Dawn of war Movie

As for the movie, just imagine a Peter Jackson directed 3 part (aka LOTR) big budget Horus Heresy movie. Yep, that would give nerds everywhere heart attacks.

I think that a Horus Heresy film trilogy would be extremely epic, though how would you fit it all in? I think they should do the first three in one film, skipping the really boring parts, film two would have things like The Burning of Prospero and Istvaan V in it, the third ending with the Siege of Terra ad the Death of Horus Lupercal.

Comic book movies are "in" right now, so Hollywood will go all in on anything that has Marvel or DC slapped on it. 40k has neither, and it represents a much smaller demographic than comic book readers/super hero fans. Comic books are entertainment, while wargame miniatures are a hobby. There's a difference, and I just don't see it happening.

If the day comes that miniatures become the highlight of nerd life instead of video games, rpg's and comic books, then maybe it'll have a chance of happening.

Well thats the thing DoW and DoW II have made massive amounts of money for THQ and now they are trying spinoffs of it with Space Marine. The videogame community is just eating up the grittyness of the Warhammer universe. Ok ill admit a few Warhammer games made were crap but the thing is if it was done well and you give it a couple of years a Warhammer movie would definitely make it. I mean if people are still watching SAW whatever Warhammer 40k makes such killing look like child's play.

• 3 weeks later...
The only way I could see a 40k movie working mainstream is if it followed an Imperial Guard squad around (that somehow, by luck and getting their ass saved multiple times, manages to make it to more than one fight.)

romance in W40k is like forcing a cat to mate with a hawk...

Do you have any idea just how difficult that is, been trying for years you know. Trying to get a perfect Familiar, but it just doesn't seem to work, i've even spoken to the Magos Biologis about it and he's stumped too!

But more... on-topic.

Will they? Eventually. Think of how well known 40k is now because of Dawn of War. Everyone (well maybe not everyone) but a hell of a lot more at least know OF it.

What will such a movie look like???

Probably a high budget version of Damnatus. I doubt any man in his right mind would try and do justice to a movie centred on a ground war though the Gaunts Ghosts would make a good source for one.

I think the Imperial guard idea is best. make it like any other Sci-fi Film at first, starship troopers style following a squad of recruits on their path to becoming epic; final battle, all is lost, last stand; but the last few seconds of film is someone gazing at the sky, camra pans, blink any you'll miss it, Thunderhawk.

I think it would be better to start of with movies about the Heresy. Thus making the universe known to the greater public. If you start one about IG you will have issues with people who know nothing of WH40K. Who is this Emperor? why are they religious zealots? what's the deal with space Elfs? etc etc...

If you start with the great crusade you can tell in a prologue that after millennia the Emperor unites Terra (think first scenes of Lotr Fellowship of the Ring) and takes the galaxy. Tell how the Primarchs and the Legions came to be. Explain Chaos and its goal. The rise of the Imperium acts as the build up of the Movies, the corruption spreading as the "moment everything goes to hell" and an Epic siege of Terra and Horus Vs Emperor as the climax.

Now the public knows the Imperium, it's composition, main players and reasons as to why they are how they are... Thus paving the way for other films where the focus lies wherever they see fit.

The thing for me is, in the HH books the Imperius is still something we can identify with, the Secularism, science prevailing, discoveries, victories, etc... Happy times for Men right?

This is one thing that never changes in film making, it has to give the viewer a good feeling and (almost) always have a happy ending.

Granted, the big E decaying on a golden toilet isnt Glory but Man won that Civil war....

all is written from my point of view.

Actually, after Dawn of War II came out I heard from a reliable source within the company that they would work on producing a short film with the Ultramarines using the same technology that was utilised in creating the trailer for DoW II. However, it was going to kept quiet until they actually got it done because every other time they announced something like it...it failed but I mean epic failed. I've not heard anything since I heard that, I may have to call for an update...

In the Eisenhorn trilogy Abnett has practically a screenplay and script that has written itself and follows formule and traditions in regard to film production. On a personal note it is also very close to canon unlike other BL releases.

In the Eisenhorn trilogy Abnett has practically a screenplay and script that has written itself and follows formule and traditions in regard to film production. On a personal note it is also very close to canon unlike other BL releases.

Agreed. AND because the Eisenhorn approaches 40k from its less... "GRIMDARK!" side it'd be more palatable to the public. Eisenhorn isn't some raving Malleus fanatic but a pragmatic competent man who investigates and stops the ultimate evils.

Until the second and third movies when the Audience gets to see his "Fall from grace"

And does anyone else here think that the Spatian Gate incident would just be AWESOME film....

They'd need to coal up his skin, though. Sallies are a coal black.. hell, they could get white guys to do Sallies after coal makeup. I don't think the Sallies are like the White Scars etc., they don't have an ethnic origin on earth as far as I know.

They're just like any other Space Marine, cept one of their glands (iirc) reacts with the Sallie's homeworld atmosphere and gives them pitch black skin.

As we all here love dawn of war -

first off HA not all of us like that tripe

do you think they will ever make a proper big budget movie like the same epic proportion as star ship troopers or lord of the ring's

oh good god no, GW would never make a movie of anything they do, there stupid but not that stupid, making a movie about something thats almost never heard of or ridiculed, most likely be a disaster, and they would most likely use god awful actors and scripts.

I think a movie might be possible but very unlikly to ever happen, there are just not enough people who would watch it plus I personal wouldn't think it would be that good as the company producing the movie will always want to edit parts of the history to make it more accesible to newer auidences.

As we all here love dawn of war -

first off HA not all of us like that tripe

do you think they will ever make a proper big budget movie like the same epic proportion as star ship troopers or lord of the ring's

oh good god no, GW would never make a movie of anything they do, there stupid but not that stupid, making a movie about something thats almost never heard of or ridiculed, most likely be a disaster, and they would most likely use god awful actors and scripts.

Is there irony in you using the wrong *they're* when calling GW stupid, or not having an apostrophe in *that's* ?

An introduction prologue would be needed for any 40k movie. Even a Horus Heresy film would need a short introduction about the Emperor uniting Earth, the creating and discovering of the Primarchs, possibly even Old Night and Humanity's lost brothers across the stars?

I don't think the Horus Heresy would make for a very good film. Mostly because it *can't* be done in one film. There are simply too many events.

While it would probably never happen, and it's odd because I've never even seen this idea on any forum discussing a possible 40k movie, so maybe it's just a bad idea:

Imagine the Siege of Terra. That is the time of the film, with every history being included via a flashback. So, its starts with the introduction: Humanity spread across the stars millenia ago; Warp Storms cut isolated worlds; The Emperor unites Terra under his own banner and makes his pact with Mars; The creation and loss of the Primarchs; The Great Crusade and the finding of the Primarchs; and finally a note of corruption.

Then is pans to a scene where Dorn, Khan, Sanguinius, the Emperor, legion champions, and several army generals, and various whatnots are standing around a map of the Emperor's palace discussing defenses. They mention their loyal brothers and with each one it shows what they're doing; Jonson and Russ fighting towards Terra; Gulliman fighting against Word Bearers; Vulkan and Corax recovering on board their vessels; and a final mention of Ferrus which pans to a view of Istvaan V with his corpse amongst so many others.

The talking leads to the beginning of the invasion. Outside the palace you see the entrenchments and heavy guns mounted on the palace. As the traitors make landfall and carnage ensues, you hear mention of each of the Traitor legions and each mention leads to a flashback. One that might be interesting would be: "Where are the Emperor's Children?" the one questioned answers, "They've taken to attacking the Citizens." and then a line like, "How far the mighty have fallen." *Flashback*

The majority of the movie would be fighting, and the ending would be brilliant: the duel between Horus and the Emperor, Dorn carrying the Emperor and putting him on/ in the golden throne; and the appearance of the other loyal legions, ending with appearance of the Ultramarines. Climactic scenes such as Sanguinius breaking the bloodthirster would be awesome as well.

A similar idea could be done with Istvaan III, except the flashbacks are only of the four legions: SoH, EC, DG, WE. The intro would remain the same, afterwards would be a scene of the worn loyalists fighting the traitors. Abaddon and Little Horus would duel Tarik and Loken. Finally it would end with Horus bombing the world and all the loyal astartes looking towards the sky.

In retrospect, I'd rather see the Istvaan III one.

I reckon that, if one were to do the Horus Heresy, it would be best with the first book being the Movie, the rest are used to write a TV show for it. (But I would love to see how they did the Exterminatus on Istvaan III. Make it M-15+ and go into the gory "liquefication" followed by the ignition by Lances.)

I'd prefer CGI, but who knows. Maybe Dreamworks or Pixar or someone could go from family-friendly to pg13/R.

Ah yeah, good question.. what would the rating on the movie be? Now, don't just automatically say R... because plenty of 13-17 year-olds are interested in 40k and I'm sure GW would want to capitalize on that resource.

13-17 year olds watch R rated movies. And it's not irresponsible parenting. I saw the first Saw movie when I was ten or eleven when I saw the first Saw film. I was a wee boy when I saw the American Godzilla.

And don't forget all the kiddies who went to see Star Wars Episode III. Both Star Wars RotS and American Godzilla were PG - 13.

It would take an R rating to do the series justice. A chainsaw sword is going to make gore. A bolter is going to blow people and things up. A lasgun has the ability to take off a human's head and it leaves serious burns. Throw in cursing on the part of the guardsmen, racist overtones (xenophobia), explosions, and possibly daemons. Hello R rating.

Yeah, I wasn't saying that 13-17 year-olds don't watch R-rated movies. Production companies make many movies pg-13 and not R for a reason. 40k would be R, but that doesn't mean they won't force it into pg-13 to get a wider audience.

• 2 weeks later...
romance in W40k is like forcing a cat to mate with a hawk...

The Ciaphus Cain books are great and he's sleepn with the Ordo Xenos so....

Not only sleeping with her - there's a number of hints in the books that Cain's just plain in love with her - in Cain's Last Stand he randomly comments that the sky is the color of her eyes, in The Traitor's Hand when confronting a Slaaneshi witch who looks like whoever you care about, he sees Amberly and he definitely gets excited every time he has the prospect of seeing Amberly again. I don't think I could ever see him being head-over-heels googly-eyed in love, but he definitely has romantic (as opposed to purely sexual) feelings for her. Also, as was mentioned previously, the Eisenhorn series contains a love story, and the Ravenor series also seems to have some romantic threads to it.

As for a 40K movie? It's an interesting idea, but if they were to do it, I think their best bet would be to not focus on Space Marines, since their ungodly power would make them difficult for the audience to relate to. A better bet would be to focus either on the Guard or on the Inquisition. -M

Agreed. AND because the Eisenhorn approaches 40k from its less... "GRIMDARK!" side it'd be more palatable to the public. Eisenhorn isn't some raving Malleus fanatic but a pragmatic competent man who investigates and stops the ultimate evils

I disagree. I found the Eisenhorn trilogy to have as much grimdark as any BL, but it was subtly done so it wasn't LOL I SPESS INQUISITON I PURGE YA LOL. The parts where Eisenhorn deftly references his great power to scare the living hell out of people, the Ministorum maniac who follows him around, the suruthid (sp?), Cherubael (oh God-Emperor damn Cherubael...)... and so on.

Even the 'love story' has copious amounts of grimdark. One's a witch who eventually starts harnessing daemons, the other's a soulless genetic monstrosity who he can't help but be attracted to and repelled from at the same time. I suppose that's more tragedy than anything.

But on the whole, I think Eisenhorn would be an awesome way to do a 40k movie. You have the intrigues of Inquisitorial work, awesome battles on alien landscapes with the guard, the poncy spess elfs at one point, daemons, and even a few Space Marines.

Undoubtedly, however, the film will be directed by Michael Bay and feature drop-podding Space Marine armies against unbelievable tides of Orks, massive explosions, death on a planetary or systemic scale, maybe an Exterminatus or two, and so on.

Which I'd still enjoy, mind.

Archived