The Chaos Tactica: Iron Warriors

Vilicate

Before this (once awesome) thread gets rediculously off topic:

Let's switch gears again! What is your favorite mission assualt unit? What I mean specifically is, if you're playing scenarios and you need that unit that can hold a quarter, or a unit that will grab that objective, what do you go with?

Personally, I'm severely attached to my Possessed in a Rhino. I have a large infiltrating squad that does a good job of tieing up the enemy but nothing cuts imperialist pigs down like my possessed with my HQ on board.

I know other Chaos armies have some great choices with their troops but we don't have a mark or some of that jucier wargear (we have significant weaponry of course).

I know some of you like Raptors or Bikes, tooled up troops,or even Termies.

So, given a must -win- situation, who do you send in for the kill?

I would have to say my chosen in termie armor as well, or my counter assualt squad. Just regualr CSM with BP and CC weapons, but usually my LT or Warsmith is with this unit. The AC has a power fist, the LT has a power fist, and the Warsmith has a power weapon, so they will usually quell any thing that gets in to deep. I also use my Oblits for assualt every now and then when the target presents itself. They do suprisingly well in close combat.

I, like prot, love my infiltrating squad with some type of unusual passion. They can hold their own against pretty much anything (barring stupid bloodletters *mutter mutter mutter*), and have enough firepower to see of anything they don't want to fight in CC.

After them, my favorite quarter contesters have to be my terminators, with my insane 6 attack lord! Sick i tell you. Oh yeah, and they have those nasty gunz...okay, that's enough, da boyz iz callin again! Gotta keep on paintin!

Hmm, for staying power? I like the 20 blocks of marines, they can hold anything, and for cleanse, its always havocs with 4 plasma guns, nasty on those marines. I have to say again, whats a few melta chaos warriors(overheat) next to toasty marine s'mores?

Guest 6o4_PnoY

Anyone got IW websites???

Like people who have a site or gallery for IW??

Cause i'd like to see some picture of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, to dredge this sticky post back up from the ages (sorry i haven't been around much, i've had somewhat of a fantasy frenzy recently)

Let's talk of race specific tactics. First up are anti-space marine tactics.

it would sure help to include what weapons work best, squads, squad loadouts, tactics and general advice.

I want to hear from those old-timers!

I`m actually getting ready to put togather an IW army since the release of the new Vehicle rules that allow tanks to move and fire ordinance.

Now I was just getting an 1850point army list togather so that I could figure out what to buy. I will be making my army as much robotic as possible and coverting everything so that the list would make sense. so here were my thoughts and what i am going to start with.

First I wanted to keep a little fluffy while keeping the army as brutal as possible. I would like it to be feared and win...lol.... So i decided that hey lets go ahead and do the 4 pie plates

Heavy Support: 2 Defilers, Basalisk, Vindicator

I know I`ll get cries when they hit the table but the scatter is twice the range now that they can all move and fire. And since I would be using the 4 Ord. blasts I went small for the Oblits with only 4 in 2 squads.

Elites: 2 Oblits, 2 Oblits, 8 possessed w/ D.Talons and Rhino.

The possessed are for my counter assult and a screen for the heavies if needed. I`m using the necromunda pitfighter blades and saws for the talon upgrades. Possessed with my experience can verry easily cut through standard marines. Which leads me to the counter assult units for the army.

HQ: 130pt Demon prince w/ stature, wings, Str, resil., and a LT. w/ DarkBlade that rides w/ possessed

The Dp can hide out behind a defiler or tank untill something gets close and then jump forward and assult either holding up the unit or wiping it out completely. The DP and Lt. will be customed modeled so that they are as much robotic as possible.

And Lastly troops which as you can guess I don`t have a whole lot of points or numbers by this time so I started with 2 squads of 6 marines w/ lascannon & plasmagun.

Now I needed some cheap units with good numbers to be my meat shields for the Oblits. that I could basicly just throw away. So I decided to hire some outside help w/ Kroot Carnivores. I got 2 squads of 15 and gave the shaper a powerfist (eviserator) for those that do roll into HtH. I will model the kroot to be robotic also by replacing a leg or arm here and there with the flesh hanging off a little. People don`t really think too much of the Kroot Merc. but I find that they can fit a roll verry nicely. The worst thing about chaos marines is the fact that they are so point hungry.

Well thats about it. Also I couldn`t really find anything that would disallow for using Kroot in an IW army since IW`s don`t have to have a mark at all.

So far, as for race specific opponents, I have only taken on Tau, and Eldar other than Space Marine armies. Tau and Eldar are both kind of annoying to me, as I lack mobility to jump in and assualt them. And, in those games, my ordanance would scatter horribly. They just have such high power weapons that give you troubles. As to Space Marine armies though, I love taking on the rhino rush groups with my guys. Just sit back and hammer them as they try to drive forward, and let my oblits, dreads and my ordanance take them out. I haven't had a shot against any Orks, as I think I am the only Ork player in the area, nor have I gotten a chance against IG. I have played the Nids once, and we fought to a draw (Cleanse mission each with two quarters) but I like to work on the big hordes before I focus attention on the slower bigger bugs. Our nid player has gone away for a while, so it looks like it will be Space Marine, Eldar, and Tau for a while.

• 4 years later...

Archived