The Promethean Fists

FireFist

• 2 years later...
Well my fellow Power Armor bearers. After a long time away and the occasional edit, I have decided to bring this back up. I am requesting feedback, comments, and any help that can be given. I hope to get this dusty project back in gear.

Ah! I see. You're saying that they have a lot of goodies but no much that would weaken them or create a sort of [can't find the right word]. Essentially they are too "perfect."

Update: Put in a new version of their insignia

Ah! I see. You're saying that they have a lot of goodies but no much that would weaken them or create a sort of [can't find the right word]. Essentially they are too "perfect."

Update: Put in a new version of their insignia

Aye, working in some characterful weakness(es) would go a long way towards...awesome.

Okay. So I have attempted to follow your advice. I added a paragraph onto the end of the intro right before Homeworld. It's about how the chapter has a lack of Librarians. Would that work?

In my opinion, all you've done is taken away librarians (which, if you stick with it, you should explain this more in its own section perhaps) and given them a much larger amounts of Techmarines (which I think is a really cool idea, them leading troops, etc), and to me that doesnt really seem like a weakness. There are pleanty of chapters out there that dont run with or run with limited psykers(due to distrust or lack of feesable recruits on their homeworld), so if you really want this to be their 'weakness' i suggest really getting into detail about how this weakens them as a whole.

A weakness in a character (or this case a Chapter) can make or break them when it comes to how the audience(Us fellow Liber's) attach to the Chapter. So a good solid weakness or weaknesses amoungst all their strengths can really pull this together imo.

Edit: Another thing I was wondering about (and im not sure if someone already asked about this) was their relationship with the Mechanicus. It seems in the beginning, and through most of the IA, you seem to put off that the Chapter is very buddy buddy with the Mechanicus, and thus get better gear straight from a Forge World(Which seems odd to me, since most Chapter Fortresses have the means to create almost every need a Chapter has outside Titans and StarShips..but its a big universe and its possible so dont be discouraged if you want it), but at the end you state that your Chapter creates non-sanctioned designs for vehicles, and that they're frowned upon by the Mechanicus for doing so.

So how can they still remain buddy-buddy with the Ad-Mechs and reap the rewards of such a relationship, but do these things that they frown upon and dont sanction? If i were the Ad-Mech, I dont think id be so willing to help and looking more towards you being a techno-heretic. ^_^

So maybe some clarifacation on that would be good for your IA.

=][=

Consider things that might have resulted from lack/loss of librarians, or why they don't have them. Has their stock of recruits simply never manifested psyker potential? Perhaps there was a destructive falling out with the original librarian, leading to a mistrust of psykers and maybe even causing a mutation in the chapter's gene-seed. Instead of having techmarines adapt technology for the librarian role, you could even make that the weakness: the contingent of techmarines is over stretched trying to take on Librarium responsibilities, and so there may be certain techs/damages they just haven't gotten to learn, translating to a lack of certain units or upgrades on the battlefield. Just some suggestions, cause that section is a good lead in.

@Inquisitor Xenthor: Wow! Never realized I had contradicted myself like that. Well you've given me much to think on. Thank you.

@Messor: that sound pretty good. I'll be sure to take it into account as I'm figuring this out. But yes i was planning on making the lack of Librarians as the weakness.

Edit/Update: Initial edits done. I just did some moving of certain portions and created a new one. Full edits will come later.

Alright here are the new sections to be added. There have also been some small things added to the other sections. Not much they reference back to the parts I'm adding. Opinions? C&C?

Technology

Due to the ingenuity and inventiveness of their tech-marines the Promethean Fists have created a number of vehicles of war. These are used solely by the Promethean Fists as the Mechanicus has not sanctioned any of the designs. The Chapter's tech-marines are constantly searching for ways to improve their machines of war, they are even known to have a tendency to fiddle with parts or impulsively improve vehicles. These marines are pulled from the natural inventors of the nomadic tribes and cities.

The Tech-marines of the Promethean Fists often are assigned to lead strike forces, assignments the tech-marines fall to with zeal as opportunities to test new configurations on vehicles and even infantry load-outs that are not always successful at first but by the end of the conflict are perfected and ready to join the final crushing strike. Even individual marines tinker with their armor in attempts to improve it. This readiness to redesign their equipment has been frowned on by the Mechanicus, though it may be hard to doubt that such new configurations have increased the effectiveness of the Chapter's fighting forces. Even with the forgeworld of Pyros Technicus as a neighboring planet, the strained relationship with the Mechanicus has forced the Promethean Fists to produce the majority of their war material.

The Librarium Technologica

Due to a practically non-existent presence of psykers the Promethean Fists have no Psychic units. Some, like the apothecaries argue that it is due to a sudden mutation in the gene-seed stocks. Others, namely the chaplains, argue that it is the Emperor's will that they have no psykers. In truth the population of Turthol have thus far only produced a small number of potential librarians. The aspirants have all died either during training or their bodies have rejected the gene-seed.

In the absence of Librarians the Chapter's core of Tech-marines has grown far larger than that of an average chapter. Their role has broadened to include the upkeep and translation of the Chapter Librarium, and the production of equipment for the chapter armory. These new tasks have greatly stretched the available tech-marines. The 'Inner Circle' of tech-marines attempted to alleviate the problem by making training in mechanics and repairs a mandatory part of the training regimen. Even so, the majority of the marines still only know how to conduct basic repairs. Any major problems still require the administrations of the full fledged tech-marines.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to a practically non-existent presence of psykers the Promethean Fists have no Psychic units. Some, like the apothecaries argue that it is due to a sudden mutation in the gene-seed stocks. Others, namely the chaplains, argue that it is the Emperor's will that they have no psykers. In truth the population of Turthol have thus far only produced a small number of potential librarians. The aspirants have all died either during training or their bodies have rejected the gene-seed.

In the absence of Librarians the Chapter's core of Tech-marines has grown far larger than that of an average chapter. Their role has broadened to include the upkeep and translation of the Chapter Librarium, and the production of equipment for the chapter armory. These new tasks have greatly stretched the available tech-marines. The 'Inner Circle' of tech-marines attempted to alleviate the problem by making training in mechanics and repairs a mandatory part of the training regimen. Even so, the majority of the marines still only know how to conduct basic repairs. Any major problems still require the administrations of the full fledged tech-marines.

Just one thought, how would your chapter communicate with the rest of the Imperium without any Librarians? One of their main jobs is interstellar communication using psychic powers to project their minds through warp space.

Just one thought, how would your chapter communicate with the rest of the Imperium without any Librarians? One of their main jobs is interstellar communication using psychic powers to project their minds through warp space.

I thought that was the job of Astropaths, aren't there official Chapter out there with no Librarium? I seem to remember something like that, but maybe I'm just confusing a DIY somewhere...

I thought that was the job of Astropaths, aren't there official Chapter out there with no Librarium? I seem to remember something like that, but maybe I'm just confusing a DIY somewhere...

I think chapters have Librarians called Epistolary, who communicate over short distances to coordinate attacks, relay orders ect ect.. but can do the same job as a Astropath as well. In older fluff the Epistolary was the cheif psychic communication officer, not sure if he still in the newer stuff.

I think chapters have Librarians called Epistolary, who communicate over short distances to coordinate attacks, relay orders ect ect.. but can do the same job as a Astropath as well. In older fluff the Epistolary was the cheif psychic communication officer, not sure if he still in the newer stuff.

Wouldn't that be why all marines have vox's in their armor? But yeah I don't know if they've changed this. From what I have gathered from reading books and codexes. For the most part librarians help with precognition and more or less dealing with all the psychic stuff. I remember in the Space Wolf books they mentioned that the Astartes used astropaths too. Thing is astropaths are specially trained for communication and directing warp travel. Librarians would normally take care of the librarius and act as battle field support.

You might be. Or your thinking Blood Ravens and some how flipping it around to where they don't have librarians. There's bound to be another chapter like that. I'm thinking something Iron Hands related.

I think i have that all right

Wouldn't that be why all marines have vox's in their armor? But yeah I don't know if they've changed this. From what I have gathered from reading books and codexes. For the most part librarians help with precognition and more or less dealing with all the psychic stuff. I remember in the Space Wolf books they mentioned that the Astartes used astropaths too. Thing is astropaths are specially trained for communication and directing warp travel. Librarians would normally take care of the librarius and act as battle field support.

I found this on the Lexicanum about him, Epistolary , his primary role is still chief communications officer. I would read this as well , Librarian , it still says under role that interstellar communication is one of their duties. But like I said it could have changed now that could just relate to older fluff... :)

P.s.

Its the Black Templars that don't use them, I think they use astropaths, so your chapter could get away without having any Librarians, so forget I said anything :)

So a Chapter can get along without Librarians? I don't know much about the Black Templars except that they're over strength, so....it can't be a huge detriment besides the obvious no psychic backup.

So a Chapter can get along without Librarians? I don't know much about the Black Templars except that they're over strength, so....it can't be a huge detriment besides the obvious no psychic backup.

As far as i remember, BT's hate and mistrust all psykers and refuse to fight along side them. But they still use Astropaths and Navigators because they have to, not that they want to. So I'd say is possible, but they would be reliant on the Adeptus Astra Telepathica to keep them supplied if they all get killed. Librarians are said to be able to predict enemy movements and psychic communications would be harder to hack than a comm-link, nothing detrimental but don't underestimate how powerful Librarians are, take a look at Varro Tigurius. :P

Oh, for sure, and much respect, Firefist, for taking that approach. I can't imagine that's an easy path for a Chapter that would use psykers if it could. I don't think I could get by without them.

Archived