Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

3D Gladius-class Frigate

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

Ecritter

Ecritter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,650 posts
Third in my 3D Space Marine Fleet is done, only a couple more ships to go.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Eberious

Eberious

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,547 posts
Hey, nice job on the Gladius.

Like Thunder from the sky, sworn to fight and die.
~IN HOC SIGNO VINCES~   "In this sign you will conquer"

"When you hear the trumpet Blast
Know, foul xenos, Black Templars have come at last."

My Eldar project
http://www.dakkadakk...ist/309329.page

gallery_48988_6285_2678.png

Ecritter

Ecritter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,650 posts
Thanks, need to do the Nova-class Frigate and the Destroyer ... and maybe a Thunderhawk and the fleet will be complete.

Here are the others ships I've done already.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Ecritter, 30 May 2009 - 08:40 AM.

Eberious

Eberious

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,547 posts
Cool much better pic of the strike crusier, think the front of the battlebarge needs a little more width personaly but all good so far. Gotta love BFG.

Like Thunder from the sky, sworn to fight and die.
~IN HOC SIGNO VINCES~   "In this sign you will conquer"

"When you hear the trumpet Blast
Know, foul xenos, Black Templars have come at last."

My Eldar project
http://www.dakkadakk...ist/309329.page

gallery_48988_6285_2678.png

Marshal2 Crusaders

Marshal2 Crusaders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + ADEPTUS DOMUS +
  • 9,425 posts
You should do a little research into naval formations to, just to add a touch of realism.

Ecritter

Ecritter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,650 posts

You should do a little research into naval formations to, just to add a touch of realism.

Actually I was in the Navy for 10 years.

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,138 posts
Very cool!
Just out of curiosity: What 3d program are you using?
Thanks! :P

New-GA-hotlink-banner-190511.jpg

Marshal2 Crusaders

Marshal2 Crusaders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + ADEPTUS DOMUS +
  • 9,425 posts
Right, so why arn't they in formation! :P

Just because space is 3-D doesn't mean tried and true (and recognizable) formations should be discarded. :P

Ecritter

Ecritter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,650 posts
I use Doga L3 to make my ships and render the pics.

Well, as Kahn would learn the hard way ... its hard to put 2D naval tactics into a 3D environment. The Battle Barges are near the center (like normal naval combat) with the Strike Cruiser and Frigates surrounding them. That is pretty basic naval fleet organization as I recall.

Marshal2 Crusaders

Marshal2 Crusaders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + ADEPTUS DOMUS +
  • 9,425 posts
Is that how the fleet travel on the island hopping campaigns of WWII? Because that is always how I imagined Space Marines traveling, since the parallels are obvious.

Ecritter

Ecritter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,650 posts
It still how they move in fleet formation today.

Marshal2 Crusaders

Marshal2 Crusaders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + ADEPTUS DOMUS +
  • 9,425 posts
Sweet. Well then nevermind :P

Shaun Carlin

Shaun Carlin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 596 posts
Wait a minute these look extreme and all much cudos to you but I what are you making these for are you making a game :P
Please be making a game
"Know this, sons of Guilliman. The father of our Chapter watches over us always. He knows your soul, your strengths and, aye, even your doubts. The chain of command must not be broken or we are nothing. Discipline and order are everything on the battlefield and the army that lives by the credo will triumph."- Roboute Guilliman, Primarch of the Ultramarines

Ecritter

Ecritter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,650 posts

Sweet. Well then nevermind :P

Just for fun sorry. But if you know someone working on a game that needs 3D models .... please let me know.

Master Toddius

Master Toddius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,430 posts
Awesome work man. Be perfect for a personal website or one that you enjoy. You might want to check with a SM specific site from one of the members here and i bet they'd love to have your stuff presented with full credits to you.

Good Job. :P

-----T O D D I U S

gallery_317_1465_4319.jpggallery_317_1465_1491.jpggallery_317_1465_191827.gifgallery_317_1465_448.jpggallery_317_1465_3238.jpg

Ecritter

Ecritter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,650 posts
I think I'll work on the Hunter-class Destroyer next. Be watching for it.

Shaun Carlin

Shaun Carlin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 596 posts
Doing it for fun is fine too :D
"Know this, sons of Guilliman. The father of our Chapter watches over us always. He knows your soul, your strengths and, aye, even your doubts. The chain of command must not be broken or we are nothing. Discipline and order are everything on the battlefield and the army that lives by the credo will triumph."- Roboute Guilliman, Primarch of the Ultramarines

Kadaeux

Kadaeux

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 963 posts

Right, so why arn't they in formation! :lol:

Just because space is 3-D doesn't mean tried and true (and recognizable) formations should be discarded. :P

Ahem, yes it does mean they should be discarded.

Look at what Aircraft did to the naval arena. Now imagine those bombers being Battleships instead and you'll see why you need to adopt changes to formations.

:P :P
Nice World. I'll take it.

Bretac

Bretac

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17 posts
Hey, excellent models!

Also, if I do remember correctly, There is a BFG mod project going on for the PC game Sins of a Solar Empire. They may already have the models already designed and everything but I'm sure they could use your help if your interested (and if they're still working on it. I"m not really sure)

Ecritter

Ecritter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,650 posts
Thanks, I'll check it out. Do you have a addy for it, there are too many mods in a google search?

I think after I finish the Hunter-class I'll start on the 3 AdMech ships I have reference pics for.

Edited by Ecritter, 02 June 2009 - 03:57 AM.

OnlyInDeath

OnlyInDeath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,088 posts
I WAS gonna make a comment on scale, but then I remembered the source would be a G.S. Soto novel and thought, "The hell does that guy know?" He had strike cruisers and frigates actually docked up against the battlebarge in one of the first 3 dawn of war books. The scale of the barge would have to be somewhere on the scale of about 8 kilometers to make this even possible...
Click Here if you are in need of some reading material
QUOTE (Vassakov @ Feb 23 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the end of the day, we know who our true brothers are. We watch the halls of Russ, and remember our days of glory whilst persuing ever greater ones.
We are the Sons of Russ, for the All-Father and the Wolf King. From now, until the End Days and the Wolftime. We play by our rules, and noone elses.

Kadaeux

Kadaeux

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 963 posts

I WAS gonna make a comment on scale, but then I remembered the source would be a G.S. Soto novel and thought, "The hell does that guy know?" He had strike cruisers and frigates actually docked up against the battlebarge in one of the first 3 dawn of war books. The scale of the barge would have to be somewhere on the scale of about 8 kilometers to make this even possible...

Ahem, a Battlebarge IS 8 Kilometres long.

The Vessel you see in the Foreground of this video as the Battlebarge "passes by" is the Strike Cruiser you used as your pimped ride for the whole game.

As a size measure.

Battlebarge: 6-10 Kilometres.
Strike Cruiser: 2.5 - 3 Kilometres.
Frigates 1-1.5 Kilometres
Destroyers: 600m-1 Kilometre.
Nice World. I'll take it.

Ecritter

Ecritter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,650 posts
yeah that's the scale I'm using.

Ecritter

Ecritter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,650 posts
Is this a better (more acceptable) patrol formation?

Posted Image

Marshal2 Crusaders

Marshal2 Crusaders

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + ADEPTUS DOMUS +
  • 9,425 posts
Nice. It looks more realistic now, other than everybody on top of one another. Is that the entire Chapter Fleet?