Kapturowskis Death Guard & World Eaters [Update 1 Mar]

Built two more Plague Marines, one with a Plasma Gun and a Champion. They are a bit taller than their fellow Marines with standard Chaos Space Marine legs which is nice.

gallery_28439_5581_13104.jpg

gallery_28439_5581_22207.jpg

Finished the shoulder pads for my Terminator.

gallery_28439_5581_18021.jpg

gallery_28439_5581_19161.jpg

gallery_28439_5581_2064.jpg

@ GooseDaMoose & xscottfergox

Thanks!

@ MagicMan

:(

@ Bloodmange

Yeah, I'm starting to entertain that idea too.

@ vezok the annihilator

Sure, I'll see what I can come up with. :)

DEATH GUARD PAINTING TUTORIAL

Pt. 1: Armour

Here's how I paint my Death Guard. The technique I use is mostly drybrushing and washes since it allows me to paint my models quicker while also enabling me to get a zenithal lighting effect that would be either quite time consuming to achieve with blending or require the use of a airbrush.

The photos are snapped at my workspace so the colours are somewhat off but I hope it will be helpful anyway.

gallery_28439_5653_37147.jpg

The mini is basecoated with two thin coats of Adeptus Battlegrey and then all armour parts are given two thin coats of Catachan Green.

gallery_28439_5653_55917.jpg

A generous drybrush with a 50/50 mix of Catachan Green and Golden Yellow is brushed onto all armour parts. This is to bring in some overall definition so I don't pay any particular attention to my imagined lightsource.

gallery_28439_5653_24032.jpg

This time around the drybrushing is applied with the lightsource in mind. In this case the lightsource comes from the top-front where the model is facing. I try to be as careful as possible when drybrushing from now on and make sure that there is very little paint on the brush.

gallery_28439_5653_54360.jpg

Pure Rotting Flesh is drybrushed towards the top and those areas of the model that would receive the most light.

gallery_28439_5653_10268.jpg

With heavily thinned down Rotting Flesh I paint some highlights to the most prominent sections and where armour plates overlap.

gallery_28439_5653_66784.jpg

The entire mini is washed with some very thinned down Vermin Brown.

gallery_28439_5653_13141.jpg

Thinned Scorched Brown is washed into recesses and any nooks and crannys.

gallery_28439_5653_17513.jpg

Again, thinned Rotting Flesh is used to tighlight the most prominent areas, mainly the helmet and upper torso. Thinned Vermin Brown is used to bring back highlights that are to bright or blend them into the surrounding colour.

That is the end of part one.

@ Neth_Oni & Captain Mick

Thanks!

DEATH GUARD PAINTING TUTORIAL

Pt. 2: Battle Damage & Rust

gallery_28439_5653_68465.jpg

I use a sponge to give the damage some randomness.

gallery_28439_5653_34356.jpg

The scratches are highlighted with Rotting Flesh.

gallery_28439_5653_32331.jpg

All metal areas are basecoated with Scorched Brown.

gallery_28439_5653_1886.jpg

Time to start highlighting.

gallery_28439_5653_3473.jpg

gallery_28439_5653_1670.jpg

gallery_28439_5653_69342.jpg

Awsome death guard! The FW kit bash looks damn nice but a wee bit expensive for me, but I must say that I love that someone is doing these ^_^ I really like the additions you have done with plasticcart as well as the special pattern bolters.

The painting tutorial is very helpful, I will save this :D

Cheers man and thanks for sharing

Thanks everybody, I'm glad you like it. ^_^

@ Animerik

Tell me about it... :P But now that I've started using these parts I think I will have to continue doing so. Looking at the Death Guard upgrade kit, four of the torsos have a Mk V style, so I'm planning to buy some of those armour kits for my next batch. But I should really concentrate on painting what I've already got before buying more stuff.

@ Lord Ragnarok

They're from Forge Worlds Mk III armour kit, the Iron Armour.

Finished the Plague Marine from the tutorial and based the others. I'm going with a snow base to match my Space Wolves.

gallery_28439_5581_38569.jpg

I've lengthened the latest batch a bit more than the previous. This was not entirely intentional but I think the Forge world legs have more upright stances. Here's a side by side comparison:

gallery_28439_5581_45442.jpg

Damn nice, the finished piece look really good with the OSL, However the orange could be a bit brighter, as it is a bit to close to the rust tone IMO. Some slushy snow around the boot section would be cool ,as well as some pigments on the rust to get it extra crusty. But that is just nitpicking, as I said, wonderfully painted and built PMs

You make papa proud :huh:

Cheers mate and I'm looking forward to see some more *hint hint

Thanks everybody, I'm glad you like it. :D

@ Animerik

Tell me about it... :P But now that I've started using these parts I think I will have to continue doing so. Looking at the Death Guard upgrade kit, four of the torsos have a Mk V style, so I'm planning to buy some of those armour kits for my next batch. But I should really concentrate on painting what I've already got before buying more stuff.

@ Lord Ragnarok

They're from Forge Worlds Mk III armour kit, the Iron Armour.

Hmmmmm I'm having visions of ripping off the current chaos legs on my plague marines.

Just read through the topic, must say absolutely fantastic work mate. The sculpting and conversion work is great. I really like the idea of using the Death guard conversion pack with the older armour kits as well:)

Thanks for the tutorial, I'll definitely be looking at it when I update my plague marine squad

looking forward to seeing more of these guys <_<

• 7 months later...

Started working on my Terminators. I don't like the sunken head on this torso so I replaced it with a head from the Empire Flagellants, I'll add some stuff to Nurglify it. I've also added studs to his right leg to make the armour look a bit more antique and lengthened him at the waist. I've sculpted some belly armour to hide the gap but the belly hangs a bit to low, I will try something slightly different on the next one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/kapturowski/b316772b.jpg

Awesome models. I am quite blown away, actually. Usually PMs seems so... well, slimey and not very natural. Your guys seem perfect, however, old, rusty, damaged AND nurlich :lol: Love it

- Nat

This, basically. Couldn't have said it better myself. And thanks very much for the tutorial, this sort of thing is so valuable to the community. Good stuff.

Great log, kapturowski! It's nice to see someone else using the FW Pre-Heresy parts with the Death Guard kits, it definitely adds a aura or history to them. Perhaps you could explain how you did their lenses, I love that color and would like to know more about it. Again, great job so far!

Archived