Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nestir V AoD - In between R2B2 and R2B3 story.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
101 replies to this topic

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Well, I promised you an in-between story to fill the time-gap between R2B2 and R2B3, which is currently being written.
Im still working on parts of the in-between battle, as it spans a long time gap, but I also have a lot done.
So starting today I will present a new part every day until it is done and we move on to the Third Battle of Round Two.
Here we go:

---------------------------------

Captain Holus was still lost in the icy wastelands and he had been walking for days on end accompanied by nothing but white ground, a white sky and even more white in the form of fog and snow.
It appeared that there was no real day to night cycle here, so he was uncertain of exactly how long he had been walking and he no longer cared to ask his power armour's onboard machine-spirit.
Maps made no sense, but considering the constant gloomy daylight, he surmised he was somewhere along the north or south pole of Nestir V, so that at least should put him near one of the planet's Hive Cities.

Of one thing he was certain at least. - That being, that he had been lost for months.
At times he thought it a wonder he hadn't gone insane in this desolate place, at other times he was certain he had.
Even more strange was the fact that he still kept going, despite having nothing but recycled nutrients and water to go on.
His strength was pretty well maintained considering his situation, though he did occasionally feel a pang of weakness, dizziness and disorientation. - At times like that, he felt utterly famished and found he needed much more sleep than even a normal human ever should, let alone a powerful Astartes warrior.

He had continued to try and hunt the massive, shaggy beasts he occasionally saw in the distance, but somehow they were always too far away; playing hide and seek with him in the snowy fog of the horizon.
He had even tried melting snow a few times, but the water always seemed to elude him, and while he never took his helmet off for fear of the extreme temperatures outside, he did in the very least have access to a healthy supply of external, breathable air.

But despite his predicament and seeming solitude, he was not alone.
From time to time he could see ghostly figures in the distance, and just yesterday he had seen a legion of such ghostly apparitions, walking, or seemingly floating over the snowy fields, far below in a valley.
All of them had been going the same way, so Holus had decided to follow them, but their speed had been to great for him to keep up with and they never seemed to tire.
Then as what could pass for morning arrived, he lost them in a snow storm.
Still, Holus had not given up. He had continued in the same direction he had been going and after about an hour of walking, he was greeted by the translucent, ghostly visage of the same Eldar he had seen a few times earlier.

The Eldar looked straight at him from some distance, then waved for him to follow.
Tired of searching for any sign of life in this white hell, Holus followed.
The Eldar-like creature always stayed well out of his reach, and occasionally he, she or it, seemed to disappear on the horizon, only to appear again as Holus approached, seemingly waiting with infinite patience.

Then after nearly a full day of following the Eldar-like spirit-creature, Holus came to a hill so steep and tall that it could almost be called a mountain.
Weary and with heavy steps he walked, climbed and crawled up the white hill, slouching up the fields of deep powder-snow.
Holus was exhausted, but as he took the last few steps over the top of the hill, his hearts were filled with joy and he felt the pain and exhaustion of weeks leave his body, for before him rose the most beautiful city he had ever seen.
The city seemed to be a Hive city, rising from the valley floor below, to almost the same hight as this small mountain.
It seemed to be made out of clear crystal or ice, with sharp towers protruding into the sky and every part of it seemed to be glowing with a beautiful, inner blue-white, green and torqiose light; fluctuating, flowing and shifting like the Aurora Borealis in a night-time sky.
The sight was incredible, but not just because of its perceived beauty, but also due to the beauty of what it meant. - Civilization at last!
Holus dragged his eyes away from the majesty of that city for a moment to look about for the Eldar creature that had lead him here. He wanted to thank him, or it, or whatever it was, but the creature had gone and Holus was left to bask in the light of salvation. - It was not long before he started walking towards it.

+ + + +

---------------------------------

More tomorrow.
Stay tuned!
CMG

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 14 August 2009 - 03:42 AM.

New-GA-hotlink-banner-190511.jpg

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,794 posts
The plot thickens...

Cambrius

gallery_26154_15777_7413.png sml_gallery_81492_11492_822.pngjHkptLG.png]gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_48988_10069_2782.png gallery_48988_11572_5225.pnggallery_48988_15094_15503.png

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Indeed!
Ok, here is the next part as promised.
Not sure if I will be able to post anything up tomorrow as Im going away for a little while tomorrow.
Anyway, enjoy this part! :tu:

-----------------------------------

Adramalech awoke as if someone had just jump started his form and his heart raced when he bolted upright on top of his crystalline bed.
He blinked his eyes and felt the ache of a body that has been laying suspended for far too long.
He was still in his commanders tent, but he could hear gunfire near by.
Even closer than that, was Yana Orkan.
The Eldar was alone with him and did not wear his disguise. - He looked worried and strangely tired.
Adramalech fixed him with a questioning stare and flung his stiff legs over the side off the bed to feel a dull ache in his back.
Yana reacted to the shuffling sound and spun around to lay eyes upon his master.

"Mi Lord!", he began and took a step towards the huge, white skinned giant, but stopped when Adramalech held up a hand and seemed to question the unruly gunfire that could be heard from the outside.
"The men... - Restless they have been, ever since the missiles and projectiles came through the portals to kill many of their numbers", he told Adramalech, and the giant of a man nodded, rubbing his neck before getting back to his feet.
"Later, rebel they did", Yana continued.
"After the portals collapsed, say we use them as not but tools their self proclaimed leaders did. - Believe they have no purpose with us, but to die, says they".

Adramalech nodded in understanding and felt his throat constrict as he cleared it.
"How long?", he asked.
"Over two days you slept", Yana answered, rushing to his master's side, presenting a cup of tea.
Adramalech greedily drank it down.
"And the Astartes?", asked Adramalech, feeling his throat clear up a bit.
"Understand that sacrifice is necessary they do. - Still with us they are", Yana answered.
"Fight the rebellion some do as well. - As do the Ulefenhedner. Activated the forcefield generators have I".
"Good!", said Adramalech again clearing his throat.
He felt famished and walked over to the food table to greedily rip a fried chicken and some bread apart.
"And the Hrud?", he asked while chewing heavily.
"Loyal to you as always they are", answered Yana.
"Most of them were away when rebellion begin it did; most of them away they still be".
Adramalech nodded again. "And how come you have not yet struck this rebellion down?", he asked, still eating.
Yana looked almost hurt. "Struck many down have we, but civil war out there it be.
The rebels, locked themselves away they have. Using caves and bottlenecks as cover, so hard to reach they be.
Some be hidden among the men still loyal. Some break out to try and attack this place, like now. - And fight with the desperation of dead men, do they.
More men sent against them to fight and die, turn disloyal they do. - Join the ranks of the enemy".
Adramalech nodded in understanding again, having finished a whole chicken already
"And why have not my Astartes forces simply put down this rebellion?", he asked.

Yana looked almost disgusted. "Astartes. More fighting they should do, but in large, most see this as their problem they do not.
Why risk their own warriors, says they, when regular soldiers can do the dying".
Yana shook his head. "Even with the Astartes on our side, the rebels over six hundred they be. Well armed, well equipped and well bunkered up they be. - Well planned this move was".
Adramalech nodded again and chomped down large pieces of bread with gulps of tea from a huge mug.
Yana looked upon his master with worry. "Eat so fast after days without nourishment you should not", he said. - "Sick you will be".
Adramalech simply shook his head. "I will be all right", he said. - "After so many thousands of years I know my limitations".
Yana accepted that, but still had his doubts.
"What of Everkill?", asked Adramalech. - "He seems to question my every move. - Is he still with us?".

"Everkill, while still loyal he be, the main reason why so many Astartes stand down, he be also", Yana continued.
"Why fight when we have soldiers and the mighty Adramalech?, says he. - Should not the sleeping giant be able to set this right himself?, he taunts".
Adramalech finally stopped eating and wiped his hands on a cloth.
"Right!", Adramalech said feeling anger well up within him.
"Captain Everkill is right!", he continued, seemingly talking to himself; his gruff voice filled with irritation.
"It is my responsibility to set this situation right. - The psychic exertions of the last battle took more out off me than it should. - Maintaining our non-detection shield, our defences, mind control, the gateways and the attack upon the enemy. - It all taxed me. - But now the sleeping giant has slept long enough!", he concluded, affixing his helmet before nodding to Yana Orkan.
The lithe Eldar brought Adramalech his weapons, seemingly morphing from Eldar to human as he did.
Adramalech pulled his heavy, lightning clawed gauntlets on and affixed them to his blood red armour. Ready at last, he marched upon the exit.

+ + + +

Adramalech stepped outside his tent to look upon the chaos that was their secret hideout.
To one side of the cave, was a huge pile of bodies and not to far off hundreds of men were fighting each-other.
Lasfire pelted the area around the commanders tent, but the force fields kept the puny shots at bay.
Nearby a small group of soldiers were caught up in brutal close combat and Adramalech's Ulfenhedner were having a field day ripping them apart.
One rebel soldier saw Adramalech stepping out of the tent and immediately emptied his magazine towards him, but the force field in the area swallowed the energy with ease.
Adramalech lifted an eyebrow inquisitorially, then promptly broke the man's neck with the tiniest inkling of psychic force.

The majority of the force still loyal to Adramalech, had moved into the relative safe cover that was behind the ridge of the commander's tent, within the huge cave "city".
In front of the tent however, was a thin defensive line, Ulfenhedner and even a small force of Astartes warriors seeming to have fun within the brutal and bloody melee.
The Astartes were Cryus Crom's men, Adramalech realised.

To one side, within the forcefield, stood three of Adramalech's Captains. Aedan Radek, Belial Neigorath and Apoc Everkill.
They stood with arms crossed and followed the conflict out there, but every now and then they glanced Adramalech's way, obviously expectant of how the Chaos Lord would tackle this situation.
Adramalech surmised there may be as much as two hundred rebels currently fighting his men from a makeshift trench and cover line out there.
Some of them were up on the ground itself while fighting his people, others were firing their weapons and these even had some help from the cave entrances further back in the huge cavern, he saw, guessing, that was where most of the rebels were hiding.

"Most of the traitors, hiding within those cave they be", Yana Orkan said from Adramalech's side, pointing towards the cave entrances.
"Every now and then they make a plea to get to leave for the surface, or a make a desperate push to break through. - But we always stop them", Captain Sauel, the Apostle of Luther, interjected.
The Astartes Captain had walked over to stand beside Adramalech now that he was out of his tent.
"This is the largest offensive so far however", he concluded.
Adramalech nodded in understanding, then he took a single step forward and lifted his arms in speech as if to draw the attention of everyone within the cave.
Somehow it actually worked and the charismatic Word Bearer lifted his voice in a bellows of basso
words that carried throughout the cavern.
"Men of Nestir, hear me!", he said with conviction, and somehow everyone present did.

"To those of you who find yourself fighting me and my forces now, but wish you did not have to.
For those of you who are simply afraid and find yourself on the wrong side, I offer amnesty".
Adramalech could feel some of the tension drain from the cavern, as if though his words were magic; and off course, to some extent they were.

"I came before you as a saviour!", he continued.
"You would see your people free from the oppression of the Imperium. - Well, some will find themselves unworthy of such an existence, but I still believe in you and I never said there would be no dying.
You knew from the start that you would have to fight for your freedom and maybe even die for the freedom of your families.
But all the more, you are martyrs to your cause, and for those of you who live to see the end of this war, you will stand as shining examples and heroes, all! - Serving in the glorious light of a thankful god!"
At that a low murmured mumbling filled the cavern and the Astartes Captains at Adramalech's side nervously shifted heir stance at such a bold remark, fearing that somehow this overconfident Word Bearer may try to call upon the attention of the Greater Powers themselves.

Adramalech however, seemingly unaffected, continued.
"I do not wish to be cruel and I need you all to stand with me", he said.
"You are not tools to me, you are heroes and saviours. What interest could I possibly have to see you dead, when I need you all alive? - Yet all who lay down their lives for the greater cause, all who are true to faith in our cause, shall be resurrected and find great prosperity and happiness once our task is done. - Together we can do this! Together we can free this world!"

Adramalech could feel the hearts of the majority of his men soar, but he could also feel that he was loosing his grip of interest on some.
"I know many of you who now stand opposed to me do so out of fear and necessity", he continued.
"But fear no more, for your time is at hand. Walk forward now and come back into the fold. You will not be harmed! - You will be accepted, and your enemies will be struck down!"
With that, Adramalech could feel the minds of many among the Rebels turn. They dropped their weapons and walked forward, some even exiting the safety of their caverns and bunker constructs.
But even more among them turned to anger, the spell broken and Adramalech now knew who he still could trust and who he would have to kill.

With infinite strain to his psychic abilities, Adramalech stretched his mind and protected those who had laid low their weapons, just as he had promised.
When the rebels that had not been swayed tried to strike down those among them that had been turned against them, they found that those who had surrendered stood unharmed and a second later golden light filled the chamber in more than sixty locations as Adramalech teleported those of his subjects still loyal to him, to safety near his tent.

With no more human reinforcements coming, Adramalech needed as much of his army as possible alive and loyal, and this act would help preserve those he could still trust to fight loyally.
Furthermore, his Messiah-like forgiveness and protection could only serve to convince the rest of his army that they really did mean something to him; that they were not mere meat-puppets to be used as tools. - Even if that was exactly what they were.
The rest, those who did not stay loyal, would be made a stark example off.
having completed his protective teleportation, Adramalech could feel a shift in the temper and perception of those men still loyal to him.
It was as if though they had seen their saviour once more and found a renewed faith.
For the rebels it was the exact opposite. They had seen the allure of the Warp and felt disgusted with it. They repulsed and rebelled, against it.
Again Adramalech bent reality to his will and the remaining rebels in the open suddenly started pointing their weapons at each-other.
Their pained movements were clearly against their own will, but they carried them out anyway and with weapons pointed at friends and brothers, they fired.

Throughout the cavern, desperate fighting broke out once again as the rebels rushed forward from their caves in a single, last and desperate push for freedom.
Yet over the din of this battle, Adramalech's voice carried a clear message straight into the minds of his raptured and still loyal soldiers.
"Kill them! - Kill them all!"
As Adramalech retreated once more to the confines of his tent, the battle outside turned into a bloody massacre.

+ + + +

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Ok, so not going away today after all. - It will be monday instead.
So you get another story bit now, but probably not on monday.
here you go:

--------------------------------------

Commander Iniel Bannister stood in the tallest tower of a desecrated Imperial cathedral, where a beautifully ornamented lead-glass window bathed his pearly white Mark 8 armour in flickering orange light, as if though his armour was made out of gold and fire.
"So you have chosen death", the Chaos Marine in front of him remarked, and it was clear the two of them had been fighting for quite some time.

"Chosen death?", Bannister answered.
"Many that live deserve death, and some die that deserve life. Is it truly within your power to grant life or death? - Can you truly choose it? - For I know I certainly cannot. - So Chosen Death?", Bannister shook his head wearily. "- No... I cannot choose it. - There is but one Lord of life and death, only one who can bend it to his will. - He is known as the Emperor, and while he is my lord and master, he does not share that power. - What happens will happen. - His will be done!".
The Chaos Marine looked utterly bored. "Well I have the freedom of choice!", he said, and with his next attack, he sent Bannister flying through the beautiful glass window at his back. - "So I choose Death!", he said, and the Chaos Marine's laughter echoed of the cathedral's walls as Bannister fell away from him.

In slow motion, Bannisters world shattered and he fell away in an angel's flight, soaring away among ornamentally coloured glass that spun and drifted, reflecting the light all around him.
Bannister thought it beautiful and a warm feeling embraced him as he fell away from the Chaos Marine. - Symbolically falling away from the temptation of Chaos.
Then, as a particularly large glass shard spun slowly, almost lazily around to show him its ornamented side, he found himself looking upon the face of the almighty Emperor. Superimposed on the painted lead glass face, Bannister could see his own. - His own face reflected upon that of the Emperor's, and he thought it good.

"Bannister!", a far away voice could be heard, as if in an echo. - The voice brought pain.
"Bannister!", came the voice again, and then the world suddenly spun away, out of control, far too fast.
Bannister felt a short pain as something pierced his spine and opened his body.
"Bannister!", came the voice once more, much stronger now, and Commander Bannister was ripped from his reverie.

He looked down upon the worried form of Captain Morg of the Sons of Medusa, laying bandaged in bed within the infirmary of the Legio Battlebarge Bloodied Scion, and Bannister realized it had all been a dream. - Or more a combination between dream and remembered fact.
Bannister seemed to sigh. Partly due to relief, partly due to sadness.

"What is it?", Morg asked, still seeming worried. "What is it you remember?".
Bannister suddenly saw a mental image of himself, laying sprawled and dead upon the pure white snow of Nestir V, blood pooling out at his sides, stretching out and upwards like crimson angel wings. - Then the vision was gone from him.
Bannister tried to smile reassuringly, but within his Dreadnought body, he found he could not.
Instead he simply said "Nothing, old friend. Nothing!".
Morg still looked concerned, he did not seem entirely convinced, but at least he seemed to relax more.

"Well, here you are, all awake and I am lost in thought", Bannister said. - "How rude of me!"
Morg smiled, but winced in pain as one of his wounds told him not to be so hasty with all the movement.
"How are you feeling?", Bannister asked and Morg seemed thoughtful.
"Battered and bruised, but I will live", he said.
"I'm more worried about her", he continued and looked over at the bed next to him, where General Storm Hawkin Frost lay bandaged and still unconscious; two Guards bearing Inquisitorial markings standing to stiff attention on either side of her bed's head-side.

The two men stood with their backs towards the wall and were absolutely still. Bannister almost thought they might be statues.
"She will be fine", Bannister said. "A couple of broken ribs, some scrapes and wounds but nothing serious. - For safety's sake, her medical personnel decided to keep her under for a few days, knowing she would probably open up the wounds again if she was allowed to move around freely to soon".
Morg nodded. "The stressed out life of a General, or a Commander...", he said.
"And speaking of Commander, I see that you have been fully repaired", Morg remarked and Bannister nodded, flexing his newly attached arm.
"Some wear and tear", he said. "But nothing a good Tech-Marine cant fix".

"So not an assassination attempt then?", Morg asked and Bannister shook his head.
"No, the malfunction was an accident due to wear and tear from battle damage from before I inherited this dreadnought body.
The hasty transfer into its damaged form, in order to keep me alive, meant that all the normal precautions could not be done in time; but everything should be good to go now".
The spies that tried to assassinate Storm and yourself have been found however. They were spies that had somehow infiltrated the dig-site crew and taken the identity of other soldiers. - They died during or shortly after the battle for Hive Tertius".
"How many?", asked Morg.
"Three", came Bannister's answer.
"Two died during the battle itself. One was revealed during triage after the battle. - They all bore some rather nasty tattoos.
The last one of them was taken in for questioning by Kodicer Korvac, and it seems they had been feeding quite a bit of info to the enemy.
All in all they knew little though, and the last survivor died shortly after his questioning, due to the wounds inflicted upon him...".

Morg nodded again, checking his own wounds.
"How long have I been out?", he asked and Bannister checked his internal chronometer.
"Just shy of three days", he said. "Your wounds were rather serious. Had you been a regular human you would have been dead many times over", Bannister concluded.
"Had I been a regular human I would have been a farmer", Morg said. - "Or rather a poet. - Maybe even a piano player...".
Bannister smiled again, even if his metal body did not show it.
"Say, how did you get in here?", asked Morg. "This place is hardly Dreadnought accessible".
"It is if your the Commander", Bannister answered smugly.
"The word of the Commander can move mountains, or infirmary walls if necessary".

At that remark, Inquisitor Smith walked into the room.
"Ah, hello!", he joyfully said, looking positively brimming with energy.
"Your all awake in here, how wonderful", he continued, and the two Marines stopped to regard him curiously. Smith looked back at them both with a smile.
"I've just been down to the little hospital shop", he said. "I just love a little shop - don't you?".
Morg looked puzzled. "There is no little shop", he said, sending Smith a strange look, but Smith was insistent as he dragged a banana out of his pocket. "Awww, there's always a little shop", he said, taking a big bite out of the strange fruit. - "Where else would I get my bananas?".
The two Marines just stared at him.
"Oh, and that reminds me", Smith said, still munching away.
"I came here to give you a situation report", he said, pointing the banana at the huge Dreadnought form of Bannister.
"Lets see", he said, fishing a printed scroll out off his coat.
"Ah, here we go!", Smith said, unrolling the scroll with one hand, while Bannister and Morg waited expectantly.

+ + + +

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 15 August 2009 - 06:26 PM.

Reyner

Reyner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,240 posts
Great work CMG nice to read what Holus has been up to and Smith!! (Excellent character!)

gallery_60566_6038_242.gifgallery_26119_9644_9137.pnggallery_60566_6038_826.gif
"I don't need my left arm to run." - Sergeant Arkad VII Legion bad-ass.

Yogi

Yogi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,983 posts
EVERKILL!

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts

Great work CMG nice to read what Holus has been up to and Smith!! (Excellent character!)

Thank you kindly Reyner!
Smith is an intriguing fellow indeed. - Originally the brain-child of Luku, I've continued developing him for a long while now and hope to hand him back to Luku once this AoD is over, so that people can continue to follow his adventures. :evil:

EVERKILL!

Yes indeed!
Quite a bit of time in the stage-light this time.
Hope you are ok with the way he is portrayed!

Well, sorry, but no story update on Sunday as I was to occupied working on an image instead, and today Im going away, so no update today either.
Hopefully I will have sorted the next part properly by Tuesday though.
Oh, and here is the image I made.
Enjoy it while your waiting for the next story update! ^_^

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 17 August 2009 - 01:29 AM.

WelshMullet

WelshMullet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 509 posts
hurray for shameless doctor who rip off moments!!!

ps... stay out of the shadows...
AoD round 2----Honour the fallen, Sargent Dalencius
My new blog dedicated to the Fellmarines and 40k
QUOTE (Grand Master Tyrak @ Jul 7 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, there is only Schrodinger's Cat?

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,794 posts
Ooh, what joys of pretending to be a god for Adramalech...

Hurray for more Smith! Bananas for the win! :) A shop? Hmm, I wonder if Amorphous can purchase some wine there to add to his collection...

Cambrius

gallery_26154_15777_7413.png sml_gallery_81492_11492_822.pngjHkptLG.png]gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_48988_10069_2782.png gallery_48988_11572_5225.pnggallery_48988_15094_15503.png

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts

hurray for shameless doctor who rip off moments!!!

ps... stay out of the shadows...

Yes indeed!:)

Ooh, what joys of pretending to be a god for Adramalech...

Hurray for more Smith! Bananas for the win! :P A shop? Hmm, I wonder if Amorphous can purchase some wine there to add to his collection...

Cambrius

Oh Im afraid there is no shop :)
unless it's a black market one ;)

thanks for the comments guys!
I'm sad to report however that when I got up this morning, my main computer was dead.
I'm on my itouch right now and will be setting up my notebook later on, but untill I get things sorted I won't be able to post any more of the in-between story.
I expect for it to continue some time this week or weekend however.
Thank you for your patience and continued interest.
CMG

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Ok, back in full now with access to all my files, so later today I will continue the in-between story.
Just have a few more entries written up for now, so I will have to work hard on getting the rest done. - Especially since Im starting in a new job tomorrow. Yay! :D

I know that on the surface it looks like the AoD is at a standstill right now, but in the background a lot is happening:
Im working on the in-between R2B2 and R2B3 story, as well as more artwork for Nestir V.
Savage Mortician is writing up the Battle 03 story.
Brother Cambrius is also writing an in-between R2B2 and R2B3 story for his own Sons of Doom and the Autonian 44th armoured Regiment.
I've asked excellent artist Akren to do some work on the AoD, and he has agreed! :)
http://www.bolterand...howtopic=175223
Give a big hand for the people working hard on this AoD! :)

As for the continuation of this story, I will put that up later today and I will also try to get the R2B4 thread going soon.

Be excellent to one another and party on dudes! ;)
CMG

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 23 August 2009 - 05:06 PM.

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,794 posts
Congrats on getting yourself a new job CMG! :D

I look forward to the updates to come. Will help me tenfold in continuing what's been written so far. :)

Cambrius

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Thank you Brother Cambrius!
It will be good to actually earn a bit of money on the work I do again! :huh:
And now on to the next part of the AoD story:

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Where to start? Where to start?", Smith began, putting a pair of glasses on to look at the scroll in his hand. - "Ah, but wait! It seems the Lexicani who wrote this left me a hint... Start at the top it says. - Hm.. the top, the top the top". Smith started scanning the scroll with the tip of his finger, seeming to read at a pace far advanced of what any normal human should be able to.
"At the top?", he said again, looking confused, while Morg and Bannister patiently waited.
"They don't mention any top", Smith said, squinting over his glasses at the two Marines. Morg casually raised an eyebrow, but remained silent.
"Ah well, the Lexicani never really know what's going on outside the Librarium anyway", smith said and unceremoniously threw the scroll over his shoulder and into a corner of the room, while removing his glasses in one elegant swoop. He placed his hands behind his back, wobbled up and down a bit on his feet, and clapping his mouth shut with an audible click of his teeth, he began.

"Clean up of the Tertius Battle ground is well under way", he said. "Lots and lots of blood, damage and well... bodies". Smith paused for effect, but the Marines seemed unmoved by the remark.
"Right then", Smith continued. Casualty numbers on the enemy side seem to be one thousand four hundred and six. - All dead. - Well, now anyway.
The enemy also lost an unestimated number of tanks, walkers, snow bikes and a portal generator. Not to mention a high standing Brigadier who used to be part of the Nestir PDF and who is believed to have been one of the head leaders among the Traitors.

To top all this off they also lost a valuable Chaos Marine force that seemed well equipped for the job. Reports say that beside the jump pack equipped veterans Morg fought, the enemy also had a bigger Marine force with what our soldiers have described as unusual Bolter ammunition. They have described at least two enemy Tech-marines, and a unit of guardsmen that was almost annihilated, described seeing a traitor Scout team as well, tooled out with sniper rifles and camo.

Also, we have found evidence that the enemy had two Thunderfire cannons and a Conversion beamer, quite possibly a couple of predator tanks as well; and at least a couple of soldiers said they saw an enemy Land Speeder, but we have found absolutely no evidence to support this.
two Thunderfire cannons and a Conversion beamer were definitively spotted, which is as you know highly unusual. - So well equipped for the job indeed.
Luckily for us however, most of these 'toys' were reportedly lost to the enemy in the first earthquake at Tertius, so the enemy had no time to employ them properly".

"Why are the number of vehicles lost unknown?", Bannister asked, seeming irritated.
"Well, the air strikes and heavy weapons teams coupled with planes going down left quite a mess down there", Smith said. "Debris is spread everywhere and to top it all off, a lot of the vehicles, debris and bodies ended up in deep holes that were caused by the portal induced earth quakes.
Some of these are searchable, others lead into the ruined hive's former undercity. Some even lead deeper down into the planet's subterranean world. Most of the bodies have as far as we know been located, but is the number of enemy vehicles really interesting enough to divert resources in to find, reclaim, assemble and count the parts?". Smith regarded Bannister's unmoving Dreadnought form curiously.

The Crusade Commander seemed to think about it for a moment. "No, not at this time.", he finally said. "However, I am sure that once we have reclaimed this planet from the arch-enemy, the Inquisition and the Ecclesiarchy will demand all enemy artifacts and bodies reclaimed for examination, then blessings and possible exorcisms before relocation and destruction".

"The Administratum will have a field day with that", Morg interjected in a low, sarcastic voice before resting his head back on his pillow. The others thankfully seemed to ignore him.
"Indeed then!", Smith said, clearing his voice. "Well, continuing on...
The enemy bodies, or should I say icicles?..., are being gathered up in huge, frozen piles outside Tertius. From there they are purged and blessed by Imperial priests, before being loaded onto Valkyries to be disposed off. - Dropped like bombs into the open scar that is the overground section of the Hvergelmir lavaflow river.
A few prisoners were taken in for questioning, but their minds seemed to be gone and they were left nothing more than babbling idiots. - Even psycher interrogators couldn't find anything in their minds. Not even Inquisitor Rugajov, or myself. - The prisoners were put out of their misery after a few tries at getting info out of them".

Smith paused for a second and sat down on a clean hospital bed next to him and took another bite of his banana, munching away while the Marines waited for more info.
Finally Bannister growled impatiently. "And?".
"Well", Smith said, swallowing before continuing his report. - "On our side... We fared a bit better. We had six hundred and fifty three casualties. Of these exactly five hundred died on the battlefield, during the battle. Seventy four injured, froze to death while waiting for aid after the battle. Forty two were evacuated to the Hives or an orbital hospital for further care, while thirty seven were too injured to be moved and are receiving treatment on location. Out of these seventy nine injured that were sent for further treatment, none have been lost so far. - That brings our final death-toll to five hundred and seventy four".

"You remembered all that from taking a quick look at the report?", Morg asked, halfway sitting up in bed. By way of answer, Smith simply took another bite out of his banana and smiled.
Once Smith had finished his banana and thrown it in a trash-bin, he continued his report again.

"Aside from men, we also lost, fourteen tanks and APCs of different sorts. nineteen walkers and three Marauder Fighter Bombers Planes. - And on top of this the search for the Underbrunner has been delayed again while the dig-site is being secured and ruined remains dropped on to the vital area of the operation, from the earthquake, are being removed.
We have over five hundred military personnel, as well as civilian volunteers working on the clean up of the site, and also another five hundred soldiers safeguarding the place.
Hive Tertius has become a city again". Smith smiled, but the Marines did not seem amused.

"As for us not loosing any more injured than we have", Smith continued, seemingly hurt that none of the Marines were in good spirits. "We can thank Nathaniel Gekeg-Waabi Jakaaba`o. A former soldier and master surgeon of Nestir V's PDF, before he moved on to be a civilian practitioner among the planet's nobility. He has been put in charge of the wounded of the battle, and especially the Mobile Army Surgical Hospital erected at the dig-site, to take care of those too wounded to be moved.
I've meet with the man and he seems to be a man who lets his heart do the talking, often without thinking first. He Sports a long barreled, artificer crafted Carbine rifle and is an excellent shot. - He drinks a lot of home made moonshine, but is also a brave soldier and an excellent doctor, even if he has some issues with authority".

Bannister nodded in understanding. He had a bit of a problem leaving such an important job up to a booze drinking civilian with an authority issue, but if Smith vouched for him, he had to be the best, and Bannister knew that that is why Smith had gone to interview the man personally. - If he was good enough for Smith, then he was good enough for the Crusade. - Simple as that!

"Also", Smith said. "In General Storm's absence, I have taken personal command of the Imperial Guard units for now, and instated Commander Steel as the head of the Imperial forces, as well as of the growing tent city down there. - I hope you don't mind!".
Bannister just shook his head. "No!", he said. "Storm will be back on her legs in a couple of days at most". - Besides, Bannister knew that even if he had disagreed, arguing with an Inquisitor Lord was an exercise in futility".

Smith looked thoughtful for a moment and got back to his feet again. "On a side-note", he said. "Repairs at Hive Primus are going extremely well, as is the training of the Legio militia. - They are being reformed as a part of the new PDF.
Civilian transfers from Secundus to Primus through air-ferries is also going well and order has been fully restored to Secundus. - The legal issues regarding the new Imperial Governor have all been resolved and we expect her to move from Secundus to Primus, to take up office there within the end of the month. - A proper, working civilian government should free a lot of our resources up again".

"Good!", Bannister said in honest relief. Lately he had been forced to divert more and more of his attentions towards civilian government and he didn't like it!
"To conclude", Smith said. "You can get more details out of the data scroll if you want, but there is nothing more of immediate interest, except that the search for Adramalech's forces continue as before, and as before, they are without results".

Smith moved for the door, but stopped before opening it. "Say hello to her from me when she wakes up", he said, nodding towards the still sleeping form of General Storm, while addressing Morg.
"I will", Morg said. - "Oh, and just out of curiosity, what is the square root of five thousand two hundred and sixty nine?"
Smith looked perplexed for a second, but then seemingly without thinking he replied, "Seventy two point fifty eight trillion, seven hundred and eighty seven billion, seven hundred and seventy seven million, five hundred and eighty three thousand eight hundred and two. - I think that should be more or less correct. - Why?"

Morg smiled. "Just wondering", he said with a big grin on his face.
Smith shook his head in feigned disgust and left the room, walking down the corridor hallway while muttering to himself about how "they" really should reintroduce recreational mathematics into the Imperial education system. Then he seemed to remember something.

"Oh, and the augers detected another blip on the long range scanners, just beyond the sun", Smith yelled back down the corridor, just before the door closed.

+ + + +

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 24 August 2009 - 08:43 AM.

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,794 posts
A lovely death toll for the Chaos side. :evil: Let the Imperial warmachine roll ever forth to victory!

Cambrius

Reyner

Reyner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,240 posts
I can't get enough of these stories :evil: Roll on more chaps!

gallery_60566_6038_242.gifgallery_26119_9644_9137.pnggallery_60566_6038_826.gif
"I don't need my left arm to run." - Sergeant Arkad VII Legion bad-ass.

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Thanks guys!
More will come tomorrow! :D

WelshMullet

WelshMullet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 509 posts
2 problems, "to injured" should be "too". And it should be squared not square root, as the square root should be smaller, not bigger, if you get my drift.
O, and is that how much i lost!!!!, it will take my men ages to get that back!

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Ok, thank you MWAM!
Fixed the "too injured" issue. - I actually knew that, just missed it in my read-through.
As for the squared vs square root, I do believe it is correct the way it is, because there is a point in there.
So the square root of 5269 = 72.58787777583802.
I may have gotten the number after the point wrong though, as it is so bloody huge, but I think it should be correct.
But no matter the answer, I don't think Morg really cared what it was. He was just checking if Smith was a complete idiot, or if he, as suspected, was pretty darn brilliant. :)

As for how many men you lost, you didnt loose 1406. - Those were Traitor Guardsmen.
I based the loss report on your earlier PM about the battle, but the only confirmed losses for the Marines are:

1 jump pack equipped veteran squad. featuring a Captain (or a sergeant if following your army's title for Dalencius).
2 Tech Marines
2 Thunderfire cannons
1 Conversion beamer

Unconfirmed but probable losses would be:
1 Scout Sniper Team
2 Predator tanks
1 Land Speeder

Not such a bad loss all in all.

WelshMullet

WelshMullet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 509 posts
o, i was confused by your use of the words like thousand and such after the point, not standard practice you know :)
and i must have lost at least 1 basic squad because smith has found specialised bolter ammo.
but anyway this inbetween story is brilliant!!!!

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Hectic day today, so I allmost forgot to post the next part.
It may very well be that you lost one or two regular squads as well MWAM. Smith's report said they thought they had found all bodies but couldnt be sure due to the terrain problems at Hive Tertius.
And thank you for the encouragement! :)

Here is the next part:
-------------------------------------------

+ + + +

It had been four days since the disaster at Hive Tertius and two days since they had struck down the rebellion within their own ranks, that that disaster had caused.
Adramalech stood within his command tent, studying a set of maps and reports that lay sprawled upon his table. All about the tent, servants were administering to tasks while packing his gear.
Throughout the tent city outside, thousands of others were also packing and preparing to move out.
Adramalech had ordered that the whole army, except around fifteen hundred, was to prepare for relocation. Granted, there weren't many human soldiers left, only around three thousand five hundred in all, maybe four thousand if he counted the despicable cultists as well.
Still, he needed as many soldiers as possible, so it only made sense to try and keep them alive for as long as possible. - Even the low-life cultists.

So he had ordered a relocation, in case the enemy had detected his lair while his psychic non-detection shields were down, or if the chemical mind-wiping of any of the soldiers the Imperials had captured to interrogate, had failed. Even if the soldiers had no idea where in the world they were, a psychic trace might detect their home base, which would lead the Imperials to this location. - The chance was slim Adramalech knew, but it was not one he was willing to risk.
His human army would relocate to await his call to war once more, and he would have to lean more heavily on his other allies in the future.
Besides, the draining of select Promethium basins throughout the planet was almost complete and soon his operation would be ready to move to the next stage.
His allies were all getting what they wanted and soon he would have what he had worked so hard for all theese long years. - Freedom from his imprisonment on this planet.
But for now he needed patience. The Promethium draining project was in its final stages, but packing up and making the proper arrangements for relocation would take days. Considering the rebellion a few days ago, at least his men would have enough to eat, he thought.

With a tinge of pain, Adramalech felt something tugging at his consciousness from afar. It was the Eldar Yana Orkan, trying to establish a psychic communications-link with him, Adramalech knew.
He had set up the Eldar with a communications channelling device long ago. Anyone else attempting such a connection would already have been dead.
The Eldar couldn't have called upon him at a more inconvenient time, Adramalech thought as he had to stop studying the paperwork he was in the middle of, to acknowledge that it had given him a headache. The communications link tugging at his consciousness didn't make things better, but Adramalech opened up to the Eldar anyway.

"What do you want?", Adramalech thought and Yana's reply came back quicker than he had anticipated, as the Eldar's thoughts poured into his mind. His communications were elegantly transferred this time, in fluent Eldar, rather than the staccato and poor High Gothic he used when the two communicated in person.
"One of the Webway portals we have used to drain Promethium from the basins with, has collapsed sire; and another is showing signs of failure as we speak. The third one is not yet destructive, but it is highly unstable. I expect the second portal to collapse later today and the third one to collapse some time tomorrow if we keep subjecting them to this continued abuse.
What should we do my lord?"

Adramalech had to think about it for a moment. "How far along is the draining project?", he asked and Yana checked his readouts.
"It is hard to make an accurate estimation my Lord, but I would say it is close to ninety seven percent done".
Adramalech frowned. "Is it enough to transverse the Deeper Dark? Can we still reach the Fort of the Snow Leopard ahead of the Imperials if I shut it down now?".
Adramalech felt Yana cringe within his mind. The Eldar wanted to avoid those questions, but knew there was no way to do so.
"You know I cannot answer that with accuracy my Lord, but I believe it is possible to transverse the Deeper Dark in order to reach the subterranean fort. - It will be a messy trip with no guarantees, but you will need the right equipment and I hardly think the frail forms of humans can survive within the fumes and chemicals that are down there.
As for reaching anywhere before the Imperials, it is impossible for me to say and you know that. We can only hope that we slowed the Imperials down enough at Tertius, and that our further plans work. - For any kind of assurance, you need to recall the Fleet my Lord!"

Adramalech growled, he didn't like to be told what to do, even when he knew it was his own plan that was being executed. Still it had to be done. The project wasn't quite complete but...
"Shut down portal three", Adramalech said. "You will need it. As for portal two, let it keep going until it collapses. That should get a bit more sludge out and still ensure you have a way to return to the Fleet".

"As you wish my Lord", Yana said and Adramalech felt him starting to fade from his mind.
"Wait!" the Chaos Lord said, and he felt Yana's conscientiousness return to full strength again.
"How are the Hrudii holding up?", he asked.
"They are going strong my Lord. Still collecting and carrying bucket-loads of Promethium for the Webway portals, and still cleansing out the deeper caverns. - They show no signs of ill effects due to the fumes down here and I can feel they are pleased at the prospect of having their natural cavernous habitat, or should I say homeland, returned fully to them once all the Promethium is gone".

"Excellent!", Adramalech said, feeling glad that his Hrudii army was still loyal, going strong and with good morals for the job they were doing.
"That is all!"
Adramalech could feel Yana leaving his mind again until he was left alone once more, with nothing to keep him company, except his paperwork and his headache.

+ + + +

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
And here is todays story segment:
Enjoy! :)

---------------------------------------------------

The following day, Adramalech sent Yana an order, to go and command the Fleet to return to Nestir V.
For over a year now, the three Webway portals Adramalech had gained access to, had been draining the planet's main western Promethium basins dry. The thick black sludge has drained in rivers to start with, and since then the Eldar Portals had been draining the planet much faster than the inefficient Imperial machinery of the Hives could ever have hoped to. Then eventually the Hrud had been set to work on scooping the stuff up. They had been collecting it into buckets and storage tanks for months now, only to see it get transported through the webway to a far away place.

That far away place was a moon base some eight and a half light years away, Yana knew.
A base set up by his Eldar pirate band, which now was also occupied by the Imperial rebels that served the Chaos forces at Nestir.
The moon was partially artificial. - A practice in creating their own little Craftworld. - They called it 'Dannan'Ra' and it was their pride and joy. One day it would serve in the destruction of Slaanesh and then in the re-establishment of the Eldar as the Galaxy's ruling race. But for now, it served as a refuelling and redistribution base for the fleets. A home away from home.
That is where all the Promethium the Hrud had gathered went, and there it was redistributed to the Chaos forces as payment for services rendered. But those services were not yet completed and they still had a long way to go before all their goals were fulfilled.

The Hrud did not mind their servitude in all this, Yana knew. In fact they relished in it, as every drop of Promethium drained from the planet was one step closer for the dark dwellers to reclaim their subterranean homeland in full; and every human Imperial dead meant they were that much closer to having Nestir to themselves.
They did not see Adramalech as a tyrant or a destroyer the way the Imperials did, nor as a beneficial contractor and warlord, the way most of the Chaos Captains did. No, the Hrud, like the cultists and so many of the former citizens and soldiers of the planet, saw the age old Adramalech as a benevolent saviour. - A saviour that would set them free...

And what of his own people? Yana thought, as he and his retinue marched for the tunnels of the draining project. The Eldar were split in their understanding of the ancient Spiritseer they had once known as one of their own. "Xamanth Shenestra Sistau" had been one of the most powerful Spiritseers ever to have lived, but that was long ago and that Spiritseer was long gone. - Still, Yana had no doubt that while he had been corrupted in many ways, Xamanth, or Adramalech as he went by these days, still maintained his ultimate goal; the destruction of Slaanesh.
This is why the Eldar Pirates under Yana had sided with the weakened Adramalech, and in return he had taken their broken organization and made it powerful again.

Unfortunately not all Eldar shared Yana's confidence in Adramalech's ultimate goal and so it was that they had many powerful enemies stacked against them. The Craftworlds had aligned their paths towards the ultimate destruction of Adramalech, and in that way they had betrayed their own kind.
Yana felt disgusted at the thought. They would pay!, he thought; but for now Adramalech and all his allies were forced to tread carefully and plan everything much further ahead than any enemy ever could. - Luckily, after all these years, Xamanth had become an expert at doing just that.

Reaching his destination at last, Yana ordered the continued draining of the natural cavern system be halted. Two out of the tree portals had collapsed already and the third was dangerously close to doing the same, so they had shut it down the day before. Once it was activated again, Yana figured the portal would last no more than two hours before dying. It was a shame to loose such precious remnants of the old ones, but they would still be sacrificed to serve the greater cause. Yana, followed by his retinue would pass through it to the other side, where they would meet up with their own fleet as well as the combined fleet of the Chaos forces.
With them they would bring the last of the gathered Promethium, then the Fleet would be ordered to prepare for departure before heading to Nestir V.
A great battle would take place there once they arrived, Yana knew, but they had been spying from afar on the Imperial defences for months now and had a solid plan of attack.
The inadequate sensors and augers of the puny Imperial ships had not even detected the smallest hint that their enemy had a presence of scout ships beyond the solar flairs of the Nestir sun.
As he stepped through the last remaining webway portal to recall their fleet, Yana was certain of victory!

+ + + +

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 25 August 2009 - 07:57 PM.

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Ok, so tomorrow is my first proper day at my new job and Im not sure how much this will affect my work flow yet, but it means I cannot guarantee that I will be posting the next part of the story before this weekend.
If I am unable to post anything up in the coming days, I hope you enjoy this part in the meantime:

-----------------------------------------------------

It had been two days since Yana Orkan left alongside his retinue and a few Marines, to recall the Fleet.
Since then, the last of the Webway portals had collapsed and cut them off from any direct rout to where 'Dannan'Ra' now lay anchored.
Then Yesterday, Adramalech's forces had finally begun their long march. The Hrudii had evacuated the caves and halls that had served as their base of operaions, along their own routes. They would now stay in underground and submerged grottos that they knew would be secure chambers accessible only to creatures of their own flexible nature.
The Human army however had marched towards the surface. Clad in snow camo and equipped with both camo-netting and Holofield projectors graciously supplied by their Pirate Eldar allies in the past. Adramalech hoped that using this equipment, his force could be concealed from the enemy's orbiting surveillance systems and long range patrols, long enough for them to carry out their mission.
The Pirate Eldar force had employed this way of concealment from Imperial forces many times during their use of this planet as a base for smuggling operations, Adramalech knew. - After all, he had established that operation here himself a couple of hundred years back, and an old abandoned Pirate base dug into the mountains many miles due east of their current position was testament to that fact.
The Eldar had used the base for centuries and the Imperials had been completely ignorant of their presence. Off course back then there had been no military presence to speak off, let alone an Imperial Crusade hanging in the sky like some great eagle ready to swoop down upon them.

A Scout force had moved out a few days ago, to set up a safe base of operations on the surface, with all the necessary precautions for defence and camouflage. And to top it all off, Adramalech still maintained his psychic non-detection shielding, even if it only protected his force from psychic sweeps of the area, and not visual sweeps.
Yet that mattered little Adramalech knew, for soon the skies would be filled with enough obscurement to cloud the Imperials' vision completely.
As they marched upon the surface and protective gate after protective gate within the subterranean tunnels was sealed and barred, Adramalech only hoped that those gates, alongside his force's atmospheric cleansing units and protective suits, would be sufficient protection against what was yet to come.

+ + + +

A few hours later, Adramalech's human army had reached the surface, where snow bikes, All Terrain Tracked Carriers, skis and other equipment was waiting for them. Using this equipment they would be travelling about four hours in the snow, before reaching their destination.
As soon as the army started emerging onto the surface, well planned and rehearsed equipment allocation routines were carried out. Officers yelled their orders left and right and the entire place became a mass of people that moved through an ordered routine that to an outsider might seem like a chaotic mess.
Nothing ever went quite as planned off course, but the army's emergence onto the surface and its subsequent departure in groups that would make up a convoy, started as soon as they reached the surface and continued until every last man was away.
The officers had done a relatively good job despite the circumstances in which they found themselves, Adramalech had to admit, when he and his retinue, guarded by the vicious warriors of the Ulfenhedner were the only ones left at the mountainside gates that lead back into the 'Deeper Dark' of Nestir's underworld.
The last, enormous, yet almost invisible iron gates were shut and securely locked. Then Adramalech employed his psychic might to cause an avalanche of powder snow that would cover and completely conceal the entrance.
following this, he also conjured up a light snow storm in the area that would conceal the army's tracks, and as he and his retinue followed the army on their snow bikes, he would strive to conceal all the army's tracks in the same way.
Driving off, Adramalech and his people had at least four hours of open snow-lands before them. Just enough time to reach the destination before it got to bad, Adramalech knew as he started to gain on his army.
His cloak was flapping harshly in the wind as he speed along, and he pulled it tighter around himself as he drove, despite the fact that his armour was fully sealed from the biting cold outside. Then, as he passed in among the rear ranks of his men, he reached for a radio detonator rigged to his snow bike's control panel. - He would not look back, he sweared. - No matter what, this was it! - The moment of truth about how far he was willing to go.
Adramalech depressed the trigger on the detonator, and deep within the surface of Nestir V's Underworld, a set of chain reaction fusion-core detonation spheres, that would change the future of Nestir V forever, ignited.

+ + + +

Onboard the Imperial Fleet's flagship, the Bloodied Scion, the Imperial officers were gathered for their daily briefing when a set of alarms bleeped off at one of the bridge's surveillance-desk operator consoles.
Half a minute later the operator had analyzed the data streaming in on his computer system and his jaw dropped.
"S,s,s, Sir!", he stammered and immediately caught the attention of the Captain of the Watch.
Captain Stride of the Legio strode over to the operator and Commander Bannister, as well as every other officer on the enormous deck also gave him their attention. - Stammering was not a normal modus operandi for the hardened crew of an Astartes warship.
"What is it, soldier?", Captain Stride asked a bit too harshly.
"Its a... a... - Its a... a message relayed from Inquisitor Rugajov onboard the Numenov sir. They've detected a wide range heat plume spreading throughout a huge continental area along the planet's western hemisphere, sir! - The effect is also causing turbulent atmospheric changes".
Captain Stride, looking at the operator's monitor readouts, blinked in surprise and took half a step back in denial, while both Commander Bannister and Admiral Kiel, their curiosity peeked, took a step closer.
At the side of the two officers, Xavier Crussis felt his jaw go slack and a low murmur spread throughout the mighty battleship's control deck at the reaction of the senior officers.
"By the Emperor and all that is Holy!", whispherd Inquisitor Smith. - "They've ignited the Promethium fields!".
At hearing this obvious conclusion spoken out loud, everyone on the bridge suffered a moment's shock as the magnitude and scale of ramifications this move would have, hit home.

"Once the heat plume grows strong enough", Smith said, moving closer to the console to have a better look. "Surface snow will start melting and thick smoke will pour into the atmosphere, concealing everything on the ground. - A clever if desperate tactic!".
"It's already happening sir", said the operator. "The Numenov is reporting atmospheric changes like heat, vapour and large quantities of smoke. - Already it has started flooding the planet's Troposphere and we are seeing seepage into the Stratosphere as well".

"But if the enemy is down there, then they will suffocate!", said Captain Cruento Manus of the Bloodied Hand Space Marine Chapter, who was standing next to Smith. "Concealment is one thing, but how can they possibly hope to survive?".
"We have seen many times during this Campaign, that Adramalech and his forces have more resources and technology available to them than can usually be expected from the arch-enemy", said Brother-Codicier Korvac. "Adramalech has proven very resourceful and I do not believe it is beyond him to have some means of countering these effects as well. - Protective gear, vehicles, atmospheric cleansers or generators within a force field; an as of yet undetected base of operations that is atmospherically sealed... - All these and more are options the enemy might have access to. We cannot afford to underestimate them".

"But why would he do this?", Brother-Captain Melxis of the Iron Bears asked out loud. "Isn't their agenda to conquer this planet, ravage it's natural resources and steal its mighty Promethium reserves? - It makes no sense!"
"We have already detected a depletion of the Promethium reserves", Commander Bannister said in way of answer. "But without the mainframe of the Snow Leopard Machine Spirit awake to measure the depletion and detect where the leak is located, we have had no way of telling for sure if there even is one. Yet, it has long been suspected that the enemy may have been spiriting Promethium away by some means. - Given their former use of Eldar technology, we have also concluded that this may be the way it is done, but we have found no proof of this as of yet.
"Even now we have allies out searching for places where the Promethium might have gone, and if the enemy really has been depleting the Promethium reserves along the western hemisphere, then Adramalech may already have secured what the Chaos Forces came for. But if General Storm is correct, then Adramalech's agenda is of a different nature. This could mean that he is carrying out this despicable action to conceal his next move - Hiding within a smoke-screen, so to speak".
"A coward's tactic!", Lord Hakon Greymane interjected in a low growl.

"Indeed!", said Captain Amorphous. "But what if it is a diversion to lead our eye in the sky towards that region? - Maybe he is planning to do something in a completely different region or even to attack one of the Hives again..."
"Emperor's blood! The Hives!", said Inquisitor Smith, hitting his forehead with an open fist before ruffling his hair in frustration. "Primus and Secundus!", he yelled at the assembled officers, spreading his arms wide. "How could I have been so stupid!? - The Hives! The Hives! - They're still fully open to the Promethium fields through their pumping tunnels. If the fires reach them the cities may very well go up in flames, and without the Snow Leopard fully active, all the automatic safety protocols may not be operational. - We have to warn them!"

"Very well!", said Bannister, taking Command.
"Send a priority message to the Hives and warn them to shut down all pumping stations, pipes tunnels and other pathways that may be leading there. Have them evacuate all high risk areas within the cities and also have them go to condition yellow.
Have the Tertius dig teams evacuate the site in case there are open regions vulnerable to this 'attack'.
Smith, prepare an airwing for each city and have them prepare all vehicles for an emergency evacuation of the cities if needed.
Xavier, Hakon and Melxis, I want you to prepare strike teams that are ready to go on a moment's notice in case the enemy make a move in an unexpected area.
Canoness Arcadion, set up squads that can help out with keeping the civil peace in case panic breaks out.
Dispatch a surveillance wing to fly over the smoke-filled region, have a couple extra satellites moved into a path that survey the western hemisphere; and finally, move the Bloodied Scion into orbit over the affected area. - I want to know what is going on down there!
Now move!"

+ + + +

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 26 August 2009 - 10:28 PM.

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,794 posts
Hoo boy. Things are really heating up this time! I look forward to the next installment, and work is slowly being done on my contribution also by the way. Hopefully we'll see it soon.

Cambrius

Yogi

Yogi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,983 posts
good stuff.

WelshMullet

WelshMullet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 509 posts
Damn cliffhangers!
Brilliant writing, you should be employed by GW, but alas, we do not live in a perfect world.
And Yogi, your avatar seems to have been removed...