Dark Angels StrikeForce

bevulf

Thank you Brother Kovash !

and just a quick update toady. I was searching through our latest codex looking for some more inspiration and after seeing the deathwing artwork on the 5th page I decided to change my sergeant a bit. I removed the banner and replaced it with a small icon of the angel of death. I don't know what you think but I think he looks better now.

gallery_46134_4822_137202.jpg

and the whole squad:

gallery_46134_4822_202744.jpg

The armour is almost finished - only the finishing touches of skull white / bleached bone left. Hope I will finish these guys before Christmas...

Bevulf, they look awesome! Yes, I think the sergeant looks better without the large back banner. I really like your Catachan sword idea, as I'm not entirely sold on my idea of using the Sanguinary Guard daggers to add in the ceremonial blades for my Deathwalkers, I think they may be just a bit too small.

Bevulf, they look awesome! Yes, I think the sergeant looks better without the large back banner. I really like your Catachan sword idea, as I'm not entirely sold on my idea of using the Sanguinary Guard daggers to add in the ceremonial blades for my Deathwalkers, I think they may be just a bit too small.

Thanks Bryan,

I also have the sanguinary daggers but you are right they look too small for Termies. I really recommend the catachan blades :)

Thank you guys !!

I finished them few days ago but couldn't post a picture earlier:

gallery_46134_4822_138534.jpg

I like them so much that I decided to paint in the future two more squads (one command and one for CC)

and here they are with the rest:

gallery_46134_4822_452771.jpg

Soooooooo, you went for green casings and green scabards! I just lost a silent bet with myself! :)

Suffice to say: EXCELLENT STUFF!!!

Personally I always prefer the stone/cold whites over the bone/warm whites for DW* - it sort of gives them a "ghost" quality over a "skeleton" quality. While the latter can be scary it is also tangible whereas the ghost-like visage adds further to the terror! The pale head of the segeant adds to that!

The swords turned out a great success - the "broken" effect is very well made and clear too! And they look perfectly proportioned - I always thought that in the original metals it looked like knives...

What can I say bevulf - you got the Lion's touch :lol: Is there another squad coming?

* not to worry, I can't do either - hence Disciples :)

Thanks guys,

Captain Semper@ I wondered which scheme to choose - bone armour with green additions and gold crux terminatus or with white/stone just as you mentioned. I decided to paint bone with green because of two main reasons:

- I wanted to create a solid contrast to the bone and as the deathwing members are dark angels after all (they were scouts of the chapter, marines etc.), I painted some details dark green just to more resemble their origin.

- Second reason is more simple: I like the 2nd/3rd edition metal deathwing termies and how they were painted back in the 90ties. I just wanted to 'update' them to the 'current' times ^_^

Awesome guys bevulf! I like how you pulled them off, I'm not totally sold on the green, but I completely agree with your reasoning behind the use. The swords are great and I really do like the hearkening back. Everything comes together so awesomely on the squad that even though the green is more distracting to me, I'd hate to see them coming to stomp my face even while going "Wow..."

Great stuff Bevulf. I'll be going with the 2E Deathwing look too. Nice to see somebody do it first with the newer Terminators, and do it well. Your work will serve as a nice reference, once I get off my butt and get back to working on my Deathwing units. I am pretty sure they will be serving to inspire others as well, so thanks for creating/updating the thread. :)

Well bevulf - they kind of look like cold-white to me! What I said above was under the assumption that you made them more towards stone rather than bone color - The picture must have distorted it because the more I look at it - the more stone-like they look! :P

Regardless, they look awesome so Kudos to you sir!

I think I didn't catch your point. I thought that you meant the stone looking crux terminaturs not the bone armour :unsure:

well, I painted the armour with khemri brown/ bleached bone / skull white mixes and glazes instead of bubonic/bleached/white. This gave the final more "white" bone look rather than the common "yellowish" bone (I prefer the whitebones over the yellow looking ones).

the colours that I used are the same that I use for robes and chest eagles on normal marines. Some different views:

gallery_46134_4822_224959.jpg

gallery_46134_4822_322097.jpg

Would you mind expanding on how you painted the deathwing squad?

ie did you start with khermi brown over a black or white primer?

Then layer 50/50 with khermi and bleached bone, then bone, then 50/50 skull white and bone?

What did you use for a wash, and when?

Just picked up 5 AOBR termies for painting test models.... :D

Thank you all guys...

and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!! :D

@shabbadoo - below is the requested view:

gallery_46134_4822_421372.jpg

@Haranin - I painted them over the codex grey basecoat starting with (I dillute all paints with water):

1. Khemri Brown, followed by:

2. Khemri/Bleached Bone (2:1 mix)

3. Khemri/Bleached (1:1)

4. Devlun Mud wash (into recesses)

5. Khemri/bleached/Skull White (1:1:1 mix)

6. Gryphonne Sephia wash (dilluted with water again ionto recesses)

7. Khemri/bleached/Skull White (1:1:2 mix)

8. Skull White highlight into the edges of the armour

you can also do some glazes with heavily dilluted graveyard earth (in recesses), followed by a glaze of skull white and bleached bone heavily dilluted with glaze medium or water (glazed on the large parts of the armour).

I did the glazes because I found the armour not so well covered with the previous mixes. It is optional. Without glazes the armour will look more dirty and worn.

Hope it helps.

Archived