Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1,000 pt. Nurglesque list

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

Caelus the Plague-Herald

Caelus the Plague-Herald

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9 posts
Hi, I'm a relative newcomer to the forum, and I notice how welcoming and non-flamey it is. But I joined because I have a problem. I have a friend, my only friend who plays 40k. And I cannot beat him. Ever. This may not sound frustrating at first, but since he is the only one I play it starts to get on my very very LAST nerve. I originally played Orks before I knew what he played, which, much to my dismay, was Tau. I tried my very hardest to beat him and his thrice-damned Tau, but unfortunately I was new and didn't have much in the areas of strategic expertise or models. I now have plenty of the latter, but very little of the former. Now to bring my long ramble back into the era of advice, I recently started playing a Plague Marine army around the same time he started playing Space Marines. So now I've come here with my current list, beseeching you for advice without trying to sound bitchy or whiny (and failing).

HQ
Chaos Lord
Terminator Armor, Mark of Nurgle, Lightning Claws

Elites
4 Terminators
Mark of Nurgle, 3 Power Fists, Heavy Flamer

Troops
5 Plague Marines
Champion w/ Power Fist, Plasma Gun
Transport: Rhino w/ Extra Armor

5 Plague Marines

Heavy Support
Land Raider (Chaos Lord and Terminators go in here)

The basic strategy: Start behind cover, plague marine squads ride out toward objectives, pop smoke launchers first turn. Plague Marines sit on objectives closer to my side of the board, while the Land Raider goes out to deliver termies+lord into CC, using Lascannon sponsons to deal with any armor.

I appreciate comments/ constructive criticism. Thanks!

Oh, and if Nurgle already has a Plague-Herald I can change the title :P

Zhukov

Zhukov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,363 posts
Its quite simple, with this kinda army you'll never win against an experienced Tau player, thats because he negates all your 'pros': Railguns/fusion blasters beat your land raider. Plasmarifles destroys your troops without a problem.

I say for 1000 points:

dont use a land raider, its too much of your points.
Dont use termies either, at least not with this expensive setup. Never give them Icon of Nurgle, not worth it.

Buy more troops, maybe some Obliterators depending on how fluffy player your are.
3 man termi units w/ combimeltas work great against Tau, they instakill Battlesuits and take out their tanks/Broadsides.
Deamon prince is always a solid choice even against Tau.

Against Marines Deamon princes, plague marines in rhinos, Olbiterators work great.

Hope this helps you a bit, I can give further comments if you make another list.

I'm open to messages if you want help or advice from me.

You can ask me anything.

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts

HQ
Chaos Lord
Terminator Armor, Mark of Nurgle, Lightning Claws

bad . its slow it costs a lot of pts , its nurgle and with LC :) . either wings and a demon weapon or wings a icon of khorn if LC.

Elites
4 Terminators
Mark of Nurgle, 3 Power Fists, Heavy Flamer

bad and wasted pts . First of all you never use IoN , ever. it costs tons of pts and in case of terminators helps them against small weapon fire, something they good anyway[+they are in a LR] . you also try to make them hth .... only termis [the chaos ones] are not ment to be hth units . they are shoty meta choices . one uses 2x3 or 2x4 with combi meltas and no icons or fists.

Troops
5 Plague Marines

too small squads , pms are minimum 7 man . extra armor is wasted pts , as you shouldnt be in them from turn 2+ and they should be blocking LoS etc also against tau it doesnt help much at all as they will just go puff anyway . both squads need a second special . plasma are so cool in the 5th ed.a flamer if it gets to shot does the same number of deaths on meq as a plasma gun +it does much more kills against non meqs. meltas are the weapon of choice for anti tank. that of course doesnt mean you should stop using plasmas , but remember that the two other options are cheaper .

Heavy Support
Land Raider (Chaos Lord and Terminators go in here)

total waste of pts specially in a such a small pts game . No good build army should have problems with stoping a single LR [specially one like tau or eldar] . Want to use a LR in your army , build a rush list. as the anti tank goes . well our LR cant move and shot like the loyalist ones and 200+pts lascanons arent very good , specially if they stop to work when stuned [and as hq+termi+LR is half your army they will get shot at a lot].

Army is bad, but that isnt that hard to do with chaos at 1k pts . Now on to the what to do .
First of all more troops . 3 squad in rhinos . no LR no termis . simple winged HQ and thats it . Also a word of advice , dont play a lot of games at 1k pts , most armies are highly unbalanced at this points and some match ups vs some match ups will always end the same . For example an ork biker list had an almost 90% win ratio at 1k pts durning test games at least for my game group .

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts
Termi lord too slow, use lord w/ wings. Also nurgle D. weop is probably one of the best weops in the game, use it.
Don't use termi's at 1k, eats up too many of your pts. esp w IoN, that adds 10 pts per guy in a squad of 4..not worth it.
Use the pts from the termi's to get your PM units up to 7 or 8 each w/ 2 plaz each, maybe add flamers to one squad and have a fish fry.
I think EA on rino's is worth it but at 1k every pt counts, so maybe try w/out it, and add it back at higher pt games.
I've had mixed results with LR against tau. Even the railgun needs a 5 to penetrate, I've had it shrug off railgun shots and run right up the tau's face, and I've had it blow up bretty quick, it really depends on how many RG's he has. At 1k it's a huge chunck of your pts. maybe it's worth it maybe not. I assume being a new player you don't have alot of models to sub in anyway., So maybe try using it with the rino's behind, don't forget LR's have smoke.

Don't let the tau player alway force you to play on a big empty board, that's to his advantage, use random terrain generation.
Start playing larger games when you get more models, chaos is at a disadvangage at 1k.
Read chaos lords handbook and asp champs handbook in the GRAVIS section of this forum, for advice on tactics and such.
hope this helps.

Caelus the Plague-Herald

Caelus the Plague-Herald

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9 posts
uh, sorry i didn't clarify this,
i'm playing against his marines, not tau. but i see what you're getting at.

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts

I've had mixed results with LR against tau. Even the railgun needs a 5 to penetrate, I've had it shrug off railgun shots and run right up the tau's face, and I've had it blow up bretty quick, it really depends on how many RG's he has.

I would be more worried about those small manta with "meltas" or deep striking suits with meltas[they dont offten do it , but against a list like that why not?]

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

Caelus the Plague-Herald

Caelus the Plague-Herald

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Okay taking all that into account, here's a revised list

HQ
Lord
Mark of Nurgle, Daemon Weapon, Wings

Troops

7 Plague Marines
Plague Champion, Power Fist
2 Plasma Guns
Rhino

7 Plague Marines
2 Plasma Guns
Rhino

7 Plague Marines
2 Plasma Guns
Rhino

Total: 968, so 32 points left. Maybe another marine in one of the squads? As always, any help is appreciated.
Oh, and being a very fluffy player I like marks of nurgle on squads with that option, but it won't kill me if they don't have a mark.

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts
I would consider xtra armor for 2 of the rinos, or another PM and a combimelta for lord, or combimelta for lord and xtra TL'ed bolters on rinos for alittle xtra dakka.
List much better :)

Zerib

Zerib

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 55 posts
I can maybe understand one squad of plasmas but not all 3, that will free up more points for you. As well you need some anti tank as if someone rolls out anything above AV 13 you are gana have a hell of a time killing it. As well your lord is going to be jumping around with his wings all on his own and may be vary vulnerable.

Caelus the Plague-Herald

Caelus the Plague-Herald

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9 posts
Okay, one more revision

HQ
Lord
Mark of Nurgle, Daemon Weapon, Wings, Combi-Melta

Troops

7 Plague Marines
2 Plasma Guns
Rhino w/ Extra Armor

7 Plague Marines
2 Plasma Guns
Rhino

7 Plague Marines
2 Meltaguns
Rhino w/ Extra Armor

Thanks for the advice all, I'll be playing his salamanders soon.

If anyone has any advice as far as expanding the list, what to get and what not to get for 1500, 2000 point games etc. it's always appreciated.

DemetriiTZ

DemetriiTZ

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 542 posts
I recommend one squad switch both Plasma guns for a pair of melta guns, so you can blow up Land Raiders reliably. T5 and Feel No Pain is hard enough to deal with anti-horde, so no worries there. Let the Lord ride with the melta folks. Everything else is quite solid for a 1,000 point army.

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts

As well your lord is going to be jumping around with his wings all on his own and may be vary vulnerable.

Lord doesn't jump around by himself, he jumps from friendly squad to friendly squad where he is needed or can do the most damage, so he can't be pick out for shooting or charged all own his own.

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts
Oops, double post. :)

Edited by chillin, 11 April 2009 - 11:57 PM.

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts

If anyone has any advice as far as expanding the list, what to get and what not to get for 1500, 2000 point games etc. it's always appreciated.

I like this list, it's solid.
As for expanding to 1500, I would get some hvy support. I always thought vindis were very DG. Some oblits would look kool all nurgled up.
Maybe a termicide squad. Can't go wrong with more PM squads.

Caelus the Plague-Herald

Caelus the Plague-Herald

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9 posts
alright, sounds good to me. i'm sure grand-daddy nurgle could cook up an "obliterator plague" ;)

nurglez

nurglez

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,701 posts
Vidicators are lovely against marines, everyone knows how much it sucks to lose a squad to ordanance, and no one feels it more then us marines.

Also, a LR at 1500 points is a bit better, though, depending what you regularly play against, this can either work, or suck.

I think that the nurgle icon for squads is a bit too costly, and dislike using anything like that in my armies. (though i just really hate the idea of icons to bless a unit, let us buy them marks again!)