IA: The Red Lords

Ace Debonair

"Extremely reliant" has the wrong connotations - Well, I think so anyway.

I suppose it does. I just wanted to stress the sitting-back-and-enjoying-the-fireworks nature of their strategy. :lol:

Random Thought: Anyone else think I should get a prize for consistently B&Cs top poster? Or should I just get a life? :lol:

Would the latter do as a prize for the former? :P

Actually, in Epic, lots of Whirlwinds would be one of the ways to give the Marines some of their normally absurdly lacking long-range capability. Not many people seem to do it, but it is an option. It's that or mounting up in Gunships.

It is pretty central to the character of the Red Lords, it's true. However, I haven't the faintest notion on how to expand it. What do you think is missing from this section?

Good question.

Explain their pride in Corax - how does Corax demonstrate their ideals, maybe?

What does purity really mean to them? Thought? Word? Deed? Genetics?

How has this whole "no deviation" thing affected their recruitment practices? I could see them being very heavy on the hypno-conditioning etc. Have they become more and more tactically limited in response? If not, why not?

Have they kept the overeagerness of their early days at all?

Stuff like that. Minor stuff, but it gives depth.

Actually, in Epic, lots of Whirlwinds would be one of the ways to give the Marines some of their normally absurdly lacking long-range capability. Not many people seem to do it, but it is an option. It's that or mounting up in Gunships.

Aha, a niche to fill! :lol:

Explain their pride in Corax - how does Corax demonstrate their ideals, maybe?

What does purity really mean to them? Thought? Word? Deed? Genetics?

Hah, I've backed myself up into a corner here. In my brain, Corax does not really represent purity in any way. This will require use of the thinking-cap.

How has this whole "no deviation" thing affected their recruitment practices? I could see them being very heavy on the hypno-conditioning etc. Have they become more and more tactically limited in response? If not, why not?

You bet they have - that'd be another reason to artillery everything into pieces. I'm thinking of having them as slightly less quick to adapt than other chapters rather than having them worse at fighting, meaning well-planned surprise attacks against the Red Lords often inflict fairly heavy losses.

Have they kept the overeagerness of their early days at all?

Stuff like that. Minor stuff, but it gives depth.

You know, I think they probably have, even if the role they see themselves as playing has changed. A good point.

Hey, If I only have minor stuff to add,at least it means I'm out/nearly out of the major-overhaul-needed territory. :lol:

I'd update these guys right now if it hadn't just gone midnight. We'll see what can be done in the next few days or so.

In my brain, Corax does not really represent purity in any way. This will require use of the thinking-cap.

The Raven Guard hardly represent any mutation beyond albinism. You can make some point about Corax's experiments after the Drop Site Massacre, stating why the Red Lords only take the best and take care in all of their recruits.

The Raven Guard have at least one non-functioning organ, have difficulty getting recruits to survive, and often have to ask the Adeptus Mechanicus for geneseed from Terra.

They're not doing so hot...

Perhaps I could have the Red Lords dismiss the broken organs as unneccesary, and say that their geneseed roots out the unworthy more effectively than other geneseeds. ;)

Any views on this idea? :lol:

Perhaps I could have the Red Lords dismiss the broken organs as unneccesary, and say that their geneseed roots out the unworthy more effectively than other geneseeds. :)

Any views on this idea? ;)

Genetic purity is subjective - Do the loss of the organs counteract the ability of the Red Lords to make war?

Also, just because I thought of it just now, or maybe stole it, you can have the line "War is our temple".

My mistake, there are a couple mutations beyond albinism, but to quote Lexicanum:

Raven Guard Appearance:

The degeneration of the Raven Guard gene-seed means several of the unique organs of the Space Marines no longer work properly or no longer grow. Raven Guard do not have the Mucranoid or Betcher's Gland. The Melanchromic Organ has a unique mutation that causes the skin of the Space Marine to grow paler. Eventually each Marine's skin becomes pure white while their hair and eyes darken, becoming black as coal.

On their history, following the Drop Site Massacre:

The Raven Guard were all but annihilated in the Drop Site Massacre during the Horus Heresy, the battle of Isstvan V reducing the legion's strength from some 80,000 astartes to less than 3,000. It is rumoured that Corax used cloning technology to replenish the Chapter's numbers. Many of these clones resulted in degenerated and inhuman creatures. Being so depleted in strength the Legion was forced to put these monsters into combat, where they proved brutally efficient.

On Recruitment:

Owing to the instability of the Raven Guard gene-seed and the experiments of Corax, much of the chapter's genetic stock has been irreparably damaged. Now, much of their genetic material comes from supplies held on Terra. This means the cycle of recruitment for the Raven Guard is much slower than other Chapters and fewer Raven Guard candidates for the Chapter prove able to survive their training and genetic modification. This means the chapter is constantly short-handed.

Following the difficulty in producing new recruits and the Red Lords already strict recruitment process, the Red Lords are going to be extremely small, kind of justifying the armor.

The mutations could be answered with a line akin to the Imperial Fist Chaplain "We do not need to spit acid or hibernate, etc.!"

You quoted Lexicanum? Poor fool... :D

Steady on, pal. That's KingHongKong you're talking about there. He's got an IA in the Librarium, which is more than I can say for myself.

Genetic purity is subjective - Do the loss of the organs counteract the ability of the Red Lords to make war?

I don't really know if they do or not. My Marine Biology (EDIT: not the kind with the fishes, the far-future kind) is not so good.

But even if they do cause hinderance, The Red Lords probably don't think they do.

Following the difficulty in producing new recruits and the Red Lords already strict recruitment process, the Red Lords are going to be extremely small, kind of justifying the armor.

The mutations could be answered with a line akin to the Imperial Fist Chaplain "We do not need to spit acid or hibernate, etc.!"

True. I've presently got them down as roughly 800 marines, but on that evidence maybe less would be better.

Perhaps I could have the Red Lords dismiss the broken organs as unneccesary, and say that their geneseed roots out the unworthy more effectively than other geneseeds.

I quite like this idea I had, but I don't want to put it in only for everyone else to think it stupid. Anyone else think it's a good idea? :D

You quoted Lexicanum? Poor fool... :D

Steady on, pal. That's KingHongKong you're talking about there. He's got an IA in the Librarium, which is more than I can say for myself.

Not only am I very steady, I've even read it... My point, in a more joking fashion, was that Lexicanum can be a dangerous thing to quote given its often radical inaccuracies :D

I'm also amused that you had to quantify "Marine biology" :P

You quoted Lexicanum? Poor fool... :P

Not only am I very steady, I've even read it... My point, in a more joking fashion, was that Lexicanum can be a dangerous thing to quote given its often radical inaccuracies :(

It's hard to be sure sometimes, what with text having no expression or tone to read. My apologies for misinterpreting your words. Generally KHK is on the ball with his advice and stuff, so if he sees fit to quote something from Lexicanum, the stock of the whole damn site rises in my eyes. <_<

I'm also amused that you had to quantify "Marine biology" :P

;) Me too. Reckon once I've sorted out the Stonebound (at least a rough draft thereof) I'll sprinkle a bit more arrogance and spice into the Red Lords' beliefs.

Secretly I wish to murder and claim the identity of many Liberites so that I can say I have a Chapter in the Librarium.. Then common sense takes over ;)

I'm hard pressed at the moment to pick which of the two Chapters I prefer, to be honest.. i'm impressed with your ability to keep up with both you son of a... <_<

You quoted Lexicanum? Poor fool... :P

Why thank you, Ace.

Hell, at this rate, you'll get two of them there before I even finish everything I want to do with the Death Heads.

But, usually the tongue smiley indicates a little poke :lol: (<-- or that one if you're more frank, like me)

It's hard to be sure sometimes, what with text having no expression or tone to read. My apologies for misinterpreting your words. Generally KHK is on the ball with his advice and stuff, so if he sees fit to quote something from Lexicanum, the stock of the whole damn site rises in my eyes.

Generally speaking, Lexicanum is like any other online encyclopedia, it has valid information along with fan interpretation.

I'm working within the boundaries of limited resources (no Codex, no rulebook, some 40k "literature") and the viewpoints of more informed individuals, notably Octavulg.

Raven Guard do not have the Mucranoid or Betcher's Gland.

On Astartes Biology ( ;) ):

Back to Lexicanum:

Mucranoid: This implant allows a Space Marine to sweat a substance that coats the skin and offers resistance to extreme heat and cold and can even provide some protection for the marine in a vacuum. This can only be activated by outside treatment, and is common when Space Marines are expected to be fighting in vacuum.

Betcher's Gland: Consists of two identical glands, implanted either into the lower lip, alongside the salivary glands or into the hard palette. The gland works in a similar way to the poison gland of venomous reptiles by synthesizing and storing deadly poison, which the Marines themselves are immune to due to the gland's presence. This allows a Space Marine to spit a blinding contact poison. The poison is also corrosive and can even burn away strong metals given sufficient time.

And obviously, the Melanochrome affects the Marine's skin tone.

So, unless the Red Lords are tracking someone, imprisoned, or fighting in the void of space, they should be fine.

Fighting in Space naked.

I suspect that particualr method of inspiring terror into the enemy might serve another chapter better. :lol:

On Astartes Biology

Touché, sir.

Secretly I wish to murder and claim the identity of many Liberites so that I can say I have a Chapter in the Librarium.. Then common sense takes over.

I'm hard pressed at the moment to pick which of the two Chapters I prefer, to be honest.. i'm impressed with your ability to keep up with both you son of a...

There's a plan... I mean, shame on you, plotting to kill your battle-brothers. :lol:

I take it by the two chapters you mean the Stonebound and the Red Lords? Right now I like the Red Lords more, because I don't have to re-write them in the next few days. :huh:

By next week, though... who knows?

As far as keeping up with both chapters... I also have the Infinity Knights to work on, then an IT and two more IAs to put together. I'm willing to wait before I do any of them though, or I am going to be so busy. :o

EDIT: Forgot the whole point of the post. One the Stonebound are closer to sorted, I'll work some extra-potent arrogance into the beliefs on these guys and see how it goes.

I suspect that particualr method of inspiring terror into the enemy might serve another chapter better.

Like Angry Marines? :devil:

I take it by the two chapters you mean the Stonebound and the Red Lords?

No, I mean the Infinity Knights and the Red Lords. Get your priorities straight boy! :devil:

No, I mean the Infinity Knights and the Red Lords. Get your priorities straight boy! :wub:

You didn't say anything about 'two chapters' in the first place, KHK. :huh:

I'll take another look at the IK once I've got my mind around the changes I need to make for the Stonebound. And a quick Red Lord update.

I rwnd to forget the Infinity Knights, due to pangs of jealousy when I consider the Gehenna Campaign!

Sorry? :lol:

The best part about having a potential five chapters to my name is that should any other campaigns show up, I'll have a chapter to join it. :P

I tend to forget the Infinity Knights, due to pangs of jealousy when I consider the Gehenna Campaign!

Sorry? :lol:

The best part about having a potential five chapters to my name is that should any other campaigns show up, I'll have a chapter to join it. :P

'Oddly', I have an idea for a Red Lords artillery campaign, alongside the Iron Angels :wub:

If you'd like a nice close combat chapter to fight along side, may I suggest the Lions of Caliban ... though I wouldn't get to close to them if I were you.

Er, I'm not putting a campaign together myself. I have enough on my plate right now, I think.

But thanks for the offer. :P

CJJ, feel free to include the Red Lords in your wacky idea.

Try not to kill them all if you can avoid it though. :lol:

Archived