The Chaos Tactica: Iron Warriors

Vilicate

I never leave home with a squad of Oblits. They are useful in just about any situation.

Chosen Termi's are also a really good choice. As Vilicate said Termis 'Don't give up firepower for Close Combat Prowess.'

I haven't tried this yet but maybe a Lieutenant sorcerer with wind of chaos and a chosen termi squad with a sorcerer also with wind of chaos and a champ with ether lance might be a good 2nd line assaulty shooty squad that can chew through anything. It would probably only be good for higher points games though

Upon the request of the mods, my Tactica article lives here now.

++Iron Warriors Tactica++

Fluff:The Iron Warriors are perhaps the finest siege army in the galaxy. They were the Emperor's prize siege force until they broke with the Imperium. The Warriors turned their weapons on their brother Space Marines during the Drop Site Massacre of Istvaan V.

Since the Heresy, the Iron Warriors have taken to raiding Imperial space and setting up vast, nearly impregnable citadels on every world they conquer. Their attitude is very paranoid and cynical, so it is quite rare to see them fighting alongside another Chaos legion outside of a Black Crusade. They also bear a brutal hatred for the Imperium.

Fluff Tactics:

(1) The Iron Warriors fight a methodical type of battle. Very specific fireplans govern a good deal of the planning of sieges and defense.

(2) The Warriors use feints and deception to make the enemy believe their weakest points are safe...muahahaha.

(3) Artillery and the ability to outrange opponents is a vital component of the Iron Warriors' strength. They use their superior firepower to wear down the enemy until the eventual charge will snap their lines like a femur in a powerfist.

(4) The Warriors do not like to take the fight to the enemy until just the right moment. Their assault troops will wait behind the lines until their charge will seal victory.

(5)The Iron Warriors also make extensive use of members of the Obliterator Cult.

Tactics:

(1) Fireplan: I have found that the most effective IW armies are the ones that have very specific target priorities, and know the best method to take them out. Always know what has the most potential to hurt your army and concentrate on those elements. I know that this sounds like extremely simple advice, but you'd be surprised how many people waste fire on relatively insignificant targets.

(2)Feints: This one is a bit tricky, as there are a multitude of options. My personal favorite is to make my opponent waste fire on targets that he/she thinks are dangerous, but are really fairly benign. For example, having my opponent pour fire into my slowly advancing Land Raider while my unscathed Basilisk rains death. Also, on larger tables, there is always the tactic of misdirection. Make your opponent think you are doing something you aren't. This type of tactic can often frustrate your opponent into making a serious mistake.

(3)Firepower: Ahh yes, the big guns, the real power of an Iron Warriors army. Always make sure you use your superior quality and quantity of firepower to eat away the enemy's numbers. As an IW commander, long range is your best friend. Also, choice of heavy weapons is extremely important. For more on heavy weapons, see below

(4) Assault troops: It is a foolish Warsmith who relies solely on his guns. Even the Iron Warriors need some assaulting power. My favorite assaulters for awhile after the new codex were the Possessed. Just call them death on a stick. The biggest problem with them is point cost, particularly if you want to give them some of their more fun abilities (I prefer daemonic talons), but for the points, it's hard to get nastier HtH monsters. In recent months, however, I have taken to using Chosen, or plain old Chaos Marines. I tend to give them Furious Charge, a plasma weapon or two (or three if they are Chosen), and drop them in a Rhino. While I'm on the subject, always always give your Rhinos smoke launchers and extra armor.

(5) Obliterators: Without a doubt, these are one of my new favorite toys. The new models are quite impressive as well. While expensive both monetarily and in terms of points, no IW army is complete without these walking artillery sheds. I can't say enough about these. I typically only have enough points to take a unit of three, but two units of 2-3 can be particularly nasty. Also, they make superb screens, especially with their new large bases. If you have the means, get some of these. You will be glad you did.

(6) Heavy Weapon Vehicles

The big guns are your friend. I recently played a game wherein I used three defilers and a bassie for my 4 HS choices and I annihilated my opponent. Ordnance is nice, especially now that Chaos has it's own battle cannon toting walker. However, I have stopped taking as many recently, seeing as 2 ordnance templates can get the job done nicely. Also, you will be accused of less cheese.

On special rules:

(1)Additional Heavy Support: Wow. I was ecstatic when WD 255 came out. Four Heavy Support and I still have the ability to take a Fast Attack...magic. In small games, however, I don't recommend taking a fourth HS, or even necessarily a third. Spend the points on as many troops as you can muster. In big games though, that fourth heavy is a godsend. I typically use it to pick up some extra Havocs or a Dread.

(2)New Toys: The Basilisk and the Vindicator. Personally of the two, I prefer the Basilisk. By the time your Vindy can shoot, your heavies should already have made mincemeat of your opponent's army. This part of the article will thus focus on the Basilisk. I personally hardly ever leave home without it. The one problem it encounters (excluding poor range guesses :) ) is small tables. In this caste, you really waste 25 points if you take Indirect Fire. The problem with using direct fire is that you have to expose your rather fragile artillery piece to enemy fire. At least two other posters on this forum can attest to the true destructive power of my "Boomstick" on large tables. If you are playing anyone but IG and, to a lesser degree, Tau with Hammerheads, you can force your enemy to either come to you, or watch as your pie plates take out big chunks of their army.

For those of you who do prefer the Vindicator, it is best used in those situations where a Basilisk is impractical (i.e. small tables). If you can get it close enough, this thing packs quite a wallop.

Army Construction

(1)On HQ: I tend to go with a Warsmith who runs about 141 points. I typically give him Daemonic Aura, Daemonic Strength, Daemonic Resilience Dark Blade, MoCU, Furious Charge, and a Bolt Pistol to round him out. He hits with S8 when charging, and that hurts. Aside from that, I don

My point of view on Elites comes from an RTT perspective. Meaning, I -try- not to duplicate, not fill the category, and try not to spend to high a percentage of my total point value on them (maybe I should just play more 'fun' games :) ). Also my perspective comes from games of 1500 points.

What this all means is that Oblits while awesome for cleanse play are mediocre at scenario play. Of course like all the stronger units, it seems moderation is best but I simply love oblits too much not to take at least 3. Oblits went from one of the crappiest units in the game (and I *did* use them back then, every game) to one of the most flexible.

Terminators are a lot of fun, but they never work for me, ever. They either sit and die or they drop in and die (not enough assaulty support). And since Oblits always make up one of my IW Elite categories, I can't justify using Termies on top of them.

Possessed I can only see being usefull in my current list as a 'fun' item.

Just putting this in to show how the tactica is paying off for some of us, today, after reading Prots post on the Kai gun, I went ahead and tried it out for the first time, and I gotta say, Prot was right. That little gem did more killing for me than any dark blade or dread axe ever has. I punished my BA opponent in two games with heavy fire, and the Kai gun, and I never failed a daemonic mastery. So my Iron Warrior hat is off to all you guys, and especially Prot. :)

ddtedie- That's awesome. I'm glad you were open to trying it out.

Like myself, you might have the odd game or two of bad dice rolling but overall, that Kai gun is one of the most efficient Marine killers you could put on a lord.

Glad I could be of service to a fellow Warsmith. Keep on pumping the emperor's finest full of Kai shells. :)

Anyone else got any comments about Elite choices and how they relate best to an Iron Warriors army? We'll be moving on to troops later today (after my math test :) )

This is a bit out of context for elites, and I haven't read all the replies on this page but hear me out.

I'd like to see someone try and use a chaos rhino to its full potential, ie if you're fighting large numbers of tiny nids or getting rid of nurglings or even scarabs, putting 5 marines in a rhino, two of which with flamers so they can shoot regardless (or not? I've heard rules about vehicles with flamers) having the standard combi bolter, and an additional combi bolter or havoc launcher mounted on the rhino... or both.

This is just a weakling "shoot up the enemy but avoid casualties by backing off and staying in the vehicle" role, but this could be used to drastically weaken an advancing army as you progressively give up ground and perhaps softening them up before they reach your fortification, instead of stubbornly trying to hold one or more static points against their full force.

This does not exactly tie in with the usual 40k blood baths that occur but I'm sure futuristic warfare would have such tactics to increase the kill/casualty ratios, after all APC's are there to protect their crew and promote their life expectancy on the ground, right?

Comments? :)

Okay, some great points were made, and everyone put in some great ideas.  Now let's discuss elites (my favorite)!

Some great points made by, amongst others, Crovan & Epicurus.

However to me, Oblits & Termies fit in best with MY idea of IW army. And as I already have 2 squads of each, I won't have space for either power armoured chosen or possessed. Just my personal preference.

Cheers

James

if you're fighting large numbers of tiny nids or getting rid of nurglings or even scarabs

Dude, I'd be scared to run a rhino into a squad of scarabs. Disruption fields are NOT cool against transports man... :)

Guest Clay

As embarrassed as I am to admit it - yes, part of my Chaos legion is an Iron Warriors army.

I've had since the previous codex, and changed nothing in it. So it's ironic that the Elite choices are still Terminators and Obliterators!

I've also got a squad of Raptors and marines in a Rhino - to drive up and kill stuff while the rest of the army shoots away...

And the standard Basilisk. A Predator finishes heavy support.

The rest of the army is Chaos Marines.

It's really a boring army, actually....

CHAOS SPACE MARINES

There isnt a whole lot to say about these fellas.

Our troops basically appear in one of two flavors: Fire support or counter assault.

FIRE SUPPORT

Any smart marine player knows to give all the expensive heavy weapons to the troops. It saves you points in the long run and allows you to spilt fire more effectively. I generally arm my fire support squads in one of four ways.

1. Missile launcher and plasma rifle. The missile launcher is among the most versatile weapons in the game, and I'd have to have squigs for brains not to get some use out of them. I generally use them in smaller games or in an environment where I don't know what I'll be facing. The plasma is there to assist in taking down light vehicles or heavy troops.

2. Heavy bolter. This is a pretty specialized squad. They are on anti-horde duty. Once a unit gets within 24 inches, they will be hit by a hail of gunfire that could potentially destroy any chance for them to make a dent in my marines once they make it to close combat. Again, this is only effective against certain armies, but is a steal for what it can do.

3. Lascannon and plasma rife. Pure anti-armor is this squad's only duty. Any vehicles making thier way towards this squad will have to be pretty luck to survive. The plasma rifle is thrown in to help mop up any survivors of the wreck, or take down light vehicles.

4. 2 plasma rilfes. This squad is there to toast marines and terminators. Thats about it.

COUNTER ASSAULT

This, again, is pretty much a no brainer. Marines with bolt pistols and close combat weapons and an aspiring champion with a power weapon or power fist (depending on which assault rules you may be using) thrown into a rhino with extra armor and smoke launchers is generally how I run them. It would be a good idea to throw in a flamer and a melta gun to assist in lowering numbers and taking out armor that the fire supports may have missed.

Epicurus.

Epicurus makes good points, but i myself use a third type of CSM squad:

The close range fire-support squad. I equip these jokers with 2 plasma guns, a rhino, and an aspiring champion with plasma pistol and Power fist. Also, they all have bolters. I use this squad to capture objectives and take the fight to enemy with my other close-combat squad. They can rapid-fire to death anything that gets close, and the aspiring champ cna take on just about all comers with his hidden powerfist.

So it's a sort of in-between squad.

I usually run 2-3 fire support squads, 1-2 counter attack squads, and 1 close-range fire support squad.

I'm with Vilicate on this one.

Actually, my use of close in fire squads is a lot more limited, and I tend to take 3-4 Fire support squads and 1-2 assault squads, depending on game size.

While we are on the subject, Warsmith Crovan says: "Never take fewer than four Troop choices!" Just remember that, always, or he'll hunt you down....no really....I miss Billy. I actually recommend no fewer than five, but that's just the strict side of me talking.

I am a big fan of the nine man Missile/Plasma squad with MoCU (why? because you just never know). I like nine because it is fluffly....yeah...that's it.

Anyway, as far as assaulters go, I naturally give them BP/CCW, and plop them in a Rhino with Extra Armor and Smoke Launchers (this is also something you should ALWAYS do). I don't even think of Rhinos as 50 points any more. How I distribute their special weapons varies. Sometimes I will do like Vilicate does and drop them 2 plasmas or even 2 meltas, but more often than not they get 2 PPs.

That's all I have for the moment.

Sometimes I will do like Vilicate does and drop them 2 plasmas or even 2 meltas, but more often than not they get 2 PPs.

i tend to find that 2 flamers is far more effective, as well as being far cheaper. Sure you wont get as many close combat attacks, but the potential kills from 2 flame templates more then makes up for it.

My troops get broken down like this:

All have 9 men (they can take as many casualties as a 10 man w/o forcing morale, but save some points... also a mult. of 3, which I DO take stock in.)

1 has a lascannon & pgun for the rhino busting which is always necessary, and just for general chunkage.

1 has HB & PG for killin da troopz (sorry, been designing my orkses)... the PG is good for general multi-purpose, while the HB can deal with any troops short of marines as though they weren't there. Also an AC w/ BP & PW

1 has BP/CCW, FC, 58 point Rhino, and an AC w/ PW

1 has just a lascannon, but also has an AC w/ PW.

I haven't tested this in a long time (orkses, school, ADD), so I don't think I'm gonna need all them AC's.... then I'll prolly add a PF instead of the PW in the Rhino squad. Without the ACs, i might be able to put some more stuff on my lord, which, BTW, is:

Lord w/ Term. Armor, Combi-bolter, D. Res, MoCU, Dark Blade

128 pts. I think. I might give him D. Str. or Mut... prolly str., more fluff for my lord.

signing out...

-robot

sorry i wasn't able to add to the other bits of the tactica... but I'll be around for FA and HS... yummy!

-robot again

Okay, Let's discuss troop combination, and how you feel is the best way to use troops.

So far I have assembled 6 Troops choices, but only used 4:

1) 6 CSM with plasmagun & lascannon (vs tanks)

2) 6 CSM with plasmagun & autocannon (vs rhinos etc)

3) 9 CSM with plasmagun & missile launcher (multi purpose fire support)

4) 9 CSM with AC with PF, 2 meltaguns (assualt vs marines)

Not yet used these other 2 squads:

5) 9 CSM with heavy bolter & lascannon (shooting vs horde)

6) 9 CSM with AC with PW, 2 flamers (assualt vs horde)

I like variety of equipment- I hate identical cloned squads. So far the 4 squads used have worked fairly well. Gives me a couple of small squads to sit back & take out vehicles, 1 squad to provide close in fire support and hold objectives & other to sweep forward with rhino & assault one flank in conjunction with raptors.

Cheers

James

Since I do something a bit different, I'll add my two cents.

For scenario based play one of my squads is usually 10+ guys strong, two have plasma guns, I give an AC a fist and they all get Infiltrate.

As you know, many scenarios force you to hold back a portion of your army, however, most of those scenarios do allow infiltrators.

Another plus to doing this is that in objective based scenarios, these guys go deep and can hold their own for a substantial amount of time.

And finally, I'd say that this idea will get even more popular when (or should I say if) Rhino disembarkment rules change.

I have used a 10 man strike force like this for my last 8-10 games. It's been solid and very usefull in some of those funky scenarios.

Can't say that I run anything different than what has already been posted. My coutner-assualt unit is 7 strong w/ Asp. Champ. I have a plasma rifle and a melta gun in that squad, and the Champ has a PF and plasma pistol. They are my only counter-assualt group, as the rest of the army is made up of bolter toting, lascannon/missile launcher or heavy bolter weilding CSM with only the MOU. I am not one to invest in a lot of vet skills for these guys, opting for more troops. I usually will move the heavy bolter squads around for a turn or two, giving cover fire with the lascannon squads and the missile launcher squad, all the while blasting away with my ordanance. So I guess my boys are kind of dull too, but so far, I have had great results with them.

In case any of the newer players are interested, I have posted two 2000 point lists in the Army List Review Forum. I have based these lists mainly off what I have said in here, so check them out if you'd like to see how I construct an IW army.

As for my more experienced brethren (Vilicate, prot, Epi, I am looking at you :wacko: ), I would like some analysis of the two lists if you would be so kind.

Iron Within, Iron Without.

Okay ddtedie, time for probably the least used of categories for Iron Warriors....or is it? Guys, Fast Attack is yours to discuss!

BTW, do i get one of those nifty sigs epi?

Ahh yes, the Fast Attacks. Well, let me begin by saying that I am just now rediscovering the glory that is the Fast Attack choice. It really began with my Dark Angels. I learned how to use bikes more effectively, and that set me rolling. Now I am a big fan of both Raptors and Bikes.

Of the two, I prefer Raptors. The hit and run bit is really nice, and with Furious Charge, they become frightening. With the FC veteran skill, they are more than a match for their loyalist cousins, and really everyone but characters and Banshees. I have started taking these guys again, and it helps that GW made the models a little better ;)

Bikes: I think the two best armies to take bikes are the Chaos Space Marines and the Dark Angels. Chaos bikes get that extra attack, which makes them much better than their Imperial cousins, and you can field units of up to 10, which can improve survivability, though it makes hiding them harder :wacko:. One of their best assets, however, is the ability to keep moving while firing. You can basically soften your opponent up a bit if you have to, then charge in. I recommend plasma on these for the rapid fire, but meltas can also prove useful if you can fold the enemy flank.

CHAOS SPACE MARINE BIKES

These guys are my personal favorite when it comes to fast attack choices. They're tougher, faster, and just plain deadlier than your average marine. With toughness 5, they will be surviving more fire from small arms. Their enhanced speed makes them idea for securing objectives or taking out artillery or dark reapers. They always count as stationary, so they can lay out a lot of bolter and plasma fire while on the move. With the new assault rules, they are even better, gaining the ability to shoot one target and charge the other.

They are expensive, though. And when one dies, it hurts. A lot. You need to be really careful with using them, hiding them behind buildings or impassable terrain when possible.

I currently use a 5 man squad with a meltagun and a plasma rile, led by an aspiring champion with a powerfist and spiky bits. The whole squad has furious charge. They can take out isolated units, tank hunt, and assist in assaults. Their speed guarantees they will be where they are needed.

RAPTOR CULT

They are my second favorite fast attack choice (:wacko:). Pretty much everything that was said above applies to these guys with a few minor changes.

They are even better in assault. The hit and run ability is devastating when used with Furious Charge. The number of special weapons they can take makes them excellent tank hunters or swarm killers. They also ignore terrain, making them ideal for ambushing.

The big downside is they arent as survivable as bikes. They need to hide in cover when possible if you expect them to make it where they are going in one piece.

Epicurus.

Archived