Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1100 Chaos Army List

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

Retalitus

Retalitus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 114 posts
Hi folks, new to the forum and 40k in general, and hoping to get some advice from you seasoned experts out there!

I'm putting together a 1100 point Chaos Space Marine army, trying something a little different to the last few games I've played. I've been in the position the last several games where my beloved Land Raider generally gets taken out within the first 2 turns, quickly followed by any Defilers / Predators I've chosen to play! Certainly a case of poor tactics on my part, but I'm hoping this week to field something my fellow players may not be expecting... so, here's the list:

HQ: 1 Chaos Lord
Terminator armour, Lightning Claws (pair); Mark of Tzeentch
3 Terminators
Combi-melta (x3); Mark of Tzeentch
1 Terminator Champion
Combi-melta (x1); Mark of Tzeentch
Total - 330 Pts

HQ: Daemon Prince - 175 Pts
Wings; Mark of Nurgle; Warptime

Troops: Chaos Space Marines - 210 Pts
9 Chaos Space Marines
Meltagun (x1);
1 Aspiring Champion
1 Rhino

Troops: Chaos Space Marines - 210 Pts
9 Chaos Space Marines
Meltagun (x1);
1 Aspiring Champion
1 Rhino

Heavy: Obliterator - 75 Pts

Summoned Greater Daemon - 100 Pts

Total Cost: 1100

I'm intending to deepstrike the Terminators/Chaos Lord, but have the Obliterator on the board from the start, primarily using lascannon at distance to take out whatever armoured threats are on the board. Demon Prince and the two squads will be moving forward to engage the enemy or capture objectives, as the mission I get dictates...

I'm going up against 3 other players (Space Marines, Eldar and Tau) in a random objective multiplayer game. I'm not necessarily too focused on winning the game, but more about having fun playing (and hopefully not having half my points wiped out before they even fire!).

Any advice / comments you folks have would be gratefully received!

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts
Not a bad list I guess. That termi squad will be easy to counter/ignor/avoid.
I would loose either the GD or the DP

Retalitus

Retalitus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 114 posts
Thanks! What do you think I should swap in for the GD? Another Obliterator? I do enjoy playing the Winged Demon Prince - he had a field day tearing apart Tau a few weeks ago!

I haven't had much luck making my Terminators truly useful in previous games... unfortunately, they're usually in my land raider when it goes boom in the first turn, or they spend half the game wandering across the board looking for something to fight. I thought deepstriking them might allow me to get them stuck in a bit more... any thoughts? Should i replace them with something else?

Also, are the Melta's truly useful in my CSM squads? Really hoping to make more of an impression at Thursday night's game!

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts

What do you think I should swap in for the GD? Another Obliterator? I do enjoy playing the Winged Demon Prince

I haven't had much luck making my Terminators truly useful in previous games... unfortunately, they're usually in my land raider when it goes boom in the first turn, or they spend half the game wandering across the board looking for something to fight. I thought deepstriking them might allow me to get them stuck in a bit more... any thoughts? Should i replace them with something else?

Also, are the Melta's truly useful in my CSM squads?

Yea, oblits are best in pairs.
LR's are also best used in pairs and too expensive for 1100 pt games. If they DS they can't move or attack and have to stand there getting shot and/or charged for a turn. So, no, I don't think that would help. Yes, I would replace them, except for maybe a 3 man termicide squad w/ combimeltas, definarely lose the termilord (1 HQ at 1600 or less).

If you don't like meltas, try plaz. Are your squads 9 total or 10 total ? They should be 10 total with 2 special weops.

JamesI

JamesI

++ OBITUS CAELESTIE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 14,137 posts
I'd drop the GD for another Oblit.
Cut Icon of Tzeentch from the Terminators, way too expensive for 4 guys.

Use the points to put Icon of Chaos Glory and a second special weapon into each regular marine squad. Also, get powerfists into the marine squads.

gallery_26_4045_8286.gif

Retalitus

Retalitus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 114 posts
Both squads are x9 Chaos Space Marines (one with a Melta) and an Aspiring Champion, both in a Rhino. As most of the games I play are multiplayer (against Tau, Space Marines and Eldar), I've struggled so far to find the best combination for them... Will definitely add a power fist to the AC, but what other special weapon would you folks recommend?

I think I'm gonna drop the terminator squad... in my previous games, I've found my army to be very static, with a tendency to not get very far out into the board while my opponents swoop across the board (seem to be up against Eldar Jetbikes and Marine bikers a lot recently)... so how about some Raptors, to support the winged DP?

Taking the advice so far, here's the revised 1100 point force I've put together:

HQ: Daemon Prince (175 Pts)
Wings; Mark of Nurgle; Warptime

Troops: Chaos Space Marines (255 Pts)
9 Chaos Space Marines
Meltagun (x2); Icon of Chaos Glory
1 Aspiring Champion with Power Fist
1 Rhino

Troops: Chaos Space Marines (255 Pts)
9 Chaos Space Marines
Meltagun (x2); Icon of Chaos Glory
1 Aspiring Champion with Power Fist
1 Rhino

Fast Attack: Raptors (265 Pts)
9 Raptors
Flamer (x1); Meltagun (x1); Icon of Chaos Glory
1 Aspiring Champion
Power Fist

Heavy Support: Obliterators x2 (150 Pts)

Total Cost: 1100

So, better? If I play an army like this, are there any particular tactics I need to be operating on the board? Have I made the right decision putting in a squad of Raptors, or would I have been better placed with more heavy support options? The Tau army has been pretty consistent for the last few games - at least 2 Hammerheads, 2 Devilfish, and battlesuits... as for the Eldar and Loyalist Marines, could be anything!

chillin

chillin

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,574 posts

, I've struggled so far to find the best combination for them...

I like melta & flamer or 2 plaz in each squad.
I don't know about raptors in 1100 pts. I would just use another csm squad.

tastytaste

tastytaste

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 185 posts
If you are set on using Raptors just make sure you screen them well with the Rhinos and use them for a counter charge.

Bonham1963

Bonham1963

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 168 posts
Your second list is much better at the points you'll be fielding. Have your raptors and DP travelling near each other. Rhinos moving 12" every turn possible. Raptors and DP same pace. Keep your forces together, as much as possible. Oblits are going to be slow too keep up with the rest, so DS maybe an option for them.

Retalitus

Retalitus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 114 posts
I wouldn't say I'm necessarily set on using the Raptors - however, I'm unsure about what to field in their place if I choose not to go for them... the majority of heavy armoured support I field (be it a Land Raider, Predator or Defiler) is always target number one, and rarely seems to make its presence felt on the board. Do you think this list will leave me a little too weak if my opponents field tank-heavy armies, or will the meltas in my squads compensate for this? Would a Dreadnought be a worthwhile addition, in place of the Raptors perhaps?

Zhukov

Zhukov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,363 posts
I'm not really keen on raptor squads, they most of the time dont add too much except extra mobility, but they are non scoring.

Dont take dreads instead of them though, that would be bad.

I would rather see a second prince and another Obliterator or better a second prince and 1 termicide squad! That would make your list tourney worth.

I'm open to messages if you want help or advice from me.

You can ask me anything.

Retalitus

Retalitus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 114 posts
Forgive my ignorance, but a termicide squad is x3 termies with combi-meltas, right? I assume these are best used to deepstrike in and take out vehicles?

I really like the idea of a second DP, and if backed up with another Obliterator, it would easily fit the 1100 points tally. Should I put the Obliterators into one squad, or split them up to give a bit more versatility?

Just learnt I'm up against SM Scout Snipers... not looking forward to them on the table!

JamesI

JamesI

++ OBITUS CAELESTIE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 14,137 posts
If scout snipers are the enemy, consider deepstriking termis with heavy flamers.

gallery_26_4045_8286.gif

Retalitus

Retalitus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 114 posts

If scout snipers are the enemy, consider deepstriking termis with heavy flamers.

Scout snipers are only gonna be part of the SM army on the board, but they've given me a lot of bother in the past, mainly getting glancing hits on my rhinos,which really annoys me! Still, at least I have it on good authority that there won't be any drop-pods this week... I think with Tau on the board, I'd be more comfortable having the termis with combi-meltas, but as usual I'm racked with indecision! Think I'm gonna go with another DP, same setup (Wings, Mark of Nurgle, Warptime) as the one I already have, and another Obliterator... thinking one squad of x2, and a lone one, to give me more versatility.

How best are the DPs used in this list? Should I be moving them up at the same speed as my rhinos, or risking sending them forward and getting 'em into H2H ASAP?

Don't think there's gonna be a great deal of cover on the board this evening for vehicles either, so gotta remember to use the smoke launchers...

Zhukov

Zhukov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,363 posts
I ussualy rush my 2 nurgle princes in 1k. Most enemies arent capable of dealing with them in time anyway. But if you think they will die really quick you can send them after your rhinos for a 4+ cover save. 2 + 1 Oblits works fine, it goes against my symetrical feeling however haha.

You can also take this:

2x Nurgle princes, winged 300
2x2 Oblits 300
2x csm squad, 1x 2 flamers, 1x 2 meltas 500

Because I think you are in need of some anti horde anyway because you have enough Obliterators and 2 princes to deal with heavy threats. This way you got an extra Oblit! Really 2 princes and 4 Oblits mmm delicious. Could table some armies pretty quick!

I'm open to messages if you want help or advice from me.

You can ask me anything.