The Bloodsworn

After reviewing the discussion in my previous topic, I decided to put this in proper IA format.

[center; background-image:url(http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/hq2.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 8px 2px; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:50px; font-size:130%; width:50%;">The Bloodsworn[/center]

[/clearfloat]

gallery_27269_1454_52584.jpg

Created during the 10th founding of the Adeptus Astartes, the Bloodsworn are one of the last successors of Sangiunius' geneseed. Their initial training and testing went off without a hitch, the first marines proving themselves as adept as any other. However no training cadre was assigned to the newborn chapter, nor did the proud but naive chapter question this wisdom. No sooner had they finished their training than the first four hundred marines of the Bloodsworn were directed to their area of operations. Segmentum Pacificus.

In the recent years before the tenth founding two systems inside the Amani subsector had been fighting what had become a stalemated conflict. A small Xenos kingdom bordered the subsector, but the aliens were neither advanced enough to seriously threaten the rest of the sector, nor were they aggressive enough to pursue such a goal. The conflict was too small to be considered a threat and as such any forces raised were sent to more pressing conflicts. The Imperiums inaction however had left an opportunity open to other, older adversaries. When WAAAGH! Snarktoof arrived in the Xenos kingdom the nature of the conflict swung violently against the Imperial worlds. The Kingdom was quickly annihilated by the Orks, the weakened Imperial border worlds falling soon afterward as the subsectors commanders struggled to raise new regiments to combat the unanticipated menace.

The Bloodsworn were given the task of keeping this newly emergent Ork empire in check, a task the chapter took to with great gusto. The Bloodsworn raid the Ork held worlds, destroying ships and Orkish industry as well as keeping any upwardly mobile Ork warlords in check. If the Orks were to ever pour forth into the nearby subsector the destruction would be catastrophic.

Homeworld

The homeworld of the Bloodsworn known as Adi is cloudless, sun scorched and windswept, the earth is said to be rubbed red raw by the forceful winds. Pale snow capped mountain ranges punctuate the ruddy plains and steppes. Most of the worlds population live in naturally protected valleys between the peaks, protected from the suns intense rays and to break the wind that can take skin from flesh at it's strongest. There are some few souls who live in the mountains themselves, eking out a an existence in the scarcest of environments. These few are usually solitary individuals, spending their days in meditation, turning their minds to becoming closer to the world itself.

Eventually, after learning all they can from those that choose to remain for their entire lives, the masters, these isolationists will often return to their villages and tend to the spiritual well being of their former communities. Known as 'Arahant' or 'worthy one' these figures are greatly revered and respected by the people they tend to. A communities Arahant is often the first to stand in defense of the settlement against predators or the worlds few outlaws. Their time spent competing with the mountains own inhabitants hardening them and forcing them to be more in tune with their environment.

The Bloodsworn were impressed by the survivalist nature of the people and so carved out a fortress upon a grand plateau among the most unforgiving of the worlds mountain ranges. There are few ways to reach the monastery, forcing any that wish to reach them from the plains and valleys below to prove themselves strong enough to do so. The Arahant have taught the Bloodsworn many things, but most of all they have taught them the value of introspection, of watching ones own thoughts rather than being led by them. The chapter has a great respect and loyalty towards the people of Adi, earned over hundreds of years bound together in service to one another.

Beliefs

The Bloodsworn deviate significantly from their counterparts in the belief of their inherent superiority. Many chapters believe that they are nothing short of superhuman, an evolution of mankind. Others simply believe themselves superior, while there is no doubting the superior abilities of an Astartes compared to a normal human the Bloodsworn also see the change as a process that also takes away from the marine. Gifted with superior abilities an Astarte is also fundamentally changed in mind and body. Although none among the chapter dispute their place alongside the other brotherhoods of the Adeptus Astartes as the Emperors right hand and his greatest servants, something is amiss for them.

It is a belief brought up from their homeworld, something observed by one of the master Arahants in his conversations with the Chaplains of the chapter. The then chapter master of the Bloodsworn had ordered the Reclusiam to find some way to reconcile the beliefs of the planets inhabitants and those of the chapter. Months passed as the chapters chaplains moved between the settlements, seeking out the Arahants for their council. Eventually they sought out the last living master in that region. The master observed the battle between the surface of the marines minds, the war between the Black Rage and their conscious minds. He advised them thus, that there was no way to truly destroy the curse using the mind, only ways to control it. Like fear in normal humans, the marines would have to learn to watch their thoughts rather than be controlled by them.

His last advisement has stuck with the chapter to the present day and is one of the core tenets of the chapter cult.

"For everything in life there is a choice to be made. Every time we give in to anger, we choose to do so. Every time we fall in love, we choose to do so. Sometimes the moment of deciding such action is so short so as to feel as if you have had no control at all. You and your brethren must learn to make the choice to either continue to serve or to give in to the madness that I see in your eyes, the rage that lurks just beneath the surface. The decision is yours, however the ability to make that choice is something you can teach. Something you must learn."

[clearfloat]

Combat Doctrine

The Bloodsworn typically fight as individual units rather than an army across a battlefield. The style of warfare is born of the constant warfare waged to keep the nearby Orks in check with limited manpower at their disposal. Each unit is generally formed of two to five squads as necessary to perform a single task. The objectives given can be calculated with precision and detail or they can be broad, nonspecific orders. It is down to the company commander and the men he commands. Multiple units commonly work in unison to accomplish their varied tasks between them, using the completion of one objective to create greater opportunities for the other units involved. This however is usually left to the discretion of the units themselves.

Warboss Gitsmasha Goldtoof
"Those mud an' blood marine-boyz iz gud fightas! Dey always stick around for da gud brawls an' fight like Orks! Dey dun say much but. Dat freeks sum o' da ladz out, so I'z alwayz 'avin to knock der skulls togeva. Ruddy gits."

The officers who command these units -and indeed the companies themselves- do not make decisions based on ego. The superiority of their unit to another is irrelevant compared to the objective at hand. Officers are chosen for their calm, level-headed approach and ability to seek the best way forward rather than any physical prowess. Once committed a Bloodsworn unit cannot be dissuaded from their course by any other than their company commander, so dedicated are they to the completion of their objective. Some units have been wiped out almost to the last man, only for the survivors to stubbornly manage to perform a suicidal operation to finish what they started.

The types of squads in these units are as varied as those laid out in the Codex Astartes. However, each company typically has access to whatever equipment it needs and selects what the commander deems necessary for the mission at hand. That said, the chapter generally prefers to use a combination of Bikes, Rhinos and Razorbacks. The fast moving formations move from place to place, completing their missions as planned, keeping a low profile on the overpopulated Ork held worlds.

Razorbacks are used as fire-support, Rhinos carrying any non-bike mounted marines. Landspeeders and Jump-packs are rarely used as they are too easily spotted and identified by the Orks. The ground based transports however simply create large dust-clouds at speed, resulting in most dim-witted greenskins to assume they are simply Ork speed freaks. The type of weaponry used are usually the ubiquitous Bolter, Heavy Bolter and Flamer. All are most useful against Ork hordes and vehicles alike. Close combat weapons typically being the axe -a brawlers weapon- usually two-handed. Far from being the slow, cumbersome weapons they are depicted to be, the blade is used far less than the handle in combination with the marines own body.

---------------------------

+Disclaimer+

All of the fantastic image creation and manipulation was done by Dazzo. Much appreciated.

Gifted with superior abilities an Astarte is also fundamentally changed in mind and body. None among the chapter dispute their place alongside the other brotherhoods of the Adeptus Astartes as the Emperors right hand and his greatest servants, something is amiss for them.

The highlighted sentence might be missing a word.

It could read "...but something is amiss for them."

Or

"Although none among the chapter..."

and either would look good.

Apart from that, I like very much what I see.

Can't wait for you to detail the combat doctrine - even if I have a good idea of what's coming. ;)

However no training cadre was assigned to the newborn chapter, nor did the proud but naive chapter question this wisdom.

What are your thoughts behind this? I'm asking both to understand the purpose behind the Bloodsworn being created this way, and also just out of curiosity; since the idea of a training cadre is now deeply ingrained into the Liber Astertes 'way of thinking'. I've tried to explore the idea myself, but always end up not being able to answer the question 'how can this possibly be done without a cadre?'.

The rest looks good. I personally think you have gone into just about the right detail, but lack content.

I know this is far from finished, but take the Origins for example. You have the reason for their creation and describe it fairly well, but I'm missing more detail on how the Chapter has faired since their creation. How has their initial mission developed? Was it a 'success'? (Orks always come back, but did manage to keep things under control?)Or does the situation vary from time to time, keeping the Bloodsworn more or less in the 'same mission' for over five millenia? If not, what has happened during those years?

Have they gotten a specific reputation? This is a question that can be answered in other sections, but I like to get a feeling of what to expect of the Chapter I'm reading about quite early, What they're all about. If not in the Origins, then maybe in an introduction paragraph before any sections. Call it a thematic introduction.

In the Homeworld section I'm missing some detail on the recruitment process. Not only the physical recruitment, but also the notion that it is a choice, and a sacrifice. Becoming an Astartes is the greatest sacrifice, as one gives up one's humanity, in order to serve it. From there on out, it's all about making sure that the sacrifice was not in vain.

My initial thoughts there, hope it made any sense.

and either would look good.

Thanks for picking that up Ace, it's always good to have a second set of eyes (or more) look over what you've written. This proves why. Edited.

Apart from that, I like very much what I see.

Can't wait for you to detail the combat doctrine - even if I have a good idea of what's coming. :P

Thank you, appreciated. :P

I'm still trying to find a good way to piece it all together, but I have a good idea of what the Bloodsworn will be like on the battlefield. The problem comes from separating what I think personally is cool, and what is cool as well as in character for the chapter. Sometimes in your mind the lines can become blurred.

Or did you just ignore it? :D

Sorry Grey! I was replying to Ace's post and I had already navigated away when you posted, must have! Or something. I didn't mean to bypass your post. I'll get right on it!

Making me feel bad now!

I've tried to explore the idea myself, but always end up not being able to answer the question 'how can this possibly be done without a cadre?'.

Well, the way I think of it happening was that a training cadre was requested by the AdMech upon creation of a new chapter from any of the same geneseed that they could get in contact with. This of course would be subject to both the AdMech and the High Lords politicking, picking who they like or view to be the safest option when given the opportunity.

I'd think that perhaps the High Lords didn't want any bad influences on the new chapter from even their parent chapter because of rumors of the Black Rage that fly around about them, or the Flesh Tearers obvious succumbing to the problem. Nor perhaps did they want the chapter to be tainted with the tragic nature of the Lamenters. I know it's a lot of 'what ifs' but I haven't decided on what the best option would be.

Perhaps the AdMech wanted to see how Sanguinius geneseed performed, along with the marines themselves, without any outside influences at all. Something like a test on the viability of Sanguinius geneseed even with the known defects.

The rest looks good. I personally think you have gone into just about the right detail, but lack content.

Now that I take a step back, I see what you mean.

I know this is far from finished, but take the Origins for example. You have the reason for their creation and describe it fairly well, but I'm missing more detail on how the Chapter has faired since their creation. How has their initial mission developed? Was it a 'success'? (Orks always come back, but did manage to keep things under control?)Or does the situation vary from time to time, keeping the Bloodsworn more or less in the 'same mission' for over five millenia? If not, what has happened during those years?

That's something I do actually have the answers to, on hand and in mind, but haven't gotten around to writing, or deciding where it's going to go. To put it basically, the chapter has continued to keep the Ork empire on the back foot for the past few thousand years, preventing them getting too difficult to handle alone and avoided diverting the badly needed forces of the Imperium from other hot-spots. It should work in as something they see as key to their identity. They keep the Orks at bay so that the Imperium can deal with other threats as they see fit. That said, some variation in the gravity of some of their missions against the orks as the years pass are what would keep it interesting.

The chapter would not though keep all of it's forces bottled up with the orks. Three or four companies are constantly rotated in to deal with the Orks, while others respond to threats elsewhere in the Imperium as needed. Whenever enough men are free perhaps the chapter attempts to reduce the Orks space-supremacy within their own (Orks) borders to keep the advantages they possess.

I haven't decided on whether they have increased fleet assets because of this, as it is a concept I myself usually shoot down on other IA's. Seeing as it's an ork empire it would definetly warrant the deployment of the Imperial Navy to keep the borders secure as well.

Have they gotten a specific reputation? This is a question that can be answered in other sections, but I like to get a feeling of what to expect of the Chapter I'm reading about quite early, What they're all about. If not in the Origins, then maybe in an introduction paragraph before any sections. Call it a thematic introduction.

The thematic introduction is something I've avoided so far in favour of the meat of the chapter. Then again, it's something I probably should do given the nature of how I've divided up the information so far. Either that or I can expand on what I already have to fill in the blanks you've pointed out.

In the Homeworld section I'm missing some detail on the recruitment process. Not only the physical recruitment, but also the notion that it is a choice, and a sacrifice. Becoming an Astartes is the greatest sacrifice, as one gives up one's humanity, in order to serve it. From there on out, it's all about making sure that the sacrifice was not in vain.

I was actually going to fill that in inside the actual Recruitment subsection, though perhaps a few key bits of information should be distributed throughout the Homeworld section to prevent confusion, or simple lack of information on my part.

The scouts are supposed to make a pilgrimage across the planet to each settlement and learn from every Arahant they can find before returning to the chapter to continue their training. There are no rules to follow, you can travel with other applicants or not, nor is there any set route or direction. It is all about making the choice to see the task through, or not.

The applicants themselves, as children, are considered men when they reach puberty and as such are initiated into the responsibilities of supporting the community. They also have the option of deciding whether they want to join the Astartes in the mountains and become one of them. Even as children they are told to meditate on the decision before they leave, and are instructed to do so again when (if) they arrive at the monastery.

I see the Astartes having a more active role in their homeworlds population, at least as far as being known and understood for what they are. They are naturally aloof due to their meditative beliefs, but on Adi this is not something unusual so is not taken into consideration as such. I can see them providing relief when a natural disaster threatens a township or if a band of outlaws gets out of hand. The issue of the peoples feasibility as Astartes is due to their mental strength and discipline and their ability to survive and flourish in such a harsh environment.

Making me feel bad now!

No worries, I was just kidding, and I kinda assumed that you had just missed it.

Now that I take a step back, I see what you mean.

Just to add to what I said before, when the article is expanded and there is more content, you might find out that what you had before was over-detailed after all, if you know what I mean. But for now, keep adding!

I haven't decided on whether they have increased fleet assets because of this, as it is a concept I myself usually shoot down on other IA's. Seeing as it's an ork empire it would definetly warrant the deployment of the Imperial Navy to keep the borders secure as well.

Increased fleet assets? Maybe. Maybe not.

Highly frequent co-operation with the Imperial Navy? Definitively.

Just got some images of the Bloodsword, brawling their way through some tight corridors of an infested space ship. Yeah.....

Just to add to what I said before, when the article is expanded and there is more content, you might find out that what you had before was over-detailed after all, if you know what I mean. But for now, keep adding!

I get what you mean and I will definitely keep expanding what I have. I just need to put pen to paper on some things and refine some others a bit before I kick myself into actually posting it.

Highly frequent co-operation with the Imperial Navy? Definitively.

Better option all-round.

Just got some images of the Bloodsworn, brawling their way through some tight corridors of an infested space ship. Yeah.....

Heh, I get inspiration like that when I think of these guys too. You've just added another image to my mental collection there.

A note on their brawling nature.

While they may well use weapons like other Astartes, they implement their use differently. While a lot of marines will thrust, parry and riposte with their enemy like a swordsman, a Bloodsworn marine is probably much more likely to smash you in the face with his elbow or the butt of his axe as he is to use the blade. While it may seem like a no-brainer when thinking of astartes, unless you actually train in martial arts or have been in more than a few fights you often don't think of the use of all the parts of your body as weaponry and the ways it can be used. These marines are supposed to tap into that somewhat unused potential.

Guest Mordray

It is rather strange reading about different chapters people create... and how similar their idea's are to stuff I'm working on or dropped because I didn't think it'd work out in the end... it is one reason why I haven't really posted anything... I just can't help but feel as though I'd be stealing someone's 'thunder' if I posted a chapter project with an aspect from their chapter that is also present within mine...

All that said... This brawling style of combat the Bloodsworn employ sounds more like a reasonable way to fight... by employ the entire being one maximizes ones options... and that is rarely a bad thing.

edit: ... twitchy... My point was that every battle I've ever imagined involving any of my marines would be best described as 'brawling' once it got down to the hand to hand aspect... assuming the enemy survived that long...

edit: ... twitchy... My point was that every battle I've ever imagined involving any of my marines would be best described as 'brawling' once it got down to the hand to hand aspect... assuming the enemy survived that long...

That's the difference. Some people assume it's all sweeping sword strokes and such, cool matrix move-esque flawless fight-scenes. Sword against sword and skill vs skill, rather than the actuality of combat. Just because you assume something to be one way does not mean everyone else does in the slightest, though by no means am I being accusatory or attacking you for it. It's also the fact that while it may be one aspect of other chapters fight training, it's the style this chapter focuses on.

The reason I say 'brawling' is you don't often see it in the fluff. The closest is a marine using a Power Fist. Like a traitor marine vs a loyalist, you will often read of them trading sword-strokes rather than smashing into one another. How they pirouette before a particularly devastating blow, or the parry and riposte. Actual knights in the middle ages fought more as brawlers than swordsmen as well, using their entire bodies as the weapon, far from the noble archetype, using knees, elbows and fists. More-so when heavier plate-armour came into common use.

The 'brawler' style I envision is when your strength, size and speed aren't enough. For example when fighting a normal human you would be unlikely, as an Astartes to need to do more than simply anticipate your opponents move and then go for a lethal move, like a strike to crush the skull or snap the neck or similar. However against a more agile enemy (Eldar) or an equal in either strength or size (orks) and speed (other astartes) you need something more.

In any type of combat weapons just about always win out against an unarmed opponent. The fighting style practiced by the Bloodsworn is meant to reduce that disadvantage to the point of reversing it completely since attacking an armed opponent without one of your own is unexpectedly suicidal behavior normally. It will also give you the edge in more equal competitions.

If you have an axe and your opponent has a sword he has the advantage. If you instead of swinging the axe (a brawlers weapon by the way) you wait for him to thrust or swing at you, using your own weapon as leverage you slam your opponent down on his face on the ground before burying the axe in his back. It evens the odds or tips them in your favour.

If you've ever been in a fight you know that they just about always end up on the ground, grappling for the upper hand. Training specifically to avoid being on the receiving end of it or limiting the damage done is a good way to keep your marines alive and give them the edge against equal or more powerful opponents. You hardly ever hear of marines using their brains in a fight, using a stronger enemies strength against them for example. Usually they just beat each other like orks until someone is dead.

On reflection, I'm not sure why I always go into multi-stage explanations for my decisions. I think I need to tone it down a bit.

Guest Mordray

I liked it... for me even if it comes off as a bit harsh it's still information and I really like having information.

Your thoughts on fighting ability and style do coincide with my own experiences. Which I probably allowed to influence my decision... I was also bloody tired when I wrote that post... normally I doubt I'd even post that... let alone write it...

It is interesting that this chapter is taking 'brawling' and turning it into it's own fighting style... that said...

but this chapter's coolest aspect is their focus on choice and being abhuman.

Any ideas on colour scheme or chapter symbol? I ask because I came up with a chapter called the Bloodsworn(or did I see this post not realise I had seen it and subconciously picked out the name) Either way I have both a colour scheme and symbol so if you would like a gander and decide you like them their yours, it would save us both a bit of time and effort im sure.

To everyone who has posted so far, thanks. It's appreciated.

I haven't posted anything lately because of the good old real world getting into the mix. However I will post Combat Doctrine soon, as soon as I can gather my notes and stop getting interrupted in any case.

Any ideas on colour scheme or chapter symbol?

We actually discussed this in the precursor thread to this one, here. I don't want to have all your work done in vain though so I'd love to take a look at what you've got Dazzo.

I can't believe I haven't posted here yet, I'm so ashamed :(

In Origins

The Imperiums inaction however had left an opportunity open to other, older adversaries

Imperium's is missing an apostrophe.

The scouts are supposed to make a pilgrimage across the planet to each settlement and learn from every Arahant they can find before returning to the chapter to continue their training. There are no rules to follow, you can travel with other applicants or not, nor is there any set route or direction. It is all about making the choice to see the task through, or not.

Interesting, though, not every little boy can go around the world in 180 days. Perhaps reconsider it, maybe even place the Monastery on the top of one of the highest mountains and have the boys try and climb it, maybe talking with Arhants before they start, or even on the way up.

I can't believe I haven't posted here yet, I'm so ashamed :)

Well I'm glad my thread evokes such strong emotions, but don't worry about out. Getting here late is better than not at all. I appreciate the time taken to post.

Imperium's is missing an apostrophe.

My eternal battle with punctuation and grammar continue ever onwards towards a climactic conclusion that will tear the very heavens asunder!

Either that or I can just fix it.

Interesting, though, not every little boy can go around the world in 180 days. Perhaps reconsider it, maybe even place the Monastery on the top of one of the highest mountains and have the boys try and climb it, maybe talking with Arhants before they start, or even on the way up.

Well it's after they have begun their training that the neophytes or scouts travel around the planet. Before then they are the young boys who choose to go up into the mountains to find the Bloodsworn. I'd assume they would talk to their settlements Arahant before they go as well.

Also there aren't that many settlements as there aren't too many valleys that have all the right combination of factors to sustainably support human communities, it's the journey itself combined with the teachings of the Arahants that allows the neophyte to show what he has learned. The difference they are trying to distinguish is the difference between intellectual understanding of something, and a true 'understanding'. Like when someone explains something to you a few times and you don't get it, but then suddenly you do. It's more about the truer understanding rather than just knowing the factors.

My eternal battle with punctuation and grammar continue ever onwards towards a climactic conclusion that will tear the very heavens asunder!

Either that or I can just fix it.

But where's the fun in that? :)

On the neophytes, that makes far more sense, though I would suggest rewording. I take it they find the Bloodsworn to qualify to become Astartes, then they go to the different Arahants?

It has potential GHY, it's an interesting take on a Chapter's control over the Black Rage. A couple of issues though:

1- Not sure about no training cadre, but I wont make a deal of it now.

2- You mention about the innate arrogance of the astartes, but remember BA successors are generally known for their humility so you might want to be careful about how you word it.

3- A few grammar mistakes such as missed capitals, but otherwise it looks good.

Now go and finish off the rest of the article.

Now go and finish off the rest of the article.

*salutes* Yessir!

Thanks Ferrus

I've been working back and forth with Combat Doctrine and Beliefs. Doctrine is what you'd expect, but has been fairly annoying to word properly for some reason. Don't worry I'll get it done soon enough. Beliefs are sort of an amalgamation of a few different systems and again has been hard to describe properly without it sounding too convoluted. I might just cut it apart and stick the simpler parts back together and see what I've got.

You mention about the innate arrogance of the astartes, but remember BA successors are generally known for their humility so you might want to be careful about how you word it.

No that's true. I wasn't intending to lump in the Blood Angels with the rest of them, however I should probably state it rather than not, given as I've said myself, the reader isn't a mind reader. I'm forgetting my own rules and guidelines.

On the neophytes, that makes far more sense, though I would suggest rewording. I take it they find the Bloodsworn to qualify to become Astartes, then they go to the different Arahants?

That's exactly it KHK. I think the confusion is coming from my constant use of interchangable terms that in this context shouldn't be used as either/or and stick to one or two words for each part of the induction process. I'll edit it all soon.

I keep saying I'll edit this but I must make a list so that I don't simply forget or overlook it when posting the new additions. In any case, there is more to come.

When they're traveling, they're not getting implants, so I think that also needs clarification. Perhaps periodical returns to the Fortress Monastery needs to be in order?

EDIT: I've also been meaning to beg you to take a look at the Death Heads :P . . . please?

When they're traveling, they're not getting implants, so I think that also needs clarification. Perhaps periodical returns to the Fortress Monastery needs to be in order?

Actually that's a good point. I'll write that in.

Combat doctrine is done. It's a bit disorganized but it's got all the information I want in it as well, I think I need to refine it a bit but I'll let it have other eyes on it first.

• 5 weeks later...

After 1200 posts you are trained in the arts of Threadomancy! Even easier on your own topics. <_<

med_gallery_26631_1168_44988.jpg

This is kind of how I see the Bloodsworn. I want them to have that 'cold' aura about them, the feel they give off of being detached from the slaughter all around them. While true enlightenment is supposed to be totally the opposite and while I have taken certain forms, practices and influences from both Hinduism and Buddhism, two religions with a great swathe of reportedly enlightened teachers, that's not what Space Marines are about and not what I want from these guys.

More like, they have been given the means to keep serving the Emperor as best they can, but they know they can never be at peace or anything else. It's different to the traditional BA 'curse' of turning into a bloody maniac, rather that any sort of peace and true satisfaction in their work can never be attained for them. The tragic twist is something I see as key to the Blood Angels and their successors.

My main problem at the moment is trying to implement some additions.

Perhaps the AdMech wanted to see how Sanguinius geneseed performed, along with the marines themselves, without any outside influences at all. Something like a test on the viability of Sanguinius geneseed even with the known defects.

From my post a fair bit above this one, I'm not sure how to write in a reason for not having a training cadre from a parent chapter in any way that doesn't seem contrived. Suggestions would be more than welcome. As usual I seem to be obsessing over one detail or problem, though once one obstacle is removed the rest typically follows suit as dominoes do.

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to the training cadre, or lack thereof;

Perhaps you don't need to add that idea to this chapter. I'm not really sure what difference it would make.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of not having a training cadre. Certainly it's different, but perhaps this is not the right chapter for the idea, if you see what I mean.

Of course I may be well off the mark, and this could be key to the chapter's development, in which I'll be quiet. :D

Guest Mordray
From my post a fair bit above this one, I'm not sure how to write in a reason for not having a training cadre from a parent chapter in any way that doesn't seem contrived. Suggestions would be more than welcome. As usual I seem to be obsessing over one detail or problem, though once one obstacle is removed the rest typically follows suit as dominoes do.

Below is something I wrote up in another thread... It's my general thoughts on how to deal with Chapter foundation without resorting to a cadre... as I personally don't like the idea of having all chapters of a particular geneseed linked to each other so directly... Mostly for my own benefit as one of my chapter's is rather divergent in their creation even from the beginning. Please not this is still a work in progress...

My general thoughts on the creation of a chapter is this...

Mars selects a perfect example of the chosen line with no sign of mutation. From that one a full one-thousand sets are created over a period of roughly 55 years. <this part is cannon from the Rights of Initiation article>

My belief is that the new marine recruits <which I haven't figured out the origin of...> are likely mind wiped and then retrained to eliminate all cultural relations leaving only the codex and those skills needed to live. Personally I'd imagine that the recruits are trained/implanted at intervals of perhaps five(5) years. They would go through intense training before being seconded to existing campaigns likely starting as scouts who then advance up through the power armor ranks...

Those who display leadership traits are noted and tested with those who pass the additional tests then receiving additional training. the same holds true for psykers, tech-marines, apothecaries and chaplains.

As progressively more squads are trained larger formations of the new chapter will occur as the chapter grows, during these deployments the chapter will be overseen by adepts and possibly the inquisition... the munitorium might also be present as well to offer up advice or wisdom for interacting with the guard...

Eventually the chapter will achieve the 'one thousand marine limit' and be declared ready for their final test... an initiation campaign where the chapter will unleash itself upon man's enemies essentially formally announcing their presence to the universe the Emperor's foes.

Through out this process the chapter will begin to develop it's own culture some may embrace the emperor as a god but most will remember the tenants of the codex speaking of the emperor as just a man, a great man, but still just a man. The chapter's experiences throughout this time will have begun to lay the foundation for their future attitudes toward tactics and the various institutions of the Imperium.

notes:

Contact with other chapters is possible and likely... an Ultra successor who follows a variation of the promethien cult not out of obligation but simply because they want to... thus eliminating the problem of chapters from one gene-seed being trained by another...

That is essentially what I've thought up on the subject of chapter formation for now... all of it is essentially my own thoughts on the matter and probably does contain bits and pieces of information from others on this board that I've read but not really paid attention to... so take it or leave it... it is no different from the cadres just fan-fiction attempting to explain the unexplained with it's own set of strengths and flaws.

Archived