My own multi-part Sisters of Battle kit

Hi there B&C'ers, been lurking a while but finally signed up to share these with you :lol:

I played in the mid 90's as a little kid but recently got back into it after an 8 year break. Started out with a bit of practice and experimentation on making a female power-armoured slaaneshi cult squad which can be found < http://forum.emperorschildren.net/viewtopic.php?t=2247 >, but i decided that building it was... unsustainable as an army. So to simplify it a bit, i figured i'd go for a smoother, less ornamented version of those same techniques on a gaming army; ie. SoB's ;) Perfect, since their metal models meant different poses on troops were a bit of a painer. The decision to return to the Imperium was also inspired in a minor part by a fantastic SoB conversion i saw somewhere based on a marine scout.

The plan is to sculpt a number of torsos based on dark eldar torsos and then reproduce them in a cast. Now before the whole IP arguement comes up, the dark eldar torsos are shaved down severely to the extent there was NOTHING recognisable on them besides the bodily proportions, and the rounded bottom for compatibility with the legs.

The legs (i've done a lot of them, havn't gotten around to taking photos), like the Slaaneshi cult, are based on the Eldar guardians... but more on them next time ;)

Anyway, enough talk. Here are the pre-pre-productions. I'm going to replicate these twice and fit them with different collars/neck detailing, giving me 10 different torsos for the final lot.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0278edit.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0279edit.jpg

With the bottom far right, i'm thinking i'll need to add a bit more detailing to the stomache area, probably replacing the lines of studs with skulls or something.

Please feel free to comment.

Also, could someone tell me how much a model needs to be converted until it can be considered 'mine' such that i can replicate it (for personal use that is, not to sell to others)?

Cheers

As far as I know, as long as you reproduce them for personal use, there is no problem, even for unaltered gw models. Just don't sell them.

However there is a fine line to be drawn. Obviously it is wrong to recast gw models en masse. (I.E. to create an army out of one combat squad box, &c...) Even if it is not a legal issue.

As far as I can see there is no intellectual property infringement, as you are not trying to pass them off as anything other than what they are. And since in the past GW hasn't had a problem with it, (there was even a white dwarf article describing how to do it), I think you are in clear.

Just make sure you take plenty of pictures and share them with us.

Cant wait to see them finished!

Very nice. I myself have been wanting to sculpt and cast my Mk II Battle Sister Power Armour designs. Though I suppose I won't hit the same legal issues due to how radically different my design is to traditional Battle Sister power armour. Anyways, I am interested on how you tackle the cloth parts. I have been thinking hard on how to get around this myself.

are u going to plan on selling these on ebay caus i would buy them if u did thery sick ;)

I would read forum rules on GW's IP before asking that openly... :rolleyes:

I think you have a really nice start. I would actually make room for gems and jewlery/necklaces with imperium icons built into them. Give it a womanly gothic warrior feel in that respect :lol:

Great job thus far. Enjoy all the noobs asking to buy casts from you. :D

Thanks for the support guys. Thanks for the suggestion re. decorations; i'm hoping the collars will give a little bit of room, as would shoulder and knee pads. Also, i plan on wrapping some very fine chain which i've bought around the belt for their Chaplets or for some around the neck... we'll see.

Anyway, will update again when i finish legs/get some photos happening. :)

I have been working on some sister conversions myself (champion of slaanesh torses) but i must say yours are looking awesome. I'm wondering though, every time people are doing SoB conversions they used Dark Elday chests...do normal female eldar chests not give the same result?

As for I.P. just don't sell them. Copyright is a funky and tricky thing. the law is something only needs to be changed 14% to become yours, however when it comes to IP it can not resemble the other companies IP product.

But you don't really need to worry about that. As long as your macking them for your army GW will more then welcome you using it. Their conversion rule for tournaments is that it has to look 90% like a GW mini. And you are 100% there so far.

I'm wondering though, every time people are doing SoB conversions they used Dark Elday chests...do normal female eldar chests not give the same result?

The reason would be the following:

- Eldar guardian torso come in 2 parts rather than a single piece, making it hader to work with

- Guardian torsos have a 'backpack' sitting on top of their shoulders, another piece which would need to be removied

- Dark eldar are in general slimmer and less armoured.

I'm not sure about other people, but for these ones, i shaved off every bit off every bit of detailing on the dark eldar torsos until it was just the proportions left and then re-sculpted new armour on them; and even then they're a bigger than an IG torso (they're about the same size as slimmer marine bodies, which is ok, given all the 'truescale' we have these days). So a more concise answer would be because it's less work, seeing as i'd have to cut and shave a lot anyway.

Wow, they say great minds think alike... I'm not sure I qualify as great, but your work's fantastic! I've got a pile of SoB'd up Dark Eldar torsos lying around, my plan was to create sillicone moulds where I could putty-cast them over a sanded-down Dark Eldar torso (and do the same for legs) so I could mass-produce them for an army but still keep them GW Tourney legal! The hardest bit I found was the shoulderpads, I wasn't sure if I should make them part of the arms or make my own "hollowed" ones... The SoB shoulders are a real pain either way due to their shape. They don't seem to move much relative to the arms, unlike the Marine ones, if that makes sense.

Also, weirdly enough I was thinking of doing a counts-as-CSM army based on Daemonette-posessed Sisters. I guess I'm not doing very well for original ideas lately...

So i finally took some photos of what i've been up to...

This was the most boring, tedious stage of the conversion. Turning eldar guardian legs into power armour legs. I've got like 25 of them but i took some pics of a few of them to give an idea of what they'd be like. Basically scraped off the eldary bits on the side of the calf and took the waist off (for ease of fitting my torsos on). Then it was a matter of sculpting plates that continued from where the guardian armour plates end around the whole leg (or until i can blend it smoothly to the inner thigh), as well as adding edges to the natural bodily joints. Plates were also added to the feet to make them more like marine power armour.

I used milliput for these as it can be sanded and scraped, which makes it easier to fix mistakes if im sculpting geometric forms like armour.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0294edit.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0293edit.jpg

I have a number of legs still on the cutting mat, some of which i'm converting to a more lady-like striding pose, and others which will have the greaves like the ones seen on the current SoB models.

Also, here's the first of several heads which i'll be making, also from milliput with eyes of greenstuff.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0296edit.jpg

Keep checking, the more heavily modelled of the legs will be up soon ;)

Haha, i plan on using a combination of my own heads and Hasselfree heads... i'm a stinge so i dont wanna buy heads for ALL the girls... that and i don't want to replicate sculpts which don't belong to me.

Just finishing up the greave wearing legs and almost halfway through the 'walking' legs. Stay posted :wub:

Hiya folks,

Time for another update... legs are done :P These might be a bit to see what's going on, but smoothened milliput will be mottled in colour so... should be a LOT clearer once they're painted or at least undercoated.

I had been meaning to post these last time since i had done them about a week ago, but in the words of the delightful Agent Smith, "More..."

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0302edit.jpg

That was the tedious part, but that's done now.

Slightly more interesting modelling in smoothing over the kneepad to make greaves, and detailing 2 of 3.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0305edit.jpg

I plan on casting these since they're annoying as to make for something so standard...

And even more interesting still...

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0307edit.jpg

I wanted a set of more feminine striding/advancing poses. The stance also make them appear taller as well :P.

Here are the first few bases i've come up with for the girls. The idea is that it's a busted up temple of some sort. Since i want more of a crusading feel for the army, instead of an Imperial shrine i'm tempted to actually make it a Chaos temple that they might've just cleared out, combined with chaos icons on the the tiles... with plenty of blood spilled on top of them of course.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu327/Twisted-Sister/IMG_0308edit.jpg

I'd love to put together a full sister just to show what the army would look like, but the basic parts arnt even ready for the construction of a full sister yet... I suppose it adds to the suspense ;)

I'm currently trying out casting methods, and after 2 failed attempts with Siligum i'm trying out milliput casting on the torsos at the moment. Will be back in a few days hopefully with a set of completed bodies.

As for shoulders, will need some suggestions. I've originally thought of altering the Undead Grave Guard pads and i've picked up a few already, but the online store which i get them from dont seem to be stocking them anymore... Do you guys reckon i should just heavily convert them and cast them? or just build a set of my own? For copyright issues (even though i'm not selling anything) i'm leaning towards the latter... which i'd suppose give more personalisation as well.

Please feel free to comment

Archived