For those new to the runic alphabet

El Scotcho

I have found some info on the interwebs that you may find useful.

gallery_48045_4054_5292.gif

1st) It's called the futhark, named for the first letters, kinda of like our modern qwerty keyboards.

2nd) It's written right to left, not left to right like English

3rd) (and most importantly) It looks completely badass

So if you are into authenticity in your space vikings, try naming one of your wolves weapons. Also remember, one of the first recorded comments about viking raiders was that "they were much too clean" (attributed to an unknown English invadee). Vikings were not necessarily the dirty barbaric invaders, come to beat the women and burn the village, that you may have been taught. They went far and wide to procure the best of everything, and they didn't always steal it either.

Not trying to make anybody change their army up, but for those who want to give a bit of an authentic look to their Wolves, some food (or ale if you prefer) for thought.

That is the norse alphabet my friend :)

I have known about it since i was 11years old but i prefer using norwegian names since you really dont have anywhere on your keyboard that are going to type out these letters.

And yes you are right, English women actually liked the norsemen because they tok a bath once a week, combed their hair and changed clothes often thus staying quite clean considering the time they lived in.

You guys should really search youtube for "Ancient Warriors: The Vikings" it takes half an houer to watch it all tops and is really informative, or read snorre's (snorri i believe you call him) legacy of kings.

I haven't seen that particular vid, but I've watched and read a lot on the Vikings (enough to know that that word is a verb, not a title). I am sort of collecting bits of info and compiling them for those interested.

In that same vein, I found another interesting bit of internet coolness. Nordic Names This is a website devoted to all names, male, female, mythological, etc. from the Scandinavian region of the world. I personally clicked on norwegian names and then specified male, and it was showing 200 names at a time, and I dug through til I hit the J's and I filled a sheet of paper with names I liked for my guys. You could even use different names from different countries to represent wolves from different parts of Fenris. Again just putting info in a place that people might find it useful.

Just keep in mind that norse words (even tough actually quite simmilar to old english whatever that means) doesnt neccesarily use the same words as we do so even tough you write with their alphabet the words doesnt have to make sense in norse.

About the name thing i just need to look around me, my dads name is bjørn for eksample and some fellow students have fitting names like Runar and Sigurd.

Your lucky then. People near me have names like Frank and Luis and Javier and Bob, because I live in south florida (well technically central florida but who am I to split hairs).

Man if you want to just send me some fluff for whatever character you want me to make a name for and i will give you a proper norwegian one ^_^

Say Erik Blodøks=Erik Bloodaxe Probably easily guessed but quite fitting for a lord with a frost axe with the warriorborn saga.

And the best thing is that that was the name of the second king of norway after it was unified into one country by his father Harald HÃ¥rfagre (Harald Prettyhair if i was to translate it directly) And the reason he was given this name was because he had sworn not to cut his hair before he had conquered all of norway and once he eventually conquered the hwole thing and cut his hair it was so pretty compared to what it had been.

I have found some info on the interwebs that you may find useful.

So if you are into authenticity in your space vikings, try naming one of your wolves weapons. Also remember, one of the first recorded comments about viking raiders was that "they were much too clean" (attributed to an unknown English invadee). Vikings were not necessarily the dirty barbaric invaders, come to beat the women and burn the village, that you may have been taught. They went far and wide to procure the best of everything, and they didn't always steal it either.

Not trying to make anybody change their army up, but for those who want to give a bit of an authentic look to their Wolves, some food (or ale if you prefer) for thought.

gallery_48798_4033_2398.gif

Hehe, always fun to hear other people talk about my part of the world ;P

And no, just to make this clear from the start, we do not have any polar bears in Sweden.

Hoho. I heard rumour about Bjorn actually being called Björn, with an ö, this time around in the coex.. is that true? :) Bjorn/Björn means bear in Swedish, btw.

BTW- thats the Elder Futhark, because its older :). Its called "FUTHARK" as thats the first letter of each symbol in the first Aette *8 symbols, or the top row*.

Some will show a "blank rune" if thats the case... theyre on crack. It was invented about a hundred years ago and has nothing to do with the rest of the set- though if they send one with some youve bought its just nice to have a spare, god forbid anything happens to one.

I reccommend:

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/

As someone whos been researching and using runes for over a decade. Ive done alot of reading since and frankly these guys have some of the most accurate and will backed information Ive ever found.

2nd) It's written right to left, not left to right like English

not necessarily true, archeological finds have shown runes being written left to right, right to left, top to bottom and bottom to top. but like it's been said, why split hairs...

i do believe we have some good heathens here... :)

Vikings were not necessarily the dirty barbaric invaders, come to beat the women and burn the village, that you may have been taught. They went far and wide to procure the best of everything, and they didn't always steal it either.

Something I'm regularly having to explain to people, and why I'm so proud of my ancestry. It's all just christian propaganda and misinformation.

And to stay OT :P

All my tanks/dreadnoughts have or will get names and individual marines that do spectacularly well will also be rewarded with names to encourage the others to de well in the future :D

Of course there was the time they scewered small children on spears to scare the *bleep* out of the french to get them to pay a rather hefty tribute.

On the other hand theres the Varangian Gaurd, and the Russian Nation......

There were alot of viking variants eh?

just sniffing around seeing what i see, and what do i find? Runes? actual eldar futhark? Im so impressed someone actually did their research? *stands up and claps* does my heart good, to see people openly studing their ancestry, and grey mage! Helsa Bruder! nice to see a fellow um, non-christian shall we say? I have been studing for over a decade myself. I started playing 40k about 10yrs ago, and the guy teaching me how to play ran space wolves, so I went with something different, Dark Angels. Having seen this though, Im starting to wonder if I need to come up with some marines holding a mead horn, maybe some round combat shields, and AXES, gota love them axes... hell i dont even play with that guy anymore he moved away... I hate to be a bandwagon jumper but, hmmm.... where is that grey paint....

Well thats just awesome. I like it when something I'm interested in sparks interest in others.

I just want to say, that while not of Scandinavian or Norse descent, I am second generation Bavarian, so my people once used these as well, we just didn't use the ships. I plan to get my name and place of birth tattooed around a crux terminatus whenever I can save enough money, but I digress..

As far as runic alphabets go, while the elder futhark may be the one everything else is based on, the futhorc is the one I'll prolly use.

gallery_48045_4054_14330.jpg

As you can see, it has more letters, and some different symbols for the same letters. I think this is the one I will prolly use for the simple fact that I can spell more things with it.

And thanks for the offer of doing up a character name in norwegian for me, I will PM you with a couple later on.

Remember with runes that its not quite as simple as the word... its more of a concept.

For instance, in the EF "Fehu" means not only wealth but also power in motion, efficiency, and worth. Uruz on the other hand was actually for "Aurachs" wich are an extinct species of cowlike creature... but it also represented strength with overtones of courage and stoutness.

Etc etc etc.

Not to be picky but how can there two wolf lords in one company?

But yeah bloodaxe is a good one and the reason eirik got this was because hes fuse very short....

I mean he cut down one of his brothers just because bjørn (his brother) wouldnt allow him to transport the tax the sons had collected for their father from the areas they were put in command of.

Or in closer detail when bjørn refused eirik got pissed left and came back armed at night, put bjørns longhouse on fire and as they came sprinting out the only door eirik and his warriors cut them down.

Eirik was later ambushed and killed and håkon (one of Haralds youngest sons that he sendt to England) returned and tok over, he then fought Eiriks seven sons (he was their uncle so much for family love :D) at several occasions and was eventually killed by them, just for them to split the country in two because they just couldnt agree, started killing each other off and eventually beeing finish of the some Jarl (chief) that i cant remember the name of taking the country again beating up some germans (after some of their jarls got drunk at a party and pledged to take norway).

But thats enough history (fluff) for now, i am actually thinking of making a book with the cover made from tree and actually writing the name of my company on it.

Even tough this is not very fluffy since as grey mage mentioned runes can mean allot of things, and their meaning only become clear once combined with other runes so that they make sense.

Archived