Dawn of war Movie

Hey all

As we all here love dawn of war - do you think they will ever make a proper big budget movie like the same epic proportion as star ship troopers or lord of the ring's - and if they did do you believe it would take this already epic game to a whole new level?

Plus if they did do you think they would make it from the current 40k setting - tell 3 epic movies then make a prequel on the end detailing how it came to be via the Horus Hersey - personally i think it would work because you don’t have to know anything about the game- but seeing a bunch of super warriors advertised fighting huge scale wars would be enough t tempt me.

What do you think?

I'd love it. But it would have to be SO epic, it might end up being prohibitively expensive and time-consuming to produce.

It would also have to be REALLY good, else it might only be mainly fans who would go and see it (and buy the DVD).

It's probably a tough sell to a studio ... but I'd love them to try :blink:

If they found a way to pay for such an expensive production, my bets are on the fact that it will involve the Inquisition because it will have to have some kind of romance theme to it because that is what the general public demands.

That and the general public knows very little about Warhammer in general so i highly doubt any major movie production would pick up such an idea.

If they found a way to pay for such an expensive production, my bets are on the fact that it will involve the Inquisition because it will have to have some kind of romance theme to it because that is what the general public demands.

That and the general public knows very little about Warhammer in general so i highly doubt any major movie production would pick up such an idea.

romance in W40k is like forcing a cat to mate with a hawk...

There has been a quite good movie about the Inquisition, but unfortunately, it was done by fans, for fans.....and GW has forbidden it's release.......and, as far as I know, it's only available in german (the original language, in which the movie has been filmed), if someone manages to find it somewhere in the grim darkness of the far www, where there's only Damnatus ......

There has been a quite good movie about the Inquisition, but unfortunately, it was done by fans, for fans.....and GW has forbidden it's release.......and, as far as I know, it's only available in german (the original language, in which the movie has been filmed), if someone manages to find it somewhere in the grim darkness of the far www, where there's only Damnatus ......

Pretty sure you can find it on YouTube.

romance in W40k is like forcing a cat to mate with a hawk...

Actually there is a romance in a number of 40k novels and its not forced or strange. Don't forget that in the grim dark future there is... humanity. The people of the 40k universe are still people and they have all the same emotions as any other human race in any other fiction or reality. If its a Space Marine love story then ok, there is a problem. Example: Eisenhorn the best 40k series ever written and it contains a love story.

As for the movie, just imagine a Peter Jackson directed 3 part (aka LOTR) big budget Horus Heresy movie. Yep, that would give nerds everywhere heart attacks.

As for the movie, just imagine a Peter Jackson directed 3 part (aka LOTR) big budget Horus Heresy movie. Yep, that would give nerds everywhere heart attacks.

Nah, if it was Micheal Bay and Steven Speilberg (yes the Transformers combo) on such an event, then we'd have fatalities

horus heresy movie would never happen, i dont think GW is that eager to kill us off.

and that movie involving the inquisition had better not be Inquisitor. if you think that is good, then you sir, are a heretic.

and what do we do with heretics?

if it animated let someone like tim burton get his hands on it, (as long as their is no singing) all his movies are ridiculously dark, and i cant imagine a real life space marine looking cool so it would have to be cgi. A good example would the trailers for 9, now that looked dark. I think they should do a gaunt's ghost, the first or the third, and have teasers over the internet be the second book. I know he isnt a spacemarine but he would work perfectly.

To be completely honest, although all of my mates (and myself included) would love a 40k movie, it won't work. Why? Our expectations are too high! We'd expect a truly epic movie which goes for longer than Ben Hurr...heck, it'd have to be like Band of Brothers. If you do that, however, you would have to do several more. Why? If you pulled it off that first time, then every other race, chapter, ordo, etc would want one.

And we don't want any sub-standard 40k visual affairs now, would we? Need I point at some previous games?

I'll stick with my imagination, unless someone actually pulls it off.

well that's why it should be made the same way as star wars if you ask me you see the 3 later movies first - then you see the 3 of how things came to be. animation wise you can't go wrong with abit of beowolf style animation ( leaves room for a few over the top stunts) but i think it would stand a much higher chance after a game comes out for main consoles such as xbox and if they gave it a truley gripping story line. that would hopefully grip people into wanting to see more action on this scale - also if it was an 18 and they made a few spin of involving the inquisition and tyranids i think it would work really really well - but who can say for sure aye :P

There was a time when Dungeons & Dragons fans really wanted a D&D movie.

Be careful what you wish for.

Even if a 40K movie somehow got greenlighted, without a big name director, a big name producer, or even a big name screenwriter, it'd probably end up in the hands of Uwe Boll and share production values with Bloodrayne 2.

That said, I could actually see one of the "message" directors doing some interesting stuff with grimdark. It could be kind of tough to make a jeremiad against autocracy or theocracy with GW holding the fluff reigns as tightly as they're known to on outside projects, though.

Basically, if it ever got made and didn't totally suck, it unfortunately probably wouldn't be an hour and a half of Space Marines beating the crap out of stuff. It's a shame, too, 'cause I'm pretty sure Mickey Rourke was born to play a grizzled old Space Marine sergeant.

No, you people have failed, what we all truley need, is a video game that falls under the Epic-Cinematic wings of Mass Effect, prefferably get Bioware in on it (the guys from KoToR, and ME) that would truley get the name of WH40,000 out there. Like a :cussing missle....

Then we can think about movies...

And if they do a movie, it should be about the Great Crusade, because that's the only one with ships that aren't sausage fests.

I really think that any kind of a movie will really depend on the success of the Space Marine game coming out. Why? Because, people have slowly heard tricklings of Warhammer from the Dawn of War series, it looks like it has to be a multiplayer game of some kind, and frankly, the Grimdark setting of 40k screams out to what Americans want: semi-comic ultraviolence. 300, Sin City, LOtR, hell even the new Star Wars trilogy. The fact is that Warhammer 40,000 is something of a perfect storm that just needs to wait a little bit longer before it's loosed on the American mainstream.

Do I see a series of TV shows? Not really, the setting's just a little too grim for that kind of mass-consumption. Do I see a blockbuster of a movie with Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis? Very likely, within 20 years, I see it happening.

Spielberg does sci-fi, we know that (ET the Extraterrestrial). We also know he does kind of scary stuff (Poltergeist). We also know he's got a sense of humor (Who Framed Roger Rabbit, the cartoons he produced in the 90's). Lastly, and most importantly, we know he does war (Saving Private Ryan). Now his buddy Zemeckis could easily take care of the digital aspect (Polar Express), because let's face it, seeing somebody try to stop-motion a Battle Titan would just be kind of silly.

I'm not going to touch either the plot of the thing or which Marine Chapter(s) would be involved because that just opens up a big can of worms. I'll also not say anything about who would play who. Actually I will, but I'll cheat. Vincent Price would have made a badass Inquisitor.

I say CGI For Teh Win here.

Yeah, or something like Beowulf, with actors remade in CGI and stuff like that. And a soundtrack like Dawn of War, all dark with pseudo-latin chanting. Otherwise, any other form of music would not do it justice and sound just plain cheesy.

Why not get Samuel Jackson to play a Salamander Captain? :P He'd be a kickass Sallie

hehe, I can see it now :Enough is enough! I have had it with these :) -ing Xenos on this :lol: -ing Battle Barge!

And a soundtrack like Dawn of War, all dark with pseudo-latin chanting. Otherwise, any other form of music would not do it justice and sound just plain cheesy.

Listen to the works of the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo. Good stuff. But consider that you just couldn't do that for the whole movie. Basil Pouledouris' daughter shares an exceptionally similar musical style, and I think we all know how kick-arse his music was. (Conan the Barrbarian, Robocop, Starship Troopers)

It's probably a tough sell to a studio ... but I'd love them to try :)

I dont see why it would be a tough sell, look at all the third rate comic books that get movies every year. I havent even heard of half of them, then I find out it was a comic book and I go "if this can get a movie how is it an awesome universe like 40k cant get one?"

Hollywood is no mans land for new ideas. Again, look at all the crappy comic book movies and remakes that come out every year. If someone with the pull to do it took the time to get into the fluff they would see enough material for a whole franchise of movies.

The biggest draw back there is of course is that it is so brutal and gritty. The sheer amount of vioulnce automatically shuts the door on half of the potential audience. It would have to be rated R.

Archived