Thunderwolf Cavalry Conversion

Voracioustigger

So, thanks to TheForgotten for allowing me to brain dump myself into this idea...

What would people think about using 2-3 Wulfen on large bases in dynamic (maybe leaping) poses as Thunderwolf Cavalry? They move at around the same speed. The S5 2W tons of attacks and Rending all fit with Wulfen. The rule that Wolves re-roll Ld when they can see them makes sense with Wulfen (as the Wulfen are beginning to look more like Wolves than Marines, so they are more apt to control them).

I mean, maybe some green stuff to make the Wulfen a BIT larger to justify the T5, but what do people think of this? Is this conversion too far off? I have 30 or so Wulfen models that will never again see the table, and I'm not too keen on buying 8-12 $40 Canis minis to convert into Thunderwolves that GW may get rid of in 5 years, so does this seem like a good use for them? Maybe even throw on a Fenrisian wolf on some of the models mixed in with the Wulfen?

I agree with the great beaver. The models are too small to represent the calvary. I think I alot of the people here are going to make a wulfen-eque model the size of a terminator or even a bit bigger to represent the thunderwolf calvary. That's what I may try. I have something else in mind too but I'll know if it will work after i try it. And I'll be sure to post pics too if it works out.

I may not even use them though because I like skyclaws and swiftclaws too much. And I like landspeeders. ZOOM!!

I think I alot of the people here are going to make a wulfen-eque model the size of a terminator or even a bit bigger to represent the thunderwolf calvary.

I have an immense termie lord converted with MotW based on an Oblit which I used for my 13th Co. when that was still a list (about three times - until I found out that TDA sucks for 13 Co.). The model is still ace, though, and is of course equipped with LCs.

I'll use that as a Thunderwolf (or even Canis) for now.

I sure as hell don't feel like forking out 35 Euros for that furry cow that GW has produced.

What model is being used for the wolf?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...t&p=1798084

Not the cheapest way to go, but that is your choice to make. From Privateer Press> Hordes> Circle of Orobos> Kaya the MoonHunter. Blister comes with her and this wolf in two parts.

ttp://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/circle-orboros/warlocks/kaya-the-moonhunter-laris

Link intentionally left cold, just copy and paste then add an "h".

I agree with the great beaver. The models are too small to represent the calvary. I think I alot of the people here are going to make a wulfen-eque model the size of a terminator or even a bit bigger to represent the thunderwolf calvary. That's what I may try. I have something else in mind too but I'll know if it will work after i try it. And I'll be sure to post pics too if it works out.

I may not even use them though because I like skyclaws and swiftclaws too much. And I like landspeeders. ZOOM!!

Well, I think people are sort of confusing my idea. People do "counts as" all the time even with vastly different models (Eldar exodites as jetbikes, Space Wolves riding wolves counting as bikers, etc.). Clearly, even the large Wulfen type models are not representative of the cavalry (Rider+Wolf), but lots of people are going in that direction.

So, to rephrase my post... Would you be opposed to playing someone who played with essentially a Wulfen pack, but used the TW Cavalry rules? Assuming they are based and equipped properly, would you have a problem with that conversion? Would you oppose using them in a tourney? Obviously, they won't look like Thunderwolf Cavalry, but the Stats and purposes of the unit closely resemble Wulfen (a now useless model), so it seems like a good use for them.

So... Now what do you think?

Well, I think people are sort of confusing my idea. People do "counts as" all the time even with vastly different models (Eldar exodites as jetbikes, Space Wolves riding wolves counting as bikers, etc.). Clearly, even the large Wulfen type models are not representative of the cavalry (Rider+Wolf), but lots of people are going in that direction.

So, to rephrase my post... Would you be opposed to playing someone who played with essentially a Wulfen pack, but used the TW Cavalry rules? Assuming they are based and equipped properly, would you have a problem with that conversion? Would you oppose using them in a tourney? Obviously, they won't look like Thunderwolf Cavalry, but the Stats and purposes of the unit closely resemble Wulfen (a now useless model), so it seems like a good use for them.

So... Now what do you think?

I would have no problem whatsoever, so long as it was clearly explained before-hand, and the Wulfen had the appropriate upgrades modelled from the TWC options (e.g. a Storm Shield if you buy that for one of more of your Wulfen/TWC, etc.). Otherwise, I wouldn't care if someone used Wulfen as "counts-as" TWC.

Valerian

I agree with Valerian. I play the game to have fun and don't care too much about being a stickler about things. As long as you explained it to me I would be okay. I never played a tourney before so I don't know how people there would be cool with it or not. But from what I hear they're more intense about it than others. Go ahead with it. And have fun. Let us know if you have any issues with people having an issue with it.

I think I may of found a suitable model for a thunderwolf.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/inc/sdetail/357308

The size of the model can handle a space marine on the back. Using the above video, I believe it will be possible to easily convert a unit of these up. The downside is the site only had 3 models left (other people are probably thinking the same thing) so I will have a bare minimum unit to start off with, unless the unit size starts at 2 models. I picturing my wolf lord Vikarr Winterclaw mounted on one with his frost axe in one hand and maybe a claw in the other.

So, thanks to TheForgotten for allowing me to brain dump myself into this idea...

What would people think about using 2-3 Wulfen on large bases in dynamic (maybe leaping) poses as Thunderwolf Cavalry? They move at around the same speed. The S5 2W tons of attacks and Rending all fit with Wulfen. The rule that Wolves re-roll Ld when they can see them makes sense with Wulfen (as the Wulfen are beginning to look more like Wolves than Marines, so they are more apt to control them).

I mean, maybe some green stuff to make the Wulfen a BIT larger to justify the T5, but what do people think of this? Is this conversion too far off? I have 30 or so Wulfen models that will never again see the table, and I'm not too keen on buying 8-12 $40 Canis minis to convert into Thunderwolves that GW may get rid of in 5 years, so does this seem like a good use for them? Maybe even throw on a Fenrisian wolf on some of the models mixed in with the Wulfen?

First of all- i think this idea is GREAT ! Very creative.

Secondly, what are you 30 or so Wulfen armed with?

First of all- i think this idea is GREAT ! Very creative.

Secondly, what are you 30 or so Wulfen armed with?

Well, right now they just have claws (fits perfectly with Rending), but I would convert 1-2 to have Thunder Hammers or Storm Shields. If one model was given both, then maybe one Wulfen swinging a Hammer and the other carrying the shield.

I mean, at first I was hesitant, but a friend of mine has a Chaos Daemon army that is basically entirely made from converted Lost and the Damned IG (Even the Daemon princes are actually converted Sentinels), and he's gotten nothing but praise for them, including in tournament settings. I'm not saying my idea is anywhere near that cool, but hopefully it will be accepted just the same.

GW can Cry WYSIWYG all they want, but in the end, I think if the Wulfen are equipped properly and over 50% of the model is GW parts, then no one can fault me for using them as Cavalry.

Just for a cheaper (money, not points) solution how about sticking a lotr warg and a space wolf on the same base and say he just dismounted to fight on foot for a second?

Eh, the Warg there is on a 40mm base... TW Cav are supposed to be on a 60mm base... which leads me to believe that those Wargs aren't much larger than FWs.

Just for a cheaper (money, not points) solution how about sticking a lotr warg and a space wolf on the same base and say he just dismounted to fight on foot for a second?

Eh, the Warg there is on a 40mm base... TW Cav are supposed to be on a 60mm base... which leads me to believe that those Wargs aren't much larger than FWs.

They're not. They are standard cavalry size in LOTR, i.e. comparable to a horse. And as LOTR models are actually smaller than WH ones (25mm as opposed to 28mm), you're still deep in the woods with those warg models. Although there is no denying a box of a few plastic wargs could make passable FW - but note that they have no real wolf tail!

He is too thin. But longiness and height are just right.

or one could follow this video. i wish it were in english.

As for the youtube film I will try to translate:

"(blablabla) this is wolf Laris from Kaya and Laris Epic Worlock. Wolf is as big as a normal space marine, and in mine opinion space marine look well on that huge bastard. The model of Laris is cool, because it has got an armor with engraved mothives, that suits well runic theme of Space Wolves.

When doing cavalery model, it's very important to match legs of the rider. I will do mines, using normal legs from tactical squad box. They doesn't fit of course , so it will be necessarily to match them to the mount. I have cut them with originall Games Workshop razor saw, but you can use chirurgical bone saw (it is practically the same). I have trimed elements along the armor on leg, and then just break them down. THe same with other leg. Remaining joints I have removed by modeling knife. To perfect match the marine to the wolf, wolf has to be glued. To do this, it has to be made by using dense glue with filler, because that model has got empty spaces in it. To such kind of work I'm using Poxipol.

Now it's time to leg modelling. To do this, it will be necessary to conform and pin them. After marking places for canals, I've drilled holes in legs and hips. To make rider sit hardly on the wolf it will be needed to make one more hole on the bottom of the hip to pin it to the sadle. After trying out when to do this, I have drilled a hole at the wolf back. After applicating glude to the hole in the hip, I've realized, that glue has came out through the other holes, that were link together. In this case you can use paper towel to remove leftover glue. After gluing pins I have sit the hips onto the wolf to match it. Legs are put in that way, they will match into the sides of the mount.

Now it's time to try on the torsos. Eventually I have chosed third option.

When the glue has dry, it was time to fill the gaps in the joint by usin green stuff. Green Stuff doesn't stick to wet surface, it is good to stow by wooden tools because you can wet it well. Remember to damp yput metal tools with water, that way Stuff will not stick to it and will not extend. You can also fill gaps in the wolf model.

Using 3mm drill I've made a hole in the base, to pin Laris.

Now I realised, that Purity Seals are not the order of the day in Space Wolves army. ANd it's not weird, if the Maines have grown teeth, and got acute senses.

Last elements I have done on that stage of progress was making pins on the Laris paws. I like gluing models hard to their bases according to the rule: three pins are better than one.

That is almost finished conversion of the Rider, now just glue head and arms, and it will be almost finished. Because I like to paint it seperatly, I will glue them after that.

Painting will be shown at the next SPIM.

Thank you for watching, cheers. You are more than welcome to comment the film on youtube, and cytadela.pl ."

Uff, that was hard one to me:)

I hope it'll help to understeand something. Despite mine poor grammar, and vocabulary.

• 1 month later...

The size of the model can handle a space marine on the back. Using the above video, I believe it will be possible to easily convert a unit of these up. The downside is the site only had 3 models left (other people are probably thinking the same thing) so I will have a bare minimum unit to start off with, unless the unit size starts at 2 models. I picturing my wolf lord Vikarr Winterclaw mounted on one with his frost axe in one hand and maybe a claw in the other.

A good looking model, but like always with companies not named GW, they never offer more than one pose for figures like this. So unless people wanted 5 of the exact same thing (as they are typically sculpted in a "builds only one way" method with other companies), it's basically $10 for one model that won't match the others in the squad; or $50 and they all look identical.

Again, a little patience to see if a resculpt or new release for the ThunderWolf models is announced for the second wave of the SW models may prove fruitful.

This is the option I have settled down to since I received the new dex. I'll wait till the second wave comes out and checkout if GW provides us with new TWC models of any good quality. I think its smarter than going all crazy spending a lot of money and time on non-GW wolves TWC equivalents just to be able to use them in a game.

So for now I'll use the troops I got and make good use of them (and that's what generals did in history by the way, they used what they had at hand to fight and win a battle and not what they wished they had), and if the new models are any good I'll invest in two or three.

• 2 months later...

Archived