my PM, and the safest place for them is generally in combat, Also, against small squads, firing more ap2 weaponry might not be as useful as it used to be, due to the new wound allocation system.