Inquisition, Armoured Division?

Toogeloo

Canoness and 10 Celestians with Eviscerators and Flame Templates

Priest with Eviscerator

Inquistor with Gun Servitor Retinue (2x Heavy Bolters and Plasma Cannon)

Land Raider (Celestians and Priest Hijack it)

3x Battle Sister Squads in Rhinos (Flamers and Meltaguns)

2x Imperial Guard Veterans in Chimeras (With Flamers and Meltabombs)

2x Exorcists

1x Leman Russ Squadron of 3 Tanks

Any extra points would go to upgrades and maybe an Assassin or something.

This list is like having 6 Heavy Support Vehicles, all dangerous in their own right, and all somewhat difficult to take out (Lemans being more fragile than usual), plus Chimera and Rhinos rushing with Flame Templates and what not. The Celestian Squad would be quite deadly with 3 Eviscerators and possibly a Litanies for Invul saves on a 12 girl squad.

what LRs were you thinking of using?

Well, if i could take a whole squadron, then i would take just common MBTs (no need for anything else, these will do any task anyway). But if i was taking only one, then i would consider a variant. Vanquisher would be nice, Exorchist tends to have a problem with AV14 and Land Raiders are becoming more common nowdays.

How many points that would take?

Anyway, i just wonder if that LR squadron is legal and/or if i can take variants.

I added a bit high for it, but I figured:

Canoness, Celestians, and Priest ~370 points (3 Eviscerators, Cloak, Book, Heavy Flamer, Flamer, Litanies)

Inquistor, Retinue, and Land Raider ~370 points (2 Heavy Bolters, Plasma Cannon, Standard Inquisitor Land Raider)

3x Battle Sister Squads with Rhinos ~630 points (Combiflamers, Meltaguns, Heavy Flamers, Rhinos with Smoke)

2x Veterans with Chimeras ~280 (or 340 if demolitions is taken; 3x Flamers, or maybe 2x Flamers and 1 Meltagun)

2x Exorcists ~270 points (standard loadout)

3x Leman Russ Tanks ~560 points (Standard Battle Tanks with Lascannon and Heavy Bolters)

Comes in around 2500 points (2480-2540) at guesstimated costs. There are plenty of upgrades that can be dropped (like Combis) or added depending on how the final math comes out.

If it was myself, I'd upgrade the Russ to Demolishers and strip the bolter sponsons. In my experience playing Guard, I've found that while the range is shorter, tables are generally small enough that this can be negated. The extra pip of rear armour significantly improves their survivability against Krak grenade wielding attackers while rendering them impervious to Frags, and the AP2 is invaluable (it negates feel no pain on, and makes it more of a threat to the heaviest of personal armour. With the sponsons stripped the whole group may freely drift 6" every turn offsetting the loss of range. Further the higher strength allows for penetrations of trucks and speeders on partials and the glancing of Rhinos.

This is of course based primarily on guard experience, as I've found then to historically have issues with 2+ saves whereas 3+ seems comparatively defeatable.

Depending on how you outfit your guard veterans I would give serious consideration to Harker and Bastonne. A tank hunting squad with meltaguns could get a serious edge with bring it down, or significantly improve its odds against fast skimmers and the like with save via Fire on my Target to force re-rolls. Harker brings a host of skills that may or may not be helpful but I've had some positive experiences with him and a trio of grenade launchers.

Doesn't 'Ard Boyz allow for Super Heavies or Forge World kit? Have you given consideration to those options? From what I recall reading on BoLS 'D-Plate' Reavers were the things to beat.

Allied Guard can't bring Unique characters to the Inquisition. The Demolishers however are worth a look.

I'm actually not playing Ard Boyz this year, I have to attend my Sister in Laws wedding on the same day as the Qualifiers. I am making a list so that my friends can compete against me with their lists and see how they do.

I'm actually not playing Ard Boyz this year, I have to attend my Sister in Laws wedding on the same day as the Qualifiers. I am making a list so that my friends can compete against me with their lists and see how they do.

I don't know where you are located but Comic shop plus in Newark, OH will be running the 'Ard Boyz qualifier a day late on July 12th. I am not sure why they are, but you might be able to make it to that one depending on where you live. It would be good to have 1 more person represent the Witch Hunters at 'Ard Boyz, especially here in Ohio.

As for your list, I am planning to run a list with many similar elements for 'Ard Boyz this year. However, I don't think the Landraider is that great of an idea. While they are hard to destroy, if you are gunning forward at 12 inches per round you won't be able to fire any weapons. And if you go slow enough to fire the weapons then it will take you twice as long to get your celestians into combat. Also unless the have FAQ'ed the WH again to say otherwise, don't WH Landraiders only hold 10 passengers and not 12? If so you would have to reduce your celestians down to 8. Those points for the Landraider might be better spent, on a rhino and maybe even another whole squad.

I would also like to point out that your composition does not have any fast attack FoC choices. Many of the 'Ard Boyz senarios (last year's at least) award points for destroying all of certain FoC choices of the enemy's army such as elites or fast attack. If your opponent does not have any of the FoC in question, then you get the points for destroying it automatically. This will only amount to only about 1 or 2 points out of a maximum of 24 but every little bit counts. I think this is GW way to encourage balance lists.

I live in Utah, I will have to check, but we only have 2 or 3 shops that actually host each year. The odds that the qualifier is held on Sunday after is slim.

As for the Land Raider, good catch on that. I don't think there is a FAQ for the number of passangers, but dropping 2 Celestians isn't a list killer. I like the Land Raider because it gives the Celestians the ability to Assault direct. The Land Raider can still move 12" and fire a gun using Machine Spirit, but will have to take the shot at BS2 (luckily Lascannons are Twin-linked).

So I tried this list out last night... the final list came to:

Canoness, 8 Celestians, and Priest (Blessed Weapon, Brazier, Cloak, Book, 2 Eviscerators, Heavy Flamer, Flamer, Litanies of Faith) [3 KP]

Inquistor, Retinue, and Land Raider (Bolter, 2 Heavy Bolters, Plasma Cannon, Standard Inquisitor Land Raider) [3 KP]

Callidus Assassin [1 KP]

3x Battle Sister Squads with Rhinos (Combiflamers, Meltaguns, Heavy Flamers, Rhinos with Smoke) [6 KP]

2x Veterans with Chimeras (3x Flamers, Demolitions) [4 KP]

2x Exorcists (standard loadout) [2 KP]

2x Leman Russ Demolishers (Lascannon and Heavy Bolters) [1 KP]

My opponent was playing Black Templar with:

5 Troop Choices, 1 with Land Raider, 2 with Rhinos, 2 on foot. [8 KP]

Emperor's Champion [1 KP]

Venerable Dreadnought in Drop Pod [2 KP]

Assault Termie Squad with Commander [2 KP]

2 Vindicators [2 KP]

1 more HS Land Raider [1 KP]

We ended up doing a Spearhead Annhilation game. I have 20 Kill Points in my Army to 16 in his. The game went to Turn 7 which sucked for me, we both had 11 Kill Points going out of Turn 6, he scored a 12th Kill Point, and then I gave him another Kill Point on my turn going for a 12th Kill Point of my own (My last Celestian died moving through wreckage to get to a Vindicator).

Overall, the Demolishers didn't do anything... my opponent targeted them first and tried to ensure they were gone as soon as possible, and they were done by turn 2. He also focused as much fire as he could on my Land Raider which lost weapon after weapon. He attempted to assault it with his biggest troop choice that had his Emperor Champion and a Power Fist (hoping)... I rolled up a Chimera Squad and jumped out nearby, I backed up the Land Raider and hopped the Celestian Squad out. The Chimera team was absolutely spectacular, but ended up being a Light Show. With 30 Flamer hits, and 12 Demolition hits, I wounded an incredible 33 times, 10 of which was the Demo Charge. He had 4 scouts in the squad so they took all the demo hits while the flamer hits were dispersed amongst other units that made most of the saves. I killed 6 models after all was said and done from those 33 wounds, 10 of which being AP2. The Celestians Charged after popping the Litanies to give them Spirit and rolled for Hand of the Emperor. I lost 2 girls from his side of the Assault, and he lost all but the Champion who took 7 Fearless wounds, and succumbed to unsaved wound death. He dropped his Venerable Dreadnought down next to the Celestians and targeted the Land Raider behind them with his Multi-Melta and flamed a few girls in the process, finally destroying the Land Raider and killing a Celestian. He swooped his Land Raider over to assist as well. I assaulted the Dreadnought with the Celestains and took it down easily, on the next assault I dual assaulted the Land Raider and the Drop Pod and destroyed both (gotta love the Priest).

My Losses in the fight overall:

3 Rhinos

3 Battle Sister Squads

1 Chimera

1 Veteran Squad

Callidus Assassin (died with his Termie Commander, they took each other out)

Demolisher Squadron

1 Exorcist

Land Raider

Celestian Squad Suicided (Only the Canoness and the Priest remained of that unit)

His Losses in the fight overall:

2 Rhinos

2 Troops

Emperor's Champion

Land Raider

Venerable Dreadnought

Drop Pod

Vindicator

Terminator

Terminator Commander

I won the moral victory killing off all his leadership, but lost the game overall. It was an absolute Blood bath.

Overall, the Demolishers didn't do anything... my opponent targeted them first and tried to ensure they were gone as soon as possible, and they were done by turn 2.
I would be comfortable with this result, I'd suggest that they deformed his tactics and sucked back firepower that may have neutralized other targets

Archived