Tau marines

det

So after my taumarine captain i decided to go for it again, but this time with a razorback...:tu: and this came out:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z179/detted/immagini002-1.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z179/detted/immagini001-1.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z179/detted/immagini003-1.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z179/detted/immagini004-1.jpg

i do like the mix of rounded tau bitz on a blocky marine vehicle...uhm...

FLUFF:

They serve two masters: tau and ordo xenos.

While against most enemies tau and imperium could/would fight together (i'm thinking of the caos, tin'eads, tiranids), the unit/force/detachment would also operate to gain new knowledge on tau in case another war begins.

So they do work with the tau for variuos reasons. One could be to help them versus common enemies so the imperium would have a "covered flank" in the sector, with tau and ultramar being fairly near. The other would be to act as very advanced vanguard in case of war between tau and humans in a future.

They'd be considered heretic by many puritans but some ordo xenos inkuisitors would help them. Some kind of infiltrated tiranid veterans or deathwatch.

C&C on build and fluff welcome!!

:D

Fluffwise I don't see this happening really, SM chapters wouldn't toss away their vehicles to be toyed with in such an heretic manner. Ordo Xenos may be well known for recruiting very doubtful xenos to do their work for them, but I've never heard of them mixing Machine Cult and xeno technology.

Hell, I even doubt that the technologies would work together, and no techmarine or techpriest would ever touch that abomination, they'd prob. attach a melta charge to it instead of fixing it.

If you did this for modelling purposes, just to see how things will look its a whole different story, it's always fun to combine stuff and see how it looks...

I somewhat agree with Muller, but at the same time this is sort of like a variation of the Relictors. Your explanation that these marines have very close ties with 'radical' Ordo Xenos members makes the alliance believable. Just make it clear that the Space Marines have an hidden agenda and that they will turn on their Tau allies in an instant. Anymore info about your chapter?

But regarding the conversion. It looks different, but not in a bad way. Guess will have to wait and see it painted.

Cheers, Messanger

it all started as a modelling thing.

first came 5 space wolves, made from random bitz, then a librarian with a chaos backpack, then the taucaptain, then the razorback.

now i'm working on a techmarine...

i'll post pics of the wolves soon.

The chapter...well, the name is "The Restless". They have no rest since they must follow 3 agendas (tau, xenos and mechanicus) and stay alive due to the many attempts to kill them off.

Probably it will be a crusade-stile force mixing various units instead of a proper chapter. I started to build these just for fun and i use them with my growing ork force in apoc games for the moment, but the more i think of it, the more i like the idea and it's possible i'll eventually build an army around the concept.

Color scheme will probably be like the librarian: skorched brown with regal blue shoulder pads and bitz plus various details either scab red or black more or less.

Then it's all evolving... ^_^

Hell, I even doubt that the technologies would work together, and no techmarine or techpriest would ever touch that abomination, they'd prob. attach a melta charge to it instead of fixing it.

Actually in Dawn of War Dark Crusade you can take a spaceport that they tell you has a guidance/radar/(whataver) system that is a combination of Ad Mech and Air Caste technologies. So if you take that to be true enough, then yeah... this is possible.

This is an interesting take on it. Though I think even my Ordo Xenos would look twice and wonder if this other crusade had become a bit to influenced by a Xenos.

wow...DoW dark crusade...i'll play through it again and see!! :thanks:

now here's the techtaumarine. This is heresy. Combined tau and AdMech technologies... :huh:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z179/detted/immagini001-2.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z179/detted/immagini002-2.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z179/detted/immagini004-2.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z179/detted/immagini005.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z179/detted/immagini006-1.jpg

anyway, he'll be a techmarine with servo harness game wise.

The a-grav "wheelchair" is strange. He kind of misses the lower part of his body completely. Then no problem there, he actually has no digestive sistem or ways to expell undesored substances...he just feed with a plug, an gets rid of any rubbish by mouth...ah, marine power! He does spit acid, and much more!! :o

well...taumarines growing...hehe... :devil:

cheers

det

Fluff-wise my reading of Dark Heresy is that Ordo Xenos is in charge of both killing xenos _and_ acquiring their tech for study/reverse engineering. If your army has had an extended campaign in Tau space they may have been forced to appropriate xenos tech in order to keep fighting. IRL many guerilla forces make use of the same weapons as their enemy.

Also, the SM have experimented with weapons load-out on vehicles in the past, despite the controversy this sparked with the tech-adepts. The fluff on the Predator Annihilator is that it was highly controversial initially to have 2 lascannon instead of autocannon, until closer inspection of the STC revealed that this retrofit had been accounted for at the initial design stage. (Source: Imperial Armour Vol 2)

Likewise the Vindicator and the LR Crusader are based on SM captains ordering their techmarines to refit weapons to meet specific battle conditions, and several hundred years later the AdMech finish their debates and give the thumbs-up.. despite other chapters copying the effective design in the meantime.

IMO your fluff about the Restless could be based on a force of marines operating so far behind enemy lines for so long that they only have access to Tau weapons, and use their omophagea organ to "interrogate" Earth caste engineers about how to use them. Likewise the existance of human auxillaries in Tau space provides for a group of humans with familiarity with Tau tech... traitors to the Imperium that they are.

The AdMech won't be happy, of course, but it depends on how powerful the capter's firends in the inquisition are.

thanx ladz for the help, i'm really beginning to think of making it into a proper force now!! we'll see! ^_^

Fluff-wise my reading of Dark Heresy is that Ordo Xenos is in charge of both killing xenos _and_ acquiring their tech for study/reverse engineering. If your army has had an extended campaign in Tau space they may have been forced to appropriate xenos tech in order to keep fighting. IRL many guerilla forces make use of the same weapons as their enemy.

uhm, nice, but it's not necessary to fight against tau, just in tau space with little to no contact with imperium so no proper repairs. ^_^ Now...what's in tau space to be fought against??

Also, the SM have experimented with weapons load-out on vehicles in the past, despite the controversy this sparked with the tech-adepts. The fluff on the Predator Annihilator is that it was highly controversial initially to have 2 lascannon instead of autocannon, until closer inspection of the STC revealed that this retrofit had been accounted for at the initial design stage. (Source: Imperial Armour Vol 2)

Likewise the Vindicator and the LR Crusader are based on SM captains ordering their techmarines to refit weapons to meet specific battle conditions, and several hundred years later the AdMech finish their debates and give the thumbs-up.. despite other chapters copying the effective design in the meantime.

IMO your fluff about the Restless could be based on a force of marines operating so far behind enemy lines for so long that they only have access to Tau weapons, and use their omophagea organ to "interrogate" Earth caste engineers about how to use them. Likewise the existance of human auxillaries in Tau space provides for a group of humans with familiarity with Tau tech... traitors to the Imperium that they are.

The AdMech won't be happy, of course, but it depends on how powerful the capter's firends in the inquisition are.

true, so it actually could be done. The only problem is that it uses tau bitz, not imperial weapons to create new vehicle loadouts. But since they're in tau space with no supplies it fits methinks.

Must flesh out some background and have a nice powerful and not so puritan contact in the inkuisition/admech...

ha! the techtau is horrendous! very cool Det, looks like the imperiums attempt at a necron destroyer

...wow, yes! true, kind a small version but it's similar!! ;)

The tank is ok but the hover marine is great. Something about him just looks so right. What are the things mounted where the pulse carbines would normally be?

thanx!! the things under should represent the plasma-cutter. the plasma pistol front part didn't fit nicely, so i chopped some lasguns and some carbine parts and made them.

• 1 month later...

quick update: swapped bitz around a bit: had no idea of how to use the ion cannon razorback, so i simply took the cannon off, modified it a bit, swapped the stormbolter for a normal bolter on the tautechmarine. then i converted the rhino into a proppa rhino with all the shiny gubbinz...and here is what i have at the moment:

thunderfire cannon with techmarine:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z179/detted/immagini073.jpg

both the rhino and the techmarine have space wolves items...because i have a squad of five space wolves which count as my command squad. here they are, very pip:

testmarine:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z179/detted/immagini081.jpg

squad:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z179/detted/immagini074.jpg

slowly but it's growing!

cheers

hmmm don't know how to use the Ion cannon... well in the tau book isn't it a Heavy 4 ap 3 gun? in which case could you use it as a Tau version Assault cannon? *is curious* anyway i really like these conversions more so that tau commander, I almost want to make a couple myself.

Maybe not as space marines loyal to the tau but as 'trophies' they have picked up from the Tau. after all old old old edition space marines used to take trophies and even in the last edition space marine codex it stated you needed suitable bits from the 'preferred' enemy to show your army had it. could work here.

anyway, keep it up no matter what anyone says I love to see what a Tauified Land Raider or Predator tank would look like. kudos.

Thanx ladz!!

-ion cannon is an 60" range, S7 AP3 3shots gun...the problem is that it's not TL...so no razorback thing! Anyway, problem solved: it's similar to a thunderfire cannon more or less methinks :)

-BG: uhm, i'm leaning towards the "tau are preferred enemy" rather than "tau-loyal" too...actually all should work for some radical ordo xenos inquisitor...(alongside my blood axe klan orks...:))

-land raider&predator: i was thinking of not using vehicles in this force, but i'll see...a devilfish modified, made bigger and with land raider tracks sounds really cool...a predator with a hammerhead turret and missiles drones on the sides too...

btw...tau have blocky armour and round vehicles, while marines have round armour and blocky vehicles...;)

I salute your efforts to do some "blending" in the somewhat static environment of WH40k. I'll be the first to admit there's not much room for hybridization or cooperation between the various factions, and therefore there are some interesting questions to be raised on this point. However . . .

The idea of Tau allied with Space Marines or *shudder* the noble warriors of the Astartes joining hands with heretic alien filth, fills me with disgust I cannot fully put into words. While I applaud your coverting work (with some misgivings about the floaty marine), I would probably do much wailing of the words "Repent!" and "Purge the Unclean!" were I to see your army in person.

My only question, in this case, is what sort of paint scheme you'll be going for. Will you stick with the clean lines of the Tau, or go for the more rusted and beaten look of Astartes vehicles/power armor?

hehe, i know...but bare with me, i come from orks, and they just loot anything, carnifexes included!! So i thought..."why not blend some other races?" And, i do like it. :P

Then...bg right now they are either working for ordo xenos deep in tau space or with tau (and inquisition obviously) against chaos...and i do use them alongside my mercenary ork band in apoc games...all working for a rahter radical inquisitor...:P

you can see the paint sheme on the test marine 3 posts above: it's skorched brown all over, with shoulder pads and left kneecap regal blue plus some details in chaos black, weapons are boltgun/chaos black.

The right shoulder pad has some bleached bone in it too. Be it skulls or something else.

I brainstorming on a possible upgrading of this bunch of models to a proper list, but i dunno ATM.

I'm stuck with troops: don't want marines as troops, but don't know what kind of minis i could use to represent scouts apart from stock scout models.

I like it!!!!....The idea even crossed my Sons and mines,He collects Tau and I....errrr....Marines!!

Our idea was that my Chapter were fighting some form of enemy and taking a right royal beating...when along come his Tau and help defeat the enemy....Necrons/Chaos/Nids [whoever]. From then on my Marines carried on their armour the colour of the Tau cept in honour of what they did,but they do have an uneasy alliance......uneasy on my side as my Chapter do not want to be seen as traitors.

Its summat we are working on as fluff for our Armies.

:)

• 4 months later...

Waha! Small update: a full marine squad. Of tau stuff it has only the converted weapons, nothing more. :)

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z179/detted/spectralsq1.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z179/detted/spectralsq2.jpg

that rhino up there somewhere will eventually develop into a razorback with assault cannon btw...

Archived