Vallejo Game Colour for Wolves

Natanael

Alright. Some time ago I put up a post about using foundation paints on wolves, and what to use. It resulted after some time in a great toutorial (sp?) by littlbitz, one that I an very thankful for. Anyway, looking at the paint section of my local store, I noticed the Vallejo Game Colours, and asked the manager about them. He said that they were very good. A little thinner than GW paints, in better bottles and they gave a little more cartoony look.

So, my question would be: Is anyone using them while painting wolves? Maybe some tips on what colours to use?

Otherwise I'll just try to make my own recepie, and post here when I am happy with the results.

- Natanael

The game colours are the exact same lineup as the GW paints.

I only use vallejo paints.

This is what mine look like with a black primer, and 2 coats of their version of the "Space Wolf" Colours.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/lunchb0x/DreadnoughtFront.jpg

I can assure you that Vallejo paints are some of the best and finest around. Most military figure modelers use them. Some exclusively, like Latorre, a great 54mm modeler. I have nearly the whole range, but I do not like using them on game pieces like my SW army. I prefer to use them only with showcase pieces. Andrea paints are also very good.

Therefore, I can't offer you a recipe for a mix, but with some colours you have to be patient. Also let the paint dry properly before applying second layers, especially with the reds and yellows. You can peel off the layer underneath with Vallejo, that's how fine they are. In fact, I suggest using GW foundation paints for red (mechrite red) and yellow (Iyanden yellow) base coats.

Night Runner is right about Vallejo paints and their use by many military modelers; however, I believe that MOST of those military modelers would be using the "Model Color" line from Vallejo, as compared to the "Game Color" line of paints. The Model Color paints have a very FLAT finish when applied. I found them to be so heavily pigmented that many were somewhat chalky. The Game Color line was made to have a bit more of a satin or semi-gloss finish, similar to Games Workshop paints, and closer to what I prefer when painting. For much of my own painting, I switched over to the Game Color line years ago, as I was sick of GW's paint drying in the bottle. I haven't had quite that experience with the Game Color paints drying in the bottle. A few of them have done that, but it's taken YEARS to do so, rather than months. Unfortunately, I haven't seen many places carrying the Game Color line of paints lately, so I've started to switch to (mostly) Reaper's Master Series paints. But, I haven't had the need to get my main Space Wolf colors with the Reaper Master Series paints yet, so I haven't tried exact color matching with those yet.

As for Game Color equivalents, here are the closest approximations:

GW Shadow Grey = Game Color Sombre Grey

GW Space Wolf Grey = Game Color Wolf Grey

GW Ghostly Grey (now OOP) = Game Color Ghost Grey

GW Codex Grey = Game Color Cold Grey

GW Fortress Grey = Game Color Stonewall Grey

I hope this helps!

Archived