Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1500 Tournament list

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

Max Power

Max Power

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 148 posts
Hello!

I'll be going to a tournament in May, and I'm trying to decide between this army and my Blood Angels. I've play tested a bunch of different builds, and I can safely say I have absolutely no desire to play lash or nurgle heavy lists, so please keep that in mind when suggesting changes. I understand that they're competitive, I just don't enjoy it. With that said, I wanted to try some units that the chaos players up here seem to ignore outright, as well as some staple units that will keep my list halfway competitive. The majority of players up here are chaos, orks, and marines.

HQ:

2 Demon Princes - Wings, Mark of Slaanesh, Warptime - 320

Troops:

10 Khorne Berserkers with personal icon, Champion, powerfist, rhino - 290

2 x 9 Thousand Sons Marines with Sorcerer, meltabombs, doombolt, rhino - 294

Heavy Support:

2 Obliterators - 150

1 Obliterator - 75

1 Obliterator - 75

I split up the oblits like that so they could choose different targets, and split the enemy's fire. Let me know what you guys think of the list.

Edited by Max Power, 08 April 2009 - 05:55 PM.

Kids, there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!

Isn't that the wrong way?

Yeah, but faster!

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts
Ughh, your army is all over the place. There is a big difference between a good balance and no focus, you are on the no focus side of the fence right now.
I wouldn't go with 2 expensive HQ's at 1500, but if that's what you want, fine.
but your troops need to complament your HQ and each other.
3 cult different troops in same army is never good
Can't say I understand that NM build, it's no different then a csm squad w/ IoS but a whole lot more pts.
The rest of the army is pretty much geared for hth, so that T'sons unit seems rather out of place.
What kinda army do you want to play ?

minigun762

minigun762

++ PHYSICUS DEMENTER ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 9,981 posts

2 Demon Princes - Wings, Mark of Nurgle, Warptime - 350

Nurgle Daemon Princes are good.
2 Daemon Princes are good.
2 Nurgle Daemon Princes in 1500 point games are too expensive.
I'd either go with 2 Naked Daemon Princes or 1 Nurgle Daemon Prince. Either way should save you a fair amount of points.

10 Khorne Berserkers with Champion, powerfist, rhino - 285

9 Thousand Sons Marines with Sorcerer, meltabombs, doombolt, rhino - 294

9 Noise Marines with Champion, powerfist, doom siren, rhino - 270

Berserkers and Thousand Sons look good to me. Rapid fire with the Thousand Sons then charge the remainder with the Berserkers. However the Noise Marines seem kinda lacking. I will fully admit that Jeske's opinion on HtH Noise Marines is starting to make alot more sense. They're alot more expensive for what you get then basic CSMs or Beserkers. I would consider replacing the Noise Marines with a 10 man CSM squad with Melta/Flamer and Power Fist Champion. Squad will run you 240 points with a Rhino so you still have points available if you wanna mark them.

2 Obliterators - 150

1 Obliterator - 75

1 Obliterator - 75

All good choices, but if you took my advice, you'll have enought points left over to either buy 2 more Obliterators (if you took 1 Daemon Prince) or a Dakka Predator (if you took 2).
Posted Image

Zhukov

Zhukov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,363 posts
I maybe disagree with the guys above me about the 2x Hq.
I use exact the same hq's in 1500, sometimes even in 1000. They beat everything apart.
But maybe in this build its a bit different because you dont use plague marines. Hmm, not decided on this one.

Agree on the rest with the guys above me.

I'm open to messages if you want help or advice from me.

You can ask me anything.

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts
yeah more or less whats other said . I think this list went wrong after a lot of testing. It happens when you have to have to count up all the data from testing . But there are two basic rules when making a list , not only a tournament one . First is and the most important you spam stuff. Spaming is all important because it lets you overload the counter ablities of your opponent armies . He can kill a DP or two , he can kill unit of zerkers , but he want kill 2DPs and 3 units of zerkers [at least not if they reach hth] .

the second rule is not less important is pick a build type and stick to it . You want a shoty army? make it shoty . You want a hth army make it as hth as it gets.
You know you dont want pms and lash . Cool . this means you dont want to play a short range counter list . What builds are left there out of the chaos dex. the LR rush build . 2 land raiders 1 hq 2 squads in land raiders 1 in rhino . best set up 2 zerkers 1 pms or csm.
the NM water warrior build . but it really doesnt work without lash .
a chaos zilla list 2 minimal scoring units 2 dps 2 defilers 2 dreads[at 1500 pts].

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

Max Power

Max Power

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 148 posts
Thanks for the input guys. I'm new to chaos, so I tend to see these cult troops and lose my mind a little bit. I agree that the Noise Marines aren't worth it, I paid a lot of points for a doom siren essentially. I'm thinking about replacing that squad with another squad of thousand sons, and dropping mark of nurgle in favor of mark of slaanesh on the princes. I play against a lot of MEQs, so they might benefit me more in the end. The berserkers and princes should be very able to mop up whatever the thousand sons shot up. I know they're really expensive, as are the demon princes, but that's what gives this army a different feel from my regular marines.

Edited by Max Power, 08 April 2009 - 05:59 PM.

Kids, there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!

Yeah, but faster!

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts
I dont know how much testing you did and against what kind of armies[you say you play against a lot of meq , but what sort of meq . GK?] , but generally with cover everywhere and bolters at str4 and bs at 4 the 1k sons have real big trouble in as you say it "shot up" things.
am giving this warning only because this is suppose to be a tournament army.

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

Max Power

Max Power

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 148 posts
The vast majority of MEQs are either mechanized or drop podding, while cover will be an issue occasionally, the thousand sons will have plenty of unprotected bodies in the open. It's just a matter of me being the one to break open the other player's transports before they break open mine.

Yeah, but faster!

minigun762

minigun762

++ PHYSICUS DEMENTER ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 9,981 posts

What builds are left there out of the chaos dex. the LR rush build . 2 land raiders 1 hq 2 squads in land raiders 1 in rhino . best set up 2 zerkers 1 pms or csm.
the NM water warrior build . but it really doesnt work without lash .
a chaos zilla list 2 minimal scoring units 2 dps 2 defilers 2 dreads[at 1500 pts].

This is a sidenote to the original post, but what do you think of the CSM spam lists Jeske?
Lots of Rhinos, CSMs with specials, backed up by Terminators or Special Weapons Havocks?
You talk about spamming and the idea here is to spam MEQ models with alot of firepower in short range.
Posted Image

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts

This is a sidenote to the original post, but what do you think of the CSM spam lists Jeske?
Lots of Rhinos, CSMs with specials, backed up by Terminators or Special Weapons Havocks?

That's pretty much what I do, spam CSM's. I figure they are one of the most versitle and cost effective units in the game, so why not spam them ?
Not until 1600+ do I even add a cult unit, and then the cult unit becomes my hammer and the units of csm's become my anvil (a mobile one at that).
I don't claim to be a power gamer, but I have a pretty good win-lose record against all comers.

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts

You talk about spamming and the idea here is to spam MEQ models with alot of firepower in short range.

well if you take the standart 2xpms 2xzerkers 2x3 termis 2x2 oblits chaos army and switch it for 4xcsm 2x2 oblits I think you have enough pts to run a 2x4 termi set up . It has more or less the same gameplay only more combis on termis and thats it .

Max Power

Max Power

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 148 posts
I play tested this list yesterday against another competitive chaos player and got a win. The list overall performed very well, with the all stars being my demon princes, they pretty much won the game for me. The thousand sons were a nice addition, but having two squads of them seems like its too much, especially when they get assaulted. I'm thinking of dropping one of the squads and taking a 10 man csm squad with 2 meltas, icon of slaanesh, champ with fist, and a rhino. Alternatively, I could cave and take some plague marines. I'm pleased with the results.

Yeah, but faster!

minigun762

minigun762

++ PHYSICUS DEMENTER ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 9,981 posts

The thousand sons were a nice addition, but having two squads of them seems like its too much, especially when they get assaulted. I'm thinking of dropping one of the squads and taking a 10 man csm squad with 2 meltas, icon of slaanesh, champ with fist, and a rhino.

I think thats a smart idea. However I'd either go with Icon of Chaos Glory or Khorne and the Power Fist or Slaanesh and a Power Weapon.
The latter is probably the better choice though.
Posted Image