Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nestir V AoD - In between R2B2 and R2B3 story.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
101 replies to this topic

Yogi

Yogi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,983 posts
Yeah thats a termie fist. I am actually unaware that the writing is RT era.. but that knowledge pleases me.

Yogi

Yogi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,983 posts
Man its like time has stopped in here! Where are those battle you slackers!

WelshMullet

WelshMullet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 509 posts
well, my story has stopped because RLtm has caught up with me atm, but i'm hoping to get an update done soon.
As for everyone else, i don't know.
AoD round 2----Honour the fallen, Sargent Dalencius
My new blog dedicated to the Fellmarines and 40k
QUOTE (Grand Master Tyrak @ Jul 7 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, there is only Schrodinger's Cat?

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Hello everyone!

It should probably have been in its own thread, but Im very glad to see you made a story and a new model Yogi! :P

As for the time-stop, here is why:
As you know I came down with the flu rather hard a while back and lost a couple of weeks work to that, but then just as I was getting better, my father was rushed off to the hospital.
He had had a rather harsh infection coursing through his body and as he stayed there it was established that the infection was a side-effect of another condition.
A CT revealed that he has cancer that has spread and has become life-threatening. Due to this he has been through some rather grueling operations and other procedures, and its not over yet.
So naturally I dropped all my projects and went to my home town to visit my aging father there. Ive been there for a while and I haven't really worked on this or any of the other projects Im involved in, while there. Also I don't have access to the Internet there, so no message went out here either.
Im back home now, but I will be returning to my dad in a few days.
I do hope to continue the AoD some time next week however.

Thank you for your patience everyone!

New-GA-hotlink-banner-190511.jpg

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,794 posts
I wiosh you and your family the best of luck CMG.

I'm currently caught in the joys of being a University Student (and failing to impersonate a Space Wolf's drinking abilities...;)) so I've been on low production. But more pictures of my army may come soon.

Cambrius

gallery_26154_15777_7413.png sml_gallery_81492_11492_822.pngjHkptLG.png]gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_48988_10069_2782.png gallery_48988_11572_5225.pnggallery_48988_15094_15503.png

Yogi

Yogi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,983 posts
Oh man, good luck CMG.

Renik

Renik

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,606 posts
sorry to hear hope your dad is ok cmg

Ju'kosian

Ju'kosian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,652 posts
Sorry to hear that.

I wish you and your family the best in these difficult times.

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Thanks everyone!
My dad is now out of hospital and doing a bit better, but he has a long and hard fight ahead off him as well.
Anyhow, I promised to continue the AoD sometime this week and today which is my birthday I am indeed giving everyone a birthday present in the form of continuing the AoD.
So, we left off with some of our heroes trying to solve the mystery of how to open the Glittering Path Webway gate, leading to the subterranean fortress of the Snow Leopard, from within the Yggdrasil cavern at the bottom of the Underbrunner tunnel.
http://www.bolterand...p...t&p=2115610
Time to keep going again:

--------------------------

"Nine puzzles", Korvac said out loud. "Nine puzzles! - Nine! - Like the number of the Great Trickster, the Great Snake, the Fateweaver".
"The changer of ways", Captain Draco said.
"Tzeentch!", Lord Greymane finished with a growl and suddenly everyone looked at him with worry.
"What?", he said, shrugging. "Im not afraid of no stinking magic wielder!".
Smith just shook his head in disbelief. "You can be glad it's me and not an Inquisitor of the Malleus that is down here with you. - In the future you should watch your tongue". Greymane simply scoffed at this, but then Storm grabbed their attention again.
"No.", she said, stroking the wall of the chamber almost affectionately. "I was wrong". She turned around again to face the others. "This wall, it's not of human make. It is a construct. - In fact this whole chamber is a construct, an Eldar Wraithbone construct controlled by a Guardian Spirit that is probably lodged within one of the many gems making up the ceiling. It can control this chamber. It can see us and hear us. It is much akin to human Machine Spirits, except that this one truly is alive". Storm could see Lord Greymane take a step backwards and the rest of the Marines tense up.
"Not to worry.", Smith said to calm the situation. "It means us no harm as of yet, or we would all have been dead already".
"Indeed!", Storm said. "This whole chamber is made out of Wraithbone, or more to the point, it is grown out of Wraithbone. That is why it is so intact. After the collapse of Hive Tertius, this chamber simply healed itself. - It is the forechamber to a potentially powerful Eldar gateway and so it is also the gateway's first defensive installment. - Like a fortress, and the Guardian Spirit is it's keeper".
"The keeper is ancient and intelligent, so the inscription we have been reading is not an inscription, it is a projection made into the Wraithbone itself. - Like a physical computer screen if you will.
The relief of the writing hasn't always been there, it appeared especially for us, or more correctly for me".
Now the others looked puzzled again. "For you?", Korvac asked.
"Yes", came Storm's answer. "I have already told you that I, myself am a construct of sorts, and that we, me and my siblings were ten successes out of over two hundred trials. - We were nine sisters and one brother.
Nine sisters!, and I was the ninth sister. - The Spirit of this chamber does not only see us, it also sees our souls and our biological make-up. - It recognized me as the ninth of the hunters and so it told me to solve the puzzles and enter.
The translation shouldn't read: Solve the nine puzzles and the path will reveal itself. - No, it should read: Nine, solve the puzzles and the path will reveal itself".
At this, Lord Greymane slammed his helmet on, but Inquisitor Smith simply smiled the broadest smile any of them had seen in a very long time. "Brilliant!, isn't it?", he exclaimed.
Storm smiled back. "Yes it is!", she said out loud and laughed. Then she turned back to the wall at her back and said the magic words. "DyannTann, Borif Catu Danastari" - "Guardian Spirit, unveil the first puzzle!".

+ + + +

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 26 October 2009 - 02:06 AM.

Reyner

Reyner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,240 posts
Glad to hear your dads doing better. Also good to see the story rolling again! ;)

gallery_60566_6038_242.gifgallery_26119_9644_9137.pnggallery_60566_6038_826.gif
"I don't need my left arm to run." - Sergeant Arkad VII Legion bad-ass.

Yogi

Yogi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,983 posts
Good to hear CMG, NINE solve the puzzles..

WelshMullet

WelshMullet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 509 posts
I wonder what happened to sister seven...
Or seven of nine... ;)

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,794 posts

I wonder what happened to sister seven...
Or seven of nine... :D

Oh dear MWAM I just died a little inside...;)

Hmm, so what happened to the other eight? The mind ponders...

Cambrius

gallery_26154_15777_7413.png sml_gallery_81492_11492_822.pngjHkptLG.png]gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_48988_10069_2782.png gallery_48988_11572_5225.pnggallery_48988_15094_15503.png

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Thanks everyone!
Seven of Nine. Hmm.. Hadnt heard that before, but I did some research on the Internet and Yum! :D
Guess I will have to study up on Star Trek.

As for what happened to the others, well, follow the link and read the story there again. You should get most of the answer. - Though not in great detail.
http://www.bolterand...p;#entry1895036
Read from: "my siblings and I received word of what was happening on Milton's Paradise"

And now on to the first riddle.
Maybe I should present future riddles so that you may try to solve them yourselves?

+ + + +

At Storm's command, the first riddle unveiled itself. The previous writing on the wall, faded out only to be replaced by a single, huge Eldar symbol and the words: "Tree without branches. A tree without a trunk. The ground flows through it, but the sky does not. Green without the Ork.
Inquisitor Smith raised his eyebrows in amused surprise. "A Harlequin riddle", he said. "Intriguing!".
"What does it mean?", Captain Draco asked and Codicer Korvac agreed, nodding in wonderment while looking utterly puzzled. "Even in all my years of study I have never seen such a strange riddle he said". Lord Greymane, having secured his helmet seals, simply placed himself in overwatch, his customary Lightning Claws traded out for a raised Bolter.

"It is an associative pattern finding riddle", Storm answered. "We used to solve them during my youth, while training at 'Ulthanash Shelwe'. - They are fairly easily solved once you understand the pattern".
Storm pointed at the huge symbol that almost filled the far wall, all the way up to the roof. The symbol now had a golden tinge to it.
"This symbol means Eldar", she said. "Note the center of it. In this riddle it is referred to as the trunk of a tree, and the parts of the symbol sticking out of it are the branches. We are told to see the symbol without the branches, but not literarily. It simply tells us that the symbol we are looking for does not branch out, it has but one meaning.
Then the riddle tells us to see the symbol without the trunk of the 'tree'. It is literal this time.", as Storm said that out loud, everyone present could see the midsection of the symbol fade away, leaving nothing but the symbol's out-branching components. Storm stood looking at it for a moment.
"Let´s see.", she continued. "The riddle then goes on to say 'the ground flows through it, but the sky does not', meaning we should keep the lower branches, but not the top ones". At that the top branching parts of the symbol faded from the wall, leaving nothing but the lower section.
"Now!", Storm said. "'Green without the Ork'. Traditionally, in this part of the riddle you would find a word you need to think of the correct synonym for. In this case 'Green'. There are several synonyms for green, but the true word for green is 'Orkan'. In this case however it tells us that the word we are looking for is without the Ork, giving us 'an', but that means 'next' and doesn't really make any sense when combined with the other symbol parts we are left with".

Storm stopped to think for a moment and everyone else were looking expectantly at her. Everyone except Smith, who simply stood rubbing his chin thoughtfully while studying the symbol components on the wall.
"If you recombine the two lower outbranchings", he began in a low voice. "If you switch their places and move the last one up so it forms a stem standing on the 'soil' of the first one, like a tree would on the ground, then you get…". - "Cresistau!", Storm interrupted. "Inquisitor, you are a genius!", she exclaimed and Smith lit up with a great, braight smile. "I am a bit brilliant!", he said and the two looked back at the symbol again.
"But what does that mean?", Korvac asked, but Smith merely shushed him. "It means we are close to a solution", Storm offered.
"Ok, so the 'Green without the Ork', she continued, thinking out loud. It is not Orkan, it is not the Ork…" - "Or it is!", Smith happily put in, pointing at the symbol. "Look, if you put the word for Ork: 'Orkead', which is the ancient word for 'Green', into the place between the two symbol parts we are left with, and remove the 'Ork', then we are left with 'ead', which if read in the old triangular reading pattern, would make the completed symbol read:" Smith paused for a second to let Storm catch up, and then both Smith and Storm, in unison said: 'Cresistauead!'.
On the wall, the symbol components realigned themselves to form a new Eldar symbol, and both Inquisitor Smith and Storm yelled in glee, giving each other a huge hug in the process. They had solved it!
"You'r really enjoying this arrant you?", Storm said, shyly taking a step away from Smith while brushing her hair behind one ear.
"Yeah I am a bit", Smith answered with a big, shining smile. "It's brilliant!"

"But.., what does the new symbol mean?", Draco asked from behind them, and the two turned around smiling, ready to give the answer. Korvac beat them to it however. "Human!", he said. "'Cresistauead', means Human, as in either singular human or as in the race of the most holy Mankind'. Korvac gave Storm a slight glare and her smile disappeared as she swallowed hard, meeting Korvac's eyes.
"I always thought the Eldar name for Human was 'Monkeigh'", Lord Greymane interjected, pulling everyone's attention towards his armoured frame.
"No", Storm said. "That is a common misconception. 'Mon-keigh' is actually an old word for a race of low intelligence beast-like creatures that allegedly enslaved the Eldar race at one time, but that were later overpowered and destroyed, or simply chased off. - Today the word is used about any enemy of the Eldar that they deem it necessary to exterminate. - I actually believe this to be a legend about an earlier visit of the Tyranids to this galaxy", Storm concluded. "But lately the name has been used in a worryingly growing amount towards Humanity, she sadly said. - "Humanity and Eldar used to be allies once…"
Korvac gave Storm a look as if though he was ready to call her a Heretic and a liar, while Captain Draco simply looked intrigued and Lord Greymane tensed, looking ever more battle ready. But given the place they were in, Korvac decided that it wasn't worth pressing the issue of Storm's self-proclaimed involvement with the Eldar. Besides, the resident Inquisitor of Ordo Xenos hadn't objected, so maybe there was some truth to the General's words after all. - He would have to do more research on this issue upon his return to the Legio Librarium.
"Let us continue!", he said and they all turned to the chamber's far wall again, to witness the unveiling of the second riddle.

+ + + +

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 28 October 2009 - 01:40 AM.

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,794 posts
I could easily picture the glee on Storm and Smith's face when they solved the riddle there. Nice work again CMg. Now you'll excuse me I must research further on Eldar...*disappears for the Librarium*

Cambrius

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
That happy moment, yeah, me too Brother Cambrius, me too! :)
Inspired to look into the Eldar are we?
Now let's see if anyone can solve this one:

------------------

As the group watched the wall again, new letters appeared, but this time the Eldar runes slowly faded over to reveal the riddle in High Gothic scripture:

"It is said that during the hight of his power, Cegorach the Trikster, approached Sotek the all knowing, for it was said that Sotek could answer any and all questions in a manner that was a confirming positive or a confirming negative. In order to gain this power however, the great snake had been forced to give up his ability to lie.
On this day, Cegorach posed a question for Sotek to answer, but though the great snake knew the answer, he could not give it to Cegorach.
What was it that Cegorach asked off Sotek?"

"Aw come on!", Inquisitor Smith exclaimed out loud, seeming utterly disappointed. "Is that the best you can do? I used to solve riddles ten times harder than that in the Nursery back on Shemedonnybrook".
Everyone stopped to look at Smith for a second. "Nursery on Shemedonnybrook?", Captain Draco finally asked on behalf of everyone present. "Shemedonnybrook?", Storm repeated with scarcely hidden laughter on her lips.
"Well, its…", Smith began. - "Its a long story, and besides that isn't its real name anyway. And its long gone now. Another life-time. Many life times ago in fact". Smith looked somewhat sad and everyone decided to drop it.
"So what is the solution?" Draco asked.
"Come on, you can figure it out", Smith said, giving Draco a sidelong glance.
"The answer is simple, it's…" Korvac began, but Smith interrupted him. "No, no. Let the young Captain have a go".
Draco looked uncomfortable at this notion, but he set his jaw and looked at the riddle with his one good eye again, determined to solve it.
He thought about it for a little while. "What was it that Cegorach asked off Sotek?", he repeated out loud to himself and thought about it again. A few moments later he had his answer.
"Cegorach asked: Given the options to answer my question with only a yes or a no, will the next word out of your mouth be no?", he finally said. At that the text on the wall faded and a loud click and clamor could be heard from the chamber floor. Smith smiled and Storm gave Draco a reassuring smack on the arm. The answer had been correct.

"What happens if we get the answer wrong?", Draco asked, addressing Storm.
"Then we don't get access to the Webway gate or the Fortress of the Snow Leopard", Storm said matter-of-factly, shrugging slightly. "I guess we would have to find some other way to track down the Snow Globe and Adramalech".
Draco nodded in understanding. "Well, maybe we should just leave the puzzle solving up to the biggest brains in the room then eh?", he said. Stom didn't answer him, but instead gave him a sideways look that clearly said "You are not as dense as you might think".

The rumble emanating from the floor grew louder for a few seconds and then it stopped. In its place, a perfectly formed counter weight scale and twelve spheres seemed to silently and quite fluently grow out of the chamber floor itself. Looking at the construct, it was clear that this was a fully functional counter weight of Eldar design, with twelve separate spheres as dark as coal surrounding it. The spheres finally detached themselves from the floor and seemed to float freely in the air, each staying in it's given place at about chest height. The weight in turn looked as if though it had been grown out of white, porcelain-like bone that was fused to the material of the floor, from which it had grown.

Once more the far wall relayed a puzzle:
"The scale gives you the ability to measure whether the contents you put upon it's opposing scales weighs the same or if it has a weight differential. If the scales are in balance, the weight is the same, but if one scale rises above the other, then there is a weight differential.
The twelve spheres presented to you seem identical in every way. However, only eleven of them are, while the twelfth one is of a different weight.
Identify the unique sphere and determine whether it is heavier or lighter than the other spheres.
To complete this task, you may only use the scale and spheres for reference, and you may use the scales up to three times, but no more".

Yogi

Yogi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,983 posts
Thats hard if you knew whether it was heavier or lighter then the others it would be easier.. hmmm.

Ok you take 5 in each scale.. if they way the same they your left with two, then you weight them both compared to one of the original 10 whihcever is differnet is the one, but ..that assumes you don't have the differnt one in the first weigh in.. ARGh

EVERKILL knows not. I choose yell at the wall smash it with my powah fist, then guess 'lighter'.

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Well, it's a dreadfully hard puzzle with many ways to the solution, based on the outcome of the weighings, but it is actually possible to logically and mathematically come up with the correct answer.

Anyway:
Brother Cambrius is back on writing his in-between battle story, and I just heard back from Savage Mortician, that the next battle story has been delayed for a while now due to some personal stuff and not having access to the Internet, but he is back on the job again, so we can look forward to a great story. - In the mean time I will keep feeding you the in between story in little doses to keep the storyline on track.

Here is today's part:
Enjoy!

--------------------

"Ah, this is more like it!", Smith said with a smile. "Now let's see…"
"Well, if we take six spheres and put them on one side and six on the other", then at least we will have determined the first half of which the different sphere is in", Storm began, but Korvac stopped her. "No, no, no!", he said. "The solution wouldn't be that simple, and besides, that strategy really wouldn't work with no more than three uses of the scales".
"No.", Smith agreed. - "It is harder than that". Both Greymane and Draco decided to stay out of this one.
"Well, let's see", Korvac began, clearly working his intellect.
"First of all we need a way to identify each individual sphere". A moment later a servo skull detached itself from his form and flew over to the spheres, beginning to write numbers on them with an automated ink quill.
The others in the group hadn't even noticed the familiar before and it was clear that it must have been hidden beneath Korvac's winter cloak.
Draco seemed to despise the flying skull, but then the Guardian Angels were known to frown upon both their use and the use of psychics. As the servo skull did it's task, Smith made a mental note of how the Angels had been uncustomarily open to the presence of psychers in this Crusade. He would have to look further into the reason behind this at a later time.
Storm in turn found herself wondering why Marines, given their fully environmentally sealed suits of armor, still carried such items as winter cloaks and furs. - Maybe it was in case the armor was damaged or in case it had to be left behind for some reason.
Finally the servo skull finished its task and returned to Korvac's side. The thing had numbered each of the spheres from one to twelve, in clear, white letters.

"Now then!", Korvac said. "Let us start the weighing process by putting sphere one, two, three and four on one side of the scales and five, six, seven eight, on the other side of the scales. That should give us the answer as to whether or not the differential is on the scales or off it".
"Ahhh, I can see where you are going with this now", Smith said with a smile, pointing at Korvac. "Smart move!".
Korvac gave Smith a suppressed smile in return and nodded slightly in a gracious gesture of thanks. - The praise was obviously welcome.
Draco and Korvac both moved in to start placing spheres within the scales, while Greymane still stood to attention some meters away. Smith was counting the spheres and scratching his chin, obviously pondering how to precede in order to find the solution.
The spheres came loose from their floating position in the air without any trace of resistance and as soon as they were removed from their rightful spot, they gained their correct weight, allowing for them to be put into the scales with ease.

Once the task of moving the spheres into the scales was complete it became clear that the right side was dipping down, making it heavier than the left side.
Smith smiled. "So now we know that the difference is not in the unweighed spheres", he said. "Less work".
"Indeed!", Korvac agreed. "Ok, so we now need to find out whether or not any of the spheres in the left scale is lighter or if one of the right spheres is heavier. That means we have to compare them in one weighing.
So, we need to know which side is light and which is heavy, or if we can make a balanced combination of spheres again.
If we use one light side sphere against two heavy side spheres on either side and leave the remaining light side spheres out of the scales, we will know whether the difference is in the scales or out of it and if in it, we will be closer to knowing which side it is on".
The Marines set to work again, moving sphere one, five and six into the left scale and sphere two, seven and eight into the right scale, while keeping sphere two and four outside. The scales balanced and Smith smiled broadly. "Ah yes, brilliant!", he said, grabbing one of the still unused spheres they knew had no difference to it out of the air next to him.
Korvac and Draco removed the spheres still in the scales as they now knew the difference did not lay with them, but with one of the two spheres that had been kept out of the second weighing.
Smith walked over to the scales and dropped sphere three into the left side, and the sphere he knew to be good, a number twelve, into the right side. The two balanced again and it was now clear that the different sphere was the one remaining in Smith's hand. - The number four.
"Ok, so that one is the different Sphere", Storm said. "But is it heavier or lighter?".
Korvac smiled while grabbing the remaining sphere from Smith's hand to hold it up in front of Storm's face. "We know that it was lighter than spheres five, six, seven and eight in the second weighing; Spheres that are confirmed to be of a good weight, so sphere number two is obviously lighter than all the other spheres", he said, finally dropping the sphere into Storms palm. The sphere never landed however. Instead it and the remaining spheres floated back into their designated positions, before landing on the ground around the scales. The answer had been correct and the components of the third puzzle began disappearing into the floor again.

+ + + +

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 29 October 2009 - 10:39 PM.

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Once the scales and spheres had gone and no trace was left to prove that they were ever there, a new symbol appeared on the chamber's far wall. - A triangle.
The triangle was mirrored by another triangle; a duplicate of the first, it then flipped on itself to form a triangle like the first one, only up-side down.
The two triangles slid towards each other to form a six pointed star. Then this star seemed to multiply along the edges to form a star tipped star, before the morphing symbol stopped and letters appeared beneath it.
"What is the next symbol?"

Both Korvac and Smith were about to open their mouths at the same time, but Lord Greymane interrupted them both, "Oh, I know this one!", he said from within his helmet, dropping his ready Bolter stance in the excitement of being able to help the group out with a puzzle.
Korvac looked over at Smith with raised eyebrows, and Smith in turn smiled reassuringly as if though he had known Greymane would come up with a solution all along.
"Well?" Storm said, addressing the excited Space Wolf. "It is a snowflake!", Greymane said and Smith smiled even broader. "Are you sure?", Storm asked with a frown. "Yes off course Im sure!", Greymane said, sounding a bit insulted, but from within his helmet it was impossible to judge by his expression. "Growing up on Fenris I know a thing or two about snow and this is one of the many puzzles we were shown in our training. It's called a Koch Snowflake fractal". On the far wall, the symbol changed again and it now seemed to flow into the shape of a snowflake, constantly flowing in on itself to form a snowflake within a snowflake within a snowflake, until it resembled a magical gateway into the unknown. Lord Greymane and everyone else yelled in happiness. - They had done it! They had uncovered the 'BelahRill', the Webway portal that would lead them into the heart of the planet itself.
The flowing symbol had one constant however. A small section at chest hight that resembled a fist sized snowflake symbol. Upon closer inspection, Storm could see that the symbol was outlined by two concentric rings and between these rings were Eldar runes. The runes translated to: "Present the key!". Storm cursed out loud and the good cheers of the others was abruptly halted.
"What is it?", Smith asked coming up alongside Storm, beside the symbolic snowflake.
"This!", Storm said in frustration and anger, pulling her sword from it's sheath, and the Marines in the room suddenly came to full attention, thinking that Storm may have come under the influence of some Warp entity or other malicious influence. But Smith simply held up a hand to wave them off.
Storm held her blade, 'Yirrik-Zhai' up before Smith and then flipped it over, the beautiful silvery blade of the saber shining like starlight as she did so. With the weapon's pommel now facing him, Smith could see that half of a snowflake was embossed onto the metal itself, but that the other half of the symbol was missing.
"My fears have been confirmed", Storm said. "This symbol here", she pointed at the snowflake symbol on the wall. "Basically tells me to insert the key. - THIS, is only half of the key!", she said harshly, shaking the pommel of her saber for emphasis. "We need my brothers blade as well". Storm seemed exhausted and downtrodden as she sheathed her blade again. A stunned silence filled the room and the flowing symbol on the wall faded again, leaving it bare and unmarked.
"But… I don't understand", Greymane said. "What was the point of solving all those puzzles if we still needed a key anyway?".
Storm sighed. "We are not Eldar. An Eldar may gain entry without presenting a key, but only trusted non-Eldar are presented with keys to such important artifacts as their most ancient portals.
The puzzles are a fail-safe, to ensure that the portals are not misused and to ensure that whomever uses it is prepared in mind and spirit for what he or she will face. Going through a portal like this is not like walking through a door. It is a maze and possibly quite dangerous. If you leave through the wrong exit you might find yourself in the wrong place entirely, with no way back, or even dead in the cold vacuum of space.
The puzzles tested our strengths, our alliance, our minds and spirits, but we still need either the complete key or an Eldar ally".
The others were perplexed and shocked. They all felt down. So close to what they needed in order to secure victory, and yet so far away.
"Now what?", Draco asked, addressing Storm.
"The war must go on", Storm said in way of answering, before she started walking towards the chamber's exit. "I will return to Hive Secundus and use Yirrik-Zhai's quantum entanglement link to Rillie-Tageth in order to try and locate it. If my previous sensing of it's presence is correct, then it is still here on Nestir V and in one piece. - Our presence and awakening of the portal here should also have alerted Eldar forces. This means I can try to draw more allies to our cause. You must continue to make war upon Adramalech, and redouble your efforts to locate him and his forces. - Time has now truly joined the ranks of our enemies!".

+ + + +

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 31 October 2009 - 10:28 AM.

Yogi

Yogi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,983 posts
Haha so thats what that was about.. (wink)

Ah nice stuff CMG.

WelshMullet

WelshMullet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 509 posts
Ha, the Imperial fools thought it would be so easy!
Great story CMG!

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,794 posts
Felt like I was reading scenes from a 40K Crystal Maze in that CMG. :D Great work and so the war must drive on...

Cambrius

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Indeed Yogi, the stories all build up to something and have a meening for future events, though some are more character pieces than event or battle stories. :P
Well, nothing is ever easy MWAM. But the Imperials have fought long and hard to get to the Leopard. Guess the battle isnt quite over yet eh.
Crystal Maze. I had no real idea what that was, but I googled it and indeed you are right Brother Cambrius.
Glad you liked it so far. Now let's see what the enemy is up to:

--------------------

Adramalech sat sideways on the seat of a parked snow scooter, looking out across his encampment.
Some two and a half thousand men were encamped upon the snowy surface of Nestir, and the rolling plains of snow stretched on in every direction, Adramalech knew.
Still, they couldn't actually see this, as the place was still thick with fog and smoke from their burning of the subterranean Promethium fields. His force was well hidden though, with camouflage of all sorts concealing them from prying eyes, even where the smoke could not; and pretty much the only part of his men that was not wrapped entirely in shades of white, was the black respirator masks they wore as protection from the poisonous fumes floating throughout the air.

Yet, even now, the winds of the plains was blowing hard and the smoke concealing them had already begun to dissipate. By this time tomorrow, the smoke may already have evanesced, leaving the entire force vulnerable and openly visible to enemy flybys and orbital surveillance.
So the force was currently hard at work, packing the camp down and concealing their tracks, while preparing to return back into the relative safety of the underground complex. Hopefully, by now, the tunnels and chambers were once more safe to venture into and the deeper dark had hopefully been purged of it's remaining Promethium, leaving the deeper caverns transversable.
Before the force would get back there however, they had at least a full day and night of travel ahead of them.
One force of five hundred men, with full machine support and all the equipment they would need, had already begun their movement across the plains almost two hours ago. This force was the only one that would not return to the underground with the others. Instead it would travel across the open ice wastes, heading for one of Adramalech's old Eldar pirate strongholds hidden within the Kea mountain-range.
Adramalech's plan was to split his forces in order to make them harder to find while he transversed the Deeper Dark with his Hrudii and Astartes army. A large force would be retained in their former base of operations, to halt or slow the enemy down, should they find the place. The human forces would be gathered together at a later time again, though Adramalech was not yet certain of when that time might be.
The force that had set out a few hours back had drawn the shortest straw. They would take the greatest risk and potentially draw the enemy's attention away from the rest of the force.
If they reached the abandoned fortress within the Kea mountain-range, this force may prove to be a great boon and a hard nut to crack for the enemy, but if not, then at least they would serve as a distraction.

Adramalech keenly felt the importance of moving out now, for during his psychic strike upon Hive Tertius, he had momentarily lost control over the non-detection field he had erected. The field was now in place again, but it was taking a lot out of him, especially now that he had been forced to destroy part of his own force due to rebellion, and mind-wipe another part of his force from a distance, using nothing but his own psychic might. - He now feared the non-detection field was draining unnecessarily much energy, and that if it were to fail, the Imperials would surely located him and his men.
It was a shame, Adramalech thought, that Brigadier Causidicus was no longer with them. He could have used his strategic mind at the defensive outpost he would be setting up in back in the subterranean main base.

+ + + +

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 02 November 2009 - 07:37 PM.

Yogi

Yogi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,983 posts
Hey CMG, no to be a whinger, but can I crit that?

I'll take silence as a yes. :P

I think the main problem with these interludes is that there is no tension, they are an account of whats going on, but there's no sense of potential loss or danger. Its just going through the motions.

So Adramalech is sitting in a camp waiting to return to the underground and has sent one group off to the mountains on a fools errand and intends to leave another at the main base as a speed bump. He is also concerned about the smoke dissapating and leaving them vulnerable.

To me the threat of discovery would be the main tension with Addy wondering if the smoke will cover them long enough for the return journey. I also got the sense that he was just throwing his troops away as a distraction, sort of hapharzardly. I dunno maybe you could of reinforced the reasons more then.. "I will leave some there as a distraction".. Just add some arrogance, "In his genius Adramalech had positioned a small portion of his troops at the main stronghold, their lives would be sacrificed should the dull imperium find them. All the while his forces would move unhindered." Etc

But the major problem is Addy knows nothing will go wrong at this stage.. the central character should never know he's going to win! (this portion anyway)

Anyways just some thoughts.

Yogi

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Sorry about the delay guys. Shouldn't be all that much longer to wait for the next battle now though.

I think the main problem with these interludes is that there is no tension, they are an account of whats going on, but there's no sense of potential loss or danger. Its just going through the motions.

Well, that is indeed correct. A lot of the interlude stories are not meant to keep the pace up, they are meant to tell the story of why the characters do what they do, where they are and who they are.
In the sense of the overall story, this is important to give the main battles a frame within which to exist. Also, if there was top action all the time, then the main battles would be in danger of seeming a bit flat eventually.
If the in-betweens can give you a sense of the overall picture, give you an understanding of why, and also give a closer connection to the characters and their stories, then the loss or victory of a goal or a "beloved" character is more profound once it is decided by the main battles.
In the sense of there being no sense of potential loss or danger though, there is a sense of this too the characters, though to the players there wont be the same sense of danger because you know there cant be a real power shift in the story without one of the player characters dying.
Here it is important to separate out what we as omnipresent spectators know and what the characters know.
After all, we can see all sides of the story and even into the minds of the characters. We have some idea about what will happen in the future, but the characters are pretty much blind to these things.

So Adramalech is sitting in a camp waiting to return to the underground and has sent one group off to the mountains on a fools errand and intends to leave another at the main base as a speed bump. He is also concerned about the smoke dissapating and leaving them vulnerable.
To me the threat of discovery would be the main tension with Addy wondering if the smoke will cover them long enough for the return journey.

Indeed, and that is the predicament Adramalech and his army finds itself in. They know that Nestir is a huge place (4 times larger than earth) and that they have a good chance of their plan succeeding, but they also know that an orbital lance strike could hit them out of nowhere at any time. They really don't know if the Imperials are on to them or not.

I also got the sense that he was just throwing his troops away as a distraction, sort of hapharzardly. I dunno maybe you could of reinforced the reasons more then.. "I will leave some there as a distraction".. Just add some arrogance, "In his genius Adramalech had positioned a small portion of his troops at the main stronghold, their lives would be sacrificed should the dull imperium find them. All the while his forces would move unhindered." Etc

Well, Adramalech is a bit scitzo, but I believe he really does care about what happens to his underlings in one way or another.
He is willing to sacrefice his men to achieve his goal, but his decisions are mainly based on well considered options. - Off course some of the plans he makes, are there as plot points to set up future battles though.

But the major problem is Addy knows nothing will go wrong at this stage.. the central character should never know he's going to win!

Nope, Adramalech really doesn't know whether he will win or not. Even I dont know, as that is all decided by the player character battles.

Anyways just some thoughts.
Yogi

Yes, thank you! - Always glad to hear what people have to say.
I take things like that into consideration and it may affect the story in some way, but it doesn't necessarily mean I heed opinions completely.
Still, the story is far from over, just been going a bit slow lately.

Now on to the next part:
------------------------------------

A few hours later, Adramalech and most of his forces were ready to depart. All across the cavern tents were packed once more. Both vehicles and broad-necked Ambull alike, were fully laden with supplies, munitions and equipment.
Knowing that his men were anactious about their next strategic move, Adramalech had gathered them together to give them some inkling of hope. He knew they had been pushed hard, that they were frail and that being trapped on a planet with no way of escape, while surrounded by enemies and nowhere to go, had to be a harsh strain upon their collective minds.
So far all the society that these men had, had been this army and that in itself had served well to bind them together in a common cause. Yet now they would be splitting up and to most of them it felt like breaking up a family that had already been through enough hardships. Friends and brothers alike would be split up. - Even lovers and enemies. - Strength in numbers would no longer be as much of a soothing thought as it had been, and a hard built society, however small, would be torn apart. - To these men and women, this was all the civilization they had left.

Standing upon the hill he had used for his commander's tent's position within the enormous cavern, Adramalech was prepared to give his final speech for this part of the campaign.
Within the cavern, every last remaining human soldier he had at his disposition had gathered and he had asked them all to bring two lit candles to the gathering. The lights were a ceremonial remembrance for the men, of all their comrades in arms who had laid down their lives for the cause. The number of lights were far from enough, yet they lit the cavern beautifully and the gathering was quite a sight to behold, with close to four thousand men and woman, and more than eight thousand lit candles being held aloft.
The hushed whispers of thousands of voices echoed off the cavern walls. Prayers, wonderment, expectation, trepidation and much more. The place was a cauldron of quiet emotions.
Finally, boosting his voice with a Vox caster, Adramalech effortlessly grabbed the attention of everyone in the gathering, and let his presence be felt as much as it was heard.
The acoustics of the cavern made his voice carry well, and the echo made it sound spiritual and almost god-like.

"As we stand gathered here, it is with great sadness I see that we are far fewer than we were when we set out upon our quest. - And yet, we are many still. At this time let us look back upon those we have lost and remember them with pride, for though they are lost to us, they died for a worthy cause and we are closer to fulfilling our goal now than we have ever been.
After so much loss it is easy to forget why we are here, but you all know it in your hearts. You all know why you joined me in my quest, and you should remember. - So, remember not our failures, but rather what we have fought and still do fight for.
We fight to create peace in the galaxy. Peace and understanding, so all the sapient races can be united under the one and only superior master race.
We fight for freedom from oppression and freedom from enslavement. You fight not only for yourselves, but for your families, your neighbors and for all of my people!

When first I came among the people of Nestir, I was greeted as a great hero, for the people were forgotten and downtrodden. I wandered into the frigid wildlands and brought back hope. I gathered the people and ensured all of you that you would be set free.
During my journeys I have seen poverty of many sorts, but the most common one is the one that comes with hunger and cold. I have addressed such poverty many times by feeding and clothing those in need. I have fought for those who had no champion and I have defeated dark horrors lurking in the night to protect the children of the people.
Yet on Nestir I found a poverty that is much harder to remove and a monster that is much harder to defeat.
I found a cold society that felt shut out, unwanted, unloved, oppressed and enslaved. The rich and powerful of Nestir were happy with their situation, but the common man was tired, poor and lonely, struggling to get out from under the heel that was grinding him down. - The heel of the Imperium!

I swore to aid not only the struggling people of Nestir V, but also all the people of my race; in fact everyone who needed aid in getting away from the unloving, uncaring pressure of the Imperial machine. - I swore this, and so did you!
Gaining access to the upper echelons of Nesterian society was a long road, but once we were ready, we rose up and brought allies in from the outside. Together we overthrew our oppressors and sought to free our families and our people!
A cleansing was to follow. To the casual observer or to an outsider, this cleansing may have appeared as a bloody slaughter, but we know that only those who were the oppressors and those that sided with them were killed. - This is indeed why we let so many flee to Hive Secundus, for all the guilty had already been gathered at Primus.
Yes, there were some innocent casualties as well. - During such actions it is an unfortunate truth that there always will be. - Yet we did what we did for the betterment of all.
Still, as we knew would happen, the Imperial Warmachine answered our struggle to cast off the shackles of slavery, in the only way it knows how. - With war!
Since then we have struggled to fulfill the greater plan and while we have paid a great toll, we have been largely successful. - Much more so than our enemies realize.
We may have lost some support among the people that were forced under the heel of the Imperium once more, but they live in terror now, and so that is why they fear to support us. - Still, we fight for them and we will set them free one more.

It may seem that we are few, but we are strong and we have powerful allies. My contacts and allies now includes all of you and even more human soldiers like you. Astartes warriors have fought by our side since the beginning. An entire army of Hrud warriors stand ready; Ulfenhedner, Ambull, summonable Warp dwellers, and soon, Eldar warriors aplenty. - Supported by a large and powerful Fleet that is already now on its way, and with me, an Alpha class psycher to lead you, we cannot loose.
Yet, we still face long and harsh times ahead. Through all of this, we must fight and each and every one of us must give of him or herself, like our allies do and have done. - Until it hurts us! - Until it kills us! For this is the price of freedom! - It is not enough to speak of freedom and to dream and hope for it. No, we must fight for it, and if need be we must die for it!
Our strength and resources may have been sapped and I know many of you struggle, but it has always been known that we would have to fight. Yet we do not fight if we only give when we have strength in abundance; the struggle only starts once we give until it hurts. And you have given of yourselves until it hurts and beyond. You are the martyrs upon the alter of freedom. To the people to whom you are defenders and champions, you are a secret joy; for they enjoy the freedom they are receiving. - In this way it should be a joy to both sides. To you, the champions, for being allowed to give the gift of freedom; and to them, the people, for receiving that which you have to offer.
So put a smile on your weary faces, for I know that in secret the people of Nestir are proud of you! - So am I! - And soon all of humanity will be proud as well".

Adramalech's words trailed off and for a moment hushed silence filled the chamber as wide eyes followed the mighty Adramalech, who now stood before his men like the beneficent savior they had first learned to know him as.
Adramalech knew he had his audience mesmerized and he could feel the pride rising within the hearts of his loyal soldiers.

"Let us take a moment to remember what it truly is that we are fighting against", he continued.
"The Imperium!
There is so much suffering, so much hatred, so much misery, and terrible enslavement. War, death, destruction, terror and mayhem. Oppression and abuse! These are all the things the Imperium stand for.
The Imperium has become a blight upon the galaxy. A cancerous disease that has become overgrown and bloated with it's monopolization of power. It has become filled with trouble both from within and from without. In the confusion of it's bureaucracy it has become an unwieldily beast of a system that exists only for the sake of the system itself. It has become a bottleneck for progression, while creating a society that is slow and uncaring; serving only those with power, while treading the common man down into the dust, grinding him until there is nothing left to grind.
To live within this Imperium is to be one among untold billions, to constantly be under the heel of those who believe themselves to be better than you. It is to be told what to do, what to eat, where to go, what to believe, what to think and whom to love - if you are even allowed to love anyone other than the Emperor. - It is a Tyranny and whatever you do, however well you live your lives or however bravely you may die, you will die alone, unloved and unremembered! - To live and die within such a place is to live and die within a place where, no matter what happens, you will not be missed". Adramalech voice trailed off again. This time into sadness.

"Here however", he continued once more with strength, stretching his arms out towards the gathered men, with open palms as if to encompass all of them. "Here, you have a chance to stand apart from the masses! To be a hero! To fight, to live or to die for a greater cause; and that cause is the freedom of all mankind!
With our sacrifice here, we are beginning a revolution and if we succeed in harnessing the greater power of Nestir, then we will have begun something that will alter mankind forever!

I am aware that you already know this, but it cannot hurt to be reminded that: By harnessing the power of the science, energy, Promethium, gems, mineral riches, allies and strategic value of Nestir V, we continue the process of building a greater economic and strategic base for our cause; while at the same time, we weaken the Imperium's hold over the Nestir system and consequently the whole sub-sector.
This will throw a cog into the wheels of the Imperial Warmachine and if we are successful in harnessing the planet's true power, a power emanating from the Immaterium itself, then we can truly cast the Imperium out of this sub-sector for good!

Imperial doctrine will tell you that using the Immaterium is a dangerous and a sinful act. The Imperium has brain-washed its people into believing that the Immaterium is evil and that even thinking or knowing about it could be lethal. In the same route of thought, the so called Masters of the Imperium have chased down those among humanity that learn to tap into this pool of power; claiming that they are dangerous and evil. - But what then of their precious Emperor, to whom they feed the souls of all these so called evildoers?" A gasp of surprise went through the gathering at this, even if most of them had already learned of the Emperor's soul eating ritual. It was a stern reminder that the Emperor's true face, was a face of soul devouering evil!
Upon his hill, Adramalech continued his speech.

"I am here to tell you that the Imperium is spreading lies! The Immaterium is no more dangerous than a sea. - Yes it may be filled with storms, lurking creatures and many dangers, but used correctly it is also a source of great power and possibility, as well as being the wellspring of life itself.
The Imperial Inquisition and the Ecclesiarchy, as well as other powerful institutions of the Imperium kill those that could tell and show the truth of this, while suppressing and brainwashing the masses; And what for? - The answer is simple: To maintain their power! - Well, I am here to tell you that when it comes to their teachings: Everything you have been told is a lie!
The Immaterium can be harnessed and used to aid Humanity. Many already know this and even within the Imperial Inquisition there is even now a struggle between those that know that the Immaterium should be used, and those who feel that it must be abhorred.
I am one of the most powerful psychers known to man. I know the Immaterium! I know its might and its uses, and I am telling you that if we can harness the heart of power that lies within Nestir itself, then we can overcome anything!

For now however, we must lay low while the next step to secure this awesome power is completed.
While some who fought among us lost their faith and had to be neutralized for the safety of us all, you who stand here today have completed your task and undertaken your oaths with great strength and unmatched faith.
Together we have come this far. You have fought and you have sacrificed, but for now, you must wait and rest. Let some of our allies lead the charge and suffer the agony of battle for a while. - Yet do not think that the war is over and that you are no longer needed. Stay sharp and be on your guard in my absence, for you are still needed and together, we will take the final step. - Together, we will break the slave-chain of the so called God Emperor and his Lords of Terra. We will expose their lies and tear down the Warmachine that the Imperium of Mankind has become; and together we will build a better future! - A future of freedom, a future of knowledge, a future of equal rights and possibilities for all!

In the future you will not need guns or bombs, nor will you need to destroy. - What we need is to bring peace, understanding and unity to the Galaxy. Yet, before we can do that, we must remove the great instigator of evil; we must cast the Imperium out!
As soon as the Imperium has been overthrown, we will no longer need to destroy in order to bring peace.
And how beautiful that final peace will be. it will come from within the heart of humanity itself, and to all of mankind, eternal peace will be given.
You must become a burning light of hope for this peace, just like every one who has laid down his or her life for it already, and who is remembered by candlelight here today.

In light of so many lives lost, so many spirits remembered, It may seem that there are not many of us left here; but this I tell you, that we do not stand alone!
As I already said: Other races and people are joining in our fight, just as we are joining in theirs. - All across the galaxy, everywhere where one from among the people can be found, something amazing is happening.
The People is rising up to fight back, to stand proud and progress once more, to stand tall, not as slaves in fear of a false god, but as a self reliant, immagenative, capable and caring people.

With this movement that has started, people everywhere are seeing what is right. - As time progresses, more and more will be caught up in the wave and they will get stuck in. Many have already been willing to lay down their lives for this peace and freedom, and even more are joining in even as we stand here. The movement is growing and as it grows, a tipping point will be reached; A tipping point where, short of victory, there will be no stopping my people's march towards ultimate victory.

So, feel good you righteous men and women that stand here before me today! - Feel privileged and be grateful that you have been allowed to live in such a great time in history, that you may be part of this marvelous and unparalleled undertaking. - To instigate eternal peace for all of mankind and to see my people victorious once more!
Whether it be on Medusa V, on Ragnarokk, Jhanna, within the Cadian Gate, here on Nestir V, or in any thousands of other places where we find like-minded spirits, the roar of the people is always the same: "We will no longer stand to be slaves; We will be free!"

The End-times are upon us, the Imperium will fall!
You have your orders. - I wish you the best of luck!
Bless all of my People! Bless you all, each and every one!"

With Adramalech's energetic and heartfelt conclusion, the gathered crowd exploded into cheerful applause and it was clear that their spirits had been lifted to new highest of hope for the future.
Adramalech turned and walked towards the assembly waiting some twenty meters behind him. - It was time to leave.

As he walked towards the gathering of his Astartes Captains, he passed by Lord Belial Neiorath and the huge, terminator clad giant turned to follow him. In the distance, Adramalech could see Everkill scowling at him, while Sauel, the apostle, was nodding in agreement, a hardly distinguishable smile written upon his face.
Crom simply stood to the side with his arms crossed, looking as grim as ever, while Lord Sallanum already sat mounted on a broad shouldered Ambull.
Following him one step to the rear and one step to his right, Adramalech could feel Lord Neigorath's scowling glare burn into the back of his neck.
"I understand that you are of the Wordbearers, so it is only understandable that you should be adept with words and a bit long winded, Lord Adramalech.", Neigorath proclaimed in a gruff voice. "But tell me: Did you really mean those things you said back there?".
Adramalech didn't stop or turn to look upon Neigorath as he gave his answer, instead he focused on what lay ahead; Dedicated and determined. "I say what is necessary to get the job done. - Whether I believe in what I say or not is irrelevant", he answered.
But underneath the hard exterior shell of Adramalech's Astartes form, deep within his heart of hearts, Xamanth, who had eventually become Adramalech, remembered his lost family, his lost people, his lost… 'humanity'; and he believed!

+ + + +

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 17 November 2009 - 01:19 AM.