Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How Can I Turn This Rabble of Mini's Into a Tourny List

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

Deffskull

Deffskull

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 27 posts
Hello,

Here is a list of the models I have and what I need to know is what is the best way to form them up into a competetive list for a tourny at the end of next month. Here is what I got:

1 Power Armor Lord
Bolt Pistol
CC Wep (I'm thinking Daemon Wep)

5 Possessed Models with HtH weps and Wings

7 Lesser Daemons

1 Oblit

2 Dreadnoughts
T.L. Heavy Bolter
T.L. Lascannon
Havoc Missle Launcher

6 HtH CSM
Asp Champ w/Power Fist

3 Bikes
Plasma Gun
Asp Champ
Power Wep

25 Bolter CSM
1 Lascannon
1 Heavy Bolter
3 Plasma Guns
2 Asp Champ
2 Power Fists

I am in need of some serious help here, so I open the floor to the great minds of the forum. I am willing to go Undivided or any of the 4 chaos powers.

Thanks

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts
impossible.

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

Zhukov

Zhukov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,363 posts
yeah I'm sorry to say but this is really too hard. Even if I really tried this one wont succeed. You need rhinos, more Oblits, more csm with special weapons etc.

Edited by Zhukov, 26 April 2009 - 09:39 AM.

I'm open to messages if you want help or advice from me.

You can ask me anything.

davross

davross

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 22 posts
I'd say difficult, but not impossible. To get a truely competative list you will need a few more bits, but you can make a good showing with this, provided you're not silly in how you use it. It will be very much middle of the pack though.

Could you have any of the following ready by the end of the month?
1. 1 - 3 Rhinos, preferably the full 3. Possibly 2 and a Land Raider if you have the cash.
2. 2 CSMs with meltaguns and 1 with a plasma rifle.
3. 2 - 5 Obilterators
4. 2 or 3 bikers, preferably 1 standard and 2 with meltaguns.

If you can get any of that I'll give you some suggestions. If not, no worries as I still have some alternatives, but as I say, the true tournie gamers out there will be problematic to say the least.

Deffskull

Deffskull

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 27 posts
@Davross
As it stands I can't get the rhinos, I'm trying but I'm not willing to bet on it.

I can have the 3 bikes total with the one melta, and I can have 2 oblits. I have a bunch of plasma rifles but no meltas. I also found a 5 man sqd of termies with power fists and reaper auto cannon.

davross

davross

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 22 posts
Ok, we'll make do. I don't have my codex to hand at the moment, so I'm working off of memory - double check my points values!

You've got 6 marines with hth weapons and 25 with bolters. As under the current codex all CSMs come with bolter, bolt pistol & ccw these are interchangeable. So 31 total. We'll use them to form the backbone off your force.

First, 3 squads of marines. Two should be 10 strong, with dual plasmas, and power fist champions. Swap the fists for power weapons if you need the points. They should carry an icon for reasons that shall be explained. Tzeentch or Nurgle are preferable for increasing survivability, but basic chaos glory is fine if you need the points. The squads will be:

10 Marines - 150, 2 Plasma guns - 30, Champion - 15, power fist - 25, icon - 10/30/50. So they should be between 230 and 270 each. I'd go for Tzeentch here - you basically have a floating cover save that way. So 250 each, 500 thus far.

The third squad should be 9 strong, with a power fist champion, a melta gun and an icon of Slannesh. It's your assault force, so if you only get one Rhino say, this is the squad that gets it. The melta gun is to help with vehicles, especially walkers, and so you can shoot and charge. If you can't get meltas, don't bother with special weapons here. Power fist, same reason, hence non optional unlike the other two squads. The icon of Slannesh means you're Int 5 - striking before other Marines. I find this more useful than +1 A from Khorne, as any you kill won't be hitting back.

9 Marines - 135, melta gun - 10, Champion - 15, power fist - 25, icon - 20, 205 total.

I'll assume you can get the Rhinos, give them extra armour (daemonic possession is pointless as you won't be shooting), that'll be 50 each so 150 total.

Next your lord. Give him a daemonic weapon, a personal icon if you have the points and melta bombs for vehicles. If you wnt to mark him, I'd go either Nurgle for the toughness and to help with monsterous creatures, wraitlords, etc, or tzeentch for the extra save and shootiness before charging. However, the Str 5 Undivided is more than acceptable. He goes in the assault squad, which is why we limited it to 9.

Lord - 90, daemon weapon - 35, melta bombs - 5, personal icon - 5, 135 total.

You've just spent 850pts to build a nasty assault force. You move up on objectives, the plasma squads rapid fire away and then the lord and assault squad jump on what's left. The plasma squads can follow in if necessary as they have bolt pistol and ccw as well. Problem is you have to run, which is slower and not as safe as a Rhino. So we'll say 1000pts with ride.

Now as to why you got those icons. They're going to let you deep strike things with impunity. First stop is 3 Obliterators. Take these as units of 1, as they're harder to kill and can engage more targets if you do so. You won't be needing the Heavy Support slots after all. Remember, you don't have to deep strike any of them - make a judgement call according to what you're facing before each game. They're job is to hit vehicles, particularly walkers, and terminators as both can give you a bad day.

3 Obilterators - 210

Also, lesser daemons. These are as good as Marines in an assault, and as they count as a Troops choice, they're a scoring unit. I know a guy who jumped for joy when 5th ed came out - his Word Bearers now objective swarm with multiple small squads of daemons. We'll take all 7 of yours.

7 lesser daemons - 105

You've now spent 1305pts. You've got a rather a nasty attack force, hopefully mounted, some reserves in the daemons and spreaders of havoc and chaos in your Obilterators. I'd spend the remaining 195pts on something to hold your objectives. You've used all your champions and plasma rifles, and I'm guessing done a weapon swap on two bolters to get the 4th plasma and the melta gun. You've also used 21 of your regular marines.

You should have 8 CSMs left. Chuck in the guy with the lascannon. Add a possessed to act as a 'champion' so you have a full 10 and can take the lascannon.

10 Marines - 150, lascannon - 25, champion - 15, 190 total.

Thats 1495 that should do better. If you can't get the Rhinos, pop the bikers in with a melta gun to have that bit of mobility - giv them an icon of something for the deep strike. Have a play around with the list until you're happy - by which I mean test games as well as reading it through.

Brother Gothard

Brother Gothard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,917 posts
Just to add: you can use your bitz box and some imagination to convert those Terminators you found into Obliterators with not a lot of effort, and it will save you $$$
"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking and racing to come up behind you again"

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts
davors that list that your propose is going to be really really weak. static fire power , 3 oblits in different units giving up 1 kill point each , an isolated hth unit[ah and check how many meqs do you actually kill on charge and what happens if you run in to something different then tactical sm ] .

If 5 fist termis are there , then there is nothing stoping you from chopping them up taking the extra plasma guns and making 3/4 nice oblits . this way he will at least get something that can carry the list till he gets better stuff[rhinos for squads etc] . also IoT sucks hard considering cover is everywhere and its way better then +5 and in hth most deaths come from regular attacks[so again ignoring the IoT that you paid points for] now IoK or IoCU for example actually does something . Best option would be change the squads to pms[and with counts as it means you point at them and say "those are pms"] double specials on each unit 10 man strong. 2 HQs[that can be any asp champion/lord etc] make both sorc with lash.

dont bother with bikes or lesser demons , if there are any "csm" left and points take a 5 man chosen squad with a lascanon[or make it a counts as NM unit 5 man and the lascanon turns in to a blast master]. this wouldnt be really good , but at least it would be carried by lash and oblits

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

davross

davross

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 22 posts
You'll note that I assumed he'll have Rhinos in the points, so not sure what you mean about static firepower Jeste. As for the mark of Tzeentch and single unit obliterators, meh, personal preference.

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,518 posts

As it stands I can't get the rhinos, I'm trying but I'm not willing to bet on it.

read his posts after the first one.

As for the mark of Tzeentch and single unit obliterators, meh, personal preference.

its not personal preference when you give up 3 times as much kill points in 1/3 of games . Also its not a personal preference thing when it comes to 5th ed cover rules or the resolution and hth in 5th ed and what and how units actually do dmg in hth . you no longer have harlis or mass genestealers armies[at least not on the top tables] with old rending where having an Inv save could have helped .

Deffskull

Deffskull

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 27 posts
Thanks everyone for your help. I have a possible hit on getting 3 rhinos and I have decided to convert my bolters into sonic blasters so I will be going with noise marines. I also uncovered my Daemon Prince so happy days are here again. I also converted another oblit so I have 3 now. I will be posting my Slaanesh List in a new topic. Thanks again for everyones help.