For those new to the runic alphabet

El Scotcho

What i meant was isnt Ragnar the wolf lord in his great company, how can there be two or have i completely messed up the fluff?

Like as in lucian beeing a wolf lord aswell as Ragnar, wich is wierd since companies is ruled by a single wolf lord only.

I have decided, after some careful thought, I will be making any runic inscriptions on my marines in English, because it is my native language, and I would like to be able to read the inscriptions to people when they (and they will) ask what the runes mean.

On a side note, I have found the perfect place to put runes on my marines. Carving them into the chainswords is not really hard, and looks very good (if I do say so myself). Also on that rune interpretation site someone linked earlier, they explained some of the ways certain runes were used to represent alternate letters that aren't in the elder futhark, so I have decided to use it as it is easier to carve into the minis.

• 8 months later...
I have been giving some thought to putting them on my Wolves's weapons. And I am planning on a bind rune for a Chapter symbol,but have been having trouble deciding on what to use. Trying to make something that looks good and appropriate,but without putting too much intent in,as..*shrugs* I was taught that it is best to avoid asking too much when it isn't needed.

Wonder if anybody could bother to write what the concept of each rune is. (Plan to use them as pack markings.)

One keg of Fenrisian ale for the one providing me with the concept for each rune. :P

That'll be some runic magic then, heh? Look at these first... If You need some more info, I'd suggest You picking up "Taking Up The Runes: A Complete Guide To Using Runes In Spells, Rituals, Divination, And Magic" by Diana Paxson, and yes, it's sitting on my bookshelf along with a set of runes. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm playing Space Wolves. And I am going after that keg of ale now :)

I know a decent amount about them. I have...well..I have believed the way I have for over half my life so it's more about..Well..Not asking for more then is needed. I was wanting to go for Strength and Luck,But most of the bindrunes I have used have also incorporated Need,which to my mind is unnecessary and asking for trouble.

I am also wanting something that can be fairly easily painted,so wasn't going to incorporate more than 3.

*chuckles* this is alot harder to describe then I had thought it would be. Guess this is what happens when you spend your time solo.

I live in the East Midlands of England, so I'm far less likely to find decent Nordic names like you guys :D

Very nice pieces of info here, I reckon we should have a sticky :)

I don't wanna be a wet blanket or anything, and it's not like it really matters as far as it's concerning toy soldiers, but I wanted to give a fair warning about anything rune related on the internet. For the most part it's just a load of esoterical bull.

It's not a problem really, just don't expect it to have much of an actual historical reference.

I don't wanna be a wet blanket or anything, and it's not like it really matters as far as it's concerning toy soldiers, but I wanted to give a fair warning about anything rune related on the internet. For the most part it's just a load of esoterical bull.

It's not a problem really, just don't expect it to have much of an actual historical reference.

That is the same as saying anything related to Christianity is just as likely to be a load of esoterical bull.

So rather then get into a discussion about the relative merits and drawbacks of religions,I think its safer to keep the discussion to the topic at hand. Which in this case is the various Runic Alphabets,what they are historically proven to represent and so on.

And to respond to an earlier question..So far I think Eihwaz and Uruz But I can't think of a third that would fit and be distinctive enough to be recognized.

You got me totally wrong here.

This wasn't supposed to be a commentary about religion in any way.

I'm an archaeologist.

I deal with stuff like this on a daily basis, and all I was trying to say is that the information about runes, presented on websites in a popular scientific way, do in no way bear any historically correct rendition of how or why runes were used in early historic times.

That's all.

You got me totally wrong here.

This wasn't supposed to be a commentary about religion in any way.

I'm an archaeologist.

I deal with stuff like this on a daily basis, and all I was trying to say is that the information about runes, presented on websites in a popular scientific way, do in no way bear any historically correct rendition of how or why runes were used in early historic times.

That's all.

Ahhh...My apologies then. Yes I will admit that there are some definitely dubious sites out there,but not all are. Many of them do their research,and those tend to be the ones that people who aren't clueless recommend.

Ahhh...My apologies then.

No prob.

For people who are hardcore interested:

The early runic language of Scandinavia : studies in Germanic dialect geography

/ Nielsen, Hans Frede . - Heidelberg : Winter, 2000

An introduction to English runes

/ Page, Raymond I. . - 2. ed. - Woodbridge[u.a.] : Boydell, 1999

Norwegian runes and runic inscriptions

/ Spurkland, Terje . - Woodbridge : Boydell Press, 2005

Texts & contexts of the oldest runic inscriptions

/ Looijenga, Tineke . - Leiden [u.a.] : Brill, 2003

Hehe, always fun to hear other people talk about my part of the world ;P

And no, just to make this clear from the start, we do not have any polar bears in Sweden.

Hoho. I heard rumour about Bjorn actually being called Björn, with an ö, this time around in the coex.. is that true? ;) Bjorn/Björn means bear in Swedish, btw.

Do you happen to know what Njal means? I've always wondered and never had an opportunity to ask someone who might know.

Hehe, always fun to hear other people talk about my part of the world ;P

And no, just to make this clear from the start, we do not have any polar bears in Sweden.

Hoho. I heard rumour about Bjorn actually being called Björn, with an ö, this time around in the coex.. is that true? :P Bjorn/Björn means bear in Swedish, btw.

Do you happen to know what Njal means? I've always wondered and never had an opportunity to ask someone who might know.

Well according to wikipedia, it's actually Gaelic name, which originated from - surprising - Neil.

"Neil is a masculine given name of Gaelic origin. The name is an Anglicisation of the Gaelic Niall which is of disputed origin and meaning. The Gaelic name possibly means "cloud", "passionate", or "champion". The Gaelic name was also adopted by the Norse, taking the form Njál (see Nigel). During the Middle Ages, the Gaelic name was popular in Ireland and Scotland. During the 20th century Neil began to be used in England and North America, and grew in popularity throughout the English-speaking world; however, in England, it has recently been eclipsed by the Gaelic form."

Archived