Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

500 vs TAU

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

bimpi

bimpi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts
Hi,
could you help me with creating my army against tau empire?
maybe some advise or simple lists...
I was thinking about CSM, berzerkers and daemon prince with lash and wings...

Xowar13

Xowar13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 36 posts
doing the daemon prince is not too bad but since he is a monsterous creature he can get single targeted quite easy. but at 500 points with chaos you have a limited amount of things you can do with your army.

I suggest

HQ - Chaos Lord, Mark of Khorne, Pair of lightning claws, melta bombs - 135

Troop
7 khorne berzerkers w/ Rhino - 182
7 khorne berzerkers w/ Rhino - 182

Total- 499

The only thing you can do against tau is get to them. Once you get to them you slice through fire warriors like butter. But for a better opinion Minigun is always good at making really good list.
*~*He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.*~*

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts
At 500 pts your pretty much looking at a couple of units of csm's in rino's, with no HQ.
You are really not gonna be on even par with tau until 1500 pts or so.

Brother Gothard

Brother Gothard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,917 posts
Aye. I have been working on <1000 pt lists lately, for both C:CSM and C:SM. I have also noted that under the combat patrol rules, C:CSM is really limited. Heck, even without those rules, C:CSM has fewer options that pretty much any other codex.

Against Tau, I would probably go with a Flighted Daemon Prince (maybe mark of nurgle) and then as many CSM as possible.

Prince: Flight (130)

5 Marines: Plasmagun (90)
5 Marines: Plasmagun (90)
10 Marines: Flamer (155)
Rhino (35)

Or something like:

10 Marines: 2x Flamer (160)
Rhino: Extra twin-linked bolter (40)
10 Marines: 2x Flamer (160)
Rhino (35)
6 Marines: Plasmagun (105)

Hard to say what those lists might do against Tau, or even against Xowar's list above.

Basically I say spam CSMs and hope for the best?
"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking and racing to come up behind you again"

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts

Basically I say spam CSMs and hope for the best?

IMO you really can't go far wrong spamming one of the best and most versitle troops in the game.

Brother Gothard

Brother Gothard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,917 posts
Maybe not. But I do wonder what the point is in spamming a unit that is worse at range than a cheaper Tau unit.

I mean ... until 24" the space marine unit is ineffective against Tau. Granted, the Tau advantage becomes a disadvantage at 24" and then 12" even more so. Both wound on 3s, yet the Space Marines have better saves. But volume of fire will probably tell against the Marines, as the Tau are cheaper.

Would it not be better to spam something that the Tau will have serious trouble defeating? Two flighted Lords and 2x5 CSM is only 370 pts. What can we do in C:CSM with 130 pts?
"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking and racing to come up behind you again"

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts

Maybe not. But I do wonder what the point is in spamming a unit that is worse at range than a cheaper Tau unit.

I mean ... until 24" the space marine unit is ineffective against Tau. Granted, the Tau advantage becomes a disadvantage at 24" and then 12" even more so.

Of course the csm's are worse then tau at range, tau are a shooty army. The tau start dying when csm's are rapid firing and once in hth tau are pretty much punching bags for csm's. that's why squads of csm's in rinos.
A flying lord will not make it into hth unless he has a rino to hide behind.

Grey Mage

Grey Mage

++ ARCTOS CAELIFERUM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,665 posts
Gotta be careful though, rhinos vs tau are usually toasted pretty quickly, or atleast unusuable. Since thier basic gun can glance, and in 500 points your looking at 2, maybe 3 squads of 10, or 2 full squads, plus a full squad of suits, and a broadside.... I wouldnt expect rhinos to last more than a couple of minutes.
QUOTE (Wolf Guard Dan @ Dec 28 2009, 06:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When in doubt- Grey Mage.
QUOTE (thade @ Jun 7 2011, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, Hammernators are for pansies. There, I said it.

Xowar13

Xowar13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 36 posts

Gotta be careful though, rhinos vs tau are usually toasted pretty quickly, or atleast unusuable. Since thier basic gun can glance, and in 500 points your looking at 2, maybe 3 squads of 10, or 2 full squads, plus a full squad of suits, and a broadside.... I wouldnt expect rhinos to last more than a couple of minutes.

so walking will do alot then right?

Grey Mage

Grey Mage

++ ARCTOS CAELIFERUM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,665 posts
Its easier to get cover vs Plasma rifles, and to hide inside or behind small buildings and ruins if you are on foot, IMHO.
QUOTE (Wolf Guard Dan @ Dec 28 2009, 06:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When in doubt- Grey Mage.
QUOTE (thade @ Jun 7 2011, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, Hammernators are for pansies. There, I said it.

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts
Hiding doesn't get you int hth with the tau. Using cover and smo "hopefully" the rino will last a turn ot 2, better the eating str 5 weopons the whole way as you walk across the board.

Xowar13

Xowar13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 36 posts

Hiding doesn't get you int hth with the tau. Using cover and smo "hopefully" the rino will last a turn ot 2, better the eating str 5 weopons the whole way as you walk across the board.

Finally someone sees it from my point of view. thanks Chillin.

Zhukov

Zhukov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,363 posts
Obviously you need your troops to be in rhino, there is no need for discussion here either. Really you do not want to walk to the other side of the board, especially not against a shooty army.

I say use Plague marines, especially because the I3 does not hurt much here and it almost renders there basic weaponry usesless.

A flying deamon prince preferable with MoN (so that is harder for plasmarifles and their basic weaponry to hurt you) to go with the rhino plague squads.

Edited by Zhukov, 26 April 2009 - 10:27 AM.

I'm open to messages if you want help or advice from me.

You can ask me anything.